• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Phil Harrison Keynote @ GDC Thread.

Mmmkay

Killzone info:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3157798
It wasn't called 'Killzone 2,' it was just called 'Killzone' and the video footage appeared to be artifacted somehow. It wasn't the clear, crisp HD footage Harrison's presentation had been populated with -- it was almost like an afterthought. It didn't look as good as the fake-footage we saw at E3 2005, but it didn't look bad, either. It was just a half-hearted show of particle effects, bullets ripping through warehouses, tearing apart kitchens and showcasing the rag doll physics in the Killzone engine. If the footage ever surfaces, it'll likely be treated as an 'engine' demonstration, but the first-person perspective, gunplay and action clearly show gameplay in some state.

Is is soooooooooooo much better than I ever imagined! I'm officially happy today even though it's not available now. Wooooooooooooooooooooow!!!! $599.99 purchase officially justified.

btrboyev

that above pic is just an example of shit the will be problematic with this service

"don't spam the channels"

how many douchebags are there gonna be just sitting it in all the time?

What kind of hacks are people going to come ujp with to **** around in here or maybe even **** up peoples shit?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Little big planet looks more crushingly amazing than even I expected. Everyone needs to see that trailer.

I think the "what's the best looking 2D game" discussions won't exist anymore after this :p

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Well, Home and LBP have succeeded in passing the first test, but there are still obstacles to overcome.

13:47.20 -

Here's big Phil!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wow, little big planet sounds absolutely incredible..and this is coming from someone that isn't a big Sony fan.

Are you guys commenting on the Home trailer or a live feed from the keynote? (Sorry, I just got online and I'm trying to play catch-up quickly.)

akenatone

I had low expectations. But if sony can deliver on this, I am very impressed. I wonder how the others will react? Sony just made GDC a new E3.

Blunty

Videos downloading waaay too slow :( Is sounding good thought from the comments posted. Hopefully we can still expect more though, right?

edit: Oh, okay, Phil Harrison's speech only just started...

Borys

Banned
THIS IS THE ANTI-E3 2006 for Sony.

THIS IS MADNESS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Live + Mii Channel + ****TON OF AWESOME + FREE = HOME

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
Eighty zillion times more awesome than I was expecting. Can you imagine how shocked everyone would be if this wasn't leaked? No wonder they were extra angry about it.

Still, we'll see how much of what's promised actually comes out any time soon. I have a feeling the feature set is going to get reduced as time goes on. Also we'll see how micro-transactionified everything ends up being.

Anyway, even if they only get part of it actually working it's a big step forward.

SleazyC

1up caught a glimpse of Killzone PS3.

Explaining that this was a work-in-progress and it wouldn't be a part of his GDC Keynote the following morning, Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios President Phil Harrison wanted a way to point at the power that the PlayStation 3 could unlock. At the conclusion of a presentation that unveiled 'Home' and the irrefutably smart LittleBigPlanet, Sony showed us Killzone.

It wasn't called 'Killzone 2,' it was just called 'Killzone' and the video footage appeared to be artifacted somehow. It wasn't the clear, crisp HD footage Harrison's presentation had been populated with -- it was almost like an afterthought. It didn't look as good as the fake-footage we saw at E3 2005, but it didn't look bad, either. It was just a half-hearted show of particle effects, bullets ripping through warehouses, tearing apart kitchens and showcasing the rag doll physics in the Killzone engine. If the footage ever surfaces, it'll likely be treated as an 'engine' demonstration, but the first-person perspective, gunplay and action clearly show gameplay in some state.

EDIT - beaten above!

kevm3

$500-$600 is quickly becoming a BARGAIN to me. I want this bad. And the Little Big Planet is AWESOME. Reminds me of what a Yoshi's Island next gen could really be. WOW.

Awesome artstyle and those sweet, sweet physics.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
suddenly neogaf's "believe" isnt a a symbole for a pipedream anymore.
this is so awesome. they actually delivered. bravo, bravo.

Wes

venison crêpe
Hmm media player is being annoying. More screenshots soon:

chair2.jpg

vasuba

Banned
Home is great and all but seriously people its nothing more then second life with achievements from games. it doesnt justify 600 bucks calm down. Youd think it was some super awesome game

little big planet OMGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADD

HOME looks sweet!!!

Wonder if I can buy a Pink vneck ...

PleoMax

Banned
Home is pointless, it's a game in its own, like the things with Mii, why the **** would i want to spend time in that shit instead of playing the real games?

I don't get it-

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Bad_Boy said:
home is simply awesome. theres no spinning that.

Hey Bad_Boy want to meet up at the Sony Dome at 7:00 pm to play some pool? :lol

This is ****ing living

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
******* and Engadget live at Sony's 2007 GDC keynote

Posted Mar 7th 2007 1:32PM by Ross Miller
Filed under: Features, Sony PlayStation 3, GDC
10:20 a.m.: We're being let in and taking our seats now.

10:30 a.m.: We've taken our seats, but the press is still milling about. Coldplay is playing over the sound system, a PlayStation logo is on the screen, and giant props from the just-announced-this-morning LittleBigPlanet flank both sides of the massive screen.

10:32 a.m.: On the left side of the stage there's a large tree--pretty much life-size--that looks like it's made out of a glob of clay, the right side has a gear rotating, about the same size as the tree. Is it a water wheel? Colored lights glaze across the ceiling in maroon, greens, and blues.

10:33 a.m.: The room fits about 5,000 people, it will be full. A many-iterations removed remix of an LCD Soundsystem song is playing

10:38 a.m.: They've just brought out giant bouncy soccer balls, which the crowd eagerly bounces above their heads. We've just been told they'll be throwing out additional balls through two "goals" on the left and ridde side of the auditorium. Camera people grab their precious gear while we nervously guard our laptops. The balls are obviously from LittleBigPlanet ... or maybe a next-gen soccer-sim for giants.

10:39 a.m.: The two screens flanking the stages show scores for Team A and Team B. Ohhhh, they're aiming the soccer balls into the goals. Team B has 4, Team A has 2. We're right in the middle, maintaining our nuetrality in this war. Team B has 6; they're machines.

10:40 a.m.: The beats of Daft Punk's around the world fuel the audience's newfound appreciation for Brobdingnagian soccer.

10:44 a.m.: Lights fading. Dialogue beginning. The music has stopped, the crowd is clapping, and a disembodied voice says something. GDC's Jamil Moledina takes the stage.

10:46 a.m.: "This is a great time for dvevelopers in which all of the platforms are coming to GDC with all of the information and tools coming to their systems. This year's keynotes focus directly on empowering developers
Today's keynote speaker is phil harrison, president of sony computer entertainemt worldwide studios."

10:47 a.m.: The soccer ball game was an example of audience participation and emergent gameplay ... well, played Sony. Well played. "We're here to talk about some of the things you've just demonstrated in the pre-conference entertainment, mainly audience participation and emergent gameplay. There was a magazine front cover late last year which I thought a pivitol moment in the internat age, in which Time said you were there person of the year."

10:49 a.m.: The now famous Time Magazine YOU cover hits the big screen behind Phil. Web 2.0, that's all of you! Go ahead, pat yourself on the back. Really. A medley of logos surround the words Web 2.0 -- eBay, YouTube, MySpace, Amazon, Wikipedia. Game 1.0 slide -- The disconnected console, the static game disc or cart.

10:50 a.m.: NES, PlayStation, Super NES, Atari, genesis, Gam Boy, Game 2.0 PS2, PC, Xbxo, DS LIte, WoW, ... what, no GameCube?! "This is about the connected device... powered by active communities built on open standards. We want the entire game community to add to this and build on this. Ths is not something that we want to claim as a copyright or a trademark. It's about community, it's about collaboration. It's about customization. It's about emergent entertainment powered by the audience, with the audience at the center of this universe"

btrboyev

what this basically says to me is sony should have waited until fall 2007 to launch the ps3...

otherwise, what lies ahead looks very promising. I'm curious to what MS and nintendo will say about this.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Is there are streaming version of the Little Big Planet trailer available?

jett

D-Member
Seems like Killzone is pretty early and disappointmenton total.

*downloading home and LBP trailers*

careksims

Bad_Boy said:
suddenly neogaf's "believe" isnt a a symbole for a pipedream anymore.
this is so awesome. they actually delivered. bravo, bravo.

Seriously. That screen with the furniture is mouth-watering lol.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
10:52 a.m.: Social, community, localication, localization also (note the spelling, Phil's British!)
Emergent entertainment is the buzzword of the day ...

The XMB has an additional icon for Home. He selects it and it launches what appears to be a separate app. The producer for Home takes the stage to walk us through all the new features. The screen behind them appears to have frozen ... the audience giggles just slightly.

10:53 a.m.: Another apparent glitch affects the machine they switched to ... but then they get past it. The Home service comes up, and they're met with a "Usage Policy." The audience laughs as Phil clicks Accept. WE can't wait to read this thing!

Top Bottom