• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix thread

bigben85 said:
I know the hit box etc...not suggesting anything too drastic...but within the limits, all this can be smoothed out. If you don't know about 2d animation or haven't picked up a pencil and animated on paper on a light box...I suggest you STFU

Character rotation is a huge subject in studying 2D animation and looking at the Dhalsim rotation drawings, there are too many awkward issues.

Another huge issues when animating in 2D is maintaining MASS. when things are moving in perspective, or stretched, squashed, the mass needs to be consistent and realistic.
Here, Things (muscles, clothes) are growing and shrinking instead of looking like moving, shifting naturally...I give this a 7/10.

17203741ky9.jpg

Settle down, University Jones. These are not even works in progress. They are sketches. That come with commentary. Making the same points you are.

Xtyle

Wolves Evolve said:
17203741ky9.jpg

Settle down, University Jones. These are not even works in progress. They are sketches. That come with commentary. Making the same points you are.

I was taught that you don't show your work if it isn't good and ready.

AMUSIX

bigben85 said:
They were more impressive because no matter how low res, less detailed they were, they had fluid animation....this remake, despite it being high res and more detailed, some animation principle here is plainly wrong.
So, are we supposed to ignore that these are leaked from mid-development, complete with production comments suggestion fixes and focus on just the problems you're bringing up?

Or is their animation principle just so plainly wrong that it doesn't matter?

edit:
Pay attention

Icarus

bigben85 said:

LOL, they were leaked. I don't think Capcom wanted these out just yet, probably for the reasons you pointed out. :)

Xtyle

Icarus said:
LOL, they were leaked. I don't think Capcom wanted these out just yet, probably for the reasons you pointed out. :)

my apologies. I haven't read the comments on the drawings.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
_dementia said:
That's because all the sprites they're using already exist.

Thats not what I'm talking about. Budget wise, to make a series of low res sprites and animate them is cheaper than building a 3D model, texture and animate it. It just takes less time to do, thus less money. The downside is that theres less people with enough skill to do it very well due to how the industry is moving and of course if you want to make it look real good to todays standards, you need 5 times the animation, which then makes it more expensive than 3D (and thus why pretty much nobody goes that route, or why alternate systems like Odin Sphere's graphics exist)

So it's all down to your interpretation of what looks good enough. One advantage of 3d keyframing is you can use the same animations for any character model you build, if you want to, where as each sprite character needs to be redrawn from hand for every single frame, so it's not quite as simple as that.

karasu

_dementia said:
Jesus the faces.

Just reuse this stuff instead of trying to recreate it.

687681696_7d1d04509f_b.jpg

The portraits for SFII Turbo Revival (GBA) is some of SF's best art ever.

Incredible!

I like the new select screen though.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Graphics Horse said:
So it's all down to your interpretation of what looks good enough. One advantage of 3d keyframing is you can use the same animations for any character model you build, if you want to, where as each sprite character needs to be redrawn from hand for every single frame, so it's not quite as simple as that.

Not necessarily, you cant if the rig is different. In order to reuse animations, which you would never want to do in SOME games the models have to be nearly identical.

Im talking about the budget difference in making one set of animations in low res: walk anim = 16 frames to high res: walk anim = 32 frames. Your budget has just doubled

Raging Spaniard

Graphics Horse said:
Sure, but you can for any bipedal characters at least.

Look at Timesplitters 2 for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XniZUCJx_Gc

I think there's over a hundred characters excluding pallette swaps, all using the same animation!

Well for an FPS sure, but for a 3D fighter? You will get many different rigs per character, since some of the animations are very intricate (this is a common thing in movies, like Spiderman for instance: one rig for him webslinging, one for him fighting, making flips, etc, now that game graphics are more like movies, it will be like that more and more) Plus, sprite reuse in 2D sidescrollers is also common. The point is, that is useful, but doesn't look that great and its a device used to save time. It what differentiates really amazing games from the rest sometimes.

IGA made a whole speech about the dev costs of 2D vs 3D earlier this year at GDC, I should dig it up, its pretty informative. I mean hell, he knows more about it than we all do.

Raging Spaniard said:
Well for an FPS sure, but for a 3D fighter? You will get many different rigs per character, since some of the animations are very intricate (this is a common thing in movies, like Spiderman for instance: one rig for him webslinging, one for him fighting, making flips, etc, now that game graphics are more like movies, it will be like that more and more) Plus, sprite reuse in 2D sidescrollers is also common. The point is, that is useful, but doesn't look that great and its a device used to save time. It what differentiates really amazing games from the rest sometimes.

IGA made a whole speech about the dev costs of 2D vs 3D earlier this year at GDC, I should dig it up, its pretty informative. I mean hell, he knows more about it than we all do.

Excluding all the reused sprites, I wouldn't be surprised if the cheapest characters in castlevania games are the giant rigged multi-sprited ones. You just draw each body part once and rig it to animate with a 2d keyframing system.

Raging Spaniard

Graphics Horse said:
Excluding all the reused sprites, I wouldn't be surprised if the cheapest characters in castlevania games are the giant rigged multi-sprited ones. You just draw each body part once and rig it to animate with a 2d keyframing system.

Yeah, usually the biggest deal with things like that is not physically making them, but getting them approved by the AD and re-doing them 30 billion times (at least in my experience)

These unfinished sprites that leaked are a good example, you can see the placeholder heads and the unfinished lineart, they wont even apply color until each frame has been signed off by the AD. Its cheap to make them once, but once youve done the 4th revision, 2 work days might have passed by.

(sorry for the de-railing)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yeah I know, I'm not good at using paint :lol But hey, I'm bored.

sRWOEYARW.jpg

EDIT: Oh JESUS CHRIST. There was already an official screenshot with Ken and Ryu on the same stage... -_-

thanks

So I guess this is what happens when people can see too much of a work in progress. I can't believe all of the people harshly judging this work, when it's FAR FROM FINISHED. You should all be ashamed of yourselves, because at the end of the day when all's said and done, 95% of you will buy the fucking game anyway, haha. I personally trust capcom to deliver a quality final product.

kazuo

thanks said:
I can't believe all of the people harshly judging this work, when it's FAR FROM FINISHED.

"Far from finished?"

Hardly.

It's playable and his sprites are already in the game, so I don't see how that qualifies as "far from finished."

Also they're making a change to the gameplay which, allegedly, is "not that big of a deal."

Got that straight from Udon when I spoke to him at Penny-Arcade Expo.
CAPCOM USA'S IN UR XBL ARCADE
RUININ UR STREET FIGHTER

:lol

I'll withhold judgement until:
a) They reveal what they changed
and/or
b) There's a non-remixed emulated version of the original CPS-2 Arcade version

kazuo said:
"Far from finished?"

Hardly.

It's playable and his sprites are already in the game, so I don't see how that qualifies as "far from finished."

Also they're making a change to the gameplay which, allegedly, is "not that big of a deal."

Got that straight from Udon when I spoke to him at Penny-Arcade Expo.
CAPCOM USA'S IN UR XBL ARCADE
RUININ UR STREET FIGHTER

:lol

and/or

and/or you know you could just

not play the game and stop trying to piss on it for people who don't really care about lines being too dark or Akuma's muscles not being anatomically correct?

kazuo said:
"Far from finished?"

and/or

Okay, this IS funny, but just a few things -

1. These sketches are works in progress, taken from Feburary and Janurary in some cases. These don't represent the final game, which we can see for ourselves just how it looks. Yes I agree its not ideal but it doesn't look -this- bad.
2. They -have- revealed what they've changed, in detail, many times.
3. The non-altered version comes with it.

I mean, I love hate, I really do.. but its funnier when its completely over the top. So I'm going with "I'm not buying it until they bring back Sagat without the scar!"

Raging Spaniard

New post on the official site, acknowledges the leak but it gives credit to Kotaku for leaking it ... so I guess they don't read GAF and thus don't know this is where Kotaku got it from :lol

Street Fighter Art in Progress: The Good, the Bad, and the Just Plain Ugly

From Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix producer Rey Jimenez:

Hey Street Fighter fans, I hope the deluge of Street Fighter related news hasn’t been too much for you to handle. It looks like Kotaku got the jump on us regarding some new art, so we’ve opted to show you some older work-in-progress assets now, and over the next few months.

Enclosed in the zip file below, is a ton of work-in-progress art files. These files are almost 2 months old, but they are a good selection of files that illustrate some key issues and highlight and some of the steps that we are taking to ensure the final product will live up to the name of Street Fighter.

They will give you guys a window into our process of how we’re getting super-detailed art into the game, show you some of the challenges we’re facing and provide insights into how we’re addressing them.

Before we move on, I want to emphasize again that these are old files that were and still are very much a work-in -progress. In fact, as I will explain, some of the frames will be going through a major re-draw and other polishing steps before they make it into the game.

You might notice a magenta colored box around the files. This is the same as the grey box explained in a past blog update (http://blogs.capcomusa.com/blogs/digital.php/2007/06/29/p349#more349). For the blog, I colored it grey because, well, magenta is an ugly color. But for production purposes, we use a magenta box because it’s easier to see the drawing elements against a magenta background. Most of the files have been colored only in a flat color with no shading done yet.

Once the flat color step is done and fully approved through our quality control process, the file will move to shading, where it will once again go through a quality control process.

Ok, now we’re past all the boring explanations, let’s move on to the good stuff. Below is a shot of Cammy doing her standing fierce punch.

1880192036_20eadf051b_o.gif

As a whole, this set is looking pretty good. But you’ll notice that I’ve circled her right foot. That’s because this animation should mostly remain stationary, with the foot rotating slightly until the last frame, when it rotates fully to face the player. If you take a look at what the foot does during the animation, you’ll see that the laces are not consistently drawn and when animated, will look like they’re popping. If this is missed and the frame goes to the shading process, the popping effect will be more apparent. We can’t have that, now can we? It’s very important that we catch these issues before going to shading, so we don’t waste time shading a frame. An error is much easier to fix in the flat color stage than in the fully shaded step.

You may also notice in one of the frames that Cammy’s arm look blurred. You may or may not know this, but this is not new to the Street Fighter frames. I’ll tell you that I never noticed the blurring effect back in the day because they go by so fast. It’s amazing the detail that goes into these that could have been almost impossible to notice without careful dissection. Below is a still frame of the original sprite of Cammy doing the same move to prove this was in the original:

1879371617_7619ff6eeb_o.jpg

Here’s a bit of Street Fighter trivia about what’s going on here. When SFII first came out, it was on the CPS1 board. (The CPS1 is a proprietary arcade board that Capcom developed and many of your favorite arcade games were released on this board.) When Super Street Fighter II was released, it was released on the newer arcade board, the CPS2. This board made advancements in arcade technology and essentially, was capable of handling better, more detailed graphics. So any character or move that was new to the game between SFII and SSFII was developed on the CPSII board. So Cammy, Fei, Long, and T Hawk were able to have some cool effects added to them, like the blurring, which was not possible for the other characters developed on the CPS1. You’ll see an upgrade in some other characters moves, like in Chun Li’s animation and Ken’s Crazy kicks, and Ryu’s fireball. Very apparent was also the quality of the character portraits from SFII to SSFII.

But back on to some of the frames. The below Ryu animation has reached the shading phase, but now that it has, you can see that some additional problems are showing up now.

1879372011_98bf87db39_o.gif

On Ryu’s right arm, you can see that the shading isn’t consistent. One of the frames is much darker than the others and some of the lines are moving around a lot. Also, in his neck, there’s a magic muscle that’s appearing and disappearing. Ugh. We’ve worked that out and it’s looking much better now. As magic as that muscle might seem, we’re glad that it’s gone.

One of the characters I wanted to talk about was Blanka. We haven’t showed you any of his frames because he’s been in a stage of flux. As you can see, he’s still very far from looking good in the line art stage. We’re going to do some major re-drawing for Blanka. We’ll show you his official look as soon as we can.

1880191776_a5a042ef55_o.jpg

Well, there’s a lot of work in progress stuff for you guys to take a look at. Some of the issues we’ve shown you have already been corrected, while we’re tackling others. There’s variance in the line weight, some popping when you animate them, and some of the basic design issues that need to be worked out (such as Sagat’s giant shorts). You can actually see some of our notes in the files. I just know that many of you are successful or aspiring artists and hope that these files will give you some understanding in the artful process that goes into making a 2-D game such as Street Fighter. We’ve also found that looking at work that still needs some work might be just as cool as seeing the final product. It certainly gives you more respect for it.

Enjoy playing “Arm-Chair Producer”, ripping these apart and we hope you’ll look forward to the changes you’ll see to them in the coming weeks.

http://static.capcom.com/SSF2HD/SSF2HDRemix.zip

Also, be sure to check out David Sirlin’s article on the changed he’s done for the Remixed mode of Super Street Fighter II HD Remix:

http://blog.capcom.com/archives/542

This entry was posted on Monday, November 5th, 2007 at 4:1

Raging Spaniard

Icarus said:
Honestly, the rebalancing bit was the FAR more interesting post.

I dunno, I would prefer to discuss if Blanka's right foot (which is apparently his left foot also) has a heel or is that his ankle.. and if thats his ankle, then wheres the heel?

Its like a chicken or the egg question

PBMax said:
Am I the only one who thinks the original sprites looked much better?

What you're seeing isn't finished. This is exactly why publishers don't usually release 'beta' art - work and designs. I for one think it's cool to see the design process build.

Grayman

Icarus said:
Honestly, the rebalancing bit was the FAR more interesting post.
yes much more interesting.

The input changes are interesting to me. I wonder if those combined with the mid and low tier changes will make the medium skilled player matches less balanced than before.

Hunahan

Banned
Is their HD capture machine still mysteriously broken?

I want direct feed of that Ken and Ryu fight.

I'm willing to ignore crappy work in progress stolen PSD files if I can just see some direct feed Ken and Ryu fight.......

joaomgcd

cammy1.gif

ryu.gif

Wow... Have they... used the gifs I posted as a base for their explanation? The gifs' dimensions are exactly the same, as are the frame delays for each individual frame... This is odd. :lol

Grayman

joaomgcd said:
Wow... Have they... used the gifs I posted as a base for their explanation? The gifs' dimensions are exactly the same, as are the frame delays for each individual frame... This is odd. :lol
note to the readers: use watermarks or capcom steals your work that you made from their work

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
joaomgcd said:

ownt

joaomgcd

Grayman said:
note to the readers: use watermarks or capcom steals your work that you made from their work

Note that I said that I "posted" the gifs, and not "created", "made", or anything to that effect because I didn't want to imply they were stealing my "work". It's not my work, it's just a compilation of their work and they can use it however they want of course. I just found it odd that they would use gifs that some guy posted on NeoGAF instead of making their own. :p They must have better source material than the one that leaked out...

Grayman

Pointing out flaws from the leak and how they would be fixed seems like what they wanted to post, so it makes sense to not use their better images.

Top Bottom