• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox NCAA 2006 Thread! Season I: Madden 2005.5 (pick teams inside!)

Ramirez

I wasn't gonna use that ho anyways!

I have a secret weapon...Chris Rix is coming back for one more year! Ph33r m3 :lol

Got my copy btw,haven't gotten a chance to play it yet though...

Maverick

I have mixed feelings so far

- definitely need to turn off home field advantage for the league. i love the atmosphere of it, but I just played Auburn/Georgia and this series of events happened in the 1st Q: Fumbled the kickoff. Dropped a sure touchdown pass. Got sacked 4 times on 2 drives. Fumbled after a completion. Crowd seemed to have scared my boys shitless.

- the graphics look great on xbox, and I'm never the first one to even notice visuals. Lighting on the "evening" setting was sweet.

- dropped a couple passes that I really should've had, but the HFA was on. anyone w/ more experience with the game having the same frustration as last year?

- momentum really seems to be improved. this my second biggest peeve w/ '05

- the race for the heisman thing is a lot cooler than I expected. the little practice thing when you start up the game was a cool touch, then being offered scholarships to different schools. i might actually play this. might.

gstaff

Maverick said:
I have mixed feelings so far

- definitely need to turn off home field advantage for the league. i love the atmosphere of it, but I just played Auburn/Georgia and this series of events happened in the 1st Q: Fumbled the kickoff. Dropped a sure touchdown pass. Got sacked 4 times on 2 drives. Fumbled after a completion. Crowd seemed to have scared my boys shitless.

- the graphics look great on xbox, and I'm never the first one to even notice visuals. Lighting on the "evening" setting was sweet.

- dropped a couple passes that I really should've had, but the HFA was on. anyone w/ more experience with the game having the same frustration as last year?

- momentum really seems to be improved. this my second biggest peeve w/ '05

- the race for the heisman thing is a lot cooler than I expected. the little practice thing when you start up the game was a cool touch, then being offered scholarships to different schools. i might actually play this. might.

Looks like I wont get to play much until tomorrow. The more I read, the more i get scared.

newsguy

Maverick said:

Even with HFA off you will drop some passes. It's nowhere near as bad as last year, but I've had a couple of WTF moments with the canes. Sometimes it seems as if the game makes you drop it if the defense had a lapse. For example, I run a PA, the CB blitzes and the safety bites to one side. I throw it in the flat to my HB who has 20 yards of wide open field and no one within 10 yards of him... he'll drop it.

Maverick

I'm actually playing right now but I'll say this, the more i play the game the more i like what i see. now that i'm settled in to the new controls and have the rosters from fairdale kings i'm getting into the grove of the game.

this race for the heisman thing is damn cool. and i hate creating players. i had offers from iowa and louisville but decided to go to georgia where i'd be sure to play. started playing in my first game and i have to say, it's pretty cool playing as yourself. feels like the games mean more, something that's been lost for me since online gaming came along.

also, the white spot shadows on the impact players help a lot, because unless you're a huge college football nut, you just don't know for most of the teams.

DMczaf

this race for the heisman thing is damn cool. and i hate creating players. i had offers from iowa and louisville but decided to go to georgia where i'd be sure to play. started playing in my first game and i have to say, it's pretty cool playing as yourself. feels like the games mean more, something that's been lost for me since online gaming came along.

The best part is that after you graduate from college in NCAA, you can import your player to Madden's Superstar mode.

Mrbob

Yeah I bought this piece of shit so I'm in for the league. Don't know what team I want, yet. I'll mess around with some different ones when I get the time and see who I like.

Maverick

I just don't know what to make of this game yet. At times it seems brilliant and at times it seems like running up the middle is a cluster-fuck, WRs (impact ones, too) still drop passes they should have, and the control isn't as tight as madden.

Hmm......

I need to play online, I think.

ramirez, is someone getting the best, the best, the best, the best of you? :D

34-7 thrashing of a lifetime ladies! i think i will run w/ ucla

p.s. it's funny cause i have action replay so i see all the players names. ramirez your receiver who scored your TD is named Fagg

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I might be up, let me try out Live.

Course, I haven't had time to actually play a down! DUH DUH DUNNNNN!!!

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Well it's definitely much better than last year. After playing OT drills online today I'm already sick of playing USC and Texas. Only one Vick Jr. cheeser sighting, so that's good.

Ramirez

I really didn't understand that game FMT...I couldn't do shit,you threw up that lame duck in double coverage for your first TD,then my TE fumbles,then I fumble and option,etc. :lol

Not to mention your RB broke a disgusting amount of tackles >_<

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
FrenchMovieTheme said:
anyone want a game? im tired of beating up on bums like ramirez and dm. i want a challenge!

I got my copy,I'll look for you on aim later tonight...FEAR KOLB AND THE MIGHTY HOUSTON COUGARS! :(

more impressions from me after more games:

* the game, so far, is top notch
* i will never like ncaa as much as madden. i told ck this: madden just seems more tight in the control area, and is overall a sharper game
* the passing game is easier, but there are no more super LB's/CB's or spider senses. so what do you want? the deep passing CAN be stopped
* truthfully the only way to stop a rb who is "in the zone" is to throw a shitload of people at him or use one of the safeties and patrol the outside. i have found most people are reluctant to run inside, so just use an outside blitz here and there and you will be set

like i said before, the game is very good. it is a lot like madden 2005, but with a hell of a lot improvements over madden.

p.s. ea changed quite a few controls and aubibles so im still not sure how to do some stuff

Lonestar

my first try inside the game was online vers. FMT. Hey, I only lost 17-3! Now, to figure out how to play the game!!!

I like Running alot more now, feels SO REAL

im seeing billy corgan in concert tonight and tomorrow night, so if anyone wants to play let me know in the next 10 mins or so... my gf will be pissed if im playing a game past then (claiming we'll be late to the show)

also ramirez i noticed your passing game was pretty erratic. i saw you dropping back too far on most snaps, as well as throwing on the run or trying to scramble from the start... listen to alex smith when he says fundamentals are the keys to success!

that and i put your pussy WR's on lockdown. ADIOS FLORIDA STATE YOU OVER RATED BITCHES!

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
who ever wants a part of me, bring your candy asses online and get some..... I am not going to even play an exhibition game... lets go

thank jehova that you weren't an hour earlier with that message malley, or else i would have given you the thrashing of a life time.

now time for corgan to rock me... acoustically!

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
oh no , u thank the lord you werent sent to see this corgan fellow with a broken wrist from slamming your fist in the table from the frustration that is playing the mal..

i have a crapload of free XBL 2 month cards. give me a minute, ill PM you both

p.s. all of the passes i have "expired" on 3/31/05. i imagine they will still work though. worst case scenario you might have to call to get it activated. i will still PM you guys and let you deal with it though. enjoy!

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i have a crapload of free XBL 2 month cards. give me a minute, ill PM you both

p.s. all of the passes i have "expired" on 3/31/05. i imagine they will still work though. worst case scenario you might have to call to get it activated. i will still PM you guys and let you deal with it though. enjoy!

Thanks man. Yeah, I think you can call MS and get them activated. It is worth a try anyway.

It says the code is invalid...

Does that just mean it has expired? Or would it actually say the code had expired?

I'll have to call in the morning.

Lonestar

when do you think we'll start this thing up???

Oh, and my Live tag has a space between Lonestar and 1979.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Finally got a chance to play this last night..... damn was this game fun.... I didnt notice any crazy dropped passes yet... The only time I saw drops were on poorly thrown balls(off the back foot, throwing to the right when running left..etc)

I dont like the bumping when running through a crowd, on the goaline its hell trying to slip through.. .but its still fun..

The option is deadly, I used my league team VT and I did a couple and really capitalized off of Vick and the RB...

I would like to play more with the game, but I am at work, so I will be looking for you crackheads on line Later on tonight EST...

malleymal on XBOX Live

the league will start appox. on monday. my gf is designing the site now so it will take some time. will you guys be committed to reporting individual game stats per player, or do you want to stick per team?

i received an email summary of my games online, and they came out looking fine. let me know as soon as possible if you guys want to do individual player stats.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
I honestly dont think I would want to do individual player stats, but whoever plays me can do it for me if they want, I like the email thing

Ramirez

Maybe my WRs suck,but they drop all kinds of passes =\

That was my backup QB as well FMT,he just isn't as good,but I thought I'd use him since Sexton won't be playin this year in real life...

I've quit like 3-4 games online,people play straight bullshit in sports games man,had 2 guys pull their ends out and then just zoom in untouched every play and rape me,so stupid.

Can't wait to get the league goin,hate playin random people.

guys do me a favor. setup your ncaa account to receive emails, and then see how they look when you receive them. newsguy got gibberish and is using hotmail. double check and make sure you can receive a clear email with the game stats. thanks

p.s. i know ramirez, people online play straight bullshit. like i said earlier, this one dude would use his impact LB from TN, and if i was passing he would manually blitz off the corner and there wasn't shit i could do. thankfully we have all straight players here (so far!)

Maverick

I just had a terrible experience playing some cheesedick using Texas and running the option w/ Vince Young. One thing I don't like being used online is the impact player thing. RBs and QBs can be just ridiculous w/ it. Here's a scenario that I don't feel is fair online:

He's Texas i'm miami...

i hold his option plays and get him to 4th and 1 from the 40. of course, EA allows him to go for it in the 2nd quarter. So he lines up in GL, runs a play action, i blow it up and come rushing in, only to have SUPER VINCE YOUNG break 2 MIAMI D-LINEMEN's tackles to throw a touchdown pass.

I don't know, anyone else think this should have been left out of the online play? Same w/ homefield.

maybe i just don't know how to play ncaa right.

Maverick

Okay, some things really aren't sitting right w/ me. I know we've complained about this stuff forever, but fuck this "adaptive AI" stuff that all these reviewers talked about.

The same old bullshit is happening in 06 thats been happening for years. The last game I played was laughable. I mean, it's one thing when you lose and you're frustrated and bitch about the unlucky things that happened to you, but these things happened in my last game:

* IMPACT VINCE YOUNG breaks 2 d-line tackles for a TD pass
* I toss up the prayer of a lifetime off my backfoot into double coverage, my guy supermans it, then breaks 2 tackles to the endzone. IMMMMMPACT!
* I run this one play and Moss is wiiiiiiide open, ready to walk it into the endzone, only he drops it instead.
* I run the same exact play, to moss again, and he catches it in double coverage for the 30 yard TD.
*He runs one out of the hail mary formation down 2 TDs, bombs it like 60 yards, his guy SUPERMANS it, breaks not 1 not 2 but 3 tackles and dives into the endzone.

This stuff just shouldn't be happening. We're not talking about money plays here. This is just straight weirdness going on that all the reviewers said was fixed.

It's not that I even feel like it's a bad game. I just feel like, unlike Madden, it's so goddamn unpredicable. I feel like most plays are just out of my hands. In Madden I always feel like when I call the right play and I have that man open like I explained above, it's a well-deserved TD. In this, he might drop it. In fact, it seems like what shouldn't happen always does. :D

p.s. I was ranked in the top 300 in crappy 05 last year and am in the top 200 for madden 05 so it's not like I suck either

IJoel

I got the game last night. I doubt I'll join the league as I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to football games, but I'm up for random online matches after a week or 2 of playing the game.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
The long bomb is hard to defend for some reason.... I loved playing D in the secondary in Madden, but this is a little tougher to go after a poorly thrown ball and knock it down.... many times an animation just comes and I get no where near the ball and the WIDE GOD RECEIVER comes down with it... its tough, but I guess I need to practice Defense...

I'm not playing any non-Gaffers anymore. The fucking option is worse than any balance issue from 2K5 ever. I've played 3 games online and I'm 0-3. All of them ran options every single play, and then took a break here and there for a bomb.

Fucking ridiculous. Does EA and VC actually have people testing their games?

Maverick

i gotta agree...i played 5 games and everyone played the same exact way using the same teams. it's just straight bullshit.

Top Bottom