• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oklahoma Supreme Court: Ten Commandments Monument Must Be Removed

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGondo

Banned
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — A Ten Commandments monument on the Oklahoma Capitol grounds is a religious symbol and must be removed because it violates the state's constitutional ban on using public property to benefit a religion, the Oklahoma Supreme Court ruled on Tuesday.

Oklahoma's highest court said the Ten Commandments chiseled into the 6-foot-tall granite monument, which was privately funded by a Republican legislator, are "obviously religious in nature and are an integral part of the Jewish and Christian faiths."

The 7-2 ruling overturns a decision by a district court judge who determined the monument could stay.

Attorney General Scott Pruitt had argued that the monument was historical in nature and nearly identical to a Texas monument that was found constitutional by the U.S. Supreme Court. The Oklahoma justices said the local monument violated the state's constitution, not the U.S. Constitution.

"Quite simply, the Oklahoma Supreme Court got it wrong," Pruitt said in a statement. "The court completely ignored the profound historical impact of the Ten Commandments on the foundation of Western law."

Pruitt said his office would ask the court for a rehearing and request that the monument be allowed to stay until the court considers his request.

Since the original monument was erected in 2012, several other groups have asked to put up their own monuments on the Capitol grounds. Among them is a group that wants to erect a 7-foot-tall statue that depicts Satan as Baphomet, a goat-headed figure with horns, wings and a long beard.

A Hindu leader in Nevada, an animal rights group, and the satirical Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster also have made requests.

Rep. Mike Ritze, a Republican from Broken Arrow whose family paid about $10,000 for the monument's construction, pushed the bill authorizing the monument. He said Tuesday he hoped the attorney general would appeal the ruling.

The original monument was smashed into pieces in October, when someone drove a car across the Capitol lawn and crashed into it. A 29-year-old man who was arrested the next day was admitted to a hospital for mental health treatment, and formal charges were never filed.

A new monument was built and put up again in January.
Those activist judges are at it again!

Good. Had no business being there in the first place.

Since the original monument was erected in 2012, several other groups have asked to put up their own monuments on the Capitol grounds. Among them is a group that wants to erect a 7-foot-tall statue that depicts Satan as Baphomet, a goat-headed figure with horns, wings and a long beard.

That would have been incredible though.

Duh. Unless you're opening up the grounds to the Pastafarians as well...and every other religion, belief and creed. Get that shit out of there.

Pillville

Duh. Unless you're opening up the grounds to the Pastafarians as well...and every other religion, belief and creed. Get that shit out of there.

But I was looking forward to the Satanic statue that someone asked to be added too.
622x350.jpg

This was real, by the way.

Beaten by seconds (and I guess it's Baphomet)

If even if you don't know him, he knows you.

May the Flying Spaghetti Monster watch over us all.

Don't worry. They mean "real, legitimate church." The FSM is real. Fuck the nonbelievers.

^RAmen, brother.

Hahaha! that's the first time i've ever heard about this. Didn't even know it was a thing >.<

There's actually a website and everything >.>

This is golden:

With millions, if not thousands, of devout worshippers, the Church of the FSM is widely considered a legitimate religion, even by its opponents &#8211; mostly fundamentalist Christians, who have accepted that our God has larger balls than theirs.

"Quite simply, the Oklahoma Supreme Court got it wrong," Pruitt said in a statement. "The court completely ignored the profound historical impact of the Ten Commandments on the foundation of Western law."

I am so sick of this argument. Why not put the code of Hammurabi up on the lawn? At least its laws are still generally against the law. Of the ten commandments, only TWO are definitively against the law in the US (Shalt not kill, shalt not steal), with a third (shalt not bear false witness) only the law when under oath (eg: perjury). The rest are completely irrelevant to the justice system. I don't know how anybody with half a brain could think this symbol was non-religious and a foundation of western law.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
a lot of good news recently, but im worried about all of this rapid progress resulting in some people violently lashing out.

but at any rate, here's to progress!

Pillville

a lot of good news recently, but im worried about all of this rapid progress resulting in some people violently lashing out.

but at any rate, here's to progress!

me too. I'd almost want to get my tinfoil hat on and say conservative politicians making this happen to get their base fired up for the 2016 elections.

mcarlie

Banned
I don't get this. The laws aren't being incorporated into the legal system by having a monument. What's the difference between this and having a monument to the Code of Hammurabi or any other famous set of laws?

KHarvey16

I don't get this. The laws aren't being incorporated into the legal system by having a monument. What's the difference between this and having a monument to the Code of Hammurabi or any other famous set of laws?

They aren't specific to a religion?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm an atheist and I don't care either way, some of them are good rules to live by.

And some of them are absolute gobbledygook:

1. You shall have no other gods before Me.
2. You shall not make idols.
3. You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
5. No matter how much he cries, no matter how much he begs, never, never feed your gremlin after midnight.

Pilgrimzero

I literally just had this conversation on FB:

Cousin: I can't believe Oklahoma has folded on this. It's not right. God is basically being removed a little at a time.

Me: It endorses a religion which the state Gov can't legally do.

Cousin: So you are saying you agree with this?

Me: Doesn't matter what i agree with. The law is the law. There is a reason we are a Democracy and not a Theocracy. Our Founding Fathers knew this.

Cousin: It absolutely DOES matter if your agree or not. There is a very small percentage of the public that made this happen. It happened because too many people are afraid to stand up and say something because we have all been turned into sheep and convinced that anything said will be deemed as offensive, racists, bigotry, etc.

Me: How did this small percentage effect THE LAW? This went to the courts, the LEGAL COURTS, who used thier knowledge of THE LAW to say that this is not LEGAL. So are you saying that even if it's illegal as deemed by the PEOPLE who created and voted on these laws (keeping in mind the seperation of church and state) that it should stay there? Would you be just as adamant if it was buddist statue? Or a satanic one? Should the law be changed because it's YOUR religion? Do you understand how that's biased and the reason that law even exists?

Cousin: Pilgrim.....do you believe in God?

Me: Dude, really? If you think this is an attack on religion then there is no need to continue this.

Cousin: You're right. No need to continue. (But I will say a prayer for you).

I am so sick of this argument. Why not put the code of Hammurabi up on the lawn? At least its laws are still generally against the law. Of the ten commandments, only TWO are definitively against the law in the US (Shalt not kill, shalt not steal), with a third (shalt not bear false witness) only the law when under oath (eg: perjury). The rest are completely irrelevant to the justice system. I don't know how anybody with half a brain could think this symbol was non-religious and a foundation of western law.

Ironically the state uses the death penalty and civil forfeiture...

I literally just had this conversation on FB:

Cousin: I can't believe Oklahoma has folded on this. It's not right. God is basically being removed a little at a time.

Me: It endorses a religion which the state Gov can't legally do.

Cousin: So you are saying you agree with this?

Me: Doesn't matter what i agree with. The law is the law. There is a reason we are a Democracy and not a Theocracy. Our Founding Fathers knew this.

Cousin: It absolutely DOES matter if your agree or not. There is a very small percentage of the public that made this happen. It happened because too many people are afraid to stand up and say something because we have all been turned into sheep and convinced that anything said will be deemed as offensive, racists, bigotry, etc.

Me: How did this small percentage effect THE LAW? This went to the courts, the LEGAL COURTS, who used thier knowledge of THE LAW to say that this is not LEGAL. So are you saying that even if it's illegal as deemed by the PEOPLE who created and voted on it

Cousin: Pilgrim.....do you believe in God?

Me: Dude, really? If you think this is an attack on religion then there is no need to continue this.

Cousin: You're right. No need to continue. (But I will say a prayer for you).

He turned the other debating cheek and went for the attack lol.

Hmmmm..perhaps I will go ahead and buy a gun. The "culture war" might become an actual thing around these parts..shit, all over the damn country..

KHarvey16

I'm not familiar with Oklahoma's specific laws but this doesn't seem like "an establishment of religion", it seems more like it's for aesthetic purposes.

It's promoting a religion and additionally has no secular purpose. It's very obviously a violation. I mean, how can you justify an installation declaring "thou shalt have no other gods before me" on public land?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's promoting a religion and additionally has no secular purpose. It's very obviously a violation. I mean, how can you justify an installation declaring "thou shalt have no other gods before me" on public land?
When you really break that one down, it is straight up saying non-Christian faiths not welcome here.

obin_gam

And some of them are absolute gobbledygook:

1. You shall have no other gods before Me.
2. You shall not make idols.
3. You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
5. No matter how much he cries, no matter how much he begs, never, never feed your gremlin after midnight.

Wait, AFTER?!
Uhm... I'll be right back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom