• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkansas erects Ten Commandments monument at State Capitol; man destroys it with car

Damaniel

Banned
Yesterday, a new Ten Commandments monument was placed on the grounds of the Arkansas state Capitol building (you think these people would have learned a thing or two about separation of church and state by now, but I digress...) Today, less than 24 hours after it was erected, a man drove his car into it and destroyed it.

Article

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) – A Van Buren man was arrested on Wednesday morning after running his car into a newly placed 10 Commandments statue at the Arkansas State Capitol.

32-year-old Michael Tate Reed drove through the statue around 4:47 a.m. on Wednesday while filming on his cell phone and posting it to Facebook.

Apparently the person charged with destroying the statue has a history of similar behavior. I can't say I agree with destruction of property, but I'm not going to cry for the loss of an illegally erected religious symbol.

Smite me if old...

THOU SHALT NOT DRIVE A CAR INTO A MONUM.....

192sorlvdkjzfjpg.jpg

lol wait he's done this exact same thing before?

Reed has a history of similar behavior, destroying a Ten Commandments monument in Oklahoma. He was charged with destruction of state property or improvements, indecent exposure, making threatening statements, reckless driving and operating a vehicle with a revoked license back in 2014.

In 2015, Tulsa World reported that Reed stated his psychotic break was inspired by a Dracula film and that Michael Jackson's spirit was living inside meat. He also believed he was "the incarnation of an occult leader" and attempted to contact "Lucifer's high priestess he called Gwyneth Paltrow."

Glix

I certainly don't agree with it being there.

I also don't agree with taking it upon yourself to destroy it.

Everyone is wrong! Yay!!

It's public property that doesn't serve the public interest. That doesn't mean that it should be overlooked, but societies need iconoclasts in some capacity.

Don't agree. Remove the statue legally. Hope the dude goes to jail.
Based on reading interviews with him, the dude has serious mental issues, he should definitely be off the street and in some facility.

I agree though, ramming something you don't like with your car isn't the way to do things.

Damaniel

Banned
Why did they erect them in the first place?

Because some insecure Jesus lovers feel the need to push their religious beliefs onto everyone using an officially sanctioned government platform. Last I checked, there's some founding document or other that explicitly makes such things illegal...

Nivash

And used a 2016 Dodge Dart, no less. Not that I'm a big fan of American cars, but he could have at least picked up a junker before following through with his brilliant plan.

Counterpoint: dodge is the perfect car brand of choice for a budding satanist. His only error was that he didn't use a Dodge Demon.

2018-dodge-challenger-srt-demon.jpg

Or at least a Hellcat.

TylerD

Because some insecure Jesus lovers feel the need to push their religious beliefs onto everyone using an officially sanctioned government platform. Last I checked, there's some founding document or other that explicitly makes such things illegal...

Nuh uh! Senator Doofus interviewed in the video explicitly says that the 10 Commandments statue was erected in honor of the first laws in our great country. Constitution shmonstitution.

Everything about this is hilarious, especially "Lucifer's high priestess he called Gwyneth Paltrow."

Are we sure it wasn't Adam Boyes though?

Top Bottom