• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkansas erects Ten Commandments monument at State Capitol; man destroys it with car

Nafai1123

Banned
In 2015, Tulsa World reported that Reed stated his psychotic break was inspired by a Dracula film and that Michael Jackson's spirit was living inside meat. He also believed he was "the incarnation of an occult leader" and attempted to contact "Lucifer's high priestess he called Gwyneth Paltrow."

Wut.

SeanC

I don't like religious symbolism and monuments glorifying one religion on government property likely paid for by state taxes, but this dude sounds like a dipshit.

Xe4

Banned
What always baffle me about threads like this is people criticisim "god" instead of the failure of American citizens of upholding "separation of church and state", why the hell was that monument allowed in the first place? why do your dollars say "in god we trust"? what the hell?

Our dollars say "In God We Trust" cause of those damn commies! Same reason we have god in the pledge.

It's dumb, and a total violation of church and state. This is worse though, since it specifically mentions a type (Judeo Christian) of religion.

TBH, the guy has serious mental issues, and needs help, but seeing as it was only property, it's kind of hard to feel bad for Arkansas. Don't put up stupid ass monuments that clearly violate the constitution, and then I'll pity ya'll when they get torn down.

MUnited83

For you.
Ramming cars into religious stuff probably isn't the best idea. I don't care how big GAF's "lol religion" boner is.

I'd say it's quite the decent idea. Separation of church and government are ESSENTIAL to a civilized world. The population should react accordingly and prevent the state from erecting religious governments.

Genryu

Banned
177610.gif

Xe4

Banned
Technically it represents Law which is why it is allowed

1. You shall have no other gods before Me.
  2. You shall not make idols.
  3. You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
  4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
  5. Honor your father and your mother.
  6. You shall not murder.
  7. You shall not commit adultery.
  8. You shall not steal.
  9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
  10. You shall not covet.
Bolded are the only items that have any basis in modern law. They're not up because they represent law, they're up because people feel the need to spread their religion into the courthouse, unconstitutionally.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Ramming cars into religious stuff probably isn't the best idea. I don't care how big GAF's "lol religion" boner is.

It's not like the monument was in front of a church. I don't think this is about being anti-religious. I think the point here is that under no circumstances should a religion be promoted by the state. You can disagree with his method (I personally can't really condone or condemn it), but I think this was clearly a "fuck you" type of statement against the local government endorsing a religion. I'd be pissed about it too.

Bitches should put up Hammurabi's Code then.

Not arguing for it , just stating the reason it is allowed

It was originally authorized in 2015 in the Ten Commandments Monument Display Act, which defined the religious laws as "an important component of the moral foundation of the laws and legal system of the United States of America and of the State of Arkansas."

Xe4

Banned
Sounds like a lunatic and a menace that needs to be behind bars.

Hopefully the monument is rebuilt.

You want an unconstitutional monument to be rebuilt? Why? I don't condone the guy (who clearly has mental issues), but that monument needs to be taken down ASAP. Shit, don't even rebuild it.

Damaniel

Banned
It was originally authorized in 2015 in the Ten Commandments Monument Display Act, which defined the religious laws as "an important component of the moral foundation of the laws and legal system of the United States of America and of the State of Arkansas."

I can't imagine that this law is even remotely constitutional. But why would Arkansas start following any part of the Constitution (other than the 2nd Amendment) now?

Dicktatorship

Sigh.

So the molestation of the Emmett Till monument gets one page of replies, but this one gets three (and counting).

Not sure if GAF relishes in anti-religious bigotry, or isn't nearly as interested in US racial strife as it would seem.

(http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1397776)

Look, that sign was violating our freedoms. It had to be taken out, it was so illegal that not even the government could stop it.

cameron

Sounds like a lunatic and a menace that needs to be behind bars.

Hopefully the monument can be rebuilt.

Rejoice! A replacement monument is on its way. Reuters:
Republican state Senator Jason Rapert, the main backer of the monument, said a replacement has been ordered.

"Frankly this guy was in a state of mind that he could very well have hurt somebody," he said at a news conference.
Other bits:
A Facebook Live video posted to the account of a person named Michael Reed appears to show the slab's destruction.

In the vehicle, a person can be heard saying: "Oh my goodness. Freedom," and driving more than 20 mph (32 kph) until a smashing noise is heard.

"He actually was videoing it and broadcasting it live on Facebook as it happened," police spokesman Powell said, adding an officer patrolling nearby arrested Reed.

No lawyer was listed for the suspect in online jail records.

In 2014, a person with the same name and age as the suspect used a vehicle to smash a Ten Commandments monument on Oklahoma Capitol grounds, law enforcement in Oklahoma said.

Reed then fled the scene and went into a federal building. He made threats against then President Barack Obama, they said.
News reports in Oklahoma said he was never formally charged.

Arkansas has not officially confirmed whether the same Reed was involved in Wednesday's incident, Powell said.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Fucking good.

Ethics 101

Protecting citizen civil liberties, including right to religious freedom does not invalidate separation of church and state.

You cant call Christians a persecuted minority and then try and get the government to give you favors. They already do it and its sickening.

Its also quite annoying seeing some people take separation of church and state as "anti religion". Its how our government is intended to be impartial, get over it.

Xe4

Banned
Sigh.

So the molestation of the Emmett Till monument gets one page of replies, but this one gets three (and counting).

Not sure if GAF relishes in anti-religious bigotry, or isn't nearly as interested in US racial strife as it would seem.

(http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1397776)

Way to make this a religion vs. racial relations thread. Why you even connect the two is silly. Nobody is going to agree with the Emmett Till monument vandalism, but many are going to agree with the destruction of a ten commandments monument built by the state. Some will disagree (as is their right), and debate will form. That alone is reason enough that the threads are different sizes.

And it's not anti religious bigotry. If you want to put up a religious monument in your yard using your money, more power to you! But I'll be fucked if I'll have the government doing it, particularly when they are endorsing one religion over another.

Top Bottom