• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hindus looking to put Lord Hanuman statue on Ark. State Capitol grounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

NIGHT-

http://www.thv11.com/story/news/loc...numan-statue-on-ark-capitol-grounds/29815567/

"LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- In April, Gov. Asa Hutchinson signed a bill that would allow a Ten Commandments monument to be displayed on Arkansas State Capitol grounds. On Tuesday, it was announced that, in response to this, Hindus would like to erect a privately funded statue of Lord Hanuman on the grounds."

As someone that lives in Arkansas, this is hilarious, I already see people on FB raging over this. As you know, Arkansas just not too long ago allowed the Ten Commandments to be displayed on capitol grounds, now other religions are wanting their same rights.

It's also worth noting that the Satanic temple are looking into putting a statue on Arkansas Capitol grounds as well

SimleuqiR

Seems fair enough.

Edit:

lord-hanuman-hd.jpg

This god is ripped.
Definitely beats Jesus in the fit department.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think we of NeoGAF should petition to have a giant Amiibo installed.

BocoDragon

Seems fair enough.

Edit:

lord-hanuman-hd.jpg

This god is ripped.
He's working out while posing all godlike? Amazing.

Definitely could be read as fat shaming the south, though.

I thought Hanuman was more of an actual monkey; this depiction of him just looks like a human with a monkey snout...

From my experience (movies, temples, comics, etc.), this is the most common depiction of Hanuman.

EDIT: Hanuman also famously was sent off to search for a medical herb on a mountain, but he couldn't identify it, so he lifted up the entire mountain and brought it to their healer.

Plus, he probably could have taken out Ravana's entire army himself when he snuck into his city and started setting everything on fire when the rakshasas there thought setting his tail on fire was a good idea, if not for Sita telling him it wouldn't be honorable unless Rama came to save her or something.

There was also that one time he had to blow out four candles at the same time in order to stop some rakshasa. Instead of getting some other guys to come help him, he grew three more heads, all of different species, so he could blow them out himself.

PSqueak

Banned
Hold on, why the fuck is there a statue of the ten commandments in a federal/capitol/government building?

Like, don't the USA have separation of church and state? Isn't that like a basic law in most countries?

Hold on, why the fuck is there a statue of the ten commandments in a federal/capitol/government building?

Like, don't the USA have separation of church and state? Isn't that like a basic law in most countries?

Many lawmakers have claimed that Christianity is the basis of the Constitution and thus should be exempted from the separation of church and state.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

That is kind of the rub here, either that statue goes, or all statures are allowed.

BocoDragon

From my experience (movies, temples, comics, etc.), this is the most common depiction of Hanuman.

EDIT: Hanuman also famously was sent off to search for a medical herb on a mountain, but he couldn't identify it, so he lifted up and entire mountain and brought it to their healer.

Plus, he probably could have taken out Ravana's entire army himself when he snuck into his city and started setting everything on fire when the rakshasas there thought setting his tail on fire was a good idea, if not for Sita telling him it wouldn't be honorable unless Rama came to save her or something.

There was also that one time he had to blow out four candles at the same time in order to stop some rakshasa. Instead of getting some other guys to come help him, he grew three more heads, all of different species, so he could blow them out himself.
These were the days when gods were actually motherfucking gods.

Monotheism God is so wimpy. Has no form and just makes storms happen and shit. Yawn. Go down to the human realm and impregnate a human female or something. And actually do it yourself... None of this immaculate conception shit. Zeus would do it himself.

PSqueak

Banned
Many lawmakers have claimed that Christianity is the basis of the Constitution and thus should be exempted from the separation of church and state.

wat.

That's stupid. Is this seriously how they get away with it?

Doesn't something like that (comically) infringes freedom of religion by having the government in bed with christianity by making such claims?

Monotheism God is so wimpy. Has no form and just makes storms happen and shit. Yawn. Go down to the human realm and impregnate a human female or something. And actually do it yourself... None of this immaculate conception shit. Zeus would do it himself.

Any god with a physical form is by defacto inferior to the concept of an all mighty monotheistic god.

Power is so off the charts we can't even begin to comprehend such a high level concept with our puny human brains.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
wat.

That's stupid. Is this seriously how they get away with it?

Doesn't something like that (comically) infringes freedom of religion by having the government in bed with christianity by making such claims?

It isn't an argument that holds up in court.

They should rotate a new statue for each religion every month.

The Arkansas state capitol grounds must become a redneck's trashy front lawn in order show how ridiculous the law is.
If they want to keep the ten commandments then they better be prepared to accept every religious statue at the state capitol.

Hanumann is pretty badass...not a believer in deities but in this case I approve.

PSqueak: or so weak he needs to come up with such a lame concept in order not to expose his puny self. Could be that one as well. A perfectly powerful god should be able to assume all forms, any forms...its only rational. Spinoza understood this...the traditional Christian god does have a particular form. He is constantly depicted as an old being, with a discernible form...

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

It is fine as long as its the right religion, Christianity. Otherwise, yes, separation of church and state is a thing.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Seems fair enough.

Edit:

lord-hanuman-hd.jpg

This god is ripped.
That's a pretty badass looking god. If a statue of that was on the capitol grounds, I might have a reason to tourize Arkansas.

dabig2

It seems like any time God or a powerful angel took human form in the OT, they got owned. Notably when iron chariots and weapons repelled God himself who came to fight a battle and of course that wrestling match with Jacob.

Best they stick to non-corporeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom