• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satanic group pushes for statue in Capitol of Bible Belt state

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Yes they do its not a real religion its a cult

"Not a real religion"? "Cult"?

All part of the same spectrum where the only real difference is how many people practice.

660px-Church-sect_continuum.svg.png

They are just being dicks. But whatever, its just fair play . . . this is why there should not be a 10 commandments statute either.

zeemumu

modern satanism is mostly tied to respect nature and giving in to our emotions. the references to "satan" and any other christian symbols are mostly out of protest against its hipocrisy. it sounds good on paper, but most satanists I met were dumbasses.

I would definitely support some satanist statues, though. I bet they would look cool.

Nah it still sounds bad on paper

Toxi

Banned
I'm not sure why people think this is dickish. They're just showing what happens when you combine religion and state. The goal is to protest the decision.

I'm not sure why people think this is dickish. They're just showing what happens when you combine religion and state. The goal is to protest the decision.

It's only dickish if you don't agree with other religions being allowed the same rights as your own.

Servbot24

Banned
I would like to see a wide variety of religious monuments in cities, as long as said religions don't explicitly support violence and discrimination. I don't really know much about Satanists - doesn't sound like a very nice name, but I never hear about them on the news so they must not be up to much trouble.

Next up Luciferians get a statue...and I'm okay with that as well.

That's like saying there isn't any difference between a grocery chain and a pyramid scheme. Both are business models.

Horrible analogy. Religion is to Walmart as Cult is to Mom & Pop grocery store.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Horrible analogy. Religion is to Walmart as Cult is to Mom & Pop grocery store.
It's only horrible when you're not interested in any difference beyond size, as you make clear there.

Hating religion is fine, but most religions make it clear who they are and what they stand for. Groups that do not cannot and should not be considered "just the same, but smaller".

It's pretty much the equivalent of low-information "both political parties are the same" whining.

commedieu

Banned
Go pick up the Satanic Bible and give it a good look through.

you cant quantify all satanisim as a cult. Or when asked, claim that its all a cult. As all satanism isn't necessarily following the bible. Like Christianity has different versions of the same tales.

You can personally think its a cult, but it doesn't apply by the definition, as its currently practiced today. People do strange things in the name of other things. But those that do, don't define the roles of the others who do not. As long as you're not hurting anyone, all religions are the same, legally.

Its no different than scientology, mormanism, or any of the isms. people abuse the scripture/words, but its not specific to satanists.

you cant quantify all satanisim as a cult. Or when asked, claim that its all a cult. As all satanism isn't necessarily following the bible. Like Christianity has different versions of the same tales.

You can personally think its a cult, but it doesn't apply by the definition, as its currently practiced today. People do strange things in the name of other things. But those that do, don't define the roles of the others who do not. As long as you're not hurting anyone, all religions are the same, legally.

Its no different than scientology, mormanism, or any of the isms. people abuse the scripture/words, but its not specific to satanists.

Good point, but I never claimed it to be a cult.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Of COURSE his name is "Lucien Greaves."
KuGsj.gif

commedieu

Banned
You mean Anton Lavey's book published by Avon Booksellers?

What is the difference if the Satanic Church/Group is tax exempt? Which is about all the legal rights of a church have in the USA? All of them are pretty much written by some guy. No need to get into what the religion is. We have the freedom to exercise it in the USA.

They could worship a twinkie, but as long as they qualify for church/tax exemption they are legally equal to any other religion.

Its all subjective opinions and beliefs, but the law is pretty clear here.

god damn it, i just looked him up and "lucien greaves" is a fake name, his real name is doug mesner and he looks like a total tool

damn it, satan, if you were really all that great you wouldn't have made that happen

What is the difference if the Satanic Church/Group is tax exempt? Which is about all the legal rights of a church have in the USA? All of them are pretty much written by some guy. No need to get into what the religion is. We have the freedom to exercise it in the USA.

They could worship a twinkie, but as long as they qualify for church/tax exemption they are legally equal to any other religion.

Its all subjective opinions and beliefs, but the law is pretty clear here.

I was talking about something else, but you're right. Heck, Dianetics is a similar example.

It's only horrible when you're not interested in any difference beyond size, as you make clear there.

Hating religion is fine, but most religions make it clear who they are and what they stand for. Groups that do not cannot and should not be considered "just the same, but smaller".

It's pretty much the equivalent of low-information "both political parties are the same" whining.

Because the only difference is size in this instance IS size, Satanism make it very clear who they are and what they stand for, the fact you don't know isn't their fault. There's an entire "book" on the ideology. And just like pretty much any religion ever, Christianity started off as a "cult" composing of a few members that had to meet in secrecy in order for their members to not be judged and/or killed outright for their beliefs, then like all religions it's popularity and influence increased, it gained more followers and became a dominate "religion". If Satanism one day took the entire NA continent by storm we can safely call it a religion at that point.

The fact the Church of Satan is recognized as a religion pretty much kills your entire argument fairly quickly. It's fine to hate things that you feel threatened by, but saying nonsensical things doesn't really change the end result; and that is if they want a statue put up, there is absolutely no grounds in which the state can deny them....because they are a religion.

Laws and equality - 1
double standards and whining - 0

Log4Girlz

I would like to see a wide variety of religious monuments in cities, as long as said religions don't explicitly support violence and discrimination. I don't really know much about Satanists - doesn't sound like a very nice name, but I never hear about them on the news so they must not be up to much trouble.

Yes as long as the religion and its holy books do not condone violence of any kind. Like stoning.

Why not? Do you support only acknowledging abrahamic faiths and ignoring the rest?

Yeah okay let's assume things. So I'm a bad guy because I'm not supporting a Satanic religion?

People can believe whatever they want, doesn't mean I have to support whatever they propose.

jaxword

Anyone else annoyed at calling this a cult? Did christianity start with a billion followers?

All religions start as cults. No point in getting annoyed at it since any modern believer just says the OTHER ones are still cults while mine is perfect.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

How is the "cult" in this (or any other) instance less defined than any mainstream religion?

Being unspecific about who they are and what they stand for doesn't factor into any definition of "cult" I can find, nor do I even see the charge of not being defined even being applicable in the case of this specific group.

Wikipedia defines cult as "A cult is an organization with deviant and novel beliefs and practices". Oxford defines cult (in this context) as "a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or as imposing excessive control over members:"

In both cases, the key issue here is "scale".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom