• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satanic group pushes for statue in Capitol of Bible Belt state

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's like saying there isn't any difference between a grocery chain and a pyramid scheme, as both are business models.

Well it all depends on what you mean by 'cult'. And a lot of people call any small not-well-known religion a 'cult'. Thus it would be like a grocery chain and a local corner grocery store.

If you belong to it, it's a religion, if not (and also hate the others) it's a cult.

Exactly.

Game-Biz

What's the difference?

It's really just the word's connotation rather than its definition. When I hear 'cult' I immediately think of a small group of crazies, rather than a traditional established, well known organizations like the Catholic church, the mormon religion, ect. Really though, it wouldn't be wrong for those to be referred to as cults either.

JdFoX187

Banned
It's really just the word's connotation rather than its definition. When I hear 'cult' I immediately think of a small group of crazies, rather than a traditional established, well known organizations like the Catholic church, the mormon religion, ect. Really though, it wouldn't be wrong for those to be referred to as cults either.

Every religion begins as a cult. All it takes is someone with enough charisma to "spread the word" and that cult then becomes a religion.

As an Oklahoma resident disgusted with the work of Gov. Marry Fallon and the bullshit state legislature, I support this 100 percent.

They're just going to ignore the request for a satanic statue.

If Oklahoma's government wants to blatantly ignore the whole "separation of Church and State" thing, then they have to deal with things like this.

No they won't. They're perfectly content with their hypocrisy. Christianity is their state religion and they have no problem saying everything else in invalid.

The Adder

Banned
What's the difference between a religion and a cult? Nothing really. Just good PR and large market share.

Not commenting on the post you're quoting, just your question:

A tendency to only offer more information about the beliefs the more money/time/work you commit to it and/or a tendency to disallow or minimize contact with the outside world.

That's basically where I draw my Religion/Cult line.

Flynn

Let's get a Baphomet statue. A goat with tits, what's not to love?

Would be bad-ass.

mXpKXyH.jpg

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
How is the "cult" in this (or any other) instance less defined than any mainstream religion?

Being unspecific about who they are and what they stand for doesn't factor into any definition of "cult" I can find, nor do I even see the charge of not being defined even being applicable in the case of this specific group.

Wikipedia defines cult as "A cult is an organization with deviant and novel beliefs and practices". Oxford defines cult (in this context) as "a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or as imposing excessive control over members:"

In both cases, the key issue here is "scale".
Dictionary citations don't win semantic arguments. Being unspecific isn't the problem, it's leveraging that unspecificity to get new followers and then add on to the package after they're already been sold on the group as a whole. In other words, it works as a con, except they aren't after your retirement accounts but your own volition. Groups like Scientology do exactly this by getting people in the door with unassuming pitches and personality tests, and then only after you're risen in the ranks do you find out that it's really all about 747s in space. If Scientology was upfront about what they do, then none of it would work anywhere near as well. That's why this aspect is so important when you discuss cults in the negative sense.

Flynn

Besides, Scientology totally fucked up the cult game by suing the pants off the Cult Awareness Network, destroying them financially, then taking the CAN over and running it themselves.

Pure evil.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
This is currently my favorite religious statue in Oklahoma on the campus of ORU.

I wonder if the satanic group will try to top it

I've been there as a young person. They're a million dollar established church/school. Their prayer tower is over a few hundred feet tall with a giant auditorium in the center.

Where's a real Church of Satan located at? Except the basements and apparently graveyards across the USA. I've always wondered why members would send money to their organization and never have a facility or even a stretch of land to have their black masses? Shouldn't they try and establish their religion instead of trying to "run with the big dogs"?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Dictionary citations don't win semantic arguments.

And making up definitions for things doesn't help your case.

Being unspecific isn't the problem, it's leveraging that unspecificity to get new followers and then add on to the package after they're already been sold on the group as a whole. In other words, it works as a con, except they aren't after your retirement accounts but your own volition. Groups like Scientology do exactly this by getting people in the door with unassuming pitches and personality tests, and then only after you're risen in the ranks do you find out that it's really all about 747s in space. If Scientology was upfront about what they do, then none of it would work anywhere near as well. That's why this aspect is so important when you discuss cults in the negative sense.

Pretty sure satanic groups like this one are very blatant in what they are and what they stand for. Indeed, it is generally built into their belief system.

So, your argument doesn't apply in this case anyway.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
And making up definitions for things doesn't help your case.
All arguments are "made up". The fundamental problem here is that the word "cult" has become so semantically muddy that few people can agree what they're even talking about. In lieu of that, I chose to talk about what's meaningful about the subject, particularly when it's used as a negative descriptor, because otherwise you're just left with equivocation and people talking past each other. That's where my comparison with business practices comes in. Grocery chains and pyramid schemes are indeed both business practices, but that's not where the important distinction between the two lies.

Now, I most certainly agree that there are groups that only differ in size and they shouldn't be maligned for that, but that's all there is to say about such groups.

Pretty sure satanic groups like this one are very blatant in what they are and what they stand for. Indeed, it is generally built into their belief system.

So, your argument doesn't apply in this case anyway.
Which I've already stated to be the case.

Jotaka

I will donate if they need funding to their cause. And they should add Buddah, Iemanjá, Odin, Zeus and all other gods too.

JDSN

Banned
A̘̥̠̝̞̫̹̥̬̺͙͎͔̝̱͒͋ͨͧ̄ͨ̎ͨ̓ͅt͓̼̝̹̪͓̪͉̣̺͕ͪ̃́̊̍̏͐ͧ̈́ͤ̇̈́ ̭̪͓͙̬͔̼̯͓̾̿̎ͣ̽͂ͫṭ͈͍̰͐͛͛̐ͧ̄ͅh͚̲̘̠͓̺̹̣̦͉͍̦͆̋ͪ͑ē̬̫̻̲̗̩̬͌̅̍ͩ͐̌͑ͯͥ́̏ͅ ̳̰̩͇̰̈̽̿̊ͭ͌̂̄̾̊ͪͤͭe̲̫̺̰̮̘̹̰͉̹̰̦̣̹̥̲̓̆͂n͓̫̖̘̖͎̖̳͔̫̪̩̰̲̮̫̮̘͑͌͌̎̊̾ͨͅd̺̝͇̟̫̝̘̠̘̩̻̬͇̱͔̝̓̓͒ͦ͆͗͆ͪ̏̔ͩ̋̉̆̉͊ͅͅ,̭͍͚̗͖͎̟̖̼̙͈͔̩͔́ͭͬ̈́̓̿͆͊̌ͧ̏ ̤̰̦̻̦̓̌̎̆͛̇̆ͮͥ̈̏̋̍ͬͅo̜͎̼͈̗̗̪͍͇̯͉̘͉͌̐̃ͯͦ͗̏ͯ̄̂ͥͮ̒͋ͬn͎̹̣͖̲̙̜̝̝̐̍ͥ̃̂̇̄̋l̦͇̙͈̩̼͔̯̖̥̱̇͂̅̈ͅy͖̬͇̜̺͚̮̣͙͎͉͖̯̯͔͊̾͋̔́̽̚ ͚͙̹̖̞̙̲͓͈̻̔̑̿̃̉ͫ̓͌̃̊ͅh͉̜̩̪̲̭͈̻͔̯͕̣̘̮̦ͮ̂͂͋ͧ̈̽̍͆̑ͨ̿e̼͓̯̣̳̝̫̞͖͓͆̐ͦ̈̽̎ͣ ̤̻͔͈͍̙̮̮̱͓̲̟̙́͗ͤ̊ͮ̆̋̂͗͛̆͛ͣ̓ͩͣͅr̼͓̘̫̰̪͇͕͕̣̪̟̭͚̆͛̄́̔ͥ̋͒ͅͅe̠͍̰͇̱̹̩̞̗ͮ̈́̎̏̿͒m̠̪̪͖̹͉̠̻̤̳̰̭̼̩̫ͨ̾̈̇̇̑̇̌ͧ͂̈a̤̬̗͉̰̺͕̰͙̮̺̥͍͕̺̱̳̝͆̾ͫ̄͊̋̇̀͆͋̓ͥͦͥi̪̤̣̖͎̜̐̀̆ͣͧ̑̈́̿̈́̏̾̃̽̎̾n̻̟̹̜̤̠͉̱̟̞̻̰̮̗͚̝̬̊ͬͦ͌ͩ̏ͩ̎ͦ͛́ͫ̚̚ṣ͖̺̯ͮ̇ͧ̇͛͆ͥ͒͆̌̚.͖̣̠̺̦̙̔̅̆ͣ

pants

Holy shit.

A̘̥̠̝̞̫̹̥̬̺͙͎͔̝̱͒͋ͨͧ̄ͨ̎ͨ̓ͅt͓̼̝̹̪͓̪͉̣̺͕ͪ̃́̊̍̏͐ͧ̈́ͤ̇̈́ ̭̪͓͙̬͔̼̯͓̾̿̎ͣ̽͂ͫṭ͈͍̰͐͛͛̐ͧ̄ͅh͚̲̘̠͓̺̹̣̦͉͍̦͆̋ͪ͑ē̬̫̻̲̗̩̬͌̅̍ͩ͐̌͑ͯͥ́̏ͅ ̳̰̩͇̰̈̽̿̊ͭ͌̂̄̾̊ͪͤͭe̲̫̺̰̮̘̹̰͉̹̰̦̣̹̥̲̓̆͂n͓̫̖̘̖͎̖̳͔̫̪̩̰̲̮̫̮̘͑͌͌̎̊̾ͨͅd̺̝͇̟̫̝̘̠̘̩̻̬͇̱͔̝̓̓͒ͦ͆͗͆ͪ̏̔ͩ̋̉̆̉͊ͅͅ,̭͍͚̗͖͎̟̖̼̙͈͔̩͔́ͭͬ̈́̓̿͆͊̌ͧ̏ ̤̰̦̻̦̓̌̎̆͛̇̆ͮͥ̈̏̋̍ͬͅo̜͎̼͈̗̗̪͍͇̯͉̘͉͌̐̃ͯͦ͗̏ͯ̄̂ͥͮ̒͋ͬn͎̹̣͖̲̙̜̝̝̐̍ͥ̃̂̇̄̋l̦͇̙͈̩̼͔̯̖̥̱̇͂̅̈ͅy͖̬͇̜̺͚̮̣͙͎͉͖̯̯͔͊̾͋̔́̽̚ ͚͙̹̖̞̙̲͓͈̻̔̑̿̃̉ͫ̓͌̃̊ͅh͉̜̩̪̲̭͈̻͔̯͕̣̘̮̦ͮ̂͂͋ͧ̈̽̍͆̑ͨ̿e̼͓̯̣̳̝̫̞͖͓͆̐ͦ̈̽̎ͣ ̤̻͔͈͍̙̮̮̱͓̲̟̙́͗ͤ̊ͮ̆̋̂͗͛̆͛ͣ̓ͩͣͅr̼͓̘̫̰̪͇͕͕̣̪̟̭͚̆͛̄́̔ͥ̋͒ͅͅe̠͍̰͇̱̹̩̞̗ͮ̈́̎̏̿͒m̠̪̪͖̹͉̠̻̤̳̰̭̼̩̫ͨ̾̈̇̇̑̇̌ͧ͂̈a̤̬̗͉̰̺͕̰͙̮̺̥͍͕̺̱̳̝͆̾ͫ̄͊̋̇̀͆͋̓ͥͦͥi̪̤̣̖͎̜̐̀̆ͣͧ̑̈́̿̈́̏̾̃̽̎̾n̻̟̹̜̤̠͉̱̟̞̻̰̮̗͚̝̬̊ͬͦ͌ͩ̏ͩ̎ͦ͛́ͫ̚̚ṣ͖̺̯ͮ̇ͧ̇͛͆ͥ͒͆̌̚.͖̣̠̺̦̙̔̅̆ͣ

46XJOL9.png

dafaq?

PJV3

Freaky.

Dai101

Banned
what is this trickery!?

N̸̷̊ͩ̈́̀͛̑̃͊̋҉͓͎̝̟̖͕̜͓̳̗͇̻͈̺̤͍o̩͇͎̼͎̝͉̖̳̜̪͕͙̠̞͍̩̫͊̄ͣͨ̈̿̏̿͞͡ ̢ͤͪ͗̇̊̒̒̿̓̃̔̀͐͜͏͔̠̝̬̜͈̦̳̮̩̝͔t̴̵͖̦̫͙̭̣̬͈͖̊̒ͩ̇ͮ̏́̂ͦ͌ͣ͌ͩ̈́̂ͤ̈́ͤ͞͞r̋̅̐͆ͩ͗͑̾̾ͪ̃ͭͫ̂̋͊͞͏̵̙͕̺̗̰̰͙̮̦̘̮͚̦̮̮̖̣ĭ̷̋͛̌ͬͩͨ͑̚͏̴̻̹͇̣̦̳͉̝̤̩̳͕͔͇͢c̶̳̱͉̥̬̗̭̭͉̫̯̗͕̪͍͎ͧͨ̍̐̋͊͑ͮ͌ͫ́̕͝͡ͅk̶̶͎͙̟̳͚̉͑̀͊̔̅̓̈́ͨ̑́̒̾̽́͟é͇̭̲̭̯̞̳̝͖̖̫̺̞̭̲ͦ͐͋̓́́̀̚ͅr̴̸̪͕̮̰͓̀̐̄̉̑͂͘̕y̷̸̷̟͍͉̳͙̘̠̅̔̃͗͐̓̅̓̚͝ ̷̋̍͊̑ͥ̆͂҉̡̺̻͚̳̬͓̣̯͙̫͙͓̀ȧ̧̧̼͖̰͙͕̜̪̯̟͔̲̺̘̖̻̯̞̖̅͋̊̇̌̋͆̇ͪ̌ͩ̓̂̽̇̂̀͢͝t̨͇̫͕̹̞̰̥͔̠̫̥ͥͮ̐ͮ̎̔ͤ̾̅̌̅̋͘ ̵̢̇̂ͫͭ͂̆ͬ̉͋͂̃ͭ̀͡҉̩̬̜ạ̟͎͕̤͎̮̺̊͆ͭ͑̾̑͐́ͤ̊̚̕͘̕͡͠ͅͅl̷̢͙̻̪͈͖̲̝͒̀͊ͪ͆͌ͯ̐͊̏̐̎̚̚̕͟ĺ̑́͠͏̖͉̟͎̳̞̤͔̘͕̭̝͇̝͔͙

Well hey, if you're going to give space for one religion, you need to give space for 'em all, Satanic included.

Put the statue up.

Anura

what is this trickery!?

̙̠͓̳̎̀͑
̧̓̾̽̈̊̂͗҉͏̖͉͕̞̯͓͉͍
͉͎͎̝̘̀ͦ̎͆i̶̮̥͖̣̻ͣͤ̿ͥ̅̈́̚t̡̯̲̪͎͆̋̈́̈́̃̇ͫ͘ ̝͉͖̯̺̓̈́̍ͬ͋̚ĭ̴̛̙ͩ̉̈ͮş̥͖͈̠̌ͩͪ̀ ̺͚̗̦ͩ̓̊ͭ͂̽͝o͓̬̰̯̼͕͖̞ͨ̃ͥ̒̆͞n̡̹͈͉͈̟̲͕̺͚̏͑̂ͩ͑̋͐͘͢l͕̪̥̻̣͔̦̉̑̃ͧ̀y̭̦̗̗̥͚̼͔̏̍̀ͦͭ̒͜͟ ̸̠̺͓̘̼͕͍̿̄̈́̉ͨ̏̓̀ͅt̘͉̱̩͙̮̲̬̳ͧ́̐̓̃ͮ̿̉͡h̸͖̦ͬͫeͤͦ͒҉̤̹̼͇͍̥͎̬̪ ͎̌̍̅̈́ͨ̿ͣ̽̕b͇̟̼̩͓̲̞̾̍̈ͨ̆̆͋̀͞e͚̪̊ͭͥ͆͛̆̒̿̕g̵̪̭͔͆ͧͧ̓̀́ͥ͞i̘̲͉̞̠̫͉͙̱̔̌̚n̴̞̺̦̗͍͎͈͚̟ͩͣ̄͝n͈͎̜͉̻̪̉͞i̡̜̺̮̋ͤn̝̠̲͇͓͗̅͊ͧ̉ġ̢͍͔͓̮͍͆ͧͫ̾ͮ̀ ̧̢̘̫̿̾̑ͫ͑͆ͭͦ

Anura

I never really understood Satanism. You want to pick the stooge from someone else's mythology and worship him?

Funnily enough he does more good than god in the stories. God floods the world, enacts infanticide, throws plagues everywhere and gets worshiped for it. Satan gives us knowledge and free will and is evil for it. At least from a base level knowledge of it all

Log4Girlz

Funnily enough he does more good than god in the stories. God floods the world, enacts infanticide, throws plagues everywhere and gets worshiped for it. Satan gives us knowledge and free will and is evil for it. At least from a base level knowledge of it all

Satanism is a religion of peace. Who knows how many acts of villainy have been committed in the name of Christianity. Oh, but Satanism is the one to watch out for.

Remember when the mean ol' atheists warned you dummies about this, but you were too busy ignoring their logic and were instead focused on their alleged tears?

Lol.

I've been there as a young person. They're a million dollar established church/school. Their prayer tower is over a few hundred feet tall with a giant auditorium in the center.

Where's a real Church of Satan located at? Except the basements and apparently graveyards across the USA. I've always wondered why members would send money to their organization and never have a facility or even a stretch of land to have their black masses? Shouldn't they try and establish their religion instead of trying to "run with the big dogs"?

I never really understood Satanism. You want to pick the stooge from someone else's mythology and worship him?

The vast majority of people identifying as Satanists don't actually worship Satan. These Satanists essentially see Satan as a symbol of individualism, reveling in human instinct, and free thought. It is more of a philosophy to most people. What you guys are probably thinking of is theistic Satanism and while it does happen, it is a lot rarer. This Satanic Temple group seems to be of the philosophical variety rather than the theistic one.

LCGeek

formerly sane

No he doesn't both commit a lot of actions that should make most people think about serving them or their causes.

God floods the world to keep the purity of his creation and keep abominations from killing them. Plagues only happened to certain people and it was to prove his existence, to put things in perspective both sides were in gigantic magical pissing contest. Satan didn't give us knowledge and most knowledge he gives to anyone in the bible is for the purpose of manipulation and disinformation. He didn't give knowledge and free will to adam and eve. Satan tempted adam and eve to eat the fruit which is why they saw their existence and world with tinted rose glasses go bye bye.

If I was being objective I wouldn't trust either and avoid them at all costs, which if you read revelation doesn't seem like it will be happening.

Anura

No he doesn't both commit a lot of actions that should make most people think about serving them or their causes.

God floods the world to keep the purity of his creation and keep abominations from killing them. Plagues only happened to certain people and it was to prove his existence, to put things in perspective both sides were in gigantic magical pissing contest. Satan didn't give us knowledge and most knowledge he gives to anyone in the bible is for the purpose of manipulation and disinformation. He didn't give knowledge and free will to adam and eve. Satan tempted adam and eve to eat the fruit which is why they saw their existence and world with tinted rose glasses go bye bye.

If I was being objective I wouldn't trust either and avoid them at all costs, which if you read revelation doesn't seem like it will be happening.

I wouldn't trust both either but I still think Satan is far better. Especially when if I remember right the flood was used to wash away rampant sin. Sin is something even God acknowledges is unavoidable. A flood is harsh for something that is inevitable and a fault of the creator and not the creations.

Of course I am an atheist so I'm not coming at this from a point of a lot of knowledge or particularly care much for it

Dai101

Banned

I don't see how that's a bad thing.

I wouldn't trust both either but I still think Satan is far better. Especially when if I remember right the flood was used to wash away rampant sin. Sin is something even God acknowledges is unavoidable. A flood is harsh for something that is inevitable and a fault of the creator and not the creations.

Of course I am an atheist so I'm not coming at this from a point of a lot of knowledge or particularly care much for it

Technically it isn't because it's humanities fault for sin from the apple, but I see what you mean and this is why Jesus was born.

The Bible isn't the clearest thing to understand despite how long its been around but that rings true for most main religions.

Anura

Technically it isn't because it's humanities fault for sin from the apple, but I see what you mean and this is why Jesus was born.

The Bible isn't the clearest thing to understand despite how long its been around but that rings true for most main religions.
Fair enough. The vagueness of all religion is one of its biggest faults and opens it up for a lot of crazies to twist

zon

This might sound crazy, but acting smug doesn't actually make you look cool.

Where to begin. Let's start with being smug. If you had said you had gotten 80/100 on a test and I'd shown up saying "I got 90/100 but I'm sure 80 is a good result by your standards", then I'd be smug. Telling you to look something up on your own is not being smug.

I'm annoyed. You could'be looked it up long ago and gotten your answer. It would taken you less than 30 seconds to google it and get the wikipedia article, then maybe after five minutes you would've had the answer.

LCGeek

formerly sane

Better they both do extremely shitty things, may I ask how does one objectively even begin to rate either. Read the story again sin was part of it but OT makes it clear their are various groups of mixed humans some with nephilim blood and he did it to keep purity. Rampant sin was a result of the problem not the cause. You not caring for it shows. You don't have to be a theological scholar but knowing the details really helps as that is basically what a lot arguing in the bible comes down too. Being an atheist isn't an excuse for ignorance or leaving out big bits of huge stories in something you happen to be talking about.

Dai101 they lose their immortality and basically become the two sole human beings responsible for the suffering of everyone to come after them. Pretty bad if you ask me, though I'm not up for the whole living in ignorance paradise business either. Bible is pretty shitty and horrific all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom