• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satanists unveil statue for the Oklahoma state capitol

Status
Not open for further replies.

aly

As a Christian, I see the point they are trying to make, You can't have favoritism for any group. Personally, I think they should just leave all of them off. Then you won't have to worry about complaining or offending.

what I love the most about Baphomet is how completely made up it is. There's no actual "demon" in any old mythology named, or with the resemblance of, Baphomet, be it Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, anything. It was invented by the church to trial and execute masons.

I'm surprised at how tame it is, I guess breasts and erected phallus are against obscenity laws over there or something.

Well, all the images of demons, devils, angels and monsters are made up, the difference is when they were made it up, if hundreds or thousands of years ago.

Odd that most sects of Satanism expressly require atheism/complete dismissal of the supernatural, yet number 7 seems like the copout "well just in case supernatural entities/powers DO exist, go ahead and have fun with that anyway."

Seems to me an in-joke.

Acknowledge the power of magic!!! ...if you can do magic in first place, of course.

Given that none ever had done it, because it doesn't exist, you are never going to acknowledge the power of magic, in the end.

My friend just said she will go to Oklahoma and reenact a particular scene from Berserk if it goes up.

And no she's not going to try to fuck the thing, just a few poses.
all fun and games until it comes to life
s7jTxWL.jpg

mclem

holy crap I just wiki'd the Church of Satan

The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth
  1. Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.
  2. Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.
  3. When in another's lair, show them respect or else do not go there.
  4. If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat them cruelly and without mercy.
  5. Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
  6. Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and they cry out to be relieved.
  7. Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.
  8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
  9. Do not harm little children.
  10. Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.
  11. When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they don’t stop, destroy them.

I..I think im a convert

Satan pls embrace me <3

So, basically about 60% GAF?

Now decide which 60% :)

Metal-Geo

The dimensions make it sound like a relatively small statue. The entire thing is going to be only 7 feet high? Disappointing! Despite it looking pretty bad ass.

mantidor

Well, all the images of demons, devils, angels and monsters are made up, the difference is when they were made it up, if hundreds or thousands of years ago.

Well yeah deities are made up of course, but they usually are made up by their own worshippers, and in the case of demons most were deities of other religions "demonized" to destroy said religion as heretic, that Baphomet was invented as propaganda against some other group to get them killed "legally" with no bases whatsoever in anything that existed is it's own kind of insanity.

holy crap I just wiki'd the Church of Satan

The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth
  1. Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.
  2. Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.
  3. When in another's lair, show them respect or else do not go there.
  4. If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat them cruelly and without mercy.
  5. Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
  6. Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and they cry out to be relieved.
  7. Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.
  8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
  9. Do not harm little children.
  10. Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.
  11. When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they don’t stop, destroy them.

I..I think im a convert

Satan pls embrace me <3

This is fucking amazing, I like the little children stab at catholics
I lost it at the last one, hahaha

Pretty nice statue as well

Well, bless his noodley appendages! What a treat!

ph9k7os.gif

Enron

Banned
You know this thing is probably never going to go up. And if it does, some local is going to smash it to pieces, and the authorities probably won't care

Anton668

HERE’S THE FIRST LOOK AT THE NEW SATANIC MONUMENT BEING BUILT FOR OKLAHOMA’S STATEHOUSE

In January the Satanic Temple announced plans to erect a monument glorifying the Dark Lord on the front lawn of the Oklahoma Statehouse. An Indiegogo campaign was launched with what seemed like a somewhat lofty goal of $20,000, but by the time donations ended almost $30,000 had been raised. Now an artist trained in classical sculpture is toiling away in New York, crafting a Baphomet figure sitting beneath an inverted pentagram and flanked by two children gazing upward in loyalty. When it is finished, it will be cast in bronze and, the Satanists hope, eventually displayed in Oklahoma.

Screen-Shot-20f14-05-01-at-1-22-20-PM.jpg

Screen-Shot-2014-05-01-at-1-24-57-PM.jpg

Meesh

They probably had to make it conservative and family-friendly by removing Snake Penis and the boobs.
OMG, I just had a thought...we need a Satanist advertisement campaign where all the art is by Norman Rockwell and all of Satanica is portrayed in "Leave it to Beaver" type scenarios! I would by many a prints :)

K.Sabot

They'll probably ignore their own ruling and stop it from going up, but I hope we can still get it there somehow.

Take a picture of it in front of the capital and then trend that picture so it comes up when someone looks up Oklahoma. like with rick santorum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom