• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satanists unveil statue for the Oklahoma state capitol

Status
Not open for further replies.

waypoetic

Banned
The group, which calls itself "The Satanic Temple," today unveiled its proposal for a monument it intends to erect next to another religious statue: a depiction of the Ten Commandments.

It would also include quotes from poets William Blake and Lord Byron.
The monument, said the group’s spokesman, was designed to reflect the views of Satanists in Oklahoma City and could doubly serve as a tourist attraction.

Oklahoma state legislators in 2009 approved the installation of a privately-funded Ten Commandments monument. It was installed last year over the protests of the local chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union. The Satanic Temple wasn’t the only group to apply for a monument; People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, the satirical Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and a Hindu group have also requested a place near the Capitol steps.

"Either way you cut it, this is a First Amendment issue," Greaves said. "Once they open that door, they can't discriminate."

State Rep. Mike Ritze, who spearheaded the campaign to erect the Ten Commandments and paid for that monument, did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

Oklahoma lawmakers have declared that Satanists should not be allowed to construct a monument of their own. The city Preservation Commission last month voted to ban additional statues on Capitol grounds until a judge decides on an ACLU suit to remove the current Ten Commandments monument.

Greaves assured the Satanists’ monument would be “in good taste and consistent with community standards.”

Asked why the Temple had chosen to descend on Oklahoma, Greaves said the locals had reached out to him after the Ten Commandments had been erected.

According to The Satanic Temple's application, the proposed monument features a large pentagram and “a 7-foot tall goat-headed Baphomet that sits cross-legged flanked by a child on both sides. The lap will serve as a seat for visitors:

010613_Satanic_monument_600.jpg

- http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/Satanists_unveil_proposed_statue_for_state_capitol.html

Call upon any diety to smite me where i stand me if old!

Damaniel

Banned
It would totally be worth the trip to Oklahoma to sit in Baphomet's lap. Plus, it would drive the evangelicals nuts. I like it.

(It will never get placed, though. The state will declare it indecent, and try to pass some law that effectively limits these types of displays to overtly Christian ones -- first amendment be damned)

besada

Banned
If it ever goes up, I'll drive up to OK and have my picture taken on Baphomet's lap.

Hell, I already drove up there to take a picture with a statue of Jim Rockford.

Savitar

I like how it has kids on either side, nice touch.

Plus depending on how big it is you could have people sitting on his lap and getting pictures taken when throwing up some horns.

Guevara

That's actually really good. And yes I bet tourists will line up to take their picture in His Abominable lap.

Protein

Banned
The Satanic Temple wasn’t the only group to apply for a monument; People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, the satirical Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and a Hindu group have also requested a place near the Capitol steps.

This is amazing. I bet those religious politicians are losing their shit. This should be done everywhere.

Also, hey I saw that guy in
Berserk!

waypoetic

Banned
Hrm...isn't Baphomet like...not having anything to do with Satan at all, except for the whole horns thing?

I'm not tuned in to all the groups of satanism, but the Church of Satan doesn't worship "Satan"/the devil/Beelzebub, maybe this organization is at the same type of level as the "head church".

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The article mentions a ban until a judge decides on an ACLU suit, anyone know when that is?

Will Cradle of Filth being playing at all times coming from the statues mouth? If not, I pass.

Seriously, OK opened up the can and I see no reason that these Satanist shouldn't be able to have this. It's inoffensive and not in poor taste. Unless your just offended by other religions that aren't your own.

Damaniel

Banned
I'm not tuned in to all the groups of satanism, but the Church of Satan doesn't worship "Satan"/the devil/Beelzebub, maybe this organization is at the same type of level as the "head church".

From what I understand, for most of the Satanic churches it's not so much about deifying Satan, but more about guiding life principles, and the imagery/idols/symbolism is as much for show as it is for anything else. Baphomet is kind of the stereotypical 'Satanic idol', hence it's (effective) use in this monument.

waypoetic

Banned
From what I understand, for most of the Satanic churches it's not so much about deifying Satan, but more about guiding life principles, and the imagery/idols/symbolism is as much for show as it is for anything else. Baphomet is kind of the stereotypical 'Satanic idol', hence it's (effective) use in this monument.

Yup. It's a "branch of individualism" as i've understood. You are the god of your life and your actions (good or bad) are by you and the effects are for you to deal with - not to pray to any demon diety for it "heal you" or "save you"; you brought this shit upon yourself, now fix it.

casabolg

Banned
Yup. It's a "branch of individualism" as i've understood. You are the god of your life and your actions (good or bad) are by you and the effects are for you to deal with - not to pray to any demon diety for it "heal you" or "save you"; you brought this shit upon yourself, now fix it.
Individualism is too broad. Laveyan Satanism a mix of epicureanism and secular humanism with a strong focus on personal respect (which has lead to it promoting the "eye for an eye" kind of morality). That said, Laveyan Satanism is not Satanism as a whole, as there are several bunches of esoteric groups and Lavey's is the most popular.

EulaCapra

The Satanic Temple wasn’t the only group to apply for a monument; People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, the satirical Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and a Hindu group have also requested a place near the Capitol step
You know, no big deal.

dan2026

So do they legally have to let them put up their cool statue?

They can't favour one religious group over another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom