• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

I mean, everyone retroactively suspended their disbelief or otherwise "Band-Aids heal everything" and "
almost
no one dies outside of flashbacks" wouldn't have become facts of the series in the fanbase. It's just that people rationalize it as an aspect of Oda's writing style instead of an in universe explaination. Which is the contrast Tolkien tries to make between suspension of disbelief and being a part of the world you built.

Something people didn't suspend their disbelief over would be stuff like Kuina dying from falling down stairs or the idea of tiered devil fruits, both of which a core segment of fans don't believe. Meanwhile everyone accepts that Pell survived because of lol Band-Aids.

Pell was the start of the "Nobody Dies in One Piece" shtick. Outside of that, I didn't have a big qualm with it. In fact, I liked it because OP is a good example of how to keep stakes high and have actual consequences without killing people.

As for Kuina, I don't believe it's a fair comparison since that was early One Piece and Oda was still fine-tuning his own method of a sad flashback.
Kuina dying in such a mundane way was likely intentional. The talented young swordswoman who wants to be the strongest in the world...dies from falling down the stairs.

Ogodei

Too bad she lost her sword skills as well

My story accounts for that, but that raises the question: did she? Kuina was afraid that she was going to peak at a young age because she was a girl, and Tashigi was never inept, just never quite in the league of those around her.

Ray Down

Banned
Stairs are tough. It could happen to anyone.

tumblr_m9mn4pjlOd1qen0e0.gif

caliph95

My story accounts for that, but that raises the question: did she? Kuina was afraid that she was going to peak at a young age because she was a girl, and Tashigi was never inept, just never quite in the league of those around her.
I guess the bullies are right, boys are superior to girls. Thank you oda

I mean how many died in the buster call of Ennies Lobby? I'm pretty sure the entire Galley-la and franky family made it out, and even the cp9 got out of the ruined thing (comparing to Ohara where only Robin made it out). Watch next cover story being monet wandering through the ruins and fixing vergo, then they voyage to find Doflamingo (who managed to escape, right?).

I think it's valid criticism. In HxH, and lately my hero academia you get the sense that anything can happen. In the latter not with the usual plot armored protagonists but in hxh you can't really be sure, and i think that adds a lot to the story.

LotusHD

Banned
I mean how many died in the buster call of Ennies Lobby? I'm pretty sure the entire Galley-la and franky family made it out, and even the cp9 got out of the ruined thing (comparing to Ohara where only Robin made it out). Watch next cover story being monet wandering through the ruins and fixing vergo, then they voyage to find Doflamingo (who managed to escape, right?).

I think it's valid criticism. In HxH, and lately my hero academia you get the sense that anything can happen. In the latter not with the usual plot armored protagonists but in hxh you can't really be sure, and i think that adds a lot to the story.

Who said it wasn't a valid criticism?

LotusHD

Banned
Spoilers
Chapter of Akainu's press conference

He would do a much better job at least lmao

There there kat

:(

What even is happening in the story right now, it feels like it's been months.

It's been 2 weeks, they're escaping from Big Mom, Prometheus almost killed them, probably killed King Baum... probably. Zeus may do a thing or two for Nami, we'll see, but currently Big Mom is not riding Zeus.

Katakuri is waiting on their ship for them just in case.

Pudding seems to be genuine in wanting to save Sanji and co. from Big Mom.

Ogodei

I have nothing to do with my time at all :-/ (only so many jobs you can apply for, and then it's waiting around for the interviews you schedule), so maybe i could start binging classic One Piece in between applications.

I have nothing to do with my time at all :-/ (only so many jobs you can apply for, and then it's waiting around for the interviews you schedule), so maybe i could start binging classic One Piece in between applications.
Fly to my city and come work with me.

Playing aside any luck with that so far

And what ever happened to hey we're all gonna read one piece together..Who started that lol

LotusHD

Banned
Y'all depressing me lmao

---

Just peeped a post that said Trump should be compared to a new villain everyone hates, like Hody Jones. But that comparison don't really make much sense lol

Euphony

Banned
Oh god that is her lol

Hope all is well on the personal side. D:

Also, predictions anyone?

Just stressing over life plans and such.

I can't imagine Chiffon and Pudding would bake the cake in such a short amount of time, so I'm doubting that this plot point is going to be resolved in the next chapter. My best guess is it's going to be mainly focused on the Straw Hats trying to get through the Seducing Woods. Maybe Nami will get her chance to shine and bring out her mirage tempo.

Top Bottom