• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

Kuntz

Best moment in Arlong Park history is on april's fools when they became Dragon Zone and everything was changed to the HK dubs names like Sunkist, Clock Dell and Liar Bu.

caliph95

There's more of a chance with Romance in MHA than OP so there's more potential pairings I think never paid attention to OP since I joined late but

Eh

LotusHD

Banned
Are we better or worse than My Hero with shipping?

Who aren't we better than shipping-wise, at least as far as shounens go? Like yea, even for OP it exists, but the majority of fans knows full well not to expect anything. At best you get couples that are already set up, like Capone and Chiffon for example. And as far as I can recall, Sanji and Pudding is the first he's gone out of his way to tease stuff like that. Oh, and Usopp and Kaya one day if you're that desperate.

Anyways, MHA is easily worse. Everybody gets shipped in that.

Veelk

Banned
Who aren't we better than shipping-wise, at least as far as shounens go?

Anyways, MHA is easily worse. Everybody gets shipped in that.

Every discussion of MHA shipping I've seen on gaf has been civil and down to earth. No one is starting any flame wars on the idea of their couple not getting together.

I thought shit like that was what made shipping troublesome. If people are being chill, then what's the problem?

caliph95

I don't remember any shipping wars but people do ship tsuyu and Deku maybe that causes conflict but I never pay attention to that

LotusHD

Banned
Every discussion of MHA shipping I've seen on gaf has been civil and down to earth. No one is starting any flame wars on the idea of their couple not getting together.

I thought shit like that was what made shipping troublesome. If people are being chill, then what's the problem?

I just took it literally, as in, who does the whole shipping thing more. From my perspective, that is MHA, but yes, I don't know of them being necessarily toxic about it. So worse in this context merely means that their cast seems to be shipped more frequently. Or at least, the series is written in a way that lends to it more when compared to One Piece.

I guess I'm basically saying that I've always viewed OP as being the "calmest", so with that in mind, other shounen series are "worse".

Veelk

Banned
I don't remember any shipping wars but people do ship tsuyu and Deku maybe that causes conflict but I never pay attention to that

It doesn't.

Look, if we want to get technical, all shipping really means is relationshipping. Meaning it's a discussion about how people want characters to relate to each other. Stuff like discussing who the next strawhat will be technically qualifies because it's about what a given character's relationship will be with the protagonists. So One Piece does a lot of shipping already.

Talking about about a character's relationship with another in a romantic sense is just a specific variant of shipping that happens to be the best known, often for the worst reason. Because people tend to get heavily emotionally invested in what is possibly the most emotionally charged kind of relationship. But there's nothing wrong with people just talking about couples they'd think would be interesting if they got together, even non-canon or far out ones. It's how people too often get into fights over it, not the existence of romantic discussions themselves, that are the problem.

Because once you strip away the part about people being dicks to one another over it, all it is is another aspect of any given show.

I just took it literally, as in, who does the whole shipping thing more. From my perspective, that is MHA, but yes, I don't know of them being necessarily toxic about it. So worse in this context merely means that their cast seems to be shipped more frequently. Or at least, the series is written in a way that lends to it more when compared to One Piece.

I guess I'm basically saying that I've always viewed OP as being the "calmest", so with that in mind, other shounen series are "worse".

Ah, okay....I guess I didn't like the wording because I thought you meant to say that shipping is inherently bad, which...yeah, I disagree with a lot...and in fact, I consider it a weakness of OP's crew that the characters lack this dynamic to the point of being really wierd about how they interact with each other. That's what found strange about saying no shipping is the best.

Shipping can be fun but sometimes people always carry things to far .
I for one am happy that OP has no shipping with in the SH .
Truth is right now i just wish the whole crew spend more time together .

Ray Down

Banned
Shipping can be fun but sometimes people always carry things to far .
I for one am happy that OP has no shipping with in the SH .
Truth is right now i just wish the whole crew spend more time together .

They will have time together again fighting an immortal demon in a samurai country.

Or in a cool color spread on a roller coaster.

I've come to the conclusion that all romantic side plots that exist in works of fiction that aren't inherently part of the narrative at hand are a waste of my time.

Doubly so for long form serialized work.

Ray Down

Banned
I've come to the conclusion that all romantic side plots that exist in works of fiction that aren't inherently part of the narrative at hand are a waste of my time.

Pretty much.

Most shonen artist know this, that why most of it is just small teasing.

NSESN

I agree. I know some people aren't that bad with it, but the few that go to far makes me hate shipping.

Ray Down

Banned
book01.jpg

I would love Oda to do a cover like this for an ultimate collection art book, but their's WAY to many characters in this fucking series.

It doesn't.

Look, if we want to get technical, all shipping really means is relationshipping. Meaning it's a discussion about how people want characters to relate to each other. Stuff like discussing who the next strawhat will be technically qualifies because it's about what a given character's relationship will be with the protagonists. So One Piece does a lot of shipping already.

Talking about about a character's relationship with another in a romantic sense is just a specific variant of shipping that happens to be the best known, often for the worst reason. Because people tend to get heavily emotionally invested in what is possibly the most emotionally charged kind of relationship. But there's nothing wrong with people just talking about couples they'd think would be interesting if they got together, even non-canon or far out ones. It's how people too often get into fights over it, not the existence of romantic discussions themselves, that are the problem.

Because once you strip away the part about people being dicks to one another over it, all it is is another aspect of any given show.

Ah, okay....I guess I didn't like the wording because I thought you meant to say that shipping is inherently bad, which...yeah, I disagree with a lot...and in fact, I consider it a weakness of OP's crew that the characters lack this dynamic to the point of being really wierd about how they interact with each other. That's what found strange about saying no shipping is the best.
yep, luffy's asexual nature is just getting kinda weird at this point, and Zoro and Robin seem to be mature/old enough to where a romantic relationship would very much fit their characters. would be even funny if zoro just has a lover he writes too and never mentions her, lol...his forgetfulness would very much be in harmony with something like that.

Ray Down

Banned
Why the hell do people ship Robin and Zoro?

I really can't think of a shonen series that has a huge age gap when it comes to characters.

yep, luffy's asexual nature is just getting kinda weird at this point, and Zoro and Robin seem to be mature/old enough to where a romantic relationship would very much fit their characters. would be even funny if zoro just has a lover he writes too and never mentions her, lol...his forgetfulness would very much be in harmony with something like that.

How is it getting weird ?
Is it so hard to see that the crew don't care about relationship .
Also i hardly see robin caring about a relationship unless you forgetting about her past .
The same with Zoro and his goal .

It has be decades for us but i think people forget how little time has past in the OP world .
For eg if we count the early crew members they have been together 6 to 8 months before Sabaody arc.

Luffy is a refreshing shonen protagonist, even more so if he is asexual. The fact the he has displayed zero sense of attraction or sexual embarrassment in general is such a nice breather from many other manga which feel it necessary to shoehorn in sexy or romantic scenarios.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm honestly glad One Piece isn't getting into the romance shit. It'd be a drag on the story, just another long running plotline to manage. Except it wouldn't tie into all the other plotlines, it'd just be a parallel thing that's there for no real reason other than people want it.

All this talk about shipping in shonen is giving me some serious Naruto ptsd

Glad OP doesn't have a serious romantic plot. The current pudding X Sanji is the closest thing we have, but it's very nonchalant and comedic.

I think it would be even weirder for the story to introduce elements like that at this stage. The crew members certainly aren't going to suddenly find each other attractive.

Ray Down

Banned
I think it would be even weirder for the story to introduce elements like that at this stage. The crew members certainly aren't going to suddenly find each other attractive.

But Nami should suddenly grow feelings for eyebrows and have a cat fight with Pudding for drama.

/sarcasm

Chase17

Luffy is a refreshing shonen protagonist, even more so if he is asexual. The fact the he has displayed zero sense of attraction or sexual embarrassment in general is such a nice breather from many other manga which feel it necessary to shoehorn in sexy or romantic scenarios.
Good thing we have a manga where the protagonist has strong morals like Black Clover.
14c80348ab205bd1e24c2523913bc0bde1b442fc_hq.jpg

And just so there is no confusion sister refers to the nun from his home town that he has a crush on.

Ray Down

Banned
Finally, we can get the Jimbei centric OP we deserve.

So the new OP comes the same day as the double episode.

There's no way it's just Jinbei.

Big Mom, Pudding, shot of the wedding and it's guests, Sanji and Pudding on the cake, other like luffy and nami locked up, Jinbei sake shot with Big Mom.

Top Bottom