• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Fishman arc was a scale back in power levels which is why I think so many people disliked it. It was very "East Blue 2.0" in that it existed mostly to build the structure for the timeskip going forward and was pretty low stakes. I will always love it though, especially the colored manga. It's got some S-tier landscape design, the myth of Noah and Joyboy and a Poneglyph and Shirley's vision and all sorts of other awesome worldbuilding material, Luffy talking to sea kings, the Straw Hats showing off their new strength. It had a lot of awesome in it, but it's forever eclipsed by the shadow of Marineford.

RomanceDawn

Jimbei's speech in the VIZ version was worded very well, props again to Stephen. Afterward in this version Jimbei says "I'll help you identify sea currents!!" and while that isn't much different from the other fan version, the way its presented here just cements Jimbei as the future helmsman for the crew.

When I think of Jimbei, the Fishman Karate master, steering a boat super efficiently I'm reminded of southern Chinese martial artists from back in the day. The southerners were/are a little shorter, stockier and they were fisherman and farmers. They developed their styles with their fishing and farming professions in mind with a lot of low squatting and powerful stances. Even today you can see folks going up and down rivers on little rafts or boats practicing their arts while being perfectly in tune with the motion of the boat being rocked by water. Those southern styles are what were combined with traditional martial arts of Okinawa to birth Karate in our worlds Ryukyu Kingdom.

The similar names, the birth place of Karate/Fishman Karate and Ryukyu Kingdoms heavy involvement with maritime trade just fit too perfectly for Jimbei being the helmsman. I initially didn't like the thought that if Jimbei was good at manipulating water just make him the helmsman because it seemed way to shallow. Now though when I consider some real world history and Fishman Karate being the mastery of water, why not have the best water master steering a sheep helping the navigator identity sea currents? I used to look at steering the Sunny and Fishman Karate as completely separate skills but no so much any more.

Plus there is a lot going on between Nami and Jimbei. Their past, their present, their future are pretty intermingled and could make for some great development as the years go on. Them working together to lead the Sunny in a way that only they can could give us some great moments in the future.

I hope my thoughts are cohesive.

LotusHD

Banned
It's "our" country not "my"

True.

---

With Perospero now also having a personal grudge against the Straw Hats, that makes him the 3rd active antagonist in this arc that has a personal vendetta against Luffy and co., the other two being Big Mom (wants her damn cake) and Katakuri (wants to kill Luffy). Seems like he's going to have to be knocked out at this rate.

That feeling when you realize the dub still has Two full voyages of fishman island left
tumblr_oip27mYjzj1vxuqljo1_500.gif

Swore we'd be at season 10 voyage 1 by the beginning of next year looking more like May ish

caliph95

The Cracker vs Luffy final fight kinda turned into Bleach/Naruto/DB

It's not bad but not what I thought when reading especially when it kinda feels like a different anime

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Marineford and the back half of Fishman island are really bad for it.

I don't notice it much at all when I marathon the dub though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Oh god can't imagine watching Dressrosa especially when it has more episode than most animes

I...love anime Dressrosa. It looks cool and some of the best gags are animated quite nicely. Watching it weekly would have sucked though so I watched it in three huge piles, one of which was over a year's worth of episodes.

Let's count. 117 episodes from when they land to when they depart.
11-12 episodes yup about 10voyages because you gotta count the filler after
About one voyage every 2-3 months=4-5 voyages a year=2020/2021 when dressrosa is over. I do that right?

This is all if they don't stop. But since they licensed all the way to the end of dressrosa already I assume they won't take any breaks anytime soon(plz don't make another movie oda)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
11-12 episodes yup about 10voyages because you gotta count the filler after
About one voyage every 2-3 months=4-5 voyages a year=2020/2021 when dressrosa is over. I do that right?

This is all if they don't stop. But since they licensed all the way to the end of dressrosa already I assume they won't take any breaks anytime soon(plz don't make another movie oda)

I think the most voyages ever done in a year was...7 last year.

They might get to five this year, not bad considering they started in July!

caliph95

It actually becomes really noticeable in Enies Lobby and never really cools down. There's an episode there that has a seven minute to title card sequence.
I pretty much only watched the time skip and watched the good parts in dub last year so I didn't notice

But geez and I thought DBS had padding at least it not recap of basic shit that could be covered in a minute

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I brought 7 of them damn things last year my god

January 26th
April 26th
May 31st
July 26th
September 20th
November 8th
December 13th

It covers the back half of Impel Down-All the way to the timeskip. It covers three openings of the show. 82 episodes. If they did that every year we'd be in business!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Still wish impel down arc was great in the anime such a great arc.

Some parts are so good...and it also has the worst filler in the entire series near the beginning and the final fight just drags. Still better in the anime than Marineford which I did not like at all until the dub despite being super hyped in the manga. The Sabo stuff is really good in the anime though, the best arc since Amazon Lily.

LotusHD

Banned
Man, remember Usopp? I feel like it's been years since we saw him. That shot in Dressrosa was great.

Lol, we all said the same shit about the Straw Hats we're with now. I don't miss Zoro and such nearly as much though, these Straw Hats really needed the screentime. Also Carrot is cool.

Top Bottom