• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

LotusHD

Banned
Well, it wouldn't be as genuine as you'd want it when you spoil it like that. That sort of thing, you have to not expect it to be as bullshit as it is for the full effect to kick in.

But I think I said it before. You'd literally have to pay me to read it.

I mean at that point, you would long been used to Fairy Tail's BS. But admittedly, yea, that fight, more than virtually anything else in the manga, was just on another level. Like that fight (as well as the explanation/dialogue) for how she won) perfectly captures why Fairy Tail is so damn shitty.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Fairy Tail started off good but quickly devolved into something... significantly less good.

Just read Groove Adventure Rave instead, now there's a good manga

LotusHD

Banned
Natsu literally just deus ex the final villain. Don't read it

Too late... Ugh.

Wasn't the villain suppose to be God at that point and untouchable

*shrugs

---

That's another thing I kind of appreciated about One Piece. The craziness existed from the beginning, so when you encounter stronger characters or the main cast getting stronger moves, it doesn't really feel like BS. (Still would appreciate an explanation for Diable Jambe lol) At least for the most part I think, I'm admittedly biased. At any rate, I don't think we'll see any obvious god-like characters in One Piece
I hope not
, which is really my main complaint, not so much the powers that suspend belief.

Meanwhile stuff like Naruto gets all DBZ by the end, where ya can't help but reminisce at how things used to be.

caliph95

Too late... Ugh.

*shrugs

---

That's another thing I kind of appreciated about One Piece. The craziness existed from the beginning, so when you encounter stronger characters or the main cast getting stronger moves, it doesn't really feel like BS. (Still would appreciate an explanation for Diable Jambe lol) At least for the most part I think, I'm admittedly biased. At any rate, I don't think we'll see any obvious god-like characters in One Piece
I hope not
, which is really my main complaint, not so much the powers that suspend belief.

Meanwhile stuff like Naruto gets all DBZ by the end, where ya can't help but reminisce at how things used to be.
It helps we already got an idea of the ceiling so it's not going to feel as ridiculous and the progression feels a lot more natural

LotusHD

Banned
I love how HxH breaks almost all of shonnen tropes, trully the GOAT above even OP. I hope with all my strength that Togashi finishes it.

I enjoy OP more, but HxH is the only other competition where I won't argue with someone saying they like it more, since it's obvious why they would. Also the anime was god-tier stuff.

It helps we already got an idea of the ceiling so it's not going to feel as ridiculous and the progression feels a lot more natural

There's the weapons like Pluto or Poseidon, but I don't count those. Yea, the ceiling is like Blackbeard atm, so unless the Celestial Dragons have some secret up their sleeve, or the Void Century is hiding some scary stuff, I think we're good. People like Akainu or Blackbeard can fuck up an island or so, but I think we're good. I just don't want almighty threat to surface out of nowhere. Oda would probably handle it better than his competition, but I rather he not bother...

Luffy just wants to fucking be the Pirate King lol

Here's a question: when do you see the series finishing?

My bet: 2022

Ray Down

Banned
There was an interview between Oda and Togashi where he said he had 5 more ideas for arcs.

Depending on how he feels and may drop some and try to finish it in 2 or 3.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Wano, Elbaf, Raftel, ???, ???

Syntsui

I don't see OP going further than 2021 without impacting the quality severally, four years seems enough to tie all the loose ends we have right now.

Jay RaR

I should get around to reading HxH and watching Jojo. Some mangas I've been keeping in touch for years are ending/have ended and I've dropped some of them because of nonsensical stories or slow as balls plots.

Natsu literally just deus ex the final villain. Don't read it

At this point, is that surprising anymore? Acnologia/Meteor B Dragon getting defeated by getting rammed into a hole by ship cut in half and Jelal surviving. I'll just keep eating popcorn and see how Fairy Tail concludes in the next 2 months. Wonder how Lucy will survive too.

Ray Down

Banned
Rest of Big Mom( will go on till September or even after)
Wano and Kaidou-2 years (or hell 3 with how many people will be running around)
Elbaf- 1 year (or even 2 depedning on how it goes)
Miscelanous things we don't know about and side bits like Reverie, Shanks vs. Blackbeard, extra islands, Enel/Moon, Vegapunk.
Raftel- 1 year
Final War- 3 years
Epilogue- 6 months

Here's a question: when do you see the series finishing?

My bet: 2022

Someone on reddit actually made an excel sheet about this about a year ago, analysing the number of chapters released in each year and extrapolating that trend. According to his data, the series should end around the second half of 2026, assuming that it will have a total of 1200 chapters.

Someone on reddit actually made an excel sheet about this about a year ago, analysing the number of chapters released in each year and extrapolating that trend. According to his data, the series should end around the second half of 2026, assuming that it will have a total of 1200 chapters.

This is an interesting and appreciated effort, but I wonder if Whole Cake Island's particularly quick pacing is an isolated case or the start of a new norm.

caliph95

This is an interesting and appreciated effort, but I wonder if Whole Cake Island's particularly quick pacing is an isolated case or the start of a new norm.
Considering the criticism of Dressrosa eh either way could be kneejerk reaction or to avoid that saga problems that people had

I wonder if I can get someone to summarize how the entire run of Fairy Tale actually went. Because while I heard enough about how it handles it's resolutions and depicts it's characters to know I don't want to touch it, I don't actually know what happens in it. I know there are guilds and they fight to be the top guild and that's basically it.

I still maintain Fairy Tail is great* up until the first timeskip, then it slowly but steadily falls apart, which is probably what you've heard about.

The basic jist is there are guilds which are essentially the ninja villages in naruto, who take on jobs to protect the people and towns they live in. The overarching plot is to find out where Dragons disappeared to, who are the adopted parents of several of the main character's, who use dragon magic. Eventually, it's revealed there is one evil dragon still alive who is almost single handedly responsible for killing every other member of the dragon race, as well as one human mage who is responsible for all manner of demons and dark magic that plague the world, and dealing with the two of them.

There is a tournament arc where different guilds fight each other, but that's not really the focus.

The entire last arc is entirely pointless though, being almost a carbon copy of the previous arc just to get back to practically the same ending as before. They could have transplanted whatever the ending is going to be on the end of the previous arc and nobody would have known better.

* For a shonen

LotusHD

Banned
Best thing I could say about Fairy Tail is that it's probably the best, as in it's a balanced mix of fun and danger, (popular) shounen universe to live in. Just chilling with your guilds, doing requests, got magic powers, etc. sounds fun. As long as you stay away from Fairy Tail, you're relatively good to go as far as safety is concerned.

DBZ: You die every other day, no thanks.

One Piece: The navy sucks. Pirate sucks. The system is corrupt as fuck. Also a life on the seas is not for me. Even if I managed to join Luffy and co., I'd be terrified of Luffy's craziness, even moreso than Usopp.

Bleach: I don't want invisible ghosts/spirits to harass me or worse. Being a Soul Reaper is not fun either.

HxH: The only reason you'd want to live here is to go and become a Hunter, and uhh, that test would likely get you killed, so no.

YYH: Basically the OG Bleach in a sense regarding the spirits and demons, so no thanks.

EDIT:

Honorable mention: My Hero Academia: Hmm, a world where you can attend school to become a superheroe sounds fun, this would be the 2nd best choice probably, just pray to god you don't end up being Quirkless like Deku. Villains would uhh, be a lot more threatening, but hey, you have powers to defend yourself I guess.

caliph95

TBf is pretty much the real world with the spirit stuff on the downlow you would likely be ok as long s you don't live in Japan

HxH is the worst place to live in and being a Hunter is no picnic since you are expected to die or go missing even if you are lucky enough to pass the exam. Corrupt government the mafia running rampant
unless the spiders did something about that
Hunters like Hisoka giving carte blanches as long as it's not public, wild beasts also the fact the world outside the like few continent pretty much designed to kill and wipeout humanity

I still maintain Fairy Tail is great* up until the first timeskip, then it slowly but steadily falls apart, which is probably what you've heard about.

The basic jist is there are guilds which are essentially the ninja villages in naruto, who take on jobs to protect the people and towns they live in. The overarching plot is to find out where Dragons disappeared to, who are the adopted parents of several of the main character's, who use dragon magic. Eventually, it's revealed there is one evil dragon still alive who is almost single handedly responsible for killing every other member of the dragon race, as well as one human mage who is responsible for all manner of demons and dark magic that plague the world, and dealing with the two of them.

There is a tournament arc where different guilds fight each other, but that's not really the focus.

The entire last arc is entirely pointless though, being almost a carbon copy of the previous arc just to get back to practically the same ending as before. They could have transplanted whatever the ending is going to be on the end of the previous arc and nobody would have known better.

* For a shonen
I'd say it was still really good until like halfway through the grand magic games. Then mashima just tried to cram way too much shit into that one arc and after that it just turned into him hyping enemies up way too much. And then they'd just be defeated by people they should've been able to crush. I still enjoy it though. Mainly for the characters I like

Jay RaR

Best thing I could say about Fairy Tail is that it's probably the best, as in it's a balanced mix of fun and danger, (popular) shounen universe to live in. Just chilling with your guilds, doing requests, got magic powers, etc. sounds fun. As long as you stay away from Fairy Tail, you're relatively good to go as far as safety is concerned.

One Piece: The navy sucks. Pirate sucks. The system is corrupt as fuck. Also a life on the seas is not for me. Even if I managed to join Luffy and co., I'd be terrified of Luffy's craziness, even moreso than Usopp.

Bleach: I don't want invisible ghosts/spirits to harass me or worse. Being a Soul Reaper is not fun either.

HxH: The only reason you'd want to live here is to go and become a Hunter, and uhh, that test would likely get you killed, so no.

YYH: Basically the OG Bleach in a sense regarding the spirits and demons, so no thanks.

EDIT:

Honorable mention: My Hero Academia: Hmm, a world where you can attend school to become a superheroe sounds fun, this would be the 2nd best choice probably, just pray to god you don't end up being Quirkless like Deku. Villains would uhh, be a lot more threatening, but hey, you have powers to defend yourself I guess.

For Fairy Tail, I guess I'm still reading it to see how this messy story unfolds and the happy ending. I always did like Fairy Tail's breather chapters more than the action chapters. Oh, and sometimes the ecchi and Erza.

As for the rest, I see that you don't like danger or just risking your life. That's basically what you're getting into as a character in a shonen manga.

LotusHD

Banned
For Fairy Tail, I guess I'm still reading it to see how this messy story unfolds and the happy ending. I always did like Fairy Tail's breather chapters more than the action chapters. Oh, and sometimes the ecchi and Erza.

As for the rest, I see that you don't like danger or just risking your life. That's basically what you're getting into as a character in a shonen manga.

I still read it myself; takes a few minutes, and it's close to ending, so it's whatever at this point.

I don't like unnecessary danger. If I absolutely wanted to be safe, I wouldn't pick a world with any powers to begin with lol

Just feel like MHA and Fairytail would have the least of that, while still giving me a fun setting/powers to make use of. Living a chill life as a student that works his way up to be a hero? Dope. Living a life where I chill with my pals and fill out requests that make use of my powers? Also dope. The other universes are just far too stressful for various reasons for me to bother with.

Where does Black Clover fits in it sounds like a fusion between FT and Naruto

You basically got it. You join or are drafted into a team of Knights that's pretty much a guild and take on missions from the Magic Emperor who is basically the Hokage with less political power.

Personally, I'd want to join the Toriko world. The Earth could casually get annihilated one day, but damn do those meals look good.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Whole Cake island feels a bit more like Enis Lobby after Zou's Water 7.

I think, if anything, we'll be seeing more dual island arcs like that. Had Dressrosa changed locales half-way through it likely wouldn't have felt quite so bogged down and long. Going from one island to the next would have added a needed physical movement to the plot, I think Oda just stayed in one place too long there.

EDIT:

YYH would be great so long as you lived there after the Three Kings Arc. Demons weren't really dangerous after that point, especially after Yenma's shit had been revealed.

Veelk

Banned
Whether you'd enjoy any given world depends entirely on how you live in it. Game of Thrones is pretty shitty to it's peasants, but, though not without it's own risk and issues, if you're a noble you have a pretty cushy life.

Overall, One Piece's world is the best, or atleast the one you're most likely to live happily in. Whether you're strong or weak, citizen or pirate, the characters of OP are typically enjoy their lives. Tragedies always come with a nice comic gag or two however awful. And when things are going well, everyone is joyful like there's a free happy pill clinic in town. It feels creepy and almost psychotic how blissful OP's world is, like that game We Happy Few.

The best part is though that people recover from pretty much anything. Town gets destroyed? No probs, we get that shit back up in a day. Won't even have to worry about an economic collapse or anything. What about when there are major societal changes? Well, generally speaking, entire cities are monoliths that all feel the same way about a ruler, so you don't have to worry about any internal societal conflicts, by and large.

Did you get the shit beaten out of you? Broken bones, internal bleeding? No worries, your heart is your only truly vulnerable organ. So just put on some bandaids and you'll fully recover from pretty much anything in a few hours. Days at most. What if you suffer permanent injury, like having a limb cut off? Well, that's inconvenient, but the pain lasts a few days at best and you generally don't actually experience any loss in capability as odd as it might seem! Okay, but what about death? Well, that's a possibility even with the nigh immortality you carry, but you can even radically diminish that possibility by having a distinct personality and name! And also if you're born in the era of the Straw Hats, you're life expectancy is all but assured, since deaths mostly just tend to happen in the past.

There are some frustrations though. Despite women dressing provocatively everywhere, no one seems to be actually interested in sexual relations or even romance. The World Government is laughably, cartoonishly inefficient (though that one is true to our world too). And any attempts to understand the world are fruitless, so if you're curious about things like "Why do we all speak the same language everywhere on the planet" or "why can we ignite things on fire or grow multiple heads through will alone?" or "Why do we have cultural artifacts of cultures that don't seem to actually exist in this world?" or "why does reality destabilize into a shrodinger dimension where things 'happened' yet 'did not happen' at the same time when a 'gag' occurs", you'll go a little crazy.

Veelk

Banned
What would be hell for Veelk?

Nothing but reading manga with poor characterize & sexualize women?

Talking to you guys forever.

Edit: That may have sounded a bit meaner than I intended. You guys are alright.

Actual hell is more like "Talking to people who willfully refuse to understand the point I'm trying to make forever"

Top Bottom