• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

From the "Episode of Nami" tv special:

Strawhats vs Arlong Pirates (Part 1)
The Strawhats vs the Arlong Pirates (Part 2)
Luffy vs Arlong

Blood! Amazing animation! Wet hair effects! ....boob size upgrades >.<

Also, for the Luffy vs Arlong fight they used "I will surpass you" music from the Crocodile fight in movie 8.

If only it was consistent, though I just skimmed through the first one, cant wait to actually watch the whole thing eventually. Its like such a huge improvement over my dvds, wow.

SykoTech

Has the whole thing been uploaded yet? I don't really care if it's subs or not. Watched this arc 3 times and read the manga version once too, so I think I know everything everyone has to say. I just want to watch it from the beginning.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it raw. Sweet.

I've seen this thread pop up over and over again so this show has been on my mind as something I should check out at some point. Watched the first three episodes today.

This is amazingly weird.

ffdgh

I've seen this thread pop up over and over again so this show has been on my mind as something I should check out at some point. Watched the first three episodes today.

This is amazingly weird.

keep going, you'll have to force yourself to stop watching.

This is amazingly weird.

Ive been unusually in the mood for one piece lately that Ive been reading tons of fanfics, but anyway, Ive been trying to figure out if I want to start early episodes again just to relive the experience, I wish I could go back when I was new to it, hope you enjoy it.

I think if anyone saw that part with Robin in Enies Lobby,
where she says she wants to live
, then they would become hooked on this show.

KtSlime

I think if anyone saw that part with Robin in Enies Lobby,
where she says she wants to live
, then they would become hooked on this show.

The point where I knew I was hooked was when
Nami meekly said "tasukete" to Luffy while sobbing and Luffy places his hat on her, walks off for a second and yells "atarimae da!"
. Scene is epic.

So watched the Episode of Nami the other day, and it's been a while since I've seen the early episodes, am I mistaken, or did they edit out a bunch of Nojiko's heroics? Was that pretty much all they cut out?

Dedication Through Light: Have you tried watching the Special Edition rebroadcast they are doing currently?

SykoTech

That Nami Special was great, though it was kinda weird watching the Walk to Arlong Park scene without Overtaken playing. That was the scene where I personally got hooked on One Piece, so watching it with a different track playing caught me off guard.

Still good stuff though. Loved how the "Luffy vs Lucci" music started playing at the climax of the fight.

So, any chance we could get a special like this for the Marineford arc. Rewatched it over the summer and.....well, the animation could use some help during certain parts.

That Nami Special was great, though it was kinda weird watching the Walk to Arlong Park scene without Overtaken playing. That was the scene where I personally got hooked on One Piece, so watching it with a different track playing caught me off guard.

:(

That really sucks they chose a different song.

01-07-OK-thumb.jpg

One Piece 562 Preview: Luffy Defeated?! The Hour of Hody's Revenge

One Piece 563 Preview: Shocking Truth! Hody's True Identity!

Watched more of this today.

My problem at first was that Luffy seemed so insanely powerful that there's no way that anything is going to seem like a legitimate threat to anything. Then they tied him up, put him in a cage and aimed a cannon at him. Zoro comes to help him and just goes ahead and gets stabbed.

That settles that then. Things can go rotten for them as well.

Diablos54

Well, you're still at the intro really. Luffy's far from invincible, as you'll find out if you keep watching. It would be pretty boring if he was. (FAIRY TAIL)

Wiseblade

Well, you're still at the intro really. Luffy's far from invincible, as you'll find out if you keep watching. It would be pretty boring if he was. (FAIRY TAIL)

To be fair, Luffy is pretty much invincible for all of the East Blue saga. But that's kind of the point, to serve as a contrast to the craziness of the Grand Line.

Knives seem to be a problem, and that's already enough for me to not see him as stupidly powerful anymore.

To be fair, Luffy is pretty much invincible for all of the East Blue saga. But that's kind of the point, to serve as a contrast to the craziness of the Grand Line.

Wait, they actually get to the Grand Line? I fully expected that whole business to be kind of like the Burn Notice thing where the main story is so entirely not the point and is just there to set up unrelated adventures.

Diablos54

Wait, they actually get to the Grand Line? I fully expected that whole business to be kind of like the Burn Notice thing where the main story is so entirely not the point and is just there to set up unrelated adventures.
They do get there (Quite quickly), but you're right in the sense that's it's more of a way to set up the crazy adventures, as well as to give a sense of progress. In a way, the show really begins once they enter the Grand Line. East Blue is kinda like a long (But still awesome) intro.

upandaway

Luffy isn't "all-powerful" (different from invincible) at all during East Blue though, I thought that was the guy's point.

But yeah. I'm surprised by how little Ventilaator knows about OP, that's really lucky. I'm scared it might get ruined if he stays here too long.

Luffy isn't "all-powerful" (different from invincible) at all during East Blue though, I thought that was the guy's point.

But yeah. I'm surprised by how little Ventilaator knows about OP, that's really lucky. I'm scared it might get ruined if he stays here too long.

I figured I'm safe from spoilers because I'm like 600 episodes behind.

upandaway

I figured I'm safe from spoilers because I'm like 600 episodes behind.
There's always those 3-word sentences that can register in a brain even 600 episodes early (snake kills bumblebee). I'd say only read posts replying to you or in the near quote family (whoa what). If you wanna discuss stuff you can just post about what you watched like now, that's what everyone who catch up do.

zlatko

Banned
So I'm open to knowing the spoiler then. Who is Hordy really?

Is it that
He's actually half human and half Fishman? He resents his/mom dad that's human or something?

Diablos54

Is it that
He's actually half human and half Fishman? He resents his/mom dad that's human or something?
If I remember right
he's just one crazy ass fishman. Nothing special, just crazy.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Is it that

He's just insane. Raised in a highly racist environment to believe that all humans are evil, and anyone that sympathizes with them should be killed as well. I've seen fans call this "lame", but I believe it works given what was set up about Fishman Island.

This month I'll resume watching One Piece because of the PS3 game, I stopped at some point because the show was so epic and I didnot want to wait a week for a new episode.

So, when will they reach New World in anime at the rate the show's progressing?

upandaway

manga spoilers
He's just insane. Raised in a highly racist environment to believe that all humans are evil, and anyone that sympathizes with them should be killed as well. I've seen fans call this "lame", but I believe it works given what was set up about Fishman Island.
Also to note
that's exactly what Otohime worked against, not letting the children of that period absorb the racism. The entire thing with Hody is how he's one of the children Otohime tried to influence, and he's the one who killed her

This wouldn't work if Hody had a personal history with humans

Wiseblade

manga spoilers

Also to note
that's exactly what Otohime worked against, not letting the children of that period absorb the racism. The entire thing with Hody is how he's one of the children Otohime tried to influence, and he's the one who killed her

This wouldn't work if Hody had a personal history with humans

The whole point is that he didn't. The story up until that point vaguely suggested that he'd had some personal reason to hate humans (Although he wasn't a slave) But turns out to be exactly what otohime campained against: a child poisoned by the hate of others. It's supposed remove the "it's not really his fault, he was probably just abused by Humans and became bitter" mentality, so nobody feels bad when Hody ends prematurely senile and imprisoned.

EDIT: Quoting the wrong post FTW!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
edit: nevermind, that's what I get for posting without reading the last couple of pages of the thread

+1 for being really pissed at Overtaken being replaced in the new Walk to Arlong Park.

Korosenai

I just started watching this a couple of weeks ago and i'm now on episode 32. This show is incredible. Can't believe it took me this long to start watching.

Figured i'd do an update from this original post.

I am now on episode 319, and this show is absolutely amazing!

That is all.

Stupid show. It totally feels like it has a checklist of things I don't like or will start disliking eventually and it's fixing them one by one. Who gave it that list.

Diablos54

Well that was dumb.
I was hoping Hordy was a forgotten prince or something.
I dunno, I think it works well considering what we know about FI. Hordy and The New Fishmen Pirates are the type of things that Queen Otohime was working so hard to stop happening. It all ties up well thematically IMO.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I dunno, I think it works well considering what we know about FI. Hordy and The New Fishmen Pirates are the type of things that Queen Otohime was working so hard to stop happening. It all ties up well thematically IMO.

Exactly. If he was a "lost prince" then that would fucking stupid. It wouldn't make sense considering everything that was built up before it.

I'll never get the hate for that revelation.

yami4ct

After many, many attempts to watch the show with it not real sticking with me, I've finally gotten to love it. It's just so much fun. I'm part way through Water 7 at this point and am surprised how well it's handling the drama as well. The big reveal about
CP9
kind of blew my mind. Also, god dang is Sanji awesome. The fact that the same VA as Kotetsu from Tiger & Bunny voices him just makes him so much better. Once I start watching I tend to watch like 4 episodes in a row. The momentum is so good, I just can't stop. So glad I gave this show another chance.

Top Bottom