• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Oh wow. How could they have fucked up that bad? And I bet it would have got even worse the further they got.

The Paramount War would have been a disaster. Hell, Enies Lobby too.

People tend to forget that it wasn't just edits to story and standards. Character was thrown right out the window. All of Usopp's development was taken out (a scene where he pleads to the Kuro pirates to not attack the village, his fight with Chew was shortened to 5 minutes or so, the removal of Little Garden meant his goal of Elbaf was gone too). Zoro did not act like Zoro at all, doing things like making chicken noises.

And yet, there are fans. Legitimate fans, not ones that see it as "So Bad It's Good". Go to any One Piece video on Funimation's YouTube channel, you'll see people actively defend the 4Kids dub, claiming "it has more emotion". No. No it didn't. Everyone just screamed a lot, and then there's Vivi who had no emotion at all.

.....woah

i wonder what they would have thought of if....or should i say when they skipped robins backstory. BTW where exactly did 4kids one piece stop at?

It stopped right before Jaya & Skypeia, on the 13 episode filler that followed Alabasta (which was reduced to 6 episodes).
However there's bits and pieces that show what 4Kids would have done had they continued. The game "Pirates Carnival" has voices for Bellamy, Satori, Wyper, and Eneru. For whatever reason, Wyper was changed to "Wyler" and all references to "God and Priests" were changed to "King and Knights". When the Funimation dub was on TV, they were forced to use the 4Kids changes for consistency so you can see some of them there.

789shadow

Banned
I would love to see how they would have tried to deal with Impel Down, which contains murder, more murder, and people being BOILED IN BLOOD.

Also, it's almost like Oda, at every chance he got, tried to screw the 4Kids dub by making things they skipped super important.

Aguirre

I would love to see how they would have tried to deal with Impel Down, which contains murder, more murder, and people being BOILED IN BLOOD.

Also, it's almost like Oda, at every chance he got, tried to screw the 4Kids dub by making things they skipped super important.

dont forget sadism from the aptly named sadi-chan. :)

Pimpwerx

Wow! Why did 4Kids even make all those changes? Wasn't the manga far enough along that it was evident they needed to include some of that stuff? Little Garden was actually a fun little arc. It gave guys like Usopp and Zoro great character. I loved Zoro trying to but his legs off to escape 3's candle carousel. PEACE.

I thougth 4kids expressed guilt over it and said it was a bad business decision. At least it did introduce some people to One Piece and at least numerous gave/give funimations a shot.

It complete stunted One Piece's ability to grow in popularity in North America. I know I'm one of many who saw bits of the 4kids dub, thought "god this is awful" and dismissed One Piece for years.

KtSlime

Some of these are just retarded. Guns are bad, but blue guns are fine!? Rice balls are bad, but cookies are good? ROMAN NUMERALS ARE EVIL!? Fuck you 4Kids, FUCK YOU NOW AND FOREVER!!! I will never forgive you for ruining OP's chance to become the next DBZ outside of Japan.

Yeah, and this doesn't even take in account the translation, which is pretty awful. 4Kids is absolutely terrible.

BatDan

I think anything to do with that was changed to Ballerinas.

In Alabasta at least, by Impel Down it would have been much MUCH harder as Toei gave up trying to censor them.
Bon Clay still got hit pretty bad by 4Kids too. He was given a voice that sounds like Little Richard and his Ballet Kenpo was translated as "Crazy Karate". I imagine his fight with Sanji was one of the most annoying, Brooklyn Stuffy Nose vs. Overly-loud Little Richard Impression.

Yeah, and this doesn't even take in account the translation, which is pretty awful. 4Kids is absolutely terrible.

This too. One notable instance is Arlong and his crew being called "Mermen" instead of Fishmen. While Merfolk were eventually introduced (Kokoro, followed by Camie later on), they were nowhere near this arc. Everyone shown was a Fishman (not counting Mohmoo). They also gave them an echo effect to their voices and gave them a childish insult for humans, "PUmans", as in "Pee-yew you stink". ... Yeah.

Also, what was the point of changing Ace to "Trace"?

Steroyd

Some of these are just retarded. Guns are bad, but blue guns are fine!? Rice balls are bad, but cookies are good? ROMAN NUMERALS ARE EVIL!? Fuck you 4Kids, FUCK YOU NOW AND FOREVER!!! I will never forgive you for ruining OP's chance to become the next DBZ outside of Japan.

Somewhat similar with me, although I never saw enough of it to get how much 4kids fucked up One Piece back in the day, still took me years to go and watch the Japaneese sub and I honestly wasn't expecting anything out of it, just curiosity of the difference between the english and japaneese versions like I did DBZ.

ffdgh

Just got to the Drum Island Arc. Love Tony Tony Chopper. This show just keeps getting better and better.

Sanji's voice literally made my ears bleed.

admittingly....it was a horrible fit.

Now that i think about it tho, wouldn't the super soakers be more effective against luffy than regular guns since they could use salt water? XD

BatDan

I think Oda confirmed that just getting wet won't weaken them. They have to be submerged in some way. Or wearing Sea Stone cuffs.

BatDan

New One Piece 101 from FUNimation. Most Outrageous Characters (it's a list!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8cudEJDyOA

Dorry and Broggy
Laboon
Montblanc Cricket
Gan Fall
Pell
Wyper
Bon Clay

Errr... I really wouldn't consider most of those characters "outrageous".

B-Dex

OK someone please help me pick up where I left off.

I'm 100% sure
I saw Going Merry's funeral and am finished with enies lobby
Should I pick up at the start of the post enies lobby arc? I'm thinking I made it to thriller bark but not quite sure.

BatDan

OK someone please help me pick up where I left off.

I'm 100% sure
I saw Going Merry's funeral and am finished with enies lobby
Should I pick up at the start of the post enies lobby arc? I'm thinking I made it to thriller bark but not quite sure.

I'd say yes. Start at Post-Enies Lobby because there are a lot of important things. If you remember what's in it, start on Thriller Bark.

B-Dex

Figures funi is missing that arc lol

:( But they have the arcs after it all ready and waiting for me...

Apparently they just got the rights to season 5.. for summer 2013.... welp... guess I gotta wait.

upandaway

Figures funi is missing that arc lol

:( But they have the arcs after it all ready and waiting for me...

Apparently they just got the rights to season 5.. for summer 2013.... welp... guess I gotta wait.
Well it's only a couple of episodes, you could just read the equivalent of the manga and carry on in the anime from the next arc. It's mostly dialogue anyway so no animation won't really hurt your experience.

Seems a bit of a waste to wait all that just for a few episodes.

B-Dex

Well it's only a couple of episodes, you could just read the equivalent of the manga and carry on in the anime from the next arc. It's mostly dialogue anyway so no animation won't really hurt your experience.

Seems a bit of a waste to wait all that just for a few episodes.

They have a gap of about 100 episodes missing. Otherwise I could just read the manga :p

Caja 117

Nice a One piece thread, have been a Fan of One Piece for what now, maybe 12 Years, and so far the Mangaka has always delivered with his writing. I haven't started Reading the current arc, but Seen those Gif, I think Ill watch the previous arc animated instead!

BTW, what are the rules regarding the spoilers?

SykoTech

Nice a One piece thread, have been a Fan of One Piece for what now, maybe 12 Years, and so far the Mangaka has always delivered with his writing. I haven't started Reading the current arc, but Seen those Gif, I think Ill watch the previous arc animated instead!

BTW, what are the rules regarding the spoilers?

According to the OP, manga spoilers aren't allowed.

I think everything else is fair game though.

Maron

So FUNi's at around the end of Season 4 now apparently.

Az8xw7wCUAAKvnZ.jpg

Pictured is Sonny Strait (VA of Usopp) recording Sogeking. Glad they don't have to worry about taking a break anytime soon and can just jump into Enies Lobby right after.

It would be nice, even if sometimes the animation isnt really anything to write home about, but just the option. (They could even do a blu ray dvd combo like they do Fairy Tail, could have though they had HD rights)

ffdgh

So FUNi's at around the end of Season 4 now apparently.

Az8xw7wCUAAKvnZ.jpg

Pictured is Sonny Strait (VA of Usopp) recording Sogeking. Glad they don't have to worry about taking a break anytime soon and can just jump into Enies Lobby right after.

cool do they show 1 ep a week or 5/7 a week? If the former then yeah it'll take years to catch up XD.
i wonder will they skip those stupid flashbacks for each character when they're trying to saving robin

cool do they show 1 ep a week or 5/7 a week? If the former then yeah it'll take years to catch up XD.
i wonder will they skip those stupid flashbacks for each character when they're trying to saving robin

I mean they wouldn't have to record any new dialogue for those episodes lol outside of the chopper-man and Samurai-Luffy parts which I dunno how Funi is handling the specials

Maron

Really wish we could get blu ray releases since the show has been in HD for YEARS and YEARS now.

It's been almost a decade of HD episodes and Toei has still announced no plans of doing a BD release in Japan (other than the movies), which is just plain absurd...

The footage we do have for the FUNimation DVDs looks incredible though. Very obvious FUNi has HD masters.

Um, neither. One Piece is not on TV. Subbed episodes for Season 4 started going up on OnePieceOfficial a few weeks ago (two episodes every week) but if you want the dub that's on the DVD.

It would be nice, even if sometimes the animation isnt really anything to write home about, but just the option. (They could even do a blu ray dvd combo like they do Fairy Tail, could have though they had HD rights)

If FUNi did snag BD rights down the line (years from now following Toei's own BD releases) I think a combo pack would just piss off the people who bought the DVD in the hopes that they could support the series further but really wanted a BD. They'd be forced to buy the DVD version again.

Finally got the Season 4 v 1 and I must say (didnt see the fifty or so episodes before it since the collections dont come until next week and the month after?) but Bon Voyage is just plain TERRIBLE.

Huh. You think so? I found the Japanese version rather forced, I thought the dub was a vast improvement.

Cwarrior

One piece 558

Episode looked really nice with animation from Yoshikazu TOMITA.

tumblr_m8b0a1e5Dr1qzk4cro1_500.gif

tumblr_m8b42kP1AI1qczibyo1_500.gif

I didn't expect luffy to lay the smackdown on hody jones so badly.

tumblr_m7xx3oK5t41qczibyo1_500.gif

Vander decken is one crazy four legged cat fish mofo.

Wiseblade

One piece 558

Episode looked really nice with animation from Yoshikazu TOMITA.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8b0a1e5Dr1qzk4cro1_500.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8b42kP1AI1qczibyo1_500.gif[IMG]

I didn't expect luffy to lay the smackdown on hody jones so badly.

[IMG]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7xx3oK5t41qczibyo1_500.gif[IMG]

Vander decken is one crazy four legged cat fish mofo.[/QUOTE]

What is it going to take for tumblr GIFs to die out completely?

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ib5YGN7VtVBWp.gif

i8hPjQwzze1GZ.gif

BatDan

I remember people complaining that Season 6+ is going to suck for Funimation since that's when they started the 1:1 pacing. They seem to have forgotten that they release DVDs in 12-13 episode sets. That's three months of weekly shows, and if consistent, only a two to three month wait until the next set.

So it won't be as bad. Plus, skipping over the recaps.

ffdgh

I remember people complaining that Season 6+ is going to suck for Funimation since that's when they started the 1:1 pacing. They seem to have forgotten that they release DVDs in 12-13 episode sets. That's three months of weekly shows, and if consistent, only a two to three month wait until the next set.

So it won't be as bad. Plus, skipping over the recaps.

oh they're skipping the recaps? good lol. must have been torture when they first aired.

and on the subject of todyas episode, i approve of any and all violence towards decken.

So I just got to Marineford and damn have things gotten intense. I still miss
The other 8 straw hats, they add so much to the story not having them just feels weird
but the action is great. Also maybe I'm just easy to please but I've never really had any issues with any of the art/animation so far while watching the series. The only issue I have is with Nami's boobs going from average boobs to bazooka boobs.

Wiseblade

The other 8 straw hats, they add so much to the story not having them just feels weird
but the action is great. Also maybe I'm just easy to please but I've never really had any issues with any of the art/animation so far while watching the series. The only issue I have is with Nami's boobs going from average boobs to bazooka boobs.

Which all pales in comparison to Movie 7. it was almost as if they were alive...

Cwarrior

If you thinks things are bad now wait until you see her time skip out fit *face palm*, seriously I hate her fishmen island outfit, she's 10,000 meters under the sea and she's still dressed like a whore.

She did cover herself up by putting a on a nice white sweater only to take it off half an episode later :(

What is it going to take for tumblr GIFs to die out completely?

http://i.minus.com/ib5YGN7VtVBWp.gif[/IMG

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/i8hPjQwzze1GZ.gif[/IMG[/QUOTE]

I dislike tumbler gifs myself, can't get vdubmod to work so that's what am reduced to using.

Top Bottom