• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

tumblr_m6gz6hWjyf1rzm4pwo1_500.gif

I wish the Haki looked a bit better, just the little shockwave (weak) and then the fallout just really looked less impressive that I had imagined for the scene.

Luffy was stunning though regardless, so many of the 100K wiped out.

It seemed way better in the past
tumblr_m5x0ru50rm1rurr9oo1_250.gif

They need to stop with the terrible pacing and flashbacks. Ok we fucking get it already, they lost and trained hard and holy shit with the animation. It's like they want ppl to stop watching the anime and just read the manga.

They need to stop with the terrible pacing and flashbacks. Ok we fucking get it already, they lost and trained hard and holy shit with the animation. It's like they want ppl to stop watching the anime and just read the manga.

They've been doing it this way for over 250 episodes.

Don't expect they'll change anytime soon, you'll have to wait for one piece kai or whatever.

I'm getting to that point actually. The last episode was one of the worst One Piece episodes I've ever seen in terms of quality.

Uchip

Banned
if youre going to read the manga, at least watch the better movies
strong world was more visually impressive than anything else

Is the anime any good ?
I mean, compared to the manga.

It was pretty good for about 250-260 episodes(though even there problems weren't too uncommon, like the excrutiating foxy filler - but arlong park for example was done to perfection). Then the director changed and it all seemed to go downhill. Filler got worse and moved from primarily between arcs to primarily within arcs, and basic things that happen in the manga tend to get drawn out way too much.

For every bright spot (saobondy), theres a multitude of black marks(impel down, thriller bark, large quantities of the war).

Plus after the coby/helmeppo one, they stopped animating cover stories, which was a particularly silly move.

Movie 2 is ok, 4, 9 & 10 are great, 6 is fantastic.

Maron

Also want to note that Season 4 subs are now available of the first two episodes. 206 is Farewell, Marine Fortress! The Last Battle for Escape!, and 207 is Great Adventure on Long Ring Long Land!

Diablos54

That was hands down one of the best episodes I've seen in at least the last two years. Great animation and direction. Wow.
I wouldn't go that far, but it was a bloody good episode. It helps that they had a lot of things happening off screen during the chapter which helped with the pacing a lot. The next few weeks are going to be really good!

Who the fuck directs these episodes. Today's was awesome with good animation, last week's episode was shitty with poor animation and the episode before that, was awesome with good animation. Wtf is going on here.

Raxus

Who the fuck directs these episodes. Today's was awesome with good animation, last week's episode was shitty with poor animation and the episode before that, was awesome with good animation. Wtf is going on here.

Should have seen the Marine Ford arc. They had good and poor animation in the same episode at times. If it is a big scene in the manga (
which we are building up to
) then you can expect the animation quality to go up.

So I only recently got into One Piece, currently just finished the Alabasta arc and really am enjoy what I've seen so far. I'm watching the anime for anyone who's curious though I'll probably start reading the manga as well.

So I only recently got into One Piece, currently just finished the Alabasta arc and really am enjoy what I've seen so far. I'm watching the anime for anyone who's curious though I'll probably start reading the manga as well.

I think it's better to just watch the anime from the beginning. the manga doesn't do it as well.

Entropia

No One Remembers

Yeah, OP has pretty inconsistent animation. But like Raxus said though, generally if the episode is going to have a big scene the animation tends to be better.

Gintamen

robin is so dirty.
Yes, her feet got dirty stomping the shit out of those fishmen. I think most children have seen bare woman legs once in their life already, like at a pool.

I think it's better to just watch the anime from the beginning. the manga doesn't do it as well.
Manga > Anime at any given moment, excluding colorful FI arc beginning and a certain SA scene.
Also faster, funnier, canon. Great development of art style without looking like low on budged every second week.

Yes, her feet got dirty stomping the shit out of those fishmen. I think most children have seen bare woman legs once in their life already, like at a pool.

Manga > Anime at any given moment, excluding colorful FI arc beginning and a certain SA scene.
Also faster, funnier, canon. Great development of art style without looking like low on budged every second week.

I'm also planning to eventually own all the volumes of manga (lord help me) so I'll read them as I purchase them lol

Wait that was actually epic. Zoro flashback was nice to see his normal face, I still dont like how he has just one open eye now, but at least his chest scar is less huge than Luffys. Regardless, that attack was cool, cutting through the steel shells like they were nothing. And Sanji, that Diablo Jambe was stunning, now these are the attacks that all the straw hats ought to use.

Nami, Chopper, Brook, Usopp, and Franky would all be so much better if they had way better skills than they currently used. Theirs looked so weak, tame, and just not good compared with Luffy's, Zoro's, and even Sanjis. At this rate, those five will no doubt be killed at some point in time if they dont step it up, though I cant say that I would miss them at all.

Gintamen

Theirs looked so weak, tame, and just not good compared with Luffy's, Zoro's, and even Sanjis.

At this rate, those five will no doubt be killed at some point in time if they dont step it up, though I cant say that I would miss them at all.
Wait for it.

What are you talking about? Reading OP only for the action is missing the point of the manga.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Wait for it.

What are you talking about? Reading OP only for the action is missing the point of the manga.

It's DTL, ignore him.

In DVD news, people that pre-ordered Season 4 Volume 1 from Rightstuf are getting it shipped to them. One person already has it.

However, there is some bad news. The opening, Map of the Heart, isn't dubbed, though it might be by Episode 231 (likely rights issues). The worst news is that the 14th ending, Mirai Kokai, isn't there at all. Instead it's the 15th ending, Eternal Pose. Once again, it's likely rights issues.

Hopefully by Collection 9, all of this gets fixed.
https://twitter.com/Soulful_Chris/status/226026406776299520 A disclaimer on the DVD explaining it.

It's DTL, ignore him.

In DVD news, people that pre-ordered Season 4 Volume 1 from Rightstuf are getting it shipped to them. One person already has it.

However, there is some bad news. The opening, Map of the Heart, isn't dubbed, though it might be by Episode 231 (likely rights issues). The worst news is that the 14th ending, Mirai Kokai, isn't there at all. Instead it's the 15th ending, Eternal Pose. Once again, it's likely rights issues.

Hopefully by Collection 9, all of this gets fixed.
https://twitter.com/Soulful_Chris/status/226026406776299520 A disclaimer on the DVD explaining it.

That doesnt give me hope for their Toriko releases...which for a whole half season or so didnt even have the actual ending theme. Kind of shocked they ran into it with One Piece, though both are Toei.

Gintamen

I don't know what others are talking about. The anime is good. The anime is almost identical to the manga. The filler isn't bad either. OP filler >> Naruto filler for sure. PEACE.
The fillers have fucked up some expectations about the characters, like the Brook, Zorro, Usopp scenes when they were captured in the Ryuugu palace or Zorros fight with Hody, which only took up to panels in the manga, spoiling attacks and making look weaker than he is. The one episode, one chapter rule will be horrible in a couple of episodes.

And who cares about Naruto fillers? You can just skip them entirely. When I talk about OP filler I mean the filler scenes with stills from every character available.

tumblr_m7ihuqvTJF1rs544yo1_500.png

Finally caught up. It was a good episode for getting Franky and Brook into action. Actually I was pretty impressed with Brook's move as that entire part, though I cant remember if it was even in the manga, was really fun and sounded good.

The best part was definitely a mix between Zoro and Sanji's competing, as well as Luffy and Surume. That was really well done and so much smiles I had when he started laughing and Surume was all happy and such. Luffys real good.

Wiseblade

Don't do this. It's as bad as the PC vs Console stuff in gaming.

Comic Master Race

You misunderstand. I'm not saying anything silly like "manga is inherently superior to anime", Just that the One Piece anime is inferior to the One Piece manga. Stretching out a chapter read in 5 minutes into a 20 episode does not make for good television.

Gradivus

You misunderstand. I'm saying anything silly like "manga is inherently superior to anime", Just that the One Piece anime is inferior to the One Piece manga. Stretching out a chapter read in 5 minutes into a 20 episode does not make for good television.

True too that, I just bought majority of the manga instead of watching all 500+ episodes.

You misunderstand. I'm not saying anything silly like "manga is inherently superior to anime", Just that the One Piece anime is inferior to the One Piece manga. Stretching out a chapter read in 5 minutes into a 20 episode does not make for good television.

THIS
I used to love the anime but i hardly watching it anymore.
With the CP9 arc you got 5 mins recaps and then it got worst with 1 chapter per ep .
Now i just watch certain parts that i think going to look good in anime format .

Cwarrior

One piece Film Z

Looks like Admiral akoji is going to appear in the new movie

The design are look really great for all of them except robins(it's like robin switched roles with nami)

Ussop showing us what real mustache looks like +manly beard
Nami looks like she came out of Advance wars, which is a great thing, it's the best and most modest outfit I seen her wear in a long time thank god.

Trailer

Personally my hype for the movie is at 0% reason being
1.It's an anime movie(we all know how weak those are to there tv counterpart)
2. All the other one piece movies lacked the qualities that separated one piece from other shounen and why I like the serise so much (they feel like fake piece).

But am looking forward to seeing some straw hat crew shenanigans.

Cwarrior

For those of you that don't know

New Nami 2 hours TV Special called Episode of Nami: Kōkaishi no Namida to Nakama no Kizuna on air 25th August

What that means is there a 2hour tv special reanimated alrong park into a movie format in hd is airing on August 25th

One Piece Anime's 2-Hour Nami Special to Air in August
Episode of Nami: Kōkaishi no Namida to Nakama no Kizuna to have all-new animation

Toei Animation announced on Monday that an all-new television anime special, One Piece Episode of Nami: Kōkaishi no Namida to Nakama no Kizuna (One Piece Episode of Nami: Tears of a Navigator and the Bonds of Friends), will air on Saturday, August 25 at 9:00 p.m. (The One Piece television anime series normally airs on Sunday mornings.)

The story segment about Nami's home village, which figures heavily in the One Piece television anime's ongoing Fishman Island arc, is recreated with all-new animation. Nami steals the Merry Go (Going Merry) pirate ship from Monkey D. Luffy and the rest of her shipmates and seemingly abandons them. Luffy and the others give chase and eventually track Nami to Cocoyasi Village (Coco Village).

Hirohiko Uesaka, the head writer of the television anime, is credited with the special's script, while the television anime's animation director Yukiko Nakatani designed the characters on the special.

I can't tell the difference looks like one piece to me.

Anth0ny

For those of you that don't know

New Nami 2 hours TV Special called Episode of Nami: Kōkaishi no Namida to Nakama no Kizuna on air 25th August

What that means is there a 2hour tv special reanimated alrong park into a movie format in hd is airing on August 25th

Cool. I hope they do an "Episode of Ace" one day. The entire Marineford War arc would make a great 2 hour feature.

SykoTech

So after marathoning the anime last year and becoming addicted to One Piece, I'm going through the whole series over again but this time with the manga. It's been fun seeing all of the cover arts and manga/anime differences, but I'm just now discovering that there are a bunch of mini-stories that the anime completely skipped over.

....what the hell? They did the mini-arcs with Buggy and Coby/Hellmepo, but apparently just called it quits after that. Why? Some of this stuff is pretty significant too. I had no idea how Hatchi escaped or how Jango ended up with the marines for instance. Why would they waste time making filler episodes but not animating all this canon material sitting in front of them?

But whatever, I'm just glad I found it. One of the things I love the most about One Piece is how big and detailed the world, so it's really enjoyable seeing what all of the other characters have been doing. Just finished the Baroque Works one, and it was awesome. And it cleared up why some of the other officiers didn't appear during the Impel Down arc.

Top Bottom