• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Maron

FUNimation just announced that Season 5 and Strong World are coming to North America!

And just to clarify, Season 5 is 264-336 (a filler Chopperman episode, and also last episode before Thriller Bark).

I knew FUNi was interested in SW but i never thought Toei would let them get it anytime soon, especially not before the other films.

Finally can see Strong World, hopefully it comes this year...

You'd have to be crazy to expect a release of that before Season 5.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
And just to clarify, Season 5 is 264-336 (a filler Chopperman episode, and also last episode before Thriller Bark).

I knew FUNi was interested in SW but i never thought Toei would let them get it anytime soon, especially not before the other films.

You'd have to be crazy to expect a release of that before Season 5.

It doesn't even really make sense to release Strong World after Season 5. Season 5 ends right before Brook's introduction to the series.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Awesome. Season 4 hasn't even been officially released (only in the hands of Rightstuf pre-orders) and not only are we getting Season 5, but we're getting Strong World too. Thank you based Funimation.

So what movies should be next? Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island is a must, along with Dead End Adventure and Episode of Chopper. Maybe they can sell Movie 7 on the fanservice alone.

On another note, YouTube comments continue to show why they're among the worst. All of Funimation's One Piece 101 videos are filled with morons going "this sucks, 4Kids was better" or "4Kids had more emotion" or "Are you still dubbing this? Me too stupid to use brain thingy".

It astounds me there are fans of the 4Kids dub. Never mind the edits and censorship, there's massive amounts of character derailment, complete misdirection, and all the story removals done.

Awesome. Season 4 hasn't even been officially released (only in the hands of Rightstuf pre-orders) and not only are we getting Season 5, but we're getting Strong World too. Thank you based Funimation.

So what movies should be next? Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island is a must, along with Dead End Adventure and Episode of Chopper. Maybe they can sell Movie 7 on the fanservice alone.

On another note, YouTube comments continue to show why they're among the worst. All of Funimation's One Piece 101 videos are filled with morons going "this sucks, 4Kids was better" or "4Kids had more emotion" or "Are you still dubbing this? Me too stupid to use brain thingy".

It astounds me there are fans of the 4Kids dub. Never mind the edits and censorship, there's massive amounts of character derailment, complete misdirection, and all the story removals done.

Some people may find the 4kids VA better fitting to the characters then the Funimation VA. I know personally I'm not a big fan of Luffy's voice in the Funi dub.

Korosenai

I just started watching this a couple of weeks ago and i'm now on episode 32. This show is incredible. Can't believe it took me this long to start watching.

I cant wait to get deeper in the series.

I got serious nerd chills when Luffy says he will help Nami fight Arlong. Then he walks off with Zoro, Usopp, and Sanji waiting for him. So awesome.

Wait til you get to Water 7/Enies Lobby (arcs I just finished) there are scenes there that top even that one, particularly in Enies Lobby.

Verelios

Wait til you get to Water 7/Enies Lobby (arcs I just finished) there are scenes there that top even that one, particularly in Enies Lobby.

Seriously. That was almost the peak of animation quality for the past year or so of One piece (at that time), it was almost unbelievable.

So great.

tumblr_m7y2rnYdUh1qczibyo1_500.gif

The arc is finally hitting its stride again. Mecha transformation was amazing even if the execution of it was poor. But Zoro and Sanji had the real action and even Luffy there was amazing. Fantastic final five or so minutes.

Noah is way closer than I imagined.

SykoTech

So are all the characters going to turn iron black when using Haki now, or just Luffy? I'm guessing just Luffy...

I just started watching this a couple of weeks ago and i'm now on episode 32. This show is incredible. Can't believe it took me this long to start watching.

Heh. Exactly how I was about a year ago. The Walk to Arlong Park and whole arc got me hooked and things just got better from there. My only regret was not starting sooner. Wish I could forget everything about One Piece and start all over again.

Enjoy it man. And do your best to remain spoiler free.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Its definitely supposed to be Haki, since he mentions as such when using it, but its interesting Luffy gets a visual upgrade along with it, so yeah, it does make me think its playing around with his devil fruit and vulcanisation as well.

What a segment of ass-beating that was in the latest episode. Hordy's krillown'd into a cliff moment tally is at 3 now.

BatDan

lame. you're missing out on great music, voices, and actual backgrounds.

I think you're confusing One Piece backgrounds with Bleach.

So, what channel is most likely to get One Piece back on TV? Adult Swim is the best candidate, but their Toonami budget is slim and One Piece is far too expensive. Disney XD probably doesn't want another anime after seeing how violent Naruto Shippuden got (that's why they cancelled it). Nicktoons could work, but it probably won't happen.

789shadow

Banned
One Piece is never getting back on TV in the US. No channel would want to deal with figuring out where in the story to start airing it.

I think you're confusing One Piece backgrounds with Bleach.

So, what channel is most likely to get One Piece back on TV? Adult Swim is the best candidate, but their Toonami budget is slim and One Piece is far too expensive. Disney XD probably doesn't want another anime after seeing how violent Naruto Shippuden got (that's why they cancelled it). Nicktoons could work, but it probably won't happen.

Funimation might as well go for Fairy Tail instead of One Piece. One Piece is too far ahead in episodes and such that it seems kind of pointless to put it on tv instead of their other newer acquisitions. One Piece would be better if they could get it to play on some channel where they could do more than one episode a week as well...

BatDan

One Piece is never getting back on TV in the US. No channel would want to deal with figuring out where in the story to start airing it.

*sighs* You're probably right. Oda is far too invested in continuity that it's nigh-impossible to pick a starting point outside of "the very beginning". The timeskip is probably the worst place to start as Fishman Island deals with events that happened early in the series.

It's not like Dragon Ball where the events play very little factor into DBZ. Though showing Dragon Ball probably would have made the deaths in the Saiyan Saga a touch more emotional, and that's probably how it was for Japanese audiences.

*sighs* You're probably right. Oda is far too invested in continuity that it's nigh-impossible to pick a starting point outside of "the very beginning". The timeskip is probably the worst place to start as Fishman Island deals with events that happened early in the series.

It's not like Dragon Ball where the events play very little factor into DBZ. Though showing Dragon Ball probably would have made the deaths in the Saiyan Saga a touch more emotional, and that's probably how it was for Japanese audiences.

Yamchashereyamchasdead.gif

They'd have to do "new" episodes 3-5 days a week for One Piece anime to ever get to a respectable area on NA television. 4Kids really killed One Piece's chance for mass popularity the way DBZ was.

massoluk

Banned
As a big One Piece fan, I seriously don't understand what the hell is going on in the latest Manga arc at all. Seriously, shit got too convoluted for its own good in this arc.

Diablos54

As a big One Piece fan, I seriously don't understand what the hell is going on in the latest Manga arc at all. Seriously, shit got too convoluted for its own good in this arc.
Really? It all seems pretty straightforward to me.

And about OP in the U.S, why don't they just air one ep a day until they catch up? It'll still be over a year until they even get close, and by then they could just slow the pace down to like 2 eps a week or something. Fuck you 4Kids, fuck you...

Really? It all seems pretty straightforward to me.

And about OP in the U.S, why don't they just air one ep a day until they catch up? It'll still be over a year until they even get close, and by then they could just slow the pace down to like 2 eps a week or something. Fuck you 4Kids, fuck you...

That seems like a large commitment, thats like 2 years to catch up to wherever were at now (assuming funimation has no more difficulties licensing more seasons).

Wiseblade

that reminds me, how bad did 4kids screw up aside from the super soakers?

They actually royally screwed themselves over three times in terms of the main story.

1) 4Kids skipped the Laboon story completely. As in, after coming down Reverse Mountain and getting eaten by a giant whale, They nearly ran into a giant iceberg and Luffy just punched it away. End of story. Which meant they had to cobble together a different reason why name had a log pose. But the bigger issue is that they would have been screwed If they made it far enough to introduce Brook.

2) 4Kids also skipped the Little Garden arc too. Which meant that:

• They had to cobble together a new reason why Nami was sick.
  • They had to introduce Mr. 3 and instantly explain why Crododile was angry with him in the Alabasta Arc.
  • If they had made it that far, They would have been screwed when it came to Oimo and Kaashi's moment with Usopp at Enies Lobby.

Diablos54

They actually royally screwed themselves over three times in terms of the main story.

1) 4Kids skipped the Laboon story completely. As in, after coming down Reverse Mountain and getting eaten by a giant whale, They nearly ran into a giant iceberg and Luffy just punched it away. End of story. Which meant they had to cobble together a different reason why name had a log pose. But the bigger issue is that they would have been screwed If they made it far enough to introduce Brook.

• They had to introduce Mr. 3 and instantly explain why Crododile was angry with him in the Alabasta Arc.
  • If they had made it that far, They would have been screwed when it came to Oimo and Kaashi's moment with Usopp at Enies Lobby.
Oh wow. How could they have fucked up that bad? And I bet it would have got even worse the further they got.

ffdgh

.....woah

i wonder what they would have thought of if....or should i say when they skipped robins backstory. BTW where exactly did 4kids one piece stop at?

Top Bottom