• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

So I'm finally at Fishman Isle, it feels really funny to be only 30ish episodes away from being caught up with everyone, last month when I started it seemed like I'd be behind forever lol

And with that I've finally caught up with the anime, not I just have to figure out what manga chapter I'm on and get caught up to there before I go back and read all the stuff I saw in anime form.

I have to wait for the next episode now

How have you guys been doing this for years ;-;

789shadow

Banned
And with that I've finally caught up with the anime, not I just have to figure out what manga chapter I'm on and get caught up to there before I go back and read all the stuff I saw in anime form.

Read the manga.

I take year breaks. I've been watching since around '03. I haven't watched the anime since Impel Down but I'm going through it with some friends now and we've just finished up Thriller Bark. Once we get past Impel Down it will be the first time I've seen the other arcs animated. With the manga it really depends on the mood. Haven't stopped with that in awhile.

Cwarrior

One piece 559

Arcs heating up, episode moved at brisk pace then expected.

Good episode all round, underwater battle/chase was pretty cool, it's good to see what mermens are really capable off in the water(plus add steroid boost).

Interesting Turn of events at the end, I want to know how the stawhats and fishmen are going to deal with that.

was expecting jimbi to show up not Fukaboshi but that does make sense since he did leave earlier to fly up with the black whale.

Now when you wait for new One Piece content, what you get isn't a horribly paced, horribly animated 30 minutes of anime.

What are you comparing it too? a multimillion disney theatrical animated film?

If you compare it to other tv animes then your not going to find an anime that's airing right now that looks as good as it, in both art and animation, yeah standards maybe not be that high for anime in general but it's anime it's a lot cheaper then it's western cartoon counter part, it is what it is and that's anime.

Maybe toriko in the animation part but that's cause it's animated by a lot of the same animators as one piece.

Started op in late 2004, I normally would marathon it once a year, stop at the begin of the arc wait for it to finish then watch it all in a few weeks.

SykoTech

Um, neither. One Piece is not on TV. Subbed episodes for Season 4 started going up on OnePieceOfficial a few weeks ago (two episodes every week) but if you want the dub that's on the DVD.

Really late reply and all, but Funimation has been uploading the dubbed episodes to the official website as well. They just uploaded 8 dubbed episodes today, and although to order jumps around a lot, they've reached the start of the G8 arc. It'll take them awhile to catch up to the DVD releases, but they should be uploaded eventually.

Kyuur

I found that they kind of screwed up this episode's impact. No VS text, the way they animated Snake Shot made it look... meh. I guess I can forgive them as they're probably saving some animation budget for some of the upcoming stuff.

Guess I'll take over for CSSer.

ES_ONE_PIECE_560.jpg

The Fight Begins! Luffy vs Hordy!

One Piece 561 Preview: Battle Royal! The Group vs the New Fishman Pirates!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
That was a pretty bad episode. Poorly directed and low animation budget. Disappointing. Fishman Island doesn't have all that many highs in the first place so its disappointing when they screw up the climatic/epic scenes it does have.

Also, I swear Nami's breasts and Zoro's shoulders are larger than they ever have been before. Its ridiculous.

That was a pretty bad episode. Poorly directed and low animation budget. Disappointing. Fishman Island doesn't have all that many highs in the first place so its disappointing when they screw up the climatic/epic scenes it does have.

Also, I swear Nami's breasts and Zoro's shoulders are larger than they ever have been before. Its ridiculous.

I agree with every word of this man's post.

ffdgh

Heh i though the same thing when nami dust herself XD. its like they fit less than in the last ep.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So, we going to get a One Piece Kai in about 20 years? Unless One Piece is still going after all that time.
You'd think all this awful pacing would kill ratings in Japan, yet it still manages to do well.

So, we going to get a One Piece Kai in about 20 years? Unless One Piece is still going after all that time.
You'd think all this awful pacing would kill ratings in Japan, yet it still manages to do well.

I mean if they wanted to OP is popular enough right now they could probably get away with doing OP Kai now <_<

Wouldnt they have done that now instead of doing a One Piece Special Edition HD which seems to be garnering good ratings weekly? Which I guess I need to check out.

grandjedi6

At least it isn't false advertising. The people buying it will know it is the shitty filler. Dollars to donuts Aokiji will be on the volume 3 cover along with Franky.

Aokiji won't be in Voyage 3; his last episode for a long time was 228.

EDIT: Actually, if I had to guess, I'd say Voyage 3's cover will be either Water 7 overall or the Luffy vs Usopp fight.

Voyage 2 also contains the episode with this fateful error:

5lyXd.png

(Though I'm sure it was fixed for the DVD masters)

EDIT: Actually, if I had to guess, I'd say Voyage 3's cover will be either Water 7 overall or the Luffy vs Usopp fight.

5lyXd.png

Took me a moment to figure it out lol Zoro has clone powers!

Cwarrior

5lyXd.png

Episode_226_error_dvd.png

dvd verison is in 4:3

yeah it's fixed in the dvd release, if you ask me you can never have enough zoros so total downgrade.

Forgot if I mentioned I finally started watching the anime a few months back. I'm in the post war flashback arc right now. I expect I'll finish that and then just skip to Punk Hazard when that comes out. Hated the Fishman Island arc in the manga and don't think anything worthwhile happened at Saboady. I'll double check that though but all I really remember is the fake strawhats and that the flying fish biker crew watched their ship for them. Actually, I'll probably want to see the end fights of fishman island arc, looks like it's around that point right now from the gifs you guys are posting. Why does Luffy's skin turn black? I'm guessing that's supposed to be haki but none of the other characters in the series had that reaction when they used haki blows like Hancock when she was fending off Smoker in the Marineford war, for instance. I'll definitely check out the training episodes but I expect that to be a few episodes at most.

ReRixo

Banned
Forgot if I mentioned I finally started watching the anime a few months back. I'm in the post war flashback arc right now. I expect I'll finish that and then just skip to Punk Hazard when that comes out. Hated the Fishman Island arc in the manga and don't think anything worthwhile happened at Saboady. I'll double check that though but all I really remember is the fake strawhats and that the flying fish biker crew watched their ship for them. Actually, I'll probably want to see the end fights of fishman island arc, looks like it's around that point right now from the gifs you guys are posting. Why does Luffy's skin turn black? I'm guessing that's supposed to be haki but none of the other characters in the series had that reaction when they used haki blows like Hancock when she was fending off Smoker in the Marineford war, for instance. I'll definitely check out the training episodes but I expect that to be a few episodes at most.

it's the hardening haki

The correct term is the Armament Haki. It allows Luffy to go through vulcanization.

Makes the most sense to me. We see the visual effect only on Luffy because he uses the Haki to modify the special devil fruit properties of his body.

In his special case rubber turns black as if it's vulcanized. I wonder if it's automatic or if he could do this Haki w/o the effect and if that means other devil fruit users can also use Haki to (visually) modify their abilities...
Btw I think it's especially cool in his case as it helps him to cancel out his natural "weakness" (being bouncy/rubber not being a very hard material).

edited
/embarrassed

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Makes the most sense to me. We see the visual effect only on Luffy because he uses the Haki to modify the special dragon fruit properties of his body.

In his special case rubber turns black as if it's vulcanized. I wonder if it's automatic or if he could do this Haki w/o the effect and if that means other dragon fruit users can also use Haki to (visually) modify their abilities...
Btw I think it's especially cool in his case as it helps him to cancel out his natural "weakness" (being bouncy/rubber not being a very hard material).

Seriously?!
Devil Fruits man!

grandjedi6

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100429010747/onepiece/images/b/bd/Episode_226_error_dvd.png[IMG]
dvd verison is in 4:3

yeah it's fixed in the dvd release, if you ask me you can never have enough zoros so total downgrade.[/QUOTE]

Right... I forgot that the Japanese DVDs took longer to switch to 16:9 for whatever reason.

Now I'm really curious what this scene will look like in Voyage 2 since Funimation is working with widescreen masters.

[quote="SykoTech, post: 41396682"]Anyone know if that Nami special aired yet, or if there's a legit place to watch it?[/QUOTE]

Yes and no. Actually there probably won't ever be a legal way to watch it.

561 was pretty damn good. Nice animation, setting up some good battles, and Nami actually looked kinda good. Glad I started tuning back in this week since I haven't watched the last few.

EDIT: Oh, and the underwater stuff was pretty neat.

SykoTech

Stabbed by a trident? Nope.
Slashed by an axe? Nope.
Fall off a cliff? Nope.
Bump on the head? Yeah, that'll do it.

And poor Jimbei. He called dibs on jumbo first, but Sanji totally stole his thunder.

And nice to see that Nami's underboob isn't as ridiculous as it was last episode.

Gradivus

We're finally getting to the fights in this arc. I can't wait for this to hurry up and move to the Punk Hazard part
but I still want to see the Big Mama scene

Wiseblade

The ending was a new version of "we are" over the last events of the arc. (Nami jumping aboard the Merry etc.) I missed the beginning, so I'm not sure what they did there.

How many versions of "We Are" are there now?

1) OG version
2) Straw Hat Version (And the Brook update)
3) TVXQ Cover version
4) 2011 Version
5) AAA Cover
6) Fake Strawhats Gag cover.

An I missing anything?

Top Bottom