• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

GrizzNKev

Banned
Holy butts, the likes and messages are flying in right now. I don't know what I did right this time but it sure is working. Good feels, gafbros.

Hope Dave makes it home okay, I really like the guy.

gaiages

Banned
and a sister who keeps a dog given to her even though she can't take care of it, so the dog poops everywhere

Are... are you SniperHunter's alt account?

I'm joking, of course. That sounds super rough. I can't say I can understand a situation like that, but I really do hope it gets resolved, so you can move on to more positive things (even if the resolution isn't the best one possible). I'm rooting for ya <3

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
If nothing else, you'll get a good story out of this! Assuming you don't end up chained in her basement by the end of the night...

dave should just keep the meetup super public...

"Yeah, let's meet in the middle of Walmart..."

LOL

If you don't post in 24 hours I'll call the police for you.

I don't know where you live, but I'll do it anyway.

EDIT: @Salamando - Hope the personal shiz gets better for you :(

Dave, take her to places with cameras.

okay, so she ended up being a lot nicer in person than i would have figured considering those texts, HOWEVER that doesn't mean she wasn't possibly the most insane person I have ever met.

Overall the date was like a "normal" bad date. lots of questions and pauses and no real "fun" conversation. but the following happened:

we went to a sushi place. i had one plate and she had one for herself, but she was trying to decide if she wanted to get more. she ended up getting a second small one and a third large plate. It took her a very long time to eat, and after the first plate she held her chopsticks in her hands the whole time. When she was holding her wooden chopsticks in her hands i realized that she hadn't actually separated them and was using them like that to pick up the food and eat it. it was very strange to me cause it made it seem like what she was doing made it harder for her, and also she was probably eating splinters. The whole time we were talking about random things and asking random questions, where the following insanity was revealed:

- She has watched Chappie FIFTEEN TIMES in the THEATERS

- upon realizing she has seen a mediocre movie in the theaters 15 times and loves it, i asked her what else she has seen multiple times, and she said the Hobbit (probably the last one) THIRTY times. I don't know if its an exaggeration or not, but i don't know if i can make that assessment

- i asked her about what she liked about Star Wars, since she said she absolutely loved the movies, and she said her favorite character is R2-D2 and she reads all of the expanded universe for him. I asked her if they had a book just for him, but she said no "i wish." She then started talking about the prequels and original trilogy after i said i was indifferent about the prequels and i thought the originals were great. She said that "in her opinion" the star wars movies are about R2-D2 and no one else. I almost bust out in laughter, but i just said "that's an interesting take on it, never heard that before"

- she asked me the question "if you could have any super power what would you have?" I answered it saying invisibility or knowing every language. I asked her, and she said "4 things -- To be Chappie, To Be R2-D2, to fly, and the ability to be anyone and everything at any time." So i didn't really understand why being Chappie and R2-D2 wasn't covered by the last thing in her list because if she were a shapeshifter she should be able to turn into Chappie or R2-D2 by default. She couldn't understand this, and i tried to explain it to her in a couple different ways. I ended up just telling her to forget about it, and that i thought it was cool anyway. "no you don't" was her response. I didn't say anything to that.

- when we were on the topic about lord of the rings/hobbit i told her i liked the lore around it etc and she decided to say that she liked the hobbit movies more than LOTR and basically said that Peter Jackson put more love/care into the hobbit movies, etc, which basically is the flip of what I think. LOTR is "masterpiece" while hobbit is "supplemental" in my mind, so her saying that was just a very strange opinion considering the bloat the movies had and a lot of the needless extra stuff they put in. i mean, her opinion about movies in general doesn't really matter, so its not that strange to think this, but her strange attachment to the hobbit movies and watching them "30" times is what made it more strange for me.

i was talking about movies a lot and she seemed to just agree with whatever thing i was saying even though some of the things i said didnt really make sense or werent complete thoughts and i just stopped talking.

Nearer to the end she asked if I "wanted to do anything else." I didn't know what that meant really, but I kind of didn't want to anyway, so I asked her what she had in mind, and she suggested seeing Chappie again! LOL. I was like "sure" but I ended up getting out of it caused i asked her how long the movie was and said I had some video editing work to do, which IS true, by the way. I just didn't want to waste 2 hours watching that movie, and be witness to her watching it for the 16th time.

- she doesn't have a computer (which may or may not be weird for someone who is a self-proclaimed nerd). Her saying for being a nerd is "you name it, i'm into it." Take that for what it is, i suppose.

she offered to pay for her portion, but i just ended up splitting the cost with her in half instead of just having her pay for all of hers. I didn't want to be a jerk, obviously.

anyway, at the end of it all, it was just hilarious. I think that was about all the notable weirdness, but there's other more personal stuff she was talking about that was a little strange that i won't reiterate here.

i would like to say that the initial texts/phone calls kind of soured me to begin with, so it was hard to stay positive about it going into it. and i'd be lying if i didn't say i was trying to torpedo her wanting to get back into contact with me.

Holy butts, the likes and messages are flying in right now. I don't know what I did right this time but it sure is working. Good feels, gafbros.

Hope Dave makes it home okay, I really like the guy.

<3

mango drank

Holy balls. Should've brought a psychologist with you to diagnose her. I'm genuinely curious what's wrong with her. Funny story, but ... poor thing.

Your profile seems good in my opinion (this coming from a 28 year old woman who is not single). Nothing about it is over the top, but you've clearly put effort into it to show your personality. There's nothing there that gives that "red flag" kind of vibe and your interest in finding friends/partners seems sincere, so overall I think you give off a good first impression.

Hey, thanks for the feedback. I suppose there aren't a ton of strategies for me to try to implement, other than "be better looking." Which I'm kinda working on.

GrizzNKev

Banned
9 visits and 5 likes and one phone number in the first 6 hours of my new account. And the girl I'm taking to is AWESOME

Edit, I'm 6 for 10 on the likes/visits ratio. This is whack as fuck. The only truly different thing is me having a job. I guess that makes a huge difference huh.

Symphonia

Banned
My man. My mannnnnnnnn. *fist bump*
Do you know what the equally best/worst part is? They're not the only one(s) who want to do the nast with me. I have at least ten other girls on my match list who say they'd be up for a jolly old romp. I'm not sure if I will do the deed with all of them, but I'd be a damn fool to pass up some of them.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I've gotten more likes in less than a day than I ever have in any amount of months with an active okc profile in the past. Insanity.

Gray Matter

I don't think OKC is working lol

Edit: also saw at what might be the worst attempt at a fake profile. All the pictures were screenshots from Instagram.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I thought a mod said not to post pictures of faces anymore? Should have blacked out the name and face, man.

Jhoan

This just made my day, thanks. Although some people say I look like Romeo santos... I don't see it.
I know this was several days but you're welcome. I don't see the Romeo comparison either other than maybe in the hairstyle. Otherwise, he has more of a bulbous nose. Keep fighting the good fight man.I know it's much harder to meet girls in CT considering how early places close there. I tried talking to a few girls from there but it didn't work out because of the distance and time issues.

@GrizzNKev, that's damn good to hear man! Good luck on that date man and keep up the positive attitude.

Reposting for this new page and will add it to the OP:

Hey folks, let's not post pictures of women or men from dating sites. Unless you have someone's explicit permission to post their picture, it's a violation of their privacy. This includes captures of Tinder chats, identifiable screen caps from private messages, that sort of thing.

Thanks.

Lulubop

I needa get back on my OKC grind, most girl are meet on Tinder are looking for something casual but it would be nice to talk to someone who is looking for something serious too. So I'll use OKC for that, and Tinder for casual. I been on a white girl kick lately, though a big reason is because that's the large majority in my area. Almost all the ones I've met have a thing for Hispanic dudes, and have spent more time than me in Latin America.

Salamando

It's just a play on my actual name, like my GAF name. But if that's what they think, then sure :p

I really feel like my profile is super low effort and I only put up one picture so far too. I'm baffled by the results.

You got a job at Microsoft making games on Thursday or Friday with your self-admitted limited ability to demo code? What the hell is on your resume?

Jhoan

I needa get back on my OKC grind, most girl are meet on Tinder are looking for something casual but it would be nice to talk to someone who is looking for something serious too. So I'll use OKC for that, and Tinder for casual. I been on a white girl kick lately, though a big reason is because that's the large majority in my area. Almost all the ones I've met have a thing for Hispanic dudes, and have spent more time than me in Latin America.

Good luck getting back on the OKC horse and lucky you living in an area chock full of college students. I haven't been able to relate to any of the White of the girls I've gone with from Tinder so I would love to be in your situation. In my experience with Tinder, I've gotten the impression that many girls are looking for more substantial so it's fascinating to see that you have had a different experience. Then again, I don't ask what girls are looking for when I meet them.

In regards to girls that you've gone out with having been to several Latin America countries, I would say to be thankful for what you have. Don't let that stuff phase you or make you feel inferior to them; you will go some day. I wouldn't even have any shame bringing a girl home since my mother doesn't care and I have my own room. Although sleeping on a bunk bed as an adult has raised some concerns. xD

Gray Matter

Just went on tinder and swiped right to at least 25 girls, hopefully at least one bites.

Edit: scratch that, it went up to like 40.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Girl who I planned a date with was nuts, she sent me a text calling me rude for not replying the way she wanted while I was busy with an Easter dinner thing, even though I told her I would be busy. That's over, whatevs.

I matched with a super cute girl on tinder who is standing next to a giant Shrek head in her main pic. She's been offline for four days but I really hope she replies.

besada

Banned
Hey folks, let's not post pictures of women or men from dating sites. Unless you have someone's explicit permission to post their picture, it's a violation of their privacy. This includes captures of Tinder chats, identifiable screen caps from private messages, that sort of thing.

Thanks.

Edit: I'm reposting because apparently some people didn't see it.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
So, I just read a profile that I really liked, and the person listed where they worked, and it's a place that I know where it is (and regularly go into another business in the same area.) We're not really well matched, so I think I'd make a better first impression in person, but I have serious reservations about just showing up at a stranger's place of work and trying to chat them up, especially since I wouldn't really be able to say "hey, I was reading your dating profile and just decided to show up!" So if it wasn't weird enough to do something like that, I'd have to commit a kind of lie of omission just from the get go, and I don't like the thought of that.

So, basically, I'm asking you guys to tell me not to do this. Something like "Yeah Rest, that would be weird and stupid, don't do it" would work.

Thanks.

Might as well put it in the OP at this rate. I have to say, I'm a bit surprised to have seen as many people as I have do it.

Gray Matter

So, I just read a profile that I really liked, and the person listed where they worked, and it's a place that I know where it is (and regularly go into another business in the same area.) We're not really well matched, so I think I'd make a better first impression in person, but I have serious reservations about just showing up at a stranger's place of work and trying to chat them up, especially since I wouldn't really be able to say "hey, I was reading your dating profile and just decided to show up!" So if it wasn't weird enough to do something like that, I'd have to commit a kind of lie of omission just from the get go, and I don't like the thought of that.

So, basically, I'm asking you guys to tell me not to do this. Something like "Yeah Rest, that would be weird and stupid, don't do it" would work.

Might as well put it in the OP at this rate. I have to say, I'm a bit surprised to have seen as many people as I have do it.

You could definitely go in person, but don't mention that you've been looking thru her online dating progile.

That's my 2 cents.

Gray Matter

wLSAKsT.jpg

So this just happened, didn't even think it was possible lol

Symphonia

Banned

Thanks.

I saw it but, honestly, what's the harm in posting Tinder chat logs? There's no way of identifying them and the chances of anyone else being able to contact them are, like, 0.001%. OKC, I get, but why Tinder?

GrizzNKev

Banned
I saw it but, honestly, what's the harm in posting Tinder chat logs? There's no way of identifying them and the chances of anyone else being able to contact them are, like, 0.001%. OKC, I get, but why Tinder?

I think it's more just a general GAF policy. Preventing stuff like creepy-gaf and detective-gaf, since it always goes too far, is important for keeping the site inviting to existing members and newcomers. If people start doing it often in this thread, they might begin to do it elsewhere and cite the posts in here as proof of inconsistent moderation.

Lulubop

Good luck getting back on the OKC horse and lucky you living in an area chock full of college students. I haven't been able to relate to any of the White of the girls I've gone with from Tinder so I would love to be in your situation. In my experience with Tinder, I've gotten the impression that many girls are looking for more substantial so it's fascinating to see that you have had a different experience. Then again, I don't ask what girls are looking for when I meet them.

In regards to girls that you've gone out with having been to several Latin America countries, I would say to be thankful for what you have. Don't let that stuff phase you or make you feel inferior to them; you will go some day. I wouldn't even have any shame bringing a girl home since my mother doesn't care and I have my own room. Although sleeping on a bunk bed as an adult has raised some concerns. xD

It's not even really college students, it's more like outta city girls living with roomies out a long the L line in Brooklyn. Best kinda girls. I've meet girls on Tinder who were looking for more, but not lately. Like at all, I'm not sure what why that is. Maybe cuffin' season being over. I've always had a thing for Black girls, but lately I've been more interested in White girls and I've been matching a lot more with White girls. Oddly I've never done well with Hispanic women, not sure why. I don't really ask what girls are looking for, and I sure as hell won't again after it blew up in my face but last week I went on three dates and they were all down. Two were specifically just looking for a casual thing. Hoping I can make it a regular occurrence with the girl I met Friday. She's pretty.

Girls are just like super down too met on Tinder in my experience. Some girl today was down to meet within like 4 sentence today. OKC it feels like more effort because, and to me it tells me they're looking for something more than just meeting up at a bar and hooking up. I'm leaning that way not too. So I gotta get on this shit. I meet even delete and recreate my profile.

I do feel a little bad about not having been to Latin America as much as I'd like, hell I've only been to PR once. That said it's certainly for economic reasons, I didn't grew up in a family that could support that kind of thing. I don't feel, bad though. More like a little jealous. This girl I met Friday had been all over South, and Central America and specifically had a thing for Hispanic dudes. Something seemingly common with the White chicks I've been matching up with.

I do feel some shame, a lot actually.Even though I too have my own room. I feel pretty bad coming home after spending the night in a girls house too, even though I'm old as fuck now. I have brought girls here, but usually after a quite a few dates or like something potentially serious starting up. That said, my best friend wants to look at apartments and now his sister and her friend or on board too. Would be dope.

Salamando

A picture, a first name, a town...all I'd need to figure out exactly who you're talking to. I've done more with less.

Coincidentally that is not a skillset you should bring up with girls you meet online. Made that mistake about a month ago. I do work in online data collection and started talking about how much data I can collect until I run into issues with Personally Identifiable Information....in other words, how much anonymous info I can gather on a random person until they're no longer anonymous. She asked for an example. I told her how I could figure out her last name using just the information she's already told me. One of my methods just so happened to be how her stalkers found her. There wasn't another date.

Symphonia

Banned
A picture, a first name, a town...all I'd need to figure out exactly who you're talking to. I've done more with less.
But it's a chat log. You'd have a possible first name, and a thumbnail photo. No town or anything. Even for GAF, it would be hard to work out just who she is.

Top Bottom