• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OOTP Baseball 17 officially available - NeoGAF League Details

This is going to be a long year. 3 emails this week complaining about the clubhouse.

Piscotty is available for anyone once he comes off the DL, he'll make for a nice rental or more if you re-sign him.

I'm opening to moving a pitcher or two as well (not named Ynoa). I've got them locked up for a while so they're pretty good deals I think.

Looking to get younger and cheaper.

This is going to be a long year. 3 emails this week complaining about the clubhouse.

Piscotty is available for anyone once he comes off the DL, he'll make for a nice rental or more if you re-sign him.

I'm opening to moving a pitcher or two as well (not named Ynoa). I've got them locked up for a while so they're pretty good deals I think.

Looking to get younger and cheaper.

I got at least 3 emails a week last season. Everybody demanding to be traded. Nobody liked each other. Now they're back to normal so far. If my offense doesn't pick up they'll probably start fighting again.

Allowed the fewest runs in the league but only scored like 5 more runs than we allowed. Pathetic offense. Lead the league in triples though lol.

brentech

Sim: 7 Days
Date: May 12, 2021
Notes: I had to start this sim and head out the door. The league file is up, but the reports are currently generating so I can't see any results or anything yet myself.

6-1 best sim I've had in a few seasons! My pitching has been great with Shelby back this season even though my scout has him at a 45 ovr now. Offense was a little better this week hopefully that keeps up.

Number one pick in the draft!

Machado out for the season. Condolences O's. He was playing rather well.

This season is getting ridiculous. I've lot Manny, my best player, my two best starting pitchers, my CF who was a silver slugger winner last year and having a solid season so far, and the waiver wire pitcher i picked up to just be a body in the pen is down for the season. I still think I can put together a decent line-up, but it's completely lacking in star power, unless Stewart is really legit.

Manuel Peguero has a .302/.341/.657 slash this year, 35 R, 16 HR, 36 RBI, a .998 OPS and already a 2.0 WAR in 169 at bats.

Projects to 64 HR, 144 RBI, 140 Runs and an 8.0 WAR.

All while walking a projected only 36 times.

The Dodgers have Zack Greinke in middle relief, Doolittle and Holland at the back end of the bullpen.

The starting infield has OPS of .998, .838, .846 and .853.

Are you kidding me?

Crown 'em.

Rommel

Manuel Peguero has a .302/.341/.657 slash this year, 35 R, 16 HR, 36 RBI, a .998 OPS and already a 2.0 WAR in 169 at bats.

Projects to 64 HR, 144 RBI, 140 Runs and an 8.0 WAR.

All while walking a projected only 36 times.

The Dodgers have Zack Greinke in middle relief, Doolittle and Holland at the back end of the bullpen.

The starting infield has OPS of .998, .838, .846 and .853.

Are you kidding me?

Crown 'em.

Yah I keep getting clubbed by them every time I play them. If I was playing .500 ball against them I'd be tied for 1st.

brentech

Sim: 7 days
Date: May 26, 2021
Notes: There was no sim yesterday due to the holiday.

Indians are basically dead in the water. Just had 4 games injured last sim. Best thing to be said about the season is that Keith Weisenberg is playing like the guy I thought I was getting in the trade a few seasons back. He was terrible in the bullpen last season, but he's a monster as a starter now.

All 3 division leaders in the NL have winning percentages over .600, in the AL the Blue Jay have won almost 68% of their games and the Mariners have won nearly 60%. The Twins are the worst division leader at a mere .565 winning percentage.

What's also crazy is that only three second place teams are more than 5 games back.

4 players in the NL have SLG% over .600, 3 of them play for the Cubs. 0 players have such slugging numbers in the AL.

Two bad sims in a row. Offense has gotten slightly better but pitching and defense was slightly worse. Still lead in runs allowed though.

Willie Abreu has the highest avg so far! If he only had some help! Thought Freddie and Lawrie would be performing better than they are.

Brent can you run Mikey White into the trade smasher please. Thanks.

Aww Mikey White, former Mariner farmhand!

I made a bunch of adjustments to my system last night, had several prospects sadly go down with pretty long term injuries :( But the bigger news is that one of my top prospects was deemed Major League ready by my scouts. I suppose when you put up a .311/.396/.514 triple slash line as 23 year old starting catcher in AAA that's pretty much ready to move up.

I'm so #blessed to have like 3 major league caliber starting catchers that I demoted one back to AAA and am now playing one out of position.

Now if only one of these second basemen would start hitting... I called up 25 year old Tristan Gray to see what he can do. Tyler Malone is doing okay in AAA but I'm worried that his power is gone. Gonna let him simmer awhile longer while I see how the older kid can do.

Also I looked at the All Star Ballot and first base and second base are pretty much the only positions I don't have a legit contender for a spot at. Trout and Quevedo are probably locks for LF and C.

brentech

Sim: 7 Days
Date: June 2, 2021
Notes: First Year Draft is right around the corner. I'd start making your lists.

White trade offers
quMuSIq.png

Fuck lost a SP for 12 months.

Shelby Miller's overall keeps going down every sim but he's still pitching like old Shelby with just a couple less strikeouts.

Team is 13 games over .500 and has 2 of the best position players in baseball, attendance is only up 10% :(

My owner wants me to get attendance to 31k and right now its only 27k. Maybe once school is out!

Pitching staff is now first in every category but bullpen ERA (7th), dingers allowed (3rd), walks (12th!) and strikeouts (3rd).

The bullpen is still a slight concern with my record being 8-7 in one run games but I guess I can maximize my best relievers in the playoffs should I get there.

brentech

Team is 13 games over .500 and has 2 of the best position players in baseball, attendance is only up 10% :(

My owner wants me to get attendance to 31k and right now its only 27k. Maybe once school is out!

Pitching staff is now first in every category but bullpen ERA (7th), dingers allowed (3rd), walks (12th!) and strikeouts (3rd).

The bullpen is still a slight concern with my record being 8-7 in one run games but I guess I can maximize my best relievers in the playoffs should I get there.
Attendance is something that basically takes two solid seasons to bring up, in my experience.

Attendance is something that basically takes two solid seasons to bring up, in my experience.

Ugh lame. Oh well if I make the playoffs and my drafted guys continue to progress that should be enough for my owner.

I meant to make a post about this during the MLB draft but here is an abbreviated leader board of career WAR for players selected in the first round of the first GOBL draft:

Code:
3B	9	BRENDAN RODGERS			9.5
SP	30	JUSTIN HOOPER 			8.5
3B	56	JOHN AIELLO				4.6
SP	16	KOLBY ALLARD			4.3
SP	65	DILLON TATE				4.1
SP	15	TRISTON MCKENZIE		3.9
2B	44	IAN HAPP				3.8
SP	26	KYLE FUNKHOUSER			2.8
SP	28	MICHAEL MATUELLA		2.8
3B	10	DANSBY SWANSON			2.6
3B	12	ZACH RAMZY				2.6
SS	35	JAHMAI JONES			1.4
2B	26	NICK SHUMPERT			1.1
RP	71	DONNIE EVERETT			0.6
RF	45	BRYANT HARRIS			0.4
2B	20	ALEX BREGMAN			0.0
CF	26	DAZMON CAMERON			0.0
LF	23	REESE COOLEY			0.0
RF	1	JONAH DAVIS				0.0
SS	37	TREY DAWSON				0.0
3B	18	GEORGE HEWITT			0.0
SS	20	ROBINSON SÁNCHEZ		0.0
3B	32	XAVIER LEGRANT			-0.1
C	28	CHRIS BETTS				-0.2
RP	37	RILEY FERRELL			0.0
SP	50	WALKER BUEHLER			0.0
SP	50	JUSTIN MARSDEN			0.0
SP	36	JAKE LEMOINE			0.0
CL	29	GARRETT CLEAVINGER		0.0
SP	49	KYLE CODY				0.0
CL	15	CARSON FULMER			0.0

Some notes:

Despite their decent WAR totals Aiello and Rodgers both have sub .700 career OPS and sub 100 OPS+. Their value has been entirely tied to their defense.

Justin Hooper is the reigning AL Cy Young Award winner. He's on pace for another 5.6 WAR this season after almost 7 last season. He was selected 8th overall.

7 of the batters have not made it to the majors, although one of these guys (Robinson Sanchez might be on the wrong list as it doesn't show him as being drafted).

Dazmon Cameron (#29th overall) is still in rookie ball. He was drafted FIVE times before signing with the Dodgers.

7 pitchers have yet to reach the big leagues.

Garrett Cleavinger (who looks like he was drafted be Cleveland, I think some of the data maybe got lost?) is the only retired player so far.

#22 overall pick Justin Lemoine is currently a free agent. His career was derailed by a UCL injury in 2019 after suffering shoulder inflammation in 2018.

Rommel

Can you run James Paxton through the trade-o-Matic? Or if anyone needs an arm for the back end of your rotation he or Pinenda is available.

Rommel

Ugh lame. Oh well if I make the playoffs and my drafted guys continue to progress that should be enough for my owner.

I meant to make a post about this during the MLB draft but here is an abbreviated leader board of career WAR for players selected in the first round of the first GOBL draft:

Code:
3B	9	BRENDAN RODGERS			9.5
SP	30	JUSTIN HOOPER 			8.5
3B	56	JOHN AIELLO				4.6
SP	16	KOLBY ALLARD			4.3
SP	65	DILLON TATE				4.1
SP	15	TRISTON MCKENZIE		3.9
2B	44	IAN HAPP				3.8
SP	26	KYLE FUNKHOUSER			2.8
SP	28	MICHAEL MATUELLA		2.8
3B	10	DANSBY SWANSON			2.6
3B	12	ZACH RAMZY				2.6
SS	35	JAHMAI JONES			1.4
2B	26	NICK SHUMPERT			1.1
RP	71	DONNIE EVERETT			0.6
RF	45	BRYANT HARRIS			0.4
2B	20	ALEX BREGMAN			0.0
CF	26	DAZMON CAMERON			0.0
LF	23	REESE COOLEY			0.0
RF	1	JONAH DAVIS				0.0
SS	37	TREY DAWSON				0.0
3B	18	GEORGE HEWITT			0.0
SS	20	ROBINSON SÁNCHEZ		0.0
3B	32	XAVIER LEGRANT			-0.1
C	28	CHRIS BETTS				-0.2
RP	37	RILEY FERRELL			0.0
SP	50	WALKER BUEHLER			0.0
SP	50	JUSTIN MARSDEN			0.0
SP	36	JAKE LEMOINE			0.0
CL	29	GARRETT CLEAVINGER		0.0
SP	49	KYLE CODY				0.0
CL	15	CARSON FULMER			0.0

Some notes:

Despite their decent WAR totals Aiello and Rodgers both have sub .700 career OPS and sub 100 OPS+. Their value has been entirely tied to their defense.

Justin Hooper is the reigning AL Cy Young Award winner. He's on pace for another 5.6 WAR this season after almost 7 last season. He was selected 8th overall.

7 of the batters have not made it to the majors, although one of these guys (Robinson Sanchez might be on the wrong list as it doesn't show him as being drafted).

Dazmon Cameron (#29th overall) is still in rookie ball. He was drafted FIVE times before signing with the Dodgers.

7 pitchers have yet to reach the big leagues.

Garrett Cleavinger (who looks like he was drafted be Cleveland, I think some of the data maybe got lost?) is the only retired player so far.

#22 overall pick Justin Lemoine is currently a free agent. His career was derailed by a UCL injury in 2019 after suffering shoulder inflammation in 2018.

Funkhouser was once a 1st round pick and twice a 2nd round pick.

SQ5z6qK.png

They weren't offering him enough chili dogs.

zzAPDmh.png

Awesome work on the draft recap!

Poor Jake Lemoine. Had such high hopes for him too.

What I really wanted to do is look at some of the guys taken in the first round of the real life draft this year and compare to their GOBL careers so far. I know the Mariners second rounder this year was a guy I actually drafted at one point who had a pretty nice season in high A ball for me last year and was progressing up this year. I know that Mickey Moniak is a guy who exists in GOBL somewhere but off the top of my head I can't recall where.

Randy Bass' kid wants almost $8mm? That kid is gonna be in the draft again next year!

Also I saw a Tim Belcher. I wonder if these are meant to be player's kids or its just the name generator having issues?

The Pittsburgh Pirates have won 70% of their games despite not having a single starting hitter with double digit dingers. Jameson Tailon is having himself a year.

Lost my 4th OF for 4 months. I've been losing OFs left and right. I had to call up a guy from the low minors to back-up my starters. I'm relying on guys that should be in AAA in both LF and CF, for at least 2 more weeks. Christian Stewart has been a stud this year, and single-handedly keeping my offense afloat. I went to vote for him on the all-star ballot but he wasn't listed at any position :(. I'm sure he'll make it though.

I have no idea what I can do to boost attendance. After back-to-back WS appearances, and a pretty decent start to this season, my attendance has actually dropped, and it's not like I was at the top of the league in attendance numbers to begin with.

Rommel

Lost my 4th OF for 4 months. I've been losing OFs left and right. I had to call up a guy from the low minors to back-up my starters. I'm relying on guys that should be in AAA in both LF and CF, for at least 2 more weeks. Christian Stewart has been a stud this year, and single-handedly keeping my offense afloat. I went to vote for him on the all-star ballot but he wasn't listed at any position :(. I'm sure he'll make it though.

I have no idea what I can do to boost attendance. After back-to-back WS appearances, and a pretty decent start to this season, my attendance has actually dropped, and it's not like I was at the top of the league in attendance numbers to begin with.

Dropping prices helps. I raised prices by a buck and took a 10% bit to attendance.

Looks like my scout had a much better draft this year. My top 6 picks are all 70+ potential.

He also drafted something like 13 center fielders, good grief.

Quite happy with my draft haul this year. Got to the 33rd round on my initial list of guys, and then the last two were from ones I threw on at the end.

Very happy with my first 5 rounds assuming my scout has rated them properly.

Can't sign the number 1 pick cause my draft budget is 7.5 million and he wants 8 million. Scout has him at a 59 ovr 80 potential. God damn that was fucking stupid I really wanted him

My #1 pick has 79 potential and only wants a $150k bonus instead of the million dollar slot reco.

Delicious.

My first rounder is "easy" but wants $6.5mm, at least I made sure to fill out my draft list with guys who would fit my budget, all the other guys want sub $300k so that's nice.

I drafted almost no pitching, I wonder if this is because I filtered out everyone with injury histories and everyone who was really expensive.

Top Bottom