• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OOTP Baseball 17 officially available - NeoGAF League Details

Bah, I knew I should've just tanked it at the end. Oh well, finished with a good record for the year somehow.

Ditch some salary this year to line up my team better for the future, and it's time for Clotilde to make some noise in the majors next year.

If the NL wins again we need to all dump players from our teams into one super AL squad. I volunteer the Twins to receive all the influx of awesome. ;)

So I wanted to see who was the current Mike Trout... the most valuable player in terms of the top player's WAR compared to the team's total wins:

NFdRFwl.jpg

Some pretty surprising things in here.

First, David Bedgood is a complete monster. 9.1 WAR, and his play accounts for 12% of PHL's total wins.

Second, Mike Trout isn't even Seattle's best player (I was surprised). Johan Quevedo is having a monster season behind the plate. .316/.361/.557 with a 157 OPS+ and is a + defender.

Third, Division leaders tend to not have just one player driving success. Austin Meadows in Pittsburgh is an outlier, 10.3% of PIT's total wins are accounted for by Meadows. But every other division leader does not have one player account for more than 7.5% of total wins. My guys in Oakland trail everyone in this metric, Munoz only accounts for 5.1% of the total wins.

Now, sorting by Top Player WAR:

uNLnmLl.jpg

Here, Quevedo's great season comes even more into focus. But, I guess if you're going to beat out Mike Trout, you better be something special.

And sorting by best player WAR, division leaders do tend to have players in the top 50%. Just shows that teams need balance to win their divisions rather than just a couple star players.

Anyways, thought this was some interesting stuff.

Good luck to everyone in the stretch run!

David Bedgood just finished with 9.8 WAR. I looked at the Phillies roster and I think they had like 1 other player over 3 wins. That's probably a 90+ loss team without him. Kid is insanely good and won't be arbitration eligible for a couple more years.

Kinda crazy that some of the best players in GOBL are guys making no money. Peguero, Bedgood and Quevedo all cost nothing this season.

Congrats to the winners of the WC round!

Well, now Jarrod Parker gets to attempt revenge for my putting him on waivers last season. Wish I hadn't done that.

GL Synchronicity. Should be a fun series.

Oh shit, I wasn't expecting Jose to come back for the biggest game of the season.

And he finally delivered!

On to the FMTs

brentech

Sim: 3 days
Date: Oct 11, 2021
Note: 3 of the 4 division series are tied up at 1-1. Late sim tonight, I'll try to make sure everyone involved has their upload in outside of Twins as he said he's away for rest of playoffs, before I progress tomorrow.

Date: Oct 11, 2021
Note: 3 of the 4 division series are tied up at 1-1. Late sim tonight, I'll try to make sure everyone involved has their upload in outside of Twins as he said he's away for rest of playoffs, before I progress tomorrow.

lol

I already know I'm the one down 0-2

Parker did indeed do me dirty! 7 2/3 of 1 ER ball. Well done.

Game 4 was insane! 11-10 in 12 innings and Minny scored 3 in the bottom of the 9th to tie it up. Steven Vogt walks, only to have Storen throw a passed ball, getting him to second. Then Goldschmidt drives a 2-0 pitch for a double to left, scoring Vogt.

Now if just one of my starting pitchers could be better than poop for game 5...

EDIT: LOL why am I stressed out about this today.

brentech

Sim: 2 days
Date: Oct 16, 2021
Note: We're moving onto the Championship Series, including

Athletics vs Blue Jays
Pirates vs Dodgers

GG Minny. Great series.

Game 5, bottom 8, 1out, down by a run, 2 men on. Marcos Santana comes out to pinch hit for his only at bat in the series. Takes a 1-1 pitch 422 feet to centerfield to put the team up by 2. Unreal.

Toronto kicking my ass again.

The A's left 11 runners on base in game 2. nvsnvasdlknvsdgasdfg

Hopefully the boys can get going back in Oakland.

Get the lucky sewer pipes going boys!

brentech

Date: Oct 22, 2021
Note: Update is available, currently processing reports so I can't see results yet.

edit: fantastic sim

GG Minny. Great series.

Game 5, bottom 8, 1out, down by a run, 2 men on. Marcos Santana comes out to pinch hit for his only at bat in the series. Takes a 1-1 pitch 422 feet to centerfield to put the team up by 2. Unreal.

Wow, looks like I missed out on a great series! Congrats!

I'll have to go back and comb over the boxes/logs and relive the roller coaster.

chairon

Neo Member
I'm having issues downloading the latest update. Anyone else experiencing that? It says there is no update available, even though the export reader tells me there is. Series is still 3-2 for me ...

brentech

I'm having issues downloading the latest update. Anyone else experiencing that? It says there is no update available, even though the export reader tells me there is. Series is still 3-2 for me ...

Not sure if you're on steam, but there was an actual game update the other day as well.

brentech

Date: Oct 29, 2021
Note: Not only are we hoping for the AL to finally win the title, but this is also a human vs CPU game. Oakland winning is the only possible positive. Through 2 games, the series is locked up 1-1.
There was a bench clearing brawl in game 1, with Shimei Saito and Kyle Zimmer getting tossed from the game for igniting it.

First two games were nailbiters.

I really want to beat the CPU. Plus, if I lose again I'll think my team is just the Bills or mid 90s Tribe.

C'mon Oakland. Don't F this up!

2021 Free Agent Performance by Team

Wanted to dig into how much teams spent on signing free agents, what the average cost per win was, just see who did what.

Results were surprising.

jqsleiR.jpg

• 137 free agents were signed last offseason for a total of $537m. Those free agents produced 123 wins at an average cost per win of $4.4m.
  • Boston signed 16 free agents which delivered 16.9 wins at a cost of $3.5m per win.
  • Minnesota only signed 2 free agents, but they produced 2.9 wins at a cost of $0.8m per win, a bargain.
  • The Dodgers spent a whopping $71m on free agents which produced 13.8 wins at a cost of $5.1m/win, well above league average.
  • Texas also signed 16 players, but these players produced only 3.2 wins at an average cost of $9.3m per win. That's not so good.

Top 10 Best Value Free Agents

Rated by Cost per Win

gVXNlAR.jpg

The Worst Free Agent Signings

oNTZErj.jpg

Interesting stuff. If you want the data let me know.

EEP.

Just one more!

Daniel Sweet, arguably my top offensive player is out for the rest of the series. Ugh.

Just one more. C'mon boys. Just one more.

C'mon CQ. Get one for the AL! Although if you win, I'm going to be sick about that 8th inning blast by Santana in game 5!

Also, nice FA summary. Interesting info.

Hold on.

My game 6 starter, the day of his start in the World Series, decided to do "some work on his farm" causing him to be out for the rest of the series?

And then, my game 7 guy is brought up a day and loses 1-0? And what the hell is Melvin doing batting Billy Burns THIRD?

What the hell is Graveman doing working on his farm the day before the biggest start of his life?

WHAT IS HAPPENING?

THE AL IS CURSED.

Also, it looks like my upload yesterday didn't work as Sweet was still on the playoff roster even though I'd moved him to the playoff DL. Before running the sim tomorrow, could you please do me a huge solid and make sure that Sweet and Graveman are on the playoff DL and Heredia and Lopez are on the playoff roster? I uploaded that, so hopefully it goes through. Thanks!

Bog

Junior Ace
Hold on.

My game 6 starter, the day of his start in the World Series, decided to do "some work on his farm" causing him to be out for the rest of the series?

And then, my game 7 guy is brought up a day and loses 1-0? And what the hell is Melvin doing batting Billy Burns THIRD?

What the hell is Graveman doing working on his farm the day before the biggest start of his life?

WHAT IS HAPPENING?

THE AL IS CURSED.

Also, it looks like my upload yesterday didn't work as Sweet was still on the playoff roster even though I'd moved him to the playoff DL. Before running the sim tomorrow, could you please do me a huge solid and make sure that Sweet and Graveman are on the playoff DL and Heredia and Lopez are on the playoff roster? I uploaded that, so hopefully it goes through. Thanks!

Man. Graveman working the land instead of pitching in Game 6 cracked me up good. Sorry. :(

So Pittsburgh was 53-28 at home this year. OMG.

If Melvin bats Billy Burns 3rd in game 7 of the World Series there will be blood.

But then I look at my lineup and Burns has my third highest OBP on the roster.

There is no hope. All is lost.

Man. Graveman working the land instead of pitching in Game 6 cracked me up good. Sorry. :(

Like I'm so irrationally pissed about a virtual Kendall Graveman that I was disgusted watching real life Graveman pitch against the Orioles last night.

"Sure, you can make a pointless start in a lost season but not Game 6 of the 2021 series! Ahole!!!"

brentech

I think I see why you're export didn't 'work'. On the website it shows you updated, but in the game, it shows your game file date is still 10/29, so I'm guessing you missed one of these recent patches.

Make sure you got the actual game patch, redownload the game file, and then export again for me and let me know when you're ready to go.

Checking. On Steam so the patch thing should have worked.

In process of uploading again. Will edit when complete. Thanks!

EDIT: Upload says it was successful with an in game date of November 3rd. Hopefully it works?

Rommel

I hate how my teams window is going up against the LA super team. 2nd best record in the league and only get a wild card shot. Might just blowup my team and reload for a few years down the road.

brentech

Okay, now you're current. 45 min ago you werent, and neither was your last update that may have fucked you in game 6 =(
Simming now

edit: verify who your starter is supposed to be for me please, currently shows Lopez

Top Bottom