• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OPM UK hinting at something really, really big.. [Up: Earth shattering game revealed]

ShinMaruku

Well you guys want hype. I say to hell with hype give me info. The disappointment was well warranted. A magazine having some massive feature? They really think their readers are that stupid.
And as stated before the VR thing will be the same thing. You won't be getting what you brain thinks up. I await similar disappointment for the VR.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
How many times have this happened? Magazine talks about a reveal, GAF assumes it's Demon's Shenmue 3 and then gets mad at the magazine. How many times?

Well I would assume the large majority of people talking about Shenmue 3 or The Last Guardian were joking. If they weren't, well, I don't know why anyone would expect OPM UK of all places to unveil those games. That's like expecting Assassin's Creed V to debut in Famitsu.

It's not like the Batman announcement isn't big or relevant news because it is. It's just that no magazine is ever going to beat GameInformer to the punch considering their digital issue goes up the first week of the month.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
thank you. thank you all. The Thread is Dead. Long live the Thread. May GAF fall for hype forever.

I didn't. Not this time. These things always turn out shite and I blame the OP.

Marvel

could never
716e.gif

I wanted Mass Effect 4!

Varth

Just to make it clear: it's also our cover, that's why I couldn't say anything more. It's been fun for most of the time. Almost hoped some of you were right, but I think the "coming soon" hype blurb was pretty Honest, for, well, an hype blurb.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
To be fair they did have the scoop on it, ie they had this news last month
they just printed it a month late

2364589-1911266886-26e.g.gif

I believed it was nothing but just played along after in this thread

I even stated it if you want to view my post :p

but of course deep down in my heart I had a fickle of hope

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
The general media embargo ended around mid-March, so I assumed this was the case.

Theecliff

Banned
You're damn right. Scumbags. And this is from a person who has not even read too much about the hype - probably visited this topic only twice before today.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter in my eyes whether its one line or a whole page on 'what they are trying to hype' for the next issue - they were intentionally misleading so as to gain more purchases/orders of their magazine.

In my book, this is dishonestly for self gain/profit = scumbags.

I can't help I've got morals/standards. If anyone is to ask if I've ever been dishonest for self gain/profit, then my answer would not be forthcoming as it bodes no relevance. That can be taken however that person likes as far as I'm concerned - maybe I'm a scumbag?...

Why does it bode no relevance? Because to be dishonest for self gain/profit = scumbag. End of.
Again, this is a huge overreaction.

It does matter that this whole thing came from a little aside that's at the bottom corner of a page; context is always important. As someone who already had hold of the magazine before this news broke out I didn't even notice the damned thing until I saw this thread, so I fail to see how this would be an effective strategy to gain more purchases/profit for the magazine. Hell, how would people who didn't already buy the magazine even know about this until we/reddit were the ones that brought attention to it? They weren't advertising the thing, flaunting it about in the magazine or on the internet; the only place it was originally mentioned was in that little aside at the bottom of a page.

They never even said that it would be an exclusive reveal, and the idea of it being 'exciting' and of 'massive significance' was purely subjective (even if it was silly to describe it like that in hindsight). Some people would find Arkham Knight significant, some won't; it's still a brand new, next gen only game in a popular and well received series. The fuck up is that the game was already revealed before the magazine, and that's why it's disappointing to most - we already know what the game is, so it's not some earth shattering reveal.

And are you really trying to insinuate that I have no morals or standards? Haha, okay.

But yeah, a magazine giving a small hint for their next cover to their own subscriber base which led to people on sites like this blowing it out of proportion (for which I guess I am also guilty) makes them fucking scumbags. Yeah, fuck em'.

Heh, bye then.

Top Bottom