• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opus Magnum - Zachtronics latest. Coming to Steam 10/19

Opus Magnum is the latest open-ended puzzle game from Zachtronics, the creators of SpaceChem, Infinifactory, TIS-100, and SHENZHEN I/O. Master the intricate, physical machinery of the transmutation engine— the alchemical engineer’s most advanced tool— and use it to create vital remedies, precious gemstones, deadly weapons, and more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj689znjxpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/558990/Opus_Magnum/

I'm so in. Zachtronics might be my favorite dev.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Ah man, I've only had time to really dig into Spacechem. The rest of the Zachtronics stuff is on my backlog. :(

xUy4dBF.jpg

I very much hope that Zachtronics does well enough off their stuff to keep making these types of games forever. I'll certainly keep buying each and every one.

Ah man, I've only had time to really dig into Spacechem. The rest of the Zachtronics stuff is on my backlog. :(

You've got a loooong way to go - but it's a scenic route!

Arulan

I can't stop playing Divinity: Original Sin 2. I look forward to checking it out later though. TIS-100 and SHENZHEN I/O were fantastic. I need to put some time into SpaceChem at some point too.

cyba89

I love Zachtronics for their completely unique gameplay style. Really enjoyed what I played of SpaceChem and Infinifactory.
TIS-100 was too much programming for me and I think Shenzen is similiar.

Opus Magnum looks like it might interest me more again.

Thraktor

Sweet mother of god yes! Shenzhen I/O is still mostly on my backlog, but I'll pick this up as soon as it's available without question. It's interesting to see them go back to a SpaceChem style game after the more explicit programming of the last two titles.

I've loved almost every single Zachtronics game so far, so this is going to be a day-one purchase for me. And it is probably going to wreck havoc on my attempts at finishing other titles from this year that I've already purchased. Oh well, those aren't Zachtronics games.

If anyone is looking for somebody to compete against on the high-score table, in this or in other Zachtronics games, then feel free to send me a friend-request.

I am also going to take a moment to shill for Silicon Zeroes, which is another great programming'ish puzzle game that came out not too long ago. Highly recommended, but unfortunately I haven't seen it getting a lot of attention.

KKRT00

Looks great and definitely will be amazing game like rest of their output, but i'm more into their programming games.

I hope though, that they will release some game with higher level programming language, something that will focus more on loops, ifs, functions and data modification, not i/o management.

kswiston

I still have to pick up Shenzhen I/O, but I spent many hours in Spacechem and TIS-100.

I taught a high school intro to computer science course, and Spacechem was a game that I let the students play if they finished up their assignments early. Zach offers free Education copies which is extremely nice of him.

eot

Banned
I liked SpaceChem (although complex programs got very annoying to debug), and I never thought I'd say this, but it feels a bit too much like work. I already do so much problem solving that activates the same part of my brain that I feel like time spend with those kinds of games would have been better spent on work stuff.

Oh no. I'm still stuck on the laser tag scorekeeper in Shenzhen I/O. I love these games but I am not a clever man. The only Zach game I've been able to beat was Infinifactory.

That looks cool as hell though. It's like the most spacechem-ass game since spacechem, right? I think before this, Infinifactory was the nearest one he'd produced, but Infinifactory seemed vastly more approachable than the original Zach masterpiece.

The most addicting thing he's created is the solitaire in Shenzhen though.

Zach knows his audience so well. “Make it smaller, make it faster.” That’s all you need to saw and show to make a Zachtonics fan hyped

This looks so much more my thing than TIS and Shenzhen. It looks like the complex Rube Goldberg loops of Spacechem + the different tools of Shenzhen

This seems like a new addition for a Zachtronics game
Rich Story - Intrigues and dark plots swirl around the city’s ancient Houses. Alchemists, who hold the power to create almost anything known to science, are highly sought— and highly dangerous.

I wonder how the story will be presented. Maybe the items you create and who you create them for will reflect the progress of the narrative?

epmode

This seems like a new addition for a Zachtronics game

I wonder how the story will be presented. Maybe the items you create and who you create them for will reflect the progress of the narrative?

That's kinda how SHENZHEN I/O was doing it and it was interesting. Maybe they'll build on it.

Anno

I'm so, so awful at these kind of games but every bit of the little things moving around the board looks enourmously appealing. I'll have to give it a shot.

ultron87

Never played TIS or Shenzen, but Spacechem and Infinifactory were totally my jam. Since this looks in those wheelhouses I'm sure I'll love it. Also, like all these games I'll probably burn out super fast and never master it or beat the campaign, but I'll super enjoy it until that happens. Especially the parts where it is just honing the super simple puzzles down to their fastest/smallest possible variations.

Dinjoralo

Oh no. I'm still stuck on the laser tag scorekeeper in Shenzhen I/O. I love these games but I am not a clever man. The only Zach game I've been able to beat was Infinifactory.

That looks cool as hell though. It's like the most spacechem-ass game since spacechem, right? I think before this, Infinifactory was the nearest one he'd produced, but Infinifactory seemed vastly more approachable than the original Zach masterpiece.

I'm stuck on the Sandwich Maker. I'm sure I'll be able to get past it with enough thought.

I am day-one-ing this. There is nothing like that feeling of working on a puzzle, testing your solution and OH MY GOD IT WORKS AAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA OOOOOOOooh fucking dammit what went wrong
Yes, I do get loud when my solutions work.

Rosur2a

Looks good, don't know if I'll end up buying this, probably wait till a sale (too much else this month and be hard)

Saganator

Thanks for the heads up. I love Zachtronics games! I'm too stupid to finish them, but I do enjoy the parts that I do get through. Even though I can't or won't do all of the puzzles in his games, they have a way of making you feel like a genius when you do complete a puzzle.

Primate_Ryan

Neo Member
Oh yeeeeeeeeeees *orgasms*.

Spacechem is my favourite Zachtronics game (and one of my favourite games ever), and this one looks set to scratch the same itch. I love watching my solutions in motion.

But why release now? I'm currently downing in Switch games and Mario is just around the corner. On the other hand, I'll have quite a bit of free time starting next week.

gngf123

I have enjoyed every single Zachtronics game I've played so far. Absolutely going to play this.

Reminds me a lot of one of their pre-spacechem games I played years ago.

Ah ha, Zach is going back to his roots. The Codex of Alchemical Engineering was the Flash precursor to SpaceChem. You can play it and its much harder expansion here
http://www.zachtronics.com/the-codex-of-alchemical-engineering/
http://www.zachtronics.com/the-magnum-opus-challenge/

Nine years of game development and experience later

Yes! This one.

12 hours to go

Zachtronics is one of the few indie devs where I will buy anything of his as soon as it's available (the others being Supergiant, Jonathan Blow, Inkle, Klei, and Playdead); his games scratch that logical, methodical, creative, free-form puzzle-solving itch that nothing else quite scratches.

The thrill of most puzzle games comes from understanding and applying rules to carefully designed tests. Snakebird, Sausage Roll, Witness, etc are all in that mold.

Zachtronics' games asks you to understand and apply their rules and then asks you to use that knowledge to make your solutions better, smarter, smoother, more efficient. It's more than application, it's about mastery. Which I think is a rare reward for a puzzle game to offer. Toki Tori 2 does that as well, in its own way.

Man I wish I was smart enough to enjoy stuff like this.

Maybe I should try it anyways.
The good thing about Zachtronics puzzlers is that they feel less like rote puzzle solving and more like learning a language (literally in TIS-100 and Shenzhen). Experimentation, improving upon mistakes, testing and improving and trying ideas are all part of the puzzle solving.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The good thing about Zachtronics puzzlers is that they feel less like rote puzzle solving and more like learning a language (literally in TIS-100 and Shenzhen). Experimentation, improving upon mistakes, testing and improving and trying ideas are all part of the puzzle solving.

I tried Spacechem and found it impenetrable, but I didn't give it a fair shake I think. I should try this game.

I tried Spacechem and found it impenetrable, but I didn't give it a fair shake I think. I should try this game.
How far did you get? I found it easier to grasp once I put all aside all the chemistry stuff and just saw it for what it was: a pseudo programming puzzler. Input, output, commands, etc.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
How far did you get? I found it easier to grasp once I put all aside all the chemistry stuff and just saw it for what it was: a pseudo programming puzzler. Input, output, commands, etc.

Gosh it's been so long I can't remember, haha. Not more than a few levels. Now that I have some more indie game programming behind me I bet I can apply what I've learned a bit more into these kinds of games, as weird as that sounds.

Oh wow, incredible, Zachtronics is definitely one of my favourite developers. This looks so beautiful, I love the open-ended nature of their puzzles.

Parsnip

This looks more like SpaceChem and Infinifactory and less like TIS-100 and Shenzen, so I'm in. That is, TIS-100 was too "raw" for me, whereas the layer of abstraction that both SpaceChem and Infinifactory have were perfect for me.

Though I probably won't jump in on early access.

This looks more like SpaceChem and Infinifactory and less like TIS-100 and Shenzen, so I'm in. That is, TIS-100 was too "raw" for me, whereas the layer of abstraction that both SpaceChem and Infinifactory have were perfect for me.

Though I probably won't jump in on early access.
Zachtronics early access means the full game + a few months of polish, improvements, and additions
What is the current state of the Early Access version?

“I was actually tempted to skip Early Access for Opus Magnum, as this is by far the most polished game we’ve ever released as an Early Access title. The game features a fully realized story-driven campaign, and includes a puzzle editor, Steam Workshop integration, and localization into six languages from day one of Early Access.”

Parsnip

Zachtronics early access means the full game + a few months of polish, improvements, and additions

I was early access in Infinifactory and as I recall they added a bunch of QoL stuff before launch I wish I had had when I played it. So I'm waiting this time.

This is the smooth mechanical precision of Factorio + cyclical processes of SpaceChem + device instructions of Shenzhen.

And it has very nice tutorial prologue to ease you in.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm super close to pulling the trigger today instead of waiting for a sale later, even though I haven't finished SpaceChem.

My one concern is that all the puzzles in the trailer looked very same-y. I know SpaceChem also had similar puzzles, but I felt like the backgrounds when things ran were different there at least. Are there different "playing fields" or something to mix the game up visually?

Top Bottom