• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opus Magnum - Zachtronics latest. Coming to Steam 10/19

ymgve

Protip: Even though it says "Win 10 games to continue" in Sigmar's Garden, you can just close the screen and continue playing the actual game. The "Win 10 games" thing seems to only be to get a few extra lines of dialog.

Falk

that puzzling face
It's reasonably clear that it means to continue that piece of dialogue though :V

Meanwhile next in the series of "throw more money at it to make it faster": Voltaic Coil

thekeats

Neo Member
Thanks for the recommendation of trying Spacechem. Turns out I had bought it ages ago along with infinifactory. Loving it so far.

Never wanted a social life anyway.

mercviper

kOS4Yy5.png
kOS4Yy5.png

kOS4Yy5.png
kOS4Yy5.png

That happens to me like 2 out of every 3 games >_>

My current album of solutions https://imgur.com/a/vaatV

They're mostly fast solutions and I try to keep cost and area overhead to a minimum too but I don't try tooo hard. Basically if it looks pretty and efficient I consider it done for now. Will optimize later.

Also will definitely take more leaderboard challengers. Quote for a link to profile.

Falk

that puzzling face
I think my first-pass approach is mostly due to completion time having a definite algorithmic minimum (reagents can only generate so fast) whereas area and cost would take far longer to approach an ideal state.

Definitely going to go back and do them that way after optimizing completion times.

Alastor3

The only learning-code game I have played was Human Ressource Machine

header.jpg

and I got stuck into a certain part where my brain couldn't continue, like part 3 or something

Will I be able to enjoy other Zacktronic games like TIS-100 or SHENZHEN ?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The only learning-code game I have played was Human Ressource Machine

header.jpg

and I got stuck into a certain part where my brain couldn't continue, like part 3 or something

Will I be able to enjoy other Zacktronic games like TIS-100 or SHENZHEN ?

I found it quite similar to those games. TIS is fairly simple to get into and as long as you don’t beat yourself up trying to get the targets for each level you can kind of proceed at our own pace

Falk

that puzzling face
Okay, I just beat the main campaign. "As one of the first players to complete the main campaign of Opus Magnum" I got a URL sending me to an actual store page to buy an actual physical trophy which only ships within the USA.

Nice gesture, thanks, but uh. Yeah. :(

Overall, I'd have to rate this below both Spacechem and Infinifactory. It's still a good game and the levels/mechanics are obviously fresh while I've played those other two to death, but both a rather relatively small amount of content and some rather one-size-fits-all methods of doing certain things (probably again due to the lack of content) makes me sit here feeling rather unfulfilled having finished the campaign.

I'm rather sure from prior experience with community-sourced content that the Journals are just going to be pages and pages of gimmick levels, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Story was neat, albeit also rather short and somewhat predictable and not really going anywhere, with a script that didn't really jump out. Characters feel like nothing more than a vehicle to move you from level to level, which is surprising after how much personality Shenzhen's cast had. It honestly feels like I've finished Arc 1 and two more arcs are missing, or something.

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to be getting my fill and then some but overall, it's hard to recommend at full price over Infinifactory instead for someone looking to jump into Zachtronics.

(Yeah, I'm aware it's Early Access)

Dinjoralo

I kinda feel the same way TBH, even though I haven't beaten this or Shenzhen. Managing to figure out a puzzle in this doesn't feel as satisfying as it does in Shenzhen or Spacechem, but I've also had a lot more fun going back to puzzles to optimize them.

ymgve

Okay, I just beat the main campaign. "As one of the first players to complete the main campaign of Opus Magnum" I got a URL sending me to an actual store page to buy an actual physical trophy which only ships within the USA.

Even though the checkout procedure sucks, Zach will send patches to international players. There was an option for International, and even though you have to enter something USA-like in the address form, you can put your actual address in the note box.

Just picked this up. In a way I'm glad this isn't another another insane programming one. For the Shenzen I/O I ended up writing an actual compiler backend for LLVM so I could just run everything through its optimizer.

I want to keep my sanity this time.

Blizzard

Banned
A patch for today added ctrl-backspace support for deleting names faster (I tried this yesterday and it wasn't there).

In Sigmar's Garden, you can now match salt with salt which should make things even easier.

Makai

giphy.gif

Just picked this up. In a way I'm glad this isn't another another insane programming one. For the Shenzen I/O I ended up writing an actual compiler backend for LLVM so I could just run everything through its optimizer.

I want to keep my sanity this time.
Wow

Falk

that puzzling face
So here's some hardcore theorycrafting.

Completion time is essentially the time it takes for creating one product, multiplied by the number of products (generally 6), and then with an overhead of how long it takes for the last reagent in a product to get from generation to when it's dropped off in the product area.

In other words, if

Code:
time to make one product = Tp
# products = N
cycles for last product to complete = Tl

completion time = (Tp * N) + Tl

Tp is optimizable simply based on how fast Reagents can generate output, which is hard-capped at two cycles per reagent. (one cycle for an arm to grab, another cycle for that arm to move away)

Tl is optimizable based on these factors:
- moving a reagent to any function (bond, unbond, transmutation, product goal) is one cycle
- changing arms delays by one cycle since you cannot release with one and attach with another in the same cycle, it throws an error you cannot grab an element on the same turn it moves into a tile or is generated. edit: Corrected this statement.

Therefore to optimize Tl, the absolute last reagent in a product should always have each cycle after it's generated contributing something to the assembly of the product with no wasted moves. This is most simply done by having one arm carry that last reagent from start to finish, but other solutions exist.

To demonstrate, here's Hangover Cure

In Hangover Cure, since each product requies the reagent to output three times, Tp = 2*3 = 6. The last reagant in each product takes 3 cycles (calcification, bonding, goal), or Tl = 3

Cycle completion time hence is (6 * 6) + 3, or 39.

It should theoretically be possible with a more elaborate setup to have the last reagant be the middle Elemental Water, reducing Tl to 2 (bonding, goal) and an optimized time of 38.

And here's Airship Fuel

Since the Product requires 4 elements and we have 3 generators, the calculation gets a little more complex. The solution relies on grouping 3 products together (12 elements needed) and since 3 reagents take 8 cycles to generate that, we end up with Tp = 8 and N = 2

Tl is 3 cycles, similar to the solution for Hangover Cure. HOWEVER, due to a collision in sending finished Products to the goal, the last one has to be delayed for 1 cycle, hence the final cycle count is (8 * 2) + 3 + 1, or 20.

It should theoretically be possible to create a far more complicated setup where the last three reagents generated complete one product instead of two, eliminating that collision, but I don't think I really even want to begin to fathom how that'd work.

edit: I'm noticing a bug in the GIF generation in Airship Fuel, heh.

edit2:

It should theoretically be possible with a more elaborate setup to have the last reagant be the middle Elemental Water, reducing Tl to 2 (bonding, goal) and an optimized time of 38.

a more elaborate setup

elaborate

kOS4Yy5.png

edit3: Found this 19 cycle Airship Fuel solution on Reddit

insert another pokerface here

In Hangover Cure, since each product requies the reagent to output three times, Tp = 2*3 = 6. The last reagant in each product takes 3 cycles (calcification, bonding, goal), or Tl = 3

You inspired me. My 38 hangover cure.

4y59pQA.gif

It was actually extremely simple. I don't want to know what optimization would look like for actually hard puzzles though.

Dinjoralo

I kinda wish I could figure out how the game renders the metal atoms, so I could make a pretty looking Gold icon. The game's art is seriously impressive for how it makes everything look so 3 dimensional with nothing but clever sprite blending.

undu

I didn't think I was doing anything special

P6QCDfN.gif

I'm having a hard time with later problems, actually

Top Bottom