• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming February 2016 | Crashlands Bandicoot

Huge freebie alert for shmup fans! Deathsmiles is free (from $11.99):

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/deathsmiles/id429870273?mt=8

There are some IAPs but the game hasn't been updated in over a year so I don't think it's move to freemium.

Edit: Should note that this is a fairly old game (but it's Cave so it's excellent) and is not universal. It's free to celebrate the release of the game on Steam.

Great find, thanks.

Is this the right place to ask about GAF recommend atv controller? As in, which is best?

nampad

Great find, thanks.

Is this the right place to ask about GAF recommend atv controller? As in, which is best?

There is a mFI thread but that one isn't really well visited: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=870329

I bought a mFI controller shortly before christmas and did some extensive research about it (afterpad.com is the best site for that and mFI supported games). From what I have gathered, the Steelseries Nimbus is the best for PS style analog sticks positioning and the PXN Speedy the best for Xbox style analog sticks positioning.

I own the latter and it is a good controller. My impressions:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=192575658&postcount=366

There is a mFI thread but that one isn't really well visited: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=870329

I bought a mFI controller shortly before christmas and did some extensive research about it (afterpad.com is the best site for that and mFI supported games). From what I have gathered, the Steelseries Nimbus is the best for PS style analog sticks positioning and the PXN Speedy the best for Xbox style analog sticks positioning.

I own the latter and it is a good controller. My impressions:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=192575658&postcount=366

Thanks!

Voidance

I am still wondering why we haven't got the Garden Warfare iOS port. They had that Metal presentation and then it was never heard of again. Would have been perfect for the platform because kids love that game and mobile seems like their platform of choice.
I remember seeing that demo. I wonder why it's not been released, as PvZ was one of the best games to own on the iPad back in the day. Maybe PvZ 2 didn't meet expectations to bring GW over. Beats me.

Just bought AG Drive. Feel ripped off. So very average. Doesn't feel like you are hovering at all and the controls are really quite wooden. I'm playing on Apple TV with an MFi controller.

Anybody tried Go Rally? Maybe I'll have better luck there.

nampad

Just bought AG Drive. Feel ripped off. So very average. Doesn't feel like you are hovering at all and the controls are really quite wooden. I'm playing on Apple TV with an MFi controller.

Anybody tried Go Rally? Maybe I'll have better luck there.

Thanks for the impression, nearly bought it myself these past days.

awp69

IMO Repulze is still the best Wipeout-style game on mobile

Have to agree. AG Drive looks pretty but IMO got boring after a while. Repulze just has so much more going on in it and feels more intense.

The whole toolkit thing to get better weapons, etc. was the only thing that annoyed me a bit. I always kinda sucked at getting them and would have preferred a more standard progression. But still, it's way more fun overall than AG Drive.

I'd still like to get a full combat style Wipeout game on iOS. The Flashout games tried but aren't that great.

Thanks for the impression, nearly bought it myself these past days.
Gave it 2 hours of solid play.

It feels a bit better when it's faster. But I've literally only lost 2 out of over 50 races. Feels half finished, unbalanced, boring.

Looks great at 60fps but is quite lacking in depth.

I'd try Repulze but I'm playing on Apple TV.

nampad

Played more of Assassin's Creed and the game just gets more annoying.
The game is clearly not finished as the 2nd campaign is shown as "not available yet" and you only unlock all the options etc. to the end of the game.

I dare Ubisoft to make the campaign an IAP when the campaign we got so far is just a joke and can be finished quite fast...if they didn't artificially stretch it by making you go through side missions. To the end, you don't have enough XP to unlock the campaign missions and have to do even more cumbersome side missions. Heck, I did nearly all extra quests so I should have enough XP (1 I couldn't finish because it is somehow bugged or the game doesn't exactly tell you what it wants you to do).

Anyway, my plan was to finish up the game today which I nearly did before it crashed on me again. I guess my Iphone 6 is overheating because it had some framerate issues before it again and it feels warm.

Just some XP grind and one more campaign level and I have finished it. I really can't recommend everybody NOT getting this game.

Have to agree. AG Drive looks pretty but IMO got boring after a while. Repulze just has so much more going on in it and feels more intense.

The whole toolkit thing to get better weapons, etc. was the only thing that annoyed me a bit. I always kinda sucked at getting them and would have preferred a more standard progression. But still, it's way more fun overall than AG Drive.

I'd still like to get a full combat style Wipeout game on iOS. The Flashout games tried but aren't that great.

Gave it 2 hours of solid play.

It feels a bit better when it's faster. But I've literally only lost 2 out of over 50 races. Feels half finished, unbalanced, boring.

Looks great at 60fps but is quite lacking in depth.

I'd try Repulze but I'm playing on Apple TV.

Have to admit the graphics part was the main reason the game interested me. If AG Drive would have had weapons, I would have bought it right away. They are just a big part of what make futuristic racers fun for me.

I guess I should just stop buying games for their graphics and mFI support and go back to the more innovative/novel games. There are just not many quality traditional experiences out there yet.

awp69

I'm at 2-10 before the fire golem, I have already 3 starred everything but some high score achievement (which are the hardest).
But I need to unlock a new weapon to progress, and damn I can't...those scores are super hard...you have to be very creative and spam combos one after the other.
Level design is just superb...today I played like 6 hours straight.

It's damn hard tough...and damn fun.

Was just coming to post how incredible some of the level design is. I'm struggling with 2-5 right now which is just insane.

PittaGAF

Was just coming to post how incredible some of the level design is. I'm struggling with 2-5 right now which is just insane.

I finally unlocked VOLCANO weapon....MWAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

What I didn't know and I like a lot is that generally (me anyway) you play a level till you star it (1,2 or fully 3 star) then you go on.
Then you hit a 'wall' or your weapons are inadequate for the task (the game warns you), so you go back, and try hard to 3 star it or, even better, to get the top score achievement, which is the hardest but grants you a big leap in the progression bar.
And the levels feel totally different so, you find new routes, you activate switches you didn't care before to or try all the best places for combos.
In this, stages length really help...you will die a lot but levels are relatively fast.
And then you unlock a new power or weapon....and levels that seemed impossibile minutes ago now are manageable (there is nothing easy in this game).

At first I thought the dev said the game is hardcore because in the very beginning I thought it was really hard.

LOL....I knew nothing....

The levels with ice or wooden structures are insane.

Matt Frost

It's a little disappointing to be honest - the Futurama branding adds nothing to the game. It's very generic.

So far, agree... and the dialogue doesnt seem to be that great, too many bad words so far... I recall them using a more subtle approach in that sense... a little meh right now.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
got a flight this coming weekend - any good releases this week?

i was toying with getting The Wolf Among Us but i feel like that'll be better on the big screen. any other similarly easy adventure games on iOS i should look for (played all the TT ones)

got a flight this coming weekend - any good releases this week?

i was toying with getting The Wolf Among Us but i feel like that'll be better on the big screen. any other similarly easy adventure games on iOS i should look for (played all the TT ones)
The Silent Age is a solid point-n-click game, as are Machinarium and Botanicula. Those are all traditional adventure games rather than TT style

Matt Frost

The Silent Age is a solid point-n-click game, as are Machinarium and Botanicula. Those are all traditional adventure games rather than TT style

Machinarium gets my vote... I LOVE that game, so amazing, so complex, so good. Is like gaming in the 90's again... so good.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
played and loved Machinarium when it came out

i'm looking for something breezier, like a TT game. maybe i'll just finally watch Mr Robot on my phone.

Heel

Speaking of, The Silent Age got a big update recently. Graphics overhaul and voice acting, if I remember right.

I really need to get around to playing episode 2. First episode is great.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Speaking of, The Silent Age got a big update recently. Graphics overhaul and voice acting, if I remember right.

I really need to get around to playing episode 2. First episode is great.

Didn't like the VO personally, and the new new HD graphics (not the prior retina HD update) weren't perceptible on phones. I think it was mainly due to the new iPad Pro.

Episode 2 was great, though the ending left me a bit underwhelmed. Interested in what the studio does next though!

heringer

Have you guys played Templar Battleforce RPG? Didn't know about this but discovered that people on Steam love it. Got quite good reviews on iOS too. Considering buying it.

Matt Frost

played and loved Machinarium when it came out

i'm looking for something breezier, like a TT game. maybe i'll just finally watch Mr Robot on my phone.

Sorry I never played a TT game. Had to Google it though... Sorry

Last call for March title suggestions

Right now I'm going with Tunesmith's | Your backlog grows in tiny bits

Tunesmith´s suggestion is great. And very accordingly right now. The avalanche of iOS games has come to a pause lately and that title fits it perfectly.

awp69

Have you guys played Templar Battleforce RPG? Didn't know about this but discovered that people on Steam love it. Got quite good reviews on iOS too. Considering buying it.

It's very good. If you've played Deathwatch, it's a bit like that but with more story and more RPG aspects. I'd certainly recommend it.

Heard from various sites that the iOS port is solid and the gameplay is deeper than most other strategy games on mobile. Biggest complaint though seems to be the art, either you won't mind it or you end up hating it so some research is probably needed before buying.

heringer

It's very good. If you've played Deathwatch, it's a bit like that but with more story and more RPG aspects. I'd certainly recommend it.
Deathwatch with more story and RPG elements sounds excellent to me.

Though I just saw that it's $10. I'll probably wait a bit before biting.

Heard from various sites that the iOS port is solid and the gameplay is deeper than most other strategy games on mobile. Biggest complaint though seems to be the art, either you won't mind it or you end up hating it so some research is probably needed before buying.

The art is a little bit on the budget side but it doesn't bother me too much considering Tactics Maiden is my favorite tactics game on iOS. :p

nampad

Finished the first (and so far only released) Assassin's Creed: Identity campaign.

I have already mentioned my opinion before but I have to add how poorly the mFI support was done. It is some time ago I have played an AC game but I remember the controls being a bit different. I don't understand, why they didn't put the full blown controls into the mFI support, or at least what fit the gameplay.

We know the game was intended to be F2P at its conception. The game still shows it with all the points/coins system and its shop. Considering the game went on to be a paid one and the content is really lacking, the F2P feel of the game is just outrageous.

awp69

Deathwatch with more story and RPG elements sounds excellent to me.

Though I just saw that it's $10. I'll probably wait a bit before biting.

The main thing Deathwatch has over it is the amazing atmosphere, music and sound effects that give that overall sense of dread. But Templar Battleforce is quite a bit deeper as an RPG.

I really need to put more time into it myself.

Too many games!!!

Finally got my hands on Lost Socks. Yeah, this is good. Really good. Definitely going to need to do an OT for it

Title I'm thinking of atm:

Lost Socks |OT| Earthworm Gym(socks) [Gorgeous run-n-gun, iOS, $_.99]

Voidance

You guys and your Lost Socks hype make it hard to wait until release for those of us without promo codes. This definitely seems like the perfect game to play during my lunch break at work. Wednesday night/Thursday can't come soon enough.

awp69

Finally got my hands on Lost Socks. Yeah, this is good. Really good. Definitely going to need to do an OT for it

Title I'm thinking of atm:

Lost Socks |OT| Earthworm Gym(socks) [Gorgeous run-n-gun, iOS, $_.99]

Sounds good. You know, Earthworm Jim was what I really had in the back of my mind while playing this over Rayman. Kind of a blend of both in auto runner form.

Top Bottom