• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orange is the New Black S5 |OT| New blood. New rules - Netflix June 9th

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
aIGKzGq.jpg

Orange Is the New Black is an award winning comedy-drama Netflix series which takes place in a women's prison.

Release date: Hits Netflix on June 9th.

Spoilers: For two weeks, you are to spoiler tag your post/discussions, while also labeling your post with the episode you are discussing (i.e. episode 3:
I still can't believe Poussey is gone :(.
)

Links:

Cast:
RK3lPTl.jpg

Taylor Schilling as Piper, Kate Mulgrew as Red, Michael Harney as Sam Healy

BZgbocl.jpg

Danielle Brooks as Taystee, Uzo Aduba as Crazy Eyes, Laura Prepon as Alex Vause

KHVyhgj.jpg

Jackie Cruz as Flaca, Yael Stone as Loran Morello, Nick Sandow as Jeo Caputo

iI0E0AQ.jpg

Natasha Lyonne as Nicky, Selenis Leyva as Gloria Mendoza, Taryn Manning as Pennsatucky

URHo2wA.jpg

Diane Guerrero as Maritza Ramos, Lea DeLaria as Big Boo, Beth Fowler as Sister Jane Ingalls

rysSoFK.jpg

Laverne Cox as Sophia Burset, Constance Shulman as Yoga Jones, Annie Golden as Norma Romano

dCeRa7n.jpg

Lori Petty as Lolly Whitehill, Jolene Purdy, Rosal Colón

7EOMANx.jpg

Brad William Henke, Mike Houston, Kelly Karbacz

VhigQCN.jpg

Adrienne Moore as Black Cindy, Dascha Polanco as Daya

Reviews:

• Indiewire:
    It’s official: “Orange is the New Black” is never allowed to call itself a comedy, ever again.

And Season 5, we knew in advance, would be quite different from past years because of the choice to decompress the storytelling: While normally a season of “Orange” would take place over the course of several weeks, this season was almost told in real time, with the 13 episodes taking place over the course of about days.

It’s a choice that does elevate this season and give it new focus and directive, which has been lacking in last years — Seasons 3 and 4 were extremely watchable, but did feel a bit meandering from time to time.

Promo photos:

Dysun

Season 4 gave me renewed interest in the show after 3 was a bit of a dud. Hope they maintain that this season.

Dishwalla

Banned
I only watched the first episode from the leak(I decided I could wait for the actual release), but it was a good first episode.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I guess I'm in. I want to see how this storytelling change pays off for them. Sounds like a risky creative decision.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
THR:

After watching 10 of the first 13 episodes of the fifth season, one can surely give Kohan and Orange Is the New Black credit for refusing to play it safe. The fifth season deviates wildly from what came before it in terms of episodic rhythms, overall narrative urgency and tonal pitch. In some cases, the heightened stakes of the season help deliver some of the show's best performances yet and beats of staggering emotion. In other cases, a series that has reliably been careful to treat even the ugliest behavior with nuance pushes to such extremes that it threatens to undermine a lot of what came before.

TV:

The first season of Orange Is the New Black made a great case for Netflix's (then-pioneering) binge-watching model, with high-quality episodes designed to be devoured one after another in a single sitting, over multiple hours. But that model comes back to bite Orange in Season 5, which would benefit greatly from a one-episode-a-week release schedule. Viewers wouldn't need to worry about forgetting what happened in the previous week's installment because, well, not much does. All the previous seasons of Orange took place over weeks, if not months, and that has worked extremely well for the show and the story it's trying to tell. It turns out that 13 hours is too much time to cover the events of just three days inside Litchfield, even when there's a riot going on.

Even the flashbacks don't work as well as they have in previous seasons. Rather than being inserted seamlessly into the present-day storyline, the Season 5 flashbacks arrive with a clunk and then don't really go anywhere. The most interesting one, the back story of Muslim inmate Allison (Amanda Stephen), is a rare bright spot in an otherwise yawn-worthy episode.

And for the first time, Orange seems to struggle with finding a consistent tone. The show has always, infamously, toed the line between being a comedy and a drama; anyone would agree it's difficult to find things uproariously funny in prison. But previous seasons deftly navigated the bridge between tragedy and humor. This season, the attempts at comedy seem forced and fall flat, especially in the immediate aftermath of the riot and Poussey's suffocation.

RedHill

Banned
I watched episode 1 and it's one of my favorite episodes ever. There's a very apparent sense of urgency that brings it to new heights. I hope it keeps up throughout.

LotusHD

Banned
Almost forgot about this season lol

EDIT: Episode 3:
Why the hell did they give Linda (MCC woman) of all people a flashback lmao

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Episode 1 was really good. But by Episode 3 I can already feel some major pacing issues coming up.

- J - D -

I was expecting more people to post in the thread. It seems like this season might be pretty good!

I think it's because many already saw it most of the season when it leaked.

In any case, I'm excited to jump in. The cliffhanger at the end of the last season was so good.

Oddduck

In an interesting, intentional way or in an inadvertent awkward way?

I haven't watch it yet, but the reviews make it sound like it's a very disturbing season.

Indiewire, Variety, and Telegraph compare some of the scenes to a horror film.

PixelatedBookake

The decision to (full season "spoilers")
make the riot the entire season seems incredibly ill-advised

Bruh WHAT. I'm already growing tired of
the riot
and I haven't even finished the first episode but to know it's
lasting the ENTIRE season
? Come on...

LotusHD

Banned
where? I'm on 7 now and it's standard stuff so far.

Well for one, the guards being forced to do a talent show against their will at gunpoint. Judy King temporarily being a slave, being carried around on a leash. Making them strip in front of all the inmates, with one of the guards having his "privacy invaded". Stuff like that.

Also it's uhh, inherently disturbing to be in a situation where a bunch of inmates, many of whom are volatile, are the ones controlling the entire prison, while all the guards/officials are being held hostage lol

Sunster

Well for one, the guards being forced to do a talent show against their will at gunpoint. Judy King temporarily being a slave, being carried around on a leash. Making them strip in front of all the inmates, with one of the guards having his "privacy invaded". Stuff like that.

Also it's uhh, inherently disturbing to be in a situation where a bunch of inmates, many of whom are volatile, are the ones controlling the entire prison, while all the guards/officials are being held hostage lol

I guess since the guards were painted as unsympathetic I just don't empathize with them really. I know that's fucked up because if the roles were reversed I'd be outraged.
Like that Futurama episode where Fry, Zap and the alien get raped like 100 times each.
Super messed up now that I think about it. But as I was watching it I was just like, "Lol y'all wild"

LotusHD

Banned
I guess since the guards were painted as unsympathetic I just don't empathize with them really. I know that's fucked up because if the roles were reversed I'd be outraged.
Like that Futurama episode where Fry, Zap and the alien get raped like 100 times each.
Super messed up now that I think about it. But as I was watching it I was just like, "Lol y'all wild"

Not all the guards are bad people tho, I don't recall the lady or the black dude in particular doing anything wrong, much less on the level of the other guards. I mean,
none of them deserve all this outside of Humps and Coates really imo

Top Bottom