• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps E3 trailer

Jhn

I think this has single-handedly sold me on getting an xbone.

I've always been interested in the first game, but have ignored it since it wasn't on any of my platforms.
Now, I have literally no context to anything that happened in that trailer. I don't understand anything. And despite that, it manages to be one of most hauntingly beautiful things I've ever seen. And the music... Holy shit.

I think this has single-handedly sold me on getting an xbone.

I've always been interested in the first game, but have ignored it since it wasn't on any of my platforms.
Now, I have literally no context to anything that happened in that trailer. I don't understand anything. And despite that, it manages to be one of most hauntingly beautiful things I've ever seen. And the music... Holy shit.

Thank you for the kind words :) We're trying to ensure that even if you haven't played Blind Forest yet, you can jump into Will of the Wisps and have a great experience :)

Thank you for the kind words :) We're trying to ensure that even if you haven't played Blind Forest yet, you can jump into Will of the Wisps and have a great experience :)

That being said, he/she absolutely must play Blind Forest. Everyone should. It should also be included as learning material in game design degree programs.

Am I gushing again? Shit, yeah I'm gushing.

RoKKeR

One of the things I'm most curious about is the scope of this game. Will it be similar to the first, or will there be a substantial step up? This game now has presumably even more backing from MS, a solid fanbase, and is riding off of the success of the first... definitely wouldn't surprise me if they up the ante quite a bit. Hell, I wonder if they target a higher price point.

So excited to learn more. Might need to hit up another playthrough of the original soon.

One of the things I'm most curious about is the scope of this game. Will it be similar to the first, or will there be a substantial step up? This game now has presumably even more backing from MS, a solid fanbase, and is riding off of the success of the first... definitely wouldn't surprise me if they up the ante quite a bit. Hell, I wonder if they target a higher price point.

So excited to learn more. Might need to hit up another playthrough of the original soon.

It deserves a full $59.99 retail price point even of digital only. But because gamers have become such cheap bastards, I doubt they'll go higher than a $30-40 digital release, wih maybe a slightly more expensive retail collector's edition.

Love the speculation that's already going on in this thread - rest assured that our team reads all this stuff, so any suggestions or feedback you might have on things you'd like to see, feel free to post here about it! :)

I'm not yet allowed to talk about a lot of the things we're doing with Will of the Wisps, but rest assured that we definitely listen. We made the Definitive Edition of Blind Forest cause some of you raised your voice, so this time it's really about blowing the gates wide open and welcoming everyone back into the Ori universe with a huge bang. If you even have the slightest inkling of an interest in Platformers, Metroidvanias or 2d games... I think we got you covered with Will of the Wisps, hehe! :)

Dear MR. THOMAS MAHLER

When and how can I buy Ori plushies?!?

And will you ship outisde US?

I bought 2x Machinarium plushies in Czech Republic and they are awesome. I need the Ori ones as well:

https://merch.amanita-design.net/collections/machinarium/products/berta-josef-from-machinarium

beztytuulfuls.png

Just saw the trailer again in the Daily show 2 on demand and Jesus man I got goosebumps all over because of the combination of music and what goes on in that trailer. Amazing stuff.

That part at the end with the little owl and in the background you see all these dead birds or statues, not sure what it is. Really wonder what this all means.

Fantastic how everything moves in the background too. Man I was hoping for a Spring 2018 release but this probably is after E3 next year if I'm gonna guess.

Goalus

This game S2

Don't even need to hear about it anymore, I know that whenever it launches it will be amazing.

No it's not a threat. A lot of what's said in this article is bullshit, or has been addressed.

"No Exclusive Fullscreen Mode"
It was only an issue because some applications detect exclusive full screen to work, like for instance gsync. The compatibility woes has been solved.

"Lack of interoperability"
This was just a lie from day 1. Injection worked right away, the only "trick" is that uwps require a different method of retrieving the application to inject. It's simply a matter of the tools updating to support this, not any kind of block

"Modding Restrictions"
Already solved by the community. Even the file integrity checks are a solved problem (Not sure about modifying the executable, but I think even that can be done for some games)

Injection mods are the same as above, just need to change how they acquire the app process to inject.

"Ecosystem Drawbacks"
They mention stealink and no drm from gog. One is a feature anyone can develop an app for, and the other is a characteristic not of platform. Steam also has some drm.

They also bullshit about certification, again, that's a store process, not something required with uwp.

"A more holistic view" and "History and Context" are complete bullshit not worth mentioning.

"Potential consequences and the future"
This is also false. Most of the installers (installshield for instance) which are used to install win32 applications already support uwp, you can create a installer to distribute every where you want, and anyone is free to integrate like those installer did to their store (for instance steam might integrate uwp on their own installer making no difference to the user on how they install their games.

Apps that do so even have the platform benefits Ms added to uwp, such as streaming install (think of Ps4 playing games when installing from the disc), automatic updates, A/B testing for new features and some more. And this was added to the app model, available to any uwp even those you install from outside of the store (yes, you can simply download a uwp from a web site, install, and have it always updated)

So no, UWP is not a cancer, it's not against what PC gaming should be about, not anti consumer in the slightest (someone should create a law about this word btw)... It's just a simple new format that is receiving great new features such as the ones I mentioned above as platform features usable for all developers and are made in a standardized way.

Great post.

I would actually love to see Ori staying exclusive to Xbox and Windows Store just to get an even bigger whine-fest than the one already going on in this thread, I love reading these.

On topic: Ori is easily and by far my game of the show, what a shiver-inducing moment!

@Thomas I'll get around to writing a more detailed feedback post, but one thing I want to address specifically about the first game is the combat.

I love how Ori feels from Ginso Tree on. You have charge flame, bash and most likely a faster spirit flame attack, so you can start chaining combos for some creative combat. It gets even better from then onwards, but early on I feel like I'm just standing still with my back to the enemy while I spam a few spirit flames at them until they die. It wasn't particularly compelling, and is exacerbated by the somewhat repetitive AI behaviors.

I think for the second game, you should give players the Charge Flame from the onset and make the enemy behavior a little more erratic. While I'm sure the combat of Ori isn't the main draw of the game, I absolutely adore it and I'd like to see a bit more depth in that department. Perhaps you've already made some improvements in that area.

FoxSpirit

Awesome trailer! But I won't let myself be forced into Win10 just for a game, unfortunately :-\

Would be sad to let this pass by me but Win10 has some troublesome practices baked in my MS that I don't wanna support. Best of luck with the game still.

ArjanN

@Thomas I'll get around to writing a more detailed feedback post, but one thing I want to address specifically about the first game is the combat.

I love how Ori feels from Ginso Tree on. You have charge flame, bash and most likely a faster spirit flame attack, so you can start chaining combos for some creative combat. It gets even better from then onwards, but early on I feel like I'm just standing still with my back to the enemy while I spam a few spirit flames at them until they die. It wasn't particularly compelling, and is exacerbated by the somewhat repetitive AI behaviors.

I think for the second game, you should give players the Charge Flame from the onset and make the enemy behavior a little more erratic. While I'm sure the combat of Ori isn't the main draw of the game, I absolutely adore it and I'd like to see a bit more depth in that department. Perhaps you've already made some improvements in that area.

I felt the combat is a little spammy early on but I found that once you get the bash ability every enemy and projectile effectively becomes a springboard anyway and there's isn't even that much reason to fight anything.

This game S2

Don't even need to hear about it anymore, I know that whenever it launches it will be amazing.

No it's not a threat. A lot of what's said in this article is bullshit, or has been addressed.

*snip*

While calling it a threat to the industry or something is pretty hyperbolic, the win 10 store is still pretty undeniably bad compared to Steam and it's pretty obvious anything on there is only getting a faction of the sales. I personally am definitely waiting for Ori 2 to hit Steam. Hoping it doersn't take too long.

Wow. This looks AMAZING. That depth of field and those animations on EVERYTHING.

Thank you and your team Thomas. i need to finish Blind Forest lol

gamz

Awesome trailer! But I won't let myself be forced into Win10 just for a game, unfortunately :-

Would be sad to let this pass by me but Win10 has some troublesome practices baked in my MS that I don't wanna support. Best of luck with the game still.

Your concern is noted. Jesus...

Guys, thanks so much for all the kind words in here. We've been working super hard at Moon on Will of the Wisps for quite a while now and it's always such a good feeling to see that your art resonated with someone - It's this constant journey, trying to make you guys happy and I hope you'll love all the new stuff we're doing as much as we do :)

Our team back home reads all of this here and it's really good for motivation to see all this positivity - Appreciate it, you guys rock :)

gamz

Guys, thanks so much for all the kind words in here. We've been working super hard at Moon on Will of the Wisps for quite a while now and it's always such a good feeling to see that your art resonated with someone - It's this constant journey, trying to make you guys happy and I hope you'll love all the new stuff we're doing as much as we do :)

Our team back home reads all of this here and it's really good for motivation to see all this positivity - Appreciate it, you guys rock :)

Thomas is Ori going to get a Xbox One X patch? I'm sure it is, but just wanted to ask.

Thank you in advance.

yyr

Thomas is Ori going to get a Xbox One X patch? I'm sure it is, but just wanted to ask.

Thank you in advance.

You mean the first Ori, don't you? Interesting question, and I'd be interested to know as well =) Not expecting it, but I'd welcome it.

Jhn

That's cool!
But I'm definitely getting blind forest as well. Have been looking forward to playing it for years, so of course I'm getting that too!

Stellar work. Game of the show.

TM94

Ori is in my top 3 of this generation and Xbox's best exclusive title.

Stunning trailer, and I can't wait to play it.

You mean the first Ori, don't you? Interesting question, and I'd be interested to know as well =) Not expecting it, but I'd welcome it.

But why wouldn't you expect it? It's a first party game and was/is very important for the Xbox One and man...i want to see that goodness in 4K for damn sure!

By the way, on another forum i read that Thomas had apparently here said Ori 2 would be coming out soon, unless i missed his comment...he didn't say that?

RoKKeR

Keep up the good work! It's great that you (and the rest of the team lurking) pop buy to discuss/absorb feedback. Will be revisiting the first game soon in preparation for this. Hard to come up with thoughts on how to improve for the sequel because the first game set such a high bar, but I'm sure you guys have been working to do that for quite some time now!

lazerfox

Thank you in advance.

Considering the small team size I really doubt it.

I'd actually prefer if they focus their resources to making Will of the Wisps the GOTY of 2018!

bumpkin

Man, every time I see something new from you guys, I am completely and utterly blown away at the artwork. Seeing it alive and moving makes it even more insane to me. I have been trying to get a 2D game project off of the ground for a year or so, and looking at games as beautiful as Ori's make me seriously question the point. lol. Mine will never look that astonishing!

I don't understand how you guys get a game in Unity to look and run so well. I'm always hearing how inefficient it performs.

This is one of the most visually striking games at the show.. and I mean all of E3, not just Microsoft's stage. The composer playing the piano to the trailer too... sooo good! The first game was my game of the year 2015, and this one looks like it will be every bit as awesome. Can't wait.

MoogleMan

I would actually love to see Ori staying exclusive to Xbox and Windows Store just to get an even bigger whine-fest than the one already going on in this thread, I love reading these.

So you take pleasure in the plight of others?
You'll get far in life.

I'm so freaking hyped for this. LOVED the first one so much, and am looking forward to what they do next.

It deserves a full $59.99 retail price point even of digital only. But because gamers have become such cheap bastards, I doubt they'll go higher than a $30-40 digital release, wih maybe a slightly more expensive retail collector's edition.
I got an incredible amount of value out of the first one, more than I do from most $59.99 games. I would have payed more than I did for it, but appreciated them offering it for less. I was happy to double dip on the definitive edition, they deserve it.

This game looks perfect. Damn perfect.

I have unreasonably high standards and I gave the first game a 10, but I might have to drop it down to 9 if this game ends up surpassing it. I don't think there's a better example of gameplay, art, story and music synergy.

I'm so freaking hyped for this. LOVED the first one so much, and am looking forward to what they do next.

I got an incredible amount of value out of the first one, more than I do from most $59.99 games. I would have payed more than I did for it, but appreciated them offering it for less. I was happy to double dip on the definitive edition, they deserve it.

Aw, dude, we love you too! :)

Met a crazy fan here who drove 100 miles for the random chance to find one of us at E3 just to sign the Ori Vinyl he brought - So we're sending him a whole gift package back. Ori fans are the best, makes all the late hours worth it :D

gamz

Met a crazy fan here who drove 100 miles for the random chance to find one of us at E3 just to sign the Ori Vinyl he brought - So we're sending him a whole gift package back. Ori fans are the best, makes all the late hours worth it :D

I also just want to say my kids have probably watched the opening of the first Ori at least 20 times and they also love the trailer from E3. I guess what I'm getting at is when is Ori: The Movie coming out? I'm being serious!

That's awesome. So far I've only run into Daniel Smith at E3 but I've still got my eyes peeled for anyone else in an Ori shirt on the show floor.

Haha, they wouldn't let me on the show floor today cause I forgot my photo id (don't have a drivers license, lol), but if you PM me I'll make sure to be there tomorrow to sign stuff for you if you want :) And I'll wear one of the dope-as-hell Ori hoodies :D

wouwie

The lack of gameplay shown makes me think the game is still far off release wise?

Anyhow, the trailer looked fantastic. The first game was stellar so this new game could easily turn out to be one of my favourite games ever.

The first game never ran super smooth on my laptop (had to lower resolution and even then it had some framerate issues). I just bought a new pc (not a super powerful gaming pc though) so i will most probably replay the first game (again...). I also hope this new game will run decently when it comes out.

In short, best game of E3 (although there wasn't any gameplay to be seen) and my most anticipated game at this point.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Thomas, I doubt you have concrete spec requirements, but if I could run Blind Forest on my PC any chance I'll be able to run this on the same PC? Dunno if you had any goals like that in mind during initial planning?

If an Xbox One runs Ori and Ori 2 without a spec change, why would your PC not do the same?

Novocaine

The excitement for a sequel gave me an itch to 100% Blind Forest again. Still amazing.

Say Thomas, will the new game rip our hearts into pieces 5 minutes in as well?

Keinning

So you take pleasure in the plight of others?
You'll get far in life.

I don't. It's still funny to see how criminal xbox exclusives are though when other console exclusives are always so praised and used as positives. Microsoft simply isn't allowed to have any exclusive at all without being anti-consumer, shady, throwing money to stop other platforms from enjoying games and etcetera.

Detective

I bought the original and the definitive edition.
Moon studio deserve all the success for creating such an amazing game and art.

Easily my best game this generation.

I made a friend buy one yesterday :D

I can't for it, Thank you Thomas and Co for such an incredible game and amazing feeling you have given us really.

I bought the original and the definitive edition.
Moon studio deserve all the success for creating such an amazing game and art.

Easily my best game this generation.

I made a friend buy one yesterday :D

I can't for it, Thank you Thomas and Co for such an incredible game and amazing feeling you have given us really.

Hey, thanks for supporting us :) We promise we'll try our hardest to make you happy with Will of the Wisps! :)

Top Bottom