• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps E3 trailer

Hey, thanks for supporting us :) We promise we'll try our hardest to make you happy with Will of the Wisps! :)

Any chance you guys can do some behind the scenes stuff? like for the soundtrack especially, it'd be cool to see how the main theme was written, or perhaps what your thought process is behind deciding a color palette for each level. All of that stuff is very fascinating to me at least.

Any chance you guys can do some behind the scenes stuff? like for the soundtrack especially, it'd be cool to see how the main theme was written, or perhaps what your thought process is behind deciding a color palette for each level. All of that stuff is very fascinating to me at least.

I think Gareth is posting here on GAF as well, I'll ask him if we can dive a bit deeper here for you guys :)

lt519

If an Xbox One runs Ori and Ori 2 without a spec change, why would your PC not do the same?

Dunno, maybe they are utilizing more of the resources in the One than last time? They released Ori 1 early in the life cycle and I think there was actually a 360 version planned before it got cancelled so their original target specs may have been lower than Ori 2. So if they ramp it up, my PC could be in trouble. It'd be nice if Thomas could drop a hint (;

I imagine it'll be fine, but it could push whether I go hunting for S deals the next few months in preparation.

fourteentoone

Neo Member

I can only speak for the music side, but I'll be doing a lot better job documenting the process this time around, as it's something I've started doing on my other projects.

Though a quick answer to your 'how the main theme was written?' - I wrote a bunch of melodies, most of them kinda sucked, and then we eventually landed on that one XD

SOR5

I can only speak for the music side, but I'll be doing a lot better job documenting the process this time around, as it's something I've started doing on my other projects.

Though a quick answer to your 'how the main theme was written?' - I wrote a bunch of melodies, most of them kinda sucked, and then we eventually landed on that one XD

Hey show us some of those OG melodies, i love cutting room floor material

Poppyseed

I can't say enough how much this game was the absolute best game of this generation. The animation/graphics, gameplay, soundtrack and FEELS are just superb.

Cannot wait for this second game. Would buy an XBox One X JUST for this game in glorious 4K/HDR.

That is some crazy luck. The Ori motif is already memorable and incredibly versatile. It's quite frankly brilliant and i've been dissecting it for months. Like for Dash Through Their Home, it's not easy to change key and time signature and still retain a theme's identity when it's as melodious as Ori's, but this still has that quality and I really appreciate that. Hearing that it was 1 success in a pot of 999 other failures is encouraging.

fourteentoone

Neo Member
Hey show us some of those OG melodies, i love cutting room floor material

Some of them are on the Definitive Edition soundtrack (listed as Ori and the Blind Forest (Additional Soundtrack, free on Bandcamp). (Apologies if this is self-promotion, mods feel free to remove!)

e.g. #22 Title Screen (unused) - was actually our main menu music for about 1.5 years for internal builds. But really it's just a nice ambient tune that doesn't really have any lasting impact.

The main theme in its first fleshed out incarnation is # 21 (Launch Trailer - unused). It's a conceptual track that could have been used for a 60 second trailer. We then ended up using a version for this for our actual launch trailer, but a bit more epic in scope.

There's a bunch of material from track #21 onwards that were used for prototypes, or just never made it into the game.

At some point I'll do a Youtube video showing the original sketch and how it transitioned into what people know today.

That is some crazy luck. The Ori motif is already memorable and incredibly versatile.. Hearing that it was 1 success in a pot of 999 other failures is encouraging.

It's partly luck, but also effort. I don't believe you can really 'fix' a piece of music if it fundamentally doesn't work. But in order to figure out whether it 'works' or not you have to actually start, develop, and finish the idea, at least to a reasonable level. A lot of them start out as piano sketches, but then they get fleshed out. Once the Ori theme that exists as you know it now got fleshed out, it was clearly the one that would end up winning the race. But until you have a body of work to choose from - for what to develop - you'll have a harder time getting to that point. Coming up with a melody - in my opinion - is partly luck, compositional knowledge/experience, but most of all, effort. However, this is just my approach, there are other composers who can turn out a jingle in a matter of minutes, and I envy them! That said, there is a difference between a jingle/motif and a melody (something that to me should be at least 4 measures long, and essentially combines/repeats related motifs into a cohesive whole). It's a massive topic which I won't derail this thread with!

rokkerkory

Some of them are on the Definitive Edition soundtrack (listed as Ori and the Blind Forest (Additional Soundtrack, free on Bandcamp). (Apologies if this is self-promotion, mods feel free to remove!)

e.g. #22 Title Screen (unused) - was actually our main menu music for about 1.5 years for internal builds. But really it's just a nice ambient tune that doesn't really have any lasting impact.

The main theme in its first fleshed out incarnation is # 21 (Launch Trailer - unused). It's a conceptual track that could have been used for a 60 second trailer. We then ended up using a version for this for our actual launch trailer, but a bit more epic in scope.

There's a bunch of material from track #21 onwards that were used for prototypes, or just never made it into the game.

At some point I'll do a Youtube video showing the original sketch and how it transitioned into what people know today.

It's partly luck, but also effort. I don't believe you can really 'fix' a piece of music if it fundamentally doesn't work. But in order to figure out whether it 'works' or not you have to actually start, develop, and finish the idea, at least to a reasonable level. A lot of them start out as piano sketches, but then they get fleshed out. Once the Ori theme that exists as you know it now got fleshed out, it was clearly the one that would end up winning the race. But until you have a body of work to choose from - for what to develop - you'll have a harder time getting to that point. Coming up with a melody - in my opinion - is partly luck, compositional knowledge/experience, but most of all, effort. However, this is just my approach, there are other composers who can turn out a jingle in a matter of minutes, and I envy them! That said, there is a difference between a jingle/motif and a melody (something that to me should be at least 4 measures long, and essentially combines/repeats related motifs into a cohesive whole). It's a massive topic which I won't derail this thread with!

Is this gareth??

WonderzL

Banned
We launched our new website where you can pre-order them: http://www.orithegame.com

Just scroll down a bit :)

Hey! I'm halfway through the first game. Bought it because it's one of my bf's favorite games of all time. I'm really loving it. I love how deep the story is and how subtle it's told. Also, the platforming here is perfection. The art direction is absolutely gorgeous, and the soundtrack is very sad yet comfy. I'm loving this game. Thank you for this amazing experience.

Edit: looking forward to 2!

RoKKeR

That is some crazy luck. The Ori motif is already memorable and incredibly versatile. It's quite frankly brilliant and i've been dissecting it for months. Like for Dash Through Their Home, it's not easy to change key and time signature and still retain a theme's identity when it's as melodious as Ori's, but this still has that quality and I really appreciate that. Hearing that it was 1 success in a pot of 999 other failures is encouraging.

Just listened to that clip... it's so good. Need to jump back into the DE ASAP!

Edit: Wow, an upload of the original soundtrack has 4M views on YouTube... amazing. Easily one of the best soundtracks of the last 5 years. So neat to have Gareth posting here - great job at the Microsoft presser!

I enjoy picking your brain haha, so I'm always on board to see you guys share your process. I've written dozens of melodies for a personal project, and while it's not difficult to create good background music or character themes, coming up with that one overarching theme that can bleed into every corner or fade in and out is extremely challenging. Ori is one of the scores that I think does it exceptionally well, and the fact that its theme has so many variations makes me optimistic that I may be on the right track.

I personally think a melody needs to be hummable and recognizable within the first few seconds. The unused stuff has great chords and captures the tone of Ori I think, but I definitely see why you kept pushing for something more identifiable.

Do you think there are specific keys and chord progressions that are more versatile? I feel like I hear more melodies if I transpose up a key or two, which seems weird, but surely there's some truth to it.

We launched our new website where you can pre-order them: http://www.orithegame.com

Just scroll down a bit :)

Is the site background available as a desktop wallpaper anywhere?

j2o8u8K.png

Nevermind. I just had to scroll down a bit more under "Media".

UrbanRats

Really happy about this, i hope it'll keep the super fluid and tight controls of the original.
It's one of the few recent 2d platformers i finished, because i like the feel of controlling Ori so much.

shmoglish

As soon as I can solve the resulotion problem I will start the first game again. Great atmosphere, visuals, music, gameplay and overall presentation. Amazing to get a sequel.

I haven't played the first one yet, but god damn, I have watched this trailer every day since E3, and I cry every time. I don't know why, but the soundtrack really hits me hard... My GF thinks I am retarded, but I don't care😭😭😭

Poppyseed

I haven't played the first one yet, but god damn, I have watched this trailer every day since E3, and I cry every time. I don't know why, but the soundtrack really hits me hard... My GF thinks I am retarded, but I don't care😭😭😭

GO PLAY NOW!!! The first few minutes omg feels 😭.

Deviousx

I've actually spent a few minutes watching reactions of the E3 trailer and my God, Moon knows how to make people cry. I tried to hold back tears myself, but it's difficult because of how much the first game meant so much to me. It was truly a work of art.

Thank you Moon Studios. I can't wait to see what emotional adventures you'll be taking us with Will of the Wisps.

:)

Dan-o

I think Gareth is posting here on GAF as well, I'll ask him if we can dive a bit deeper here for you guys :)
Gareth's music is phenomenal.

That said...
please don't release the soundtrack to Ori and the Will of the Wisps with iam8bit. Please please please... if you're going to do vinyl (and please.. DO vinyl!), use another company. <3

Exis

I actually beat Ori and the Blind Forest this week, thanks to the Steam Sale and finally having a PC that can support it. Thanks to Moon for making a platformer, puttting it out as wide as they can and although it is hard as hell I finished it and that is accomplishment in general to make a game I care to finish.

I will buy Will of Wisps day 1, I just hope they zoom in a bit more in the sequel all of that animation is lost so zoomed out.

Dipship31

Hey guys, this is kinda OT regarding the sequel, but I posted this in the original OT thread but it's kinda dead over there. I'm having slowdown issues on PC, anyone have these problems:

I don't know if I'll get a response since this thread is kinda dead now, but I really want to play through this game since I've heard amazing things. I am getting some horrible slow down though. Here's a video kind of showing what's going on: https://vimeo.com/222121637 You can see I'm keeping a solid 90FPS at the top left, but right around 4 seconds into the video it starts to experience the slowdown which is driving me nuts and that's how it plays for probably 75% of my time with it. My system should have no issues running this I would think:

tP1t7Vr.jpg

Has anyone else had this problem and found a fix?

fourteentoone

Neo Member
Gareth's music is phenomenal.

That said...
please don't release the soundtrack to Ori and the Will of the Wisps with iam8bit. Please please please... if you're going to do vinyl (and please.. DO vinyl!), use another company. <3

Thankyou!

That said...

it was not my choice...Microsoft are aware of how I feel about the vinyl situation

Hey guys, this is kinda OT regarding the sequel, but I posted this in the original OT thread but it's kinda dead over there. I'm having slowdown issues on PC, anyone have these problems:

I don't know if I'll get a response since this thread is kinda dead now, but I really want to play through this game since I've heard amazing things. I am getting some horrible slow down though. Here's a video kind of showing what's going on: https://vimeo.com/222121637 You can see I'm keeping a solid 90FPS at the top left, but right around 4 seconds into the video it starts to experience the slowdown which is driving me nuts and that's how it plays for probably 75% of my time with it. My system should have no issues running this I would think:

tP1t7Vr.jpg

Has anyone else had this problem and found a fix?

Is the screenshot taken when the system is at idle? If yes you are having a CPU cooling issue since 50C at idle is very high.

Shin

Banned
Hey, thanks for supporting us :) We promise we'll try our hardest to make you happy with Will of the Wisps! :)

You guys deserve it!, I'm mainly a PlayStation player due to the exclusives but Ori 1+2 is my reasoning to get an XBOX along with said titles.
Case in point I value the game and everything you guys have done and doing with it in every aspect, enough that it warrants my purchase :)

#thehypeisreal

Top Bottom