• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orioto art thread - New VG wall every thursday!

Mik2121

No no no no. It's not stabbing! I just said I like older designs better! This is not BAD, of course, it's still nice but there are lots of things that you could easily fix, seeing what you've done with other designs!.

orioto

Good Art™
Mik2121 said:
No no no no. It's not stabbing! I just said I like older designs better! This is not BAD, of course, it's still nice but there are lots of things that you could easily fix, seeing what you've done with other designs!.

Wrong, this is not easy, at any time :)
Any of the things you would want on this images would have taken 10 hours of work for me.

I mean, it's just i don't find the criticism you do really friendly. I wouldn't look at your art and tell you "hey, this is not enough, you should have worked more on that !"... Cause it's your work and your time. I take it as it is, like it or not. I can tell what i like or not, but i'm not going to tell you "this is not enough", cause you don't owe me anything, see ?

I just did a lemmings picture that seemingly pleased a lot of people and some of them told me it was ma best work, like one week ago ! I'm not a machine :D

The Ecco one is not heavily detailed (but it's not blurry on my computer) but it's a good rendition of what the game was in my mind. my art isn't a contest of details everywhere. it's more a feeling thing....

Mik2121

Hey hey hey, I'm being quite friendly! I'm saying you could improve it because you have done other stuff that looks way better!. I didn't mean to sound.. mean.

orioto

Good Art™
Mik2121 said:
Hey hey hey, I'm being quite friendly! I'm saying you could improve it because you have done other stuff that looks way better!. I didn't mean to sound.. mean.

No harm !
I just want some leniency ;) Every art won't be great ! And i won't certainly do "mario world" every day. I can't really top that.

As for Mickey and Donald, i found it bad if you want to know !

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
orioto said:
No harm !
I just want some leniency ;) Every art won't be great ! And i won't certainly do "mario world" every day. I can't really top that.

What kind of elements are you trying to capture though? Some seem like gameplay, while others seems more like what m0dus is doing, which is capturing a moment

orioto

Good Art™
HK-47 said:
What kind of elements are you trying to capture though? Some seem like gameplay, while others seems more like what m0dus is doing, which is capturing a moment

Well it's always gameplay for me, but a videogame is matter of mood and "moment" for me as well :) At least it's still "ingame" where m0dus does artwork in a cinematic feel, with angles that doesn't suits the original gameplay. His work is more about illustration and mine is more about mockup.

bengraven

orioto said:

At last !
Sorry it this is disappointing, my skills was not enough for this one^^
But i'm happy with it cause it's a good look at what i would like to sse as a FFVI remake, with side view all the way and original art in a Odin Sphere style shading !

The Kid Icarus one will be on IGN Insider shortly i guess.

Little note : When you're passing here and you like something, don't hesitate to bump it a little :) It's the exposure on NeoGAF that brings me most opportunity, clearly ! neoGAF has some weight !

I came here to post something, but I can't.

Take that as a positive thing Orioto.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
orioto said:
Well it's always gameplay for me, but a videogame is matter of mood and "moment" for me as well :) At least it's still "ingame" where m0dus does artwork in a cinematic feel, with angles that doesn't suits the original gameplay. His work is more about illustration and mine is more about mockup.

Have you ever thought about doing some piece from western games? Also are these all games you have played, or are some just based on a feeling from screenshots and such?

orioto said:
That one in particular is one of the best things ive ever seen, so I mean this in the most sincere way possible, please dont take it the wrong way.

Shut the hell up.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
abstract alien said:
That one in particular is one of the best things ive ever seen, so I mean this in the most sincere way possible, please dont take it the wrong way.

Shut the hell up.

He's an artist. They are weird like that about likes and dislikes.

orioto

Good Art™
abstract alien said:

Shut the hell up.

Lol but in my opinion it's bad cause it's not magic enough. I just did a good background and put Mickey and Donald on it, but it lacks enemies, magical tunic and all that !

But hey, if people are pleased with it, as they are it seems with the Ecco one and the FFVI one, i did my job !

HK-47 said:
He's an artist. They are weird like that about likes and dislikes.
I can understand this, being an animator and all. Sometimes I do things that are half finished in my eyes and people seem to love them to death.
orioto said:
Lol but in my opinion it's bad cause it's not magic enough. I just did a good background and put Mickey and Donald on it, but it lacks enemies, magical tunic and all that !

But hey, if people are pleased with it, as they are it seems with the Ecco one and the FFVI one, i did my job !
I think thats what i like about it honestly, the fact that its very basic(in design). Having all the hoopla is nice, but sometimes a mood is conveyed more fiercely through a simpler perspective, which doesnt always mean simplified skill.

Mik2121

orioto said:

It's indeed good, but.. and don't take this very bad... you should stop talking so good about everything you do. Maybe you are joking, dunno, but it makes you sound a bit like a douchebag (I know you are not).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Mik2121 said:
It's indeed good, but.. and don't take this very bad... you should stop talking so good about everything you do. Maybe you are joking, dunno, but it makes you sound a bit like a douchebag (I know you are not).

I think he admits he is a bit of the douchebag sometimes :lol

orioto

Good Art™
Mik2121 said:

Lol....
I'm just talking shit about my work and telling people i suck every minutes, come on...
You must be the one joking right...

Mik2121

orioto said:
Lol....
I'm just talking shit about my work and telling people i suck every minutes, come on...
You must be the one joking right...
You know a lot of artists out there keep saying their stuff suck, even if they don't think so, just so people goes all "no dude it's pretty awesome!!". So yeah..

Not saying you are one of those. In fact I don't come all that much to this thread so I've never seen you posting that, but I've seen you posting some things that for someone who didn't know you, would sound quite like a douchebag.

orioto

Good Art™
Mik2121 said:
You know a lot of artists out there keep saying their stuff suck, even if they don't think so, just so people goes all "no dude it's pretty awesome!!". So yeah..

Not saying you are one of those. In fact I don't come all that much to this thread so I've never seen you posting that, but I've seen you posting some things that for someone who didn't know you, would sound quite like a douchebag.

Well sorry, i can't say my art is bad, i can't say it's good, i can't talk about it i guess...
I will just shut up.

There is a thing about "an artist as to be humble and say thx to any criticism" that i find totally dumb and mentally retarded. It's childish thinking actually.

I can speak about what i like or not in my work, and this shouldn't be a problem for anyone's sensitivity...

And you don't really know me so i guess i have to read between the lines that you think i'm a douchebag Mik2121 :)

Mik2121

orioto said:
Well sorry, i can't say my art is bad, i can't say it's good, i can't talk about it i guess...
I will just shut up.

There is a thing about "an artist as to be humble and say thx to any criticism" that i find totally dumb and mentally retarded. It's childish thinking actually.

I can speak about what i like or not in my work, and this shouldn't be a problem for anyone's sensitivity...

And you don't really know me so i guess i have to read between the lines that you think i'm a douchebag Mik2121 :)
Wat?

I don't really know you like a.. friend. But we have talked a few times via msn and I don't think you are not a douche. I just said for someone who just saw this thread for the first time, he might think you are a bit of a douche.

And I'm not saying you can't say your art is good or bad. I said a lot of people talks bad about their good stuff just to get praised. I didn't say you do that, and it's good to know what stuff is good and what's bad.

And saying thanks to any criticism isn't childish, it's just educated. One thing is saying thanks to the criticism, another thing is really "caring" about each criticism. That's where you have to know how to distinguish between criticism that can help you out, criticism that's just meant to "insult" and criticism that while is meant to help, it just doesn't. But saying thanks isn't childish at all.

orioto

Good Art™
Mik2121 said:
Wat?

I don't really know you like a.. friend. But we have talked a few times via msn and I don't think you are not a douche. I just said for someone who just saw this thread for the first time, he might think you are a bit of a douche.

And I'm not saying you can't say your art is good or bad. I said a lot of people talks bad about their good stuff just to get praised. I didn't say you do that, and it's good to know what stuff is good and what's bad.

And saying thanks to any criticism isn't childish, it's just educated. One thing is saying thanks to the criticism, another thing is really "caring" about each criticism. That's where you have to know how to distinguish between criticism that can help you out, criticism that's just meant to "insult" and criticism that while is meant to help, it just doesn't. But saying thanks isn't childish at all.

Indeed, but it's the "be humble and NEVER EVER have the least own satisfaction, nor the least confidently on your work publicly, or you should be immolated by fire" that is childish. I know a lot of wannabe artist on deviantart think like that ! It's the same that think we shouldn't criticize movies or high art cause it's beyond us lol.

But no problem, i don't want a drama here ;)

_There is no problem with criticism

_I'm ofently disappointed by my own work, cause the way i work, i'm my own audience if you like, so i must be "impressed" by what i do. This is just the weird way i work in my head. So wuen people are like "you would have done better", i'm all "hey i know.. what do you want, i gave up ! sue me !"

_If your comment and the raging one felt bad for me, it was just the bad timing, and let's say it seemed a little hard and unfriendly, as in a little cold and distant. But's that's just me.

_if i was a wrestler, i would be a coky heel, without any doubt !

Mik2121

orioto said:
Indeed, but it's the "be humble and NEVER EVER have the least own satisfaction, nor the least confidently on your work publicly, or you should be immolated by fire" that is childish. I know a lot of wannabe artist on deviantart think like that ! It's the same that think we shouldn't criticize movies or high art cause it's beyond us lol.
That's basically what I said, and quite different from what you first said :p

orioto said:
i'm my own audience if you like, so i must be "impressed" by what i do.
Then why do you do "crappy" things even though you know they are crappy and you could fix it if you spent a bit more time? You say it's because you don't want to spend more time, but you know that QUALITY is way more important than QUANTITY, right?

Anyway, I'm not saying any of your stuff was bad, well... I said it was bad compared to other stuff you've done, but even then, it's not bad when compared to lots of stuff out there.

orioto

Good Art™
Mik2121 said:
Anyway, I'm not saying any of your stuff was bad, well... I said it was bad compared to other stuff you've done, but even then, it's not bad when compared to lots of stuff out there.

Well, cause again, mi goal on a picture is not specially the "perfection" of its technical aspect.
I wouldn't submit an art that i would find "crappy".

There are some lacking (and i fucking said that even in the deviant comment !) but the FFVI picture is good for what i intended to do, personally. And again, i shouldn't be discussing my motivations or my goals, and i will look like a douchebag again :p

But do you have drama about what time you worked on your art Mik2121 ? Do people blame you for your "not hard enough" work when you do an art ?

colinp

Banned
This thread has turned a really weird direction and I just wanted to say keep up the great work orioto. I know you don't need to share any of this stuff with us, but I think it is fantastic that you do and are so open to suggestions as far as what you will create. It is much appreciated and no, you do not need to explain yourself and hell you should ignore people who tell you to "work a bit harder" on any piece.

orioto

Good Art™
colinp said:
This thread has turned a really weird direction and I just wanted to say keep up the great work orioto. I know you don't need to share any of this stuff with us, but I think it is fantastic that you do and are so open to suggestions as far as what you will create. It is much appreciated and no, you do not need to explain yourself and hell you should ignore people who tell you to "work a bit harder" on any piece.

Thx, well i don't ignore them cause i like what they do, that's the worst part :D
But there is no real drama, i know Mik2121 is a love and is just doing that to keep my thread on first page:D

LiquidMetal14 said:
The FF3 art is great. One of my favs. Great work Orioto.
Thx, that's when i hear something like that that i think "it wasn't s bad after all, there must be something that works in it !"

But it doesn't make raging and Mik's comment less true :) This just confirm me that my goal was somewhat achieved.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Hey Orioto you know I <3 ya, and the piece is good, like I said before. Im just noting areas for improvement in the future and it seems like you agreed with them, so thats good to hear. I know we as artists always take criticism personally, but please remember that its all in the interest of you gathering even more fans :) I thought the Ecco piece was amazing, for the record

orioto

Good Art™
Raging Spaniard said:
Hey Orioto you know I <3 ya, and the piece is good, like I said before. Im just noting areas for improvement in the future and it seems like you agreed with them, so thats good to hear. I know we as artists always take criticism personally, but please remember that its all in the interest of you gathering even more fans :) I thought the Ecco piece was amazing, for the record

:)

You should be working on more Street Fighter fanart right now:lol

BlueMagic

orioto said:
Thx, that's when i hear something like that that i think "it wasn't s bad after all, there must be something that works in it !"

The fact that one, two, three, or even ten people don't like a painting doesn't mean it's bad at all. It is you, mostly, that must feel that you did a good job, and be happy about it...
Especially when you have like a hundred other people saying that you did a good job...

orioto

Good Art™
By the way, maybe some of you already saw it but the Kid Icarus picture is on IGN Insider since Yesterday ! Really pastel one.

neoism

orioto said:
Wrong, this is not easy, at any time :)
Any of the things you would want on this images would have taken 10 hours of work for me.

I mean, it's just i don't find the criticism you do really friendly. I wouldn't look at your art and tell you "hey, this is not enough, you should have worked more on that !"... Cause it's your work and your time. I take it as it is, like it or not. I can tell what i like or not, but i'm not going to tell you "this is not enough", cause you don't owe me anything, see ?

I just did a lemmings picture that seemingly pleased a lot of people and some of them told me it was ma best work, like one week ago ! I'm not a machine :D

The Ecco one is not heavily detailed (but it's not blurry on my computer) but it's a good rendition of what the game was in my mind. my art isn't a contest of details everywhere. it's more a feeling thing....
Dude I understand you wanting to defend your hard work and everything, but I wouldn't even bother with them, your art speaks for itself, your the shit! And your art is the shit!
The FF3 art is seriously fucking spectacular!

Incredible art...they capture the moments in the corresponding game perfectly. I can't decide which to set as my wallpaper though...heh. Can't wait to see what you do next!

orioto

Good Art™
Thx !

Well, for IGN, the next one will be ice climber, interesting choice from them. I don't really know how it will look yet !

orioto

Good Art™
A new one is coming this we.

Hehe01.jpg

First one that can guess the game can request me what he wants :D

i gonna regret this...

orioto said:
A new one is coming this we.

Hehe01.jpg

First one that can guess the game can request me what he wants :D

i gonna regret this...

That's a valuable prize you're offering there...

But since I don't have a sodding clue....

Desert Strike?

orioto

Good Art™
Two miss :)
You have to understand what is there in the picture !!

dfyb > DKC Winner !!
It wasn't really hard anyway:lol

The game didn't last really long :'(
So you can pick my next work, but make sure it's a retro game !

dfyb said:
Donkey Kong Country? only game i can think of with a rhino

I thought it was a cloud of smoke in a desert! Now you mention it, it does look like a Rhino or Elephant foot....

How many games have Elephants?

Edit - checked the filename hoping for clues..... Something tells me we aren't getting much from "hehe1.jpg" though.

EDIT EDIT - Mega late, already lost. Well played dfyb! Looking forward to seeing the full thing Orioto!

orioto

Good Art™
Mama Robotnik said:
I thought it was a cloud of smoke in a desert! Now you mention it, it does look like a Rhino or Elephant foot....

HOW many games have Elephants?

Edit - checked the filename hoping for clues..... Something tells me we aren't getting much from "hehe1.jpg" though.

Too late :p

dfyb, you can choose when you want. Let's say if you choose quickly (like this we), i can begin working on it for my next project.

orioto

Good Art™
dfyb said:
cool. what qualifies as retro? 2D only? or is N64/PSX okay?

Hmm, i think i will do some 32 bits games one day, but if i tell you it's ok, i'm sure you will kill me with an impossible choice:lol But after all, let's try !

You can pick from Pong to 32 bit generation !

Top Bottom