• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orioto art thread - New VG wall every thursday!

Twig

Banned
The day video games can actually look like this in motion is the day I have an orgasm without any physical interaction. (Unless you count the way my eyes interpret the light!!!!)

I love the Lemmings one.

A lot.

bdouble

:'( only because developers seem to be so against pushing 2d games.

Nice work though. Played the hell out of Lemmings.

orioto

Good Art™
News flash :

So FFVI one will be available for all on Wednesday, and this week-end, there will be a new one on my deviantart :

A Genesis one, from Sega, with some water animal !

Ho and there is a videogame tv show (for kid) on french national tv, that will interview me, with some footage of me working :D :lol ! I will definitely check the cameraman's work to make sure i'm handsome !

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
orioto said:
I did and it was meh. Maybe i'll retry one time.

:) Ken vs. Ryu or something classic like that would be awesome. There's amazing material there with the fireballs/flame uppercut.

Lemmings is my wallpaper right now.

orioto

Good Art™

At last !
Sorry it this is disappointing, my skills was not enough for this one^^
But i'm happy with it cause it's a good look at what i would like to sse as a FFVI remake, with side view all the way and original art in a Odin Sphere style shading !

The Kid Icarus one will be on IGN Insider shortly i guess.

Little note : When you're passing here and you like something, don't hesitate to bump it a little :) It's the exposure on NeoGAF that brings me most opportunity, clearly ! neoGAF has some weight !

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
orioto, a bit OT but I also like your other works like Serious Monkey, Transformation age and Hero Simplicity a lot.

They're hot!
Do more of those in the future too if you have the chance. :D

By the way, would the Jae Joong you said you used as reference in the Inu Yasha fanart be the one from DBSK?

orioto

Good Art™
Fuu said:
orioto, a bit OT but I also like your other works like Serious Monkey, Transformation age and Hero Simplicity a lot.

They're hot!
Do more of those in the future too if you have the chance. :D

By the way, would the Jae Joong you said you used as reference in the Inu Yasha fanart be the one from DBSK?

haha thx!

Don't say on the net that "transformation age" is hot, you fool !

I find it less amusing to do now, the portraits... And i had 10 times more recognition in 6 month of videogame art than in 4 years of anime fanart ! But i'll see :)

For the Jae Joong question, i can't tell ! I know nothing about all that:lol

adamma666

just to contribute in this thread: i really like all of your pics posted in this thread, some more some less. so it's time for a little bitching (sorry :) ): the FFVI one is way too dark imo, which is sad, as i think it looks great. maybe you should brighten it up a little?

h3ro

orioto said:

At last !
Sorry it this is disappointing, my skills was not enough for this one^^
But i'm happy with it cause it's a good look at what i would like to sse as a FFVI remake, with side view all the way and original art in a Odin Sphere style shading !

The Kid Icarus one will be on IGN Insider shortly i guess.

Little note : When you're passing here and you like something, don't hesitate to bump it a little :) It's the exposure on NeoGAF that brings me most opportunity, clearly ! neoGAF has some weight !

Simply gorgeous.

orioto

Good Art™
adamma666 said:
just to contribute in this thread: i really like all of your pics posted in this thread, some more some less. so it's time for a little bitching (sorry :) ): the FFVI one is way too dark imo, which is sad, as i think it looks great. maybe you should brighten it up a little?

No, it's dark cause i want to hide its emptyness^^
Seriously, it's hard to tell for this kind of thing, cause i don't know how your screen is bright you see ? But i can light it a little indeed.

neoism

orioto said:
125ji9x.gif

YYZ

The FFVI one is great although the lack of mog is disturbing, especially considering your avatar.

The
post-apocalyptic world (after everything goes to ruins, but not the end of the game). Actually final Kefka,
Orioto'd would be...stunning.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Between M0dus' Death Peak and Orioto's FFVI march to Narshe, I'm in nostalgic heaven. If someone would do an Earthbound wallpaper, I can die a happy man.

orioto said:
Thx guys, i knew the lemmings choice would suit you :D

Oh my good god orioto that Lemmings one almost made me pass out. Lemmings is the only game my wife has ever liked and she wants to frame that. Beautiful work. I just installed Linux on my computer and the learning curve is making me want to murder someone so suffice to say this made my night significantly better.

Thanks man.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Orioto its good to see that youre flexing your artistic muscle! Unfortunately the FF VI piece fell short of my expectations. Keep in ind that I do like the piece though and I give you mad props for doing new stuff. Heres the issues I have with it:

Overall it looks rushed. I know that its not because you spend a lot of hours on these, but working for a client tends to make some things sloppy and it shows. Usually your photo manipulation involves a lot of Photoshop effects to mask the HD look without having you have to do a lot of drawing. In this case it doesnt work.

The characters do not fit AT ALL, worse yet, you didnt bother to make Biggs and Wedge look different or even be posed differently. The lighting between the mecha chocobos and the characters is inconsistent and while the mechas manage to have a nice 3d look to them, your Amano drawn characters were not modified enough to look like they fit in this world you made, specially Terra, she doesnt look like shes in that mecha, she looks pasted in.

The mechas themselves are nicely detailed, but the contrast doesnt work very well since you lose a lot of the silhouettes that those mechas originally had, I would make the elements in the foreground a bit lighter so that they pop more against the dark background.

On the technical level, Im missing some foreground detail that you usually give us. Specially the rock at the bottom left. Easy fix though!

The whole left side of the image needs more work. I know its empty because you want the eye to focus on the right side of the image were the characters are but right now thats the first thing I see since its big, black and takes almost half the image. I get that the mountain is far away, but theres no depth to it, add some mist at the bottom of it and other elements that make it more interesting to look at. If not, just crop the image.

Im not saying its a bad piece. Matter of fact its nice, but it pales in comparison to your Mario and Sonic pieces due to the complications of basically redoing everything without the use of original in game assets for you to work with. Using illustrations and then modifying them to make them look in game is very very hard and you did well overall, Im just pointing out areas for improvement ;)

Darkpen

Banned
Orioto: Where's the slave crown?

Oh, and everything Raging Spaniard said +1

I was disappointed to see that biggs and wedge weren't differentiated. Was expecting a stout fella.

Darkpen

Banned
I mean. I can buy there being a light source infront of Terra, or even say its cinematic lighting, but the lack of consistency for all 3 figures, and what feels like a throwaway composition, really hurts the picture upon extended viewing.

though I admit, it looks lovely as a thumbnail

orioto

Good Art™
Raging and th others : Well i'm aware of all that but sometimes it's the way it ends :\ You know sometimes, you stay a lot of time on a piece, and you just accept the way it's going to be, cause you want to move on. I'm doing a LOT of this stuff since last July. of course there will be some less good than others.

Let's say i kept focus on the mood this time. The composition doesn't really bore me, personally. I would put it like that in the game. It was hard to find the good place for the three chara, as they are from top in the original.

No princess crown cause i didn't see it anywhere, neither in the amano arts, neither in the game :)

Biggs and Wedge are badly drawn (lack of reference, so almost from scratch) but the way they are the same is interesing for the game, at least i find ! The amano artwork is the same for their face !

As for the Tina shading, i'm happy with it... It's not a "realistic" piece if you want, but it could definitively be a game sprite !

Let's say, again, it's not "a wonderful painting with FFVI" or a "realistic rendition of FFVI", but rather a concept art of what i would imagine for the game, based on the mood.

But i'm not telling what you say is wrong ! I clearly didn't focused on matte painting this time.

I hope you will prefer the Kid Icarus one !

ps : i would add that my work is generally a matter of time division. I generally stay a lot of time on the background, and at the end, i do crappy work for the sprite. This time, i had hard time for the sprites, tina and magitec armors, and i rushed the background :)
i'm not even sure i will do more of FFVI. I would like to do some fighting picture, but i won't be able to do the sprites. There is not enough Amano materials for it.

Mik2121

I think the older ones (Donald and Mickey, the first Mario one, etc..) were a lot better than the newer ones. Specially the FF and Echo the Dolphin (I guess it's that game?) ones. The FF one looks weird because it's almost impossible to identify the mechas, and the characters seem pasted on top without retouches. The one for Echo the Dolphin is just not very eye-candy.. it looks a bit blurry overall?..

Also, if you are going to rush something or do some "crappy work", why don't you just spend a bit more time on it to make it a good piece like the Donald and Mickey one, instead of something forgettable?

orioto

Good Art™
Mik2121 said:
I think the older ones (Donald and Mickey, the first Mario one, etc..) were a lot better than the newer ones. Specially the FF and Echo the Dolphin (I guess it's that game?) ones. The FF one looks weird because it's almost impossible to identify the mechas, and the characters seem pasted on top without retouches. The one for Echo the Dolphin is just not very eye-candy.. it looks a bit blurry overall?..

Also, if you are going to rush something or do some "crappy work", why don't you just spend a bit more time on it to make it a good piece like the Donald and Mickey one, instead of something forgettable?

Ouch, fellow gaf artists decided to stab me today lol...
You have to respect tha fact that it's my time... I propose that freely, and i decide to put the work where i want to... You're speaking to me as if i was some sort of great artist who HAS to make a master piece everytime... Don't forget where i come from ! I struggle on this.
Again, It's the demand toward me that sick me... As if i can't just make something more simple on some works...

Top Bottom