• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orioto art thread - New VG wall every thursday!

orioto

Good Art™
Wouhou.jpg

BentonJoy

And the deviant top is from yesterday's hits, but i did the 24,000 in the last 16 hours only:lol

Sorry i'm so cocky:lol

ArtOfLife

Neo Member
Orioto, these are all incredible. Glad to see you're getting the recognition you deserve.

I think the Zelda one is my favourite. But I'm amazed you did one of the first level of World of Illusion; it was one of my favourite games as a child but I never thought anyone else aside from my sister and I really liked it that much. Makes me want to go back and play it.

Retro

Just want to hop in this thread and offer congratulations to Orioto on the increased exposure. Your Mario World wallpaper is currently keeping my desktop at near-dangerous levels of awesome. When I get tired of that, I know exactly where to look for a new one (will probably be the amazing Zelda one).

I know we won't be seeing a 2D HD Mario game anytime soon, but I wonder if the success of these pictures will prove to developers that 2D isn't dead. I'd love to see a game that looked exactly like these pictures, especially the Mario and Mickey ones. You have done such an awesome job!

orioto

Good Art™
Shig will kill me on this one lol, cause it's absolutely not coherent ! But what do you want, sometimes you try for 2 hours to fucking shade a sprite to make it like the background but there is nothing to do !

I hope the level feeling is good at least, i really like the way i gave a dynamic and action feel at the mario world cave :D

painey

I saw this on digg yesterday and made the zelda one my wallpaper (first time i've ever changed it) because it looks good and it is dark. Who knew it was a gaffer :lol

Neomoto

The new Mario one looks pretty sweet, but I thought (hoped) it would be more "dreamy" like your Milky Sky Mario one. :)

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
orioto said:
Shig will kill me on this one lol, cause it's absolutely not coherent ! But what do you want, sometimes you try for 2 hours to fucking shade a sprite to make it like the background but there is nothing to do !
Naw, looks good.

I think maybe you misinterpreted that comment, I meant that the different characters had a sorta inconsistent level of detail relative to one another... the floating skulls and Richters' features were very sharp and discernable, whereas the skeleton enemies' features were softer and not as precise.

Here, the characters all have a similar type of detail, they gel well with each other.

Azar

Awesome. I hope you get to release the FFVI wallpaper sometime soon. Can't wait to see what you did with it.

orioto

Good Art™
Shig said:
Naw, looks good.

I think maybe you misinterpreted that comment, I meant that the different characters had a sorta inconsistent level of detail relative to one another... the floating skulls and Richters' features were very sharp and discernable, whereas the skeleton enemies' features were softer and not as precise.

Here, the characters all have a similar type of detail, they gel well with each other.

Cool if this one looks good. I find the background too realistic for the mario sprite wich look cartoony. I tried to shade mario with a lot of relief.

Orioto I am sure you can relate that being a artist or designer you look at other peoples
work a lot more critically and its easy to dissect a piece as oh he is using this technique
here or his brush work isn't very good and so forth. With your stuff though I am absolutely
stunned. I cant think of any greater compliment than that when I look at your pieces
I am immediately transported to my childhood to that moment you capture so effortlessly.
Incredible work man. I have seen a lot of people try and mimic your style since you started
showing us your stuff but no one can come close.

Thanks for another trip down memory lane.

I also wish you all the exposure possible you deserve it.

orioto said:

I hope the level feeling is good at least, i really like the way i gave a dynamic and action feel at the mario world cave :D

Omg I love this one, awesome. :D

Just made the Zelda one my desktop, and one of my roommates is seems to be deciding between which of the two Sonic ones he is going to use. :lol

These are awesome man, keep up the kick ass work.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
I love the dream-like quality of some of these pieces. Excellent work!

Vashu

Congratulations Orioto, I just received word that your art is going to be shown at the Pixel Hail #1 Expo in Brighton UK. Then again, you probably already knew that, but it's good to hear it's being used in expositions like that.

:D

Meier

These are really nothing short of amazing. I have the Link to the Past one as my desktop at work but all of them are worthy. Great job man.

orioto

Good Art™
Vashu said:
Congratulations Orioto, I just received word that your art is going to be shown at the Pixel Hail #1 Expo in Brighton UK. Then again, you probably already knew that, but it's good to hear it's being used in expositions like that.

:D

Ho, i thought it was a secret lol ! I'm still talking with the guy :)
By the way, he asked me if i wanted to sell print of my work here. I answered that it wouldn't be legal, obviously, but he seems to think it is.. Does someone has an opinion on that ?

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
Orioto, your work is amazing. I've used so many of your creations as my desktop images. I always look forward to you next bit of art. I'd be interested to see your interpretation of this iconic shot from Phantasy Star II ...

ps2screen1.gif

orioto said:
Ho, i thought it was a secret lol ! I'm still talking with the guy :)
By the way, he asked me if i wanted to sell print of my work here. I answered that it wouldn't be legal, obviously, but he seems to think it is.. Does someone has an opinion on that ?
I wouldn't recommend trying to profit directly from fanart.

Doesn't I am 8-bit art gallery sell pieces of fan art? If you want to sell pieces of your work, you should just not tell anyone else about it. lol

orioto

Good Art™
Raging Spaniard said:
You can sell it since its technically a parody.

That's the argument indeed ! But i don't want to abuse the system.. I mean, i'd prefer to be friend of videogame firms than their enemy !

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
orioto said:

Wow. Your Mario ones are my favorites.. I do hope you'll consider more Zelda ones down the line as well. A little gray-scale Link's Awakening. <3

orioto

Good Art™
A little gray-scale Mickeymania will be done sometimes also, with a good old film texture !

But for now i'm working on snes super aleste, and this is a surprise !

Captain N

Could a game be made to look like those and run smoothly? I think if a game were to look like that it would need some insane animations to match the art style.

orioto

Good Art™
Captain N said:
Could a game be made to look like those and run smoothly? I think if a game were to look like that it would need some insane animations to match the art style.

The lava one would be hard to do... That's not specially a problem of animation i guess, cause you can do a lot with simple things pasted on each other. But Sonic or Mario games would require a big ram to have this kind of level on an entire stage.

Vanillaware achieve those kind of quality on last gen hardware BUT their game use looped and really simple level. That said... it's always possible to get near a target render when you realy want to :D

I almost always do my mockup with tech realism in mind. Ram could be a problem, but i can see all details of the picture in term of simple gif with some transparencies.

Captain N

orioto said:
The lava one would be hard to do... That's not specially a problem of animation i guess, cause you can do a lot with simple things pasted on each other. But Sonic or Mario games would require a big ram to have this kind of level on an entire stage.

Vanillaware achieve those kind of quality on last gen hardware BUT their game use looped and really simple level. That said... it's always possible to get near a target render when you realy want to :D

I almost always do my mockup with tech realism in mind. Ram could be a problem, but i can see all details of the picture in term of simple gif with some transparencies.

well do any of the systems out now have enough ram to run those 'games'?

orioto

Good Art™
Captain N said:
well do any of the systems out now have enough ram to run those 'games'?

Ask the real techies :lol

It's complicated i guess... How could the level be done with repetition of graphical elements, and how those elements could be compress, with how many colors.. But the thing that is certain is that if 2D graphics were pushed as far, in term of resources twisting, as some 3D games... We could see all sort of things...

orioto

Good Art™
Ok so it's signed now it seems... I can tell you !

Normally, the FFVI wall will be on ign insider in some days (i hope lol). Then it will be there exclusivly for one month, and after that, i'll put it on my deviant page as usual. It seems i will do one per month for them.

In other news, the Super Aleste one is progressing smoothly.

orioto said:
New !

This one isn't really awesome depht of view wise, but the style suits i guess
hope

At least i didn't just vectorize the original style. I wanted some new kind of render, or it's not fun anymore !

Ho and this time 5000x2813 printable in download, for those interest.

(I updated the first post.)

Just saw this and holy crap it's my favorite.

And if it hasn't been suggested, I'd like to see the beach scene with Link and Marin from LA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpNAf2G13Kc#t=0m17s

aexgtd.jpg

Twig

Banned
Grimm Fandango said:
Just saw this and holy crap it's my favorite.

And if it hasn't been suggested, I'd like to see the beach scene with Link and Marin from LA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpNAf2G13Kc#t=0m17s
Not trying to knock on orioto at all (I love this shit), but that might be something more up modus' alley. Dunno if he'd be up for it though.

orioto tends to do gameplay scenes, not cutscenes. I mean modus does some gameplay, too, but they end up being more...

I have no clue what I'm even saying anymore. But I stand by my original statement!! Unless of course orioto DOES want to do that. Whatever!

(I mean they're both awesome at this. Obviously.)

orioto

Good Art™
Lol TheOneGuy, well it's a little more complicated than that ! Let's say if this is more drawing oriented, m0dus will be better to do it. In this case, as it's basically a background with really little sprites, i could try. I'm not specially going to, cause i'm an asshole, but i'll keep it in mind ;)

Don't hesitate to post pictures of references from games. I don't have a poll or something but i have a directory on my computer with all interesting possibilities !

orioto

Good Art™
So the picture is on IGN Insider right now, for those who can see it lol... Let me know what you think about it !

For the others, one month to wait lol.

They put it today and this is my bday, youhou !

{Mike}

Banned
That Yoshi one is awesome, like all Orioto's creations. Might even print it and make a nice wall decoration out of it.

Top Bottom