• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orioto art thread - New VG wall every thursday!

By the way if some french people from Lille are there, i'll have my very first individual expo in le dernier bar avant la fin du monde, à Lille, all May month!

AfficheDemoP.jpg

Facebook event

I missed this post back then, I just wanted to say congratulations and well deserved! Hopefully you'll have more of this in the future, exposing your art to a larger audience.

Re: The limiting of prints and such, I've always thought your art should be more visible considering how good it is, but most of my gaming friends only know of it through me. Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to consult with someone professionally dedicated to marketing and sales to see how you can get more exposition? There's bound to be people on GAF with that kind of background willing to help for free.

orioto

Good Art™
One other question: Do you plan to release a book at some point compiling all of your art? Ideally a hardcover I could order on Amazon?

Well, hmm that's an idea but that's complicated to do.. Not how i would do that actually, and for what cost etc..

I missed this post back then, I just wanted to say congratulations and well deserved! Hopefully you'll have more of this in the future, exposing your art to a larger audience.

Re: The limiting of prints and such, I've always thought your art should be more visible considering how good it is, but most of my gaming friends only know of it through me. Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to consult with someone professionally dedicated to marketing and sales to see how you can get more exposition? There's bound to be people on GAF with that kind of background willing to help for free.

Thx!
Well i do a lot already, i'm featured a lot. I basically have to wait, and strengthen my social network presence..

Guys nobody answered for the Metal Gear Solid art, what should it be :)

Neiteio

Yeah but how do i publish it, with what money... :)
You pitch -to- a publisher. If they want to publish, they would then pay for it.

And I have to imagine there is a publisher out there who would be all over this.

Create a PDF with all of the pages lined up. Just one art piece after another. Use that as your product proposal. Shop it around to different publishers. Tell them you want to publish it as a book — ideally a hardcover like the other collectible game books on the market.

No guarantee they'll take it, but there's a reliable market for this stuff. You could even use your own sales track record to show there's interest. And you could point to similar books, i.e. official art books and the like.

I just really think there's an opportunity there. You've amassed such a dazzling variety of work. Going through the thumbnails on your shop page, I kept thinking how cool it'd be if they were each a page in a book.

orioto

Good Art™
You pitch -to- a publisher. If they want to publish, they would then pay for it.

And I have to imagine there is a publisher out there who would be all over this.

Create a PDF with all of the pages lined up. Just one art piece after another. Use that as your product proposal. Shop it around to different publishers. Tell them you want to publish it as a book — ideally a hardcover like the other collectible game books on the market.

No guarantee they'll take it, but there's a reliable market for this stuff. You could even use your own sales track record to show there's interest. And you could point to similar books, i.e. official art books and the like.

I just really think there's an opportunity there. You've amassed such a dazzling variety of work. Going through the thumbnails on your shop page, I kept thinking how cool it'd be if they were each a page in a book.

Yeah well. i'd like that but that's a lof of trouble :p

So, for the MGS one, how about this ?:

Clipboard01p.jpg

It could be lovely to expand from that scene

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Ha sorry about that ^^' Didn't you have a coupon or something ?
Heh, managed to make the switch and keep the coupon code I used. Redbubble support was very kind and helpful!

May get the Pokemon one later down the line if it's still around. =)

Yeah well. i'd like that but that's a lof of trouble :p

So, for the MGS one, how about this ?:

Clipboard01p.jpg

It could be lovely to expand from that scene
Oh fuck dude. That looks amazing. I'll will buy that one too. But for the next MGS one you do in the future, promise me you will do a MGS2 one? ;)

I'll post this on the MGS subreddit for you when it's done. I know some users one there who would definitely buy this

orioto

Good Art™
Heh, managed to make the switch and keep the coupon code I used. Redbubble support was very kind and helpful!

May get the Pokemon one later down the line if it's still around. =)

Nice!

Oh fuck dude. That looks amazing. I'll will buy that one too. But for the next MGS one you do in the future, promise me you will do a MGS2 one? ;)

Well i didn't start anything yet, i wanted gaffers opinions but nobody is reacting :) That scene seems like it's a given for my style

Coketruck

Just ordered Snoopy and 30 Years of Mario posters for our son's nursery (my wife's due in August). Looking forward to putting them up!

orioto

Good Art™
Did you try asking in the MGS community thread yet? You can probably get some good opinions and suggestions in there.

I prefer to keep those discussinos in my thread to not spam every gaf with my promotion :)

Just ordered Snoopy and 30 Years of Mario posters for our son's nursery (my wife's due in August). Looking forward to putting them up!

Aaaw :)

first time ever seeing this thread. im on hard times right now but im bookmarking this thread for sure. good stuff!!

Thx! You're welcome here!

Paul Gale

New OP for modern times!
If you want to follow me and don't know where:

Behance - Tumblr - Facebook - deviantart - Twitter

MY STORE IS HERE, for physical prints!
All the Wallpapers are THERE, with a pay want you want formula.

Also, important: I'm open for professional commissions! My mail is orioto@online.fr, or oriotoma@gmail.com

Whatever floats you boat :) Or just subscribe to that thread! I'll update the pretty OP now!

You know where to find all that! Wallpapers and posters!
------

------
Of course my whole 62 videogame "remake" gallery of wallpapers can still be seen on Deviantart :
And there are now wallpaper packs with everything in 1080p and 1200p, for some small fees (that helps me :) )

For those who missed what i do:

tumblr_moupfkX1q81qdq8qno1_1280.jpg

tumblr_moupfkX1q81qdq8qno2_1280.jpg

tumblr_moupfkX1q81qdq8qno3_1280.jpg

3ds versions of every walls
3dsQR.jpg

Just scan that from your 3ds camera and go directly to the gallery!

And also Vita versions here

Great work. Thank you for sharing.

I'm not a big enough MGS fan to buy anything myself, but I'd imagine the final boss of MGS3 would pretty much be the best selling piece you could choose.

A side shot of The Boss and Naked Snake eyeing each other down would look great.

As i was saying, yes and no.

Yes it works cause i wouldn't have sold the 50 in that amount of time if it wasn't limited. People would have waited, maybe even forgotten to buy it.. When people see a poster online they think "it's nice maybe i'll buy it". If they see maybe it won't be available in some weeks, well that force them to make a decision :) I wouldn't have sold more than 1000 poster in 2015 without this, i'm sure of it.

No cause i'm till struggling and realizing i have really popular pieces that could give me regular income (maybe!) and they are not there anymore.

You're forgetting that many of your images are of timeless games. You're essentially giving up on any kind of long-tail revenue from this, which is pretty bad in the long run and makes you live from hand to mouth so to say.

Your catalog is getting beefy, let people buy your stuff. I will!

TheMoon

how about setting up a voting system for a limited new print run of the most popular one(s) every now and then.

Neiteio

I still think Orioto should shop his stuff to a book publisher. A book collection of like 100 pieces would not only advertise individual prints, but it's something that just about every game enthusiast would want, since skimming the pages would be like immersing yourself in gaming's best moments.

NateDog

I still think Orioto should shop his stuff to a book publisher. A book collection of like 100 pieces would not only advertise individual prints, but it's something that just about every game enthusiast would want, since skimming the pages would be like immersing yourself in gaming's best moments.
I guess the question for him then, though, would be if it's worth it. All the time he put into each one and then a book encompassing say 100 as you've said might go for something like maybe €25-€30 at best? Could have a big impact on poster sales and the money he can realistically make from those.

It would be to the detriment of the rest of us since there's less of a chance of us getting them but maybe you should cut down the amount that are sold? At 50 a lot of people might say "ah I can wait" but at maybe 25 people know they will have to get it quicker which can thus increase demand itself. Then do re-runs for those that are really high in demand.

Big Nikus

For Orioto fans (I hope you're okay with me posting this here :), here's the First Print cover for a french magazine (well, a mook actually) coming out soon:

I'm a bit frustrated, I've started to work for this publisher recently but it was too late for me to write anything in this issue ! Damn, 1992 is one of the best years for videogames (the first issue was 1998). Anyway, amazing art, as usual !

orioto

Good Art™
I'm not a big enough MGS fan to buy anything myself, but I'd imagine the final boss of MGS3 would pretty much be the best selling piece you could choose.

A side shot of The Boss and Naked Snake eyeing each other down would look great.

So you're telling my i shouldn't do the after the battle scene :p But i like the red flowers!

Orioto, about making books about your art, maybe you can check websites like Lulu.com ?

Well i looked at it yesterday and for a decent sized color photo book of more than 100 pages it will cost basically 200$ to people lol :p

You're forgetting that many of your images are of timeless games. You're essentially giving up on any kind of long-tail revenue from this, which is pretty bad in the long run and makes you live from hand to mouth so to say.

Your catalog is getting beefy, let people buy your stuff. I will!

But you know.. i mean, my old art is not limited, it's there, the really popular ones, the link to the past one i did in 2008.. It's not selling anymore or rarely. Having a big catalog is not always a good thing when people don't look at it.

how about setting up a voting system for a limited new print run of the most popular one(s) every now and then.

You're not been following what we discussed :p i'm doing exactly that, every 500 followers on my facebook.

I guess the question for him then, though, would be if it's worth it. All the time he put into each one and then a book encompassing say 100 as you've said might go for something like maybe €25-€30 at best? Could have a big impact on poster sales and the money he can realistically make from those.

It would be to the detriment of the rest of us since there's less of a chance of us getting them but maybe you should cut down the amount that are sold? At 50 a lot of people might say "ah I can wait" but at maybe 25 people know they will have to get it quicker which can thus increase demand itself. Then do re-runs for those that are really high in demand.

That would be worth :p And at least there is something important for me, really important. Average sale of a poster gives me 8 euros. Meaning when a poster finished his life (with a 50 run) it gives me 450 to 500 euros in general. Which is, for not a full week of work.. honest. I have to maintain that ratio.

For Orioto fans (I hope you're okay with me posting this here :), here's the First Print cover for a french magazine (well, a mook actually) coming out soon:

I'm a bit frustrated, I've started to work for this publisher recently but it was too late for me to write anything in this issue ! Damn, 1992 is one of the best years for videogames (the first issue was 1998). Anyway, amazing art, as usual !

Nice, so do we know each other lol ??
That art will be made into a poster 2 months after the book is out. That's a good deal for me.

Big Nikus

Nice, so do we know each other lol ??

No I don't think so ! I used to write for a few magazines some years ago (mainly Gameplay RPG, then Background, damn it's been ten years already...). I stopped writing for a long while but the guys from Third got me out of my retirement :)

And yeah that's a fine deal if you can use the SFII art for a poster a few months later, more people will be able to enjoy (and buy) it.

ozfunghi

Yeah but how do i publish it, with what money... :)

I can imagine a project like that could be successful on kickstarter.

But on the other hand, i'm wondering if you could get in trouble with copyrights etc, if you are asking money for it? I'm guessing you already informed yourself, and i know there are certain conditions under which it's ok, but the Ken/Ryu piece is maybe close to the original game art? I mean, if Nintendo can claim that Animal Crossing video 3d art as their own...

Qwark

Damn, this is the first time I've seen your art Orioto, really amazing stuff. It's too bad that you're not seeing the sales you deserve, I'll definitely look at ordering some of these. I just wish I had more wall space to hang them up.

orioto

Good Art™
I can imagine a project like that could be successful on kickstarter.

But on the other hand, i'm wondering if you could get in trouble with copyrights etc, if you are asking money for it? I'm guessing you already informed yourself, and i know there are certain conditions under which it's ok, but the Ken/Ryu piece is maybe close to the original game art? I mean, if Nintendo can claim that Animal Crossing video 3d art as their own...

If you're doing a fake, or a true videogame and it's called street fighter, or animal crossing, you'll get problem. Cause that's basically doing a fake nintendo or capcom product.

I'm never using any name, logo, brand, assets from any game, and in the end it's just a derivative picture evoking their game. Ryu and Ken are inspired by their 16 bit sprite, not by their artwork, and they are too far from their sprite anyway, in detail. But most of all it's not a game, nor anything that would replace one of their product.

Damn, this is the first time I've seen your art Orioto, really amazing stuff. It's too bad that you're not seeing the sales you deserve, I'll definitely look at ordering some of these. I just wish I had more wall space to hang them up.

Thx :)

ozfunghi

If you're doing a fake, or a true videogame and it's called street fighter, or animal crossing, you'll get problem. Cause that's basically doing a fake nintendo or capcom product.

I'm never using any name, logo, brand, assets from any game, and in the end it's just a derivative picture evoking their game. Ryu and Ken are inspired by their 16 bit sprite, not by their artwork, and they are too far from their sprite anyway, in detail. But most of all it's not a game, nor anything that would replace one of their product.

Well, in that case, if you want to publish a book, you can self-publish it. Just get the needed quotes to know what the total cost would be, and start a kickstarter to raise that budget.

TheMoon

That's exactly what's happening now... "Every now and then" is "each 500 followers on FB".

so you're saying my idea was so good, it ripped open the time stream and implanted it in orioto's head before I even suggested it. amazing!

orioto

Good Art™
Well, in that case, if you want to publish a book, you can self-publish it. Just get the needed quotes to know what the total cost would be, and start a kickstarter to raise that budget.

You know what. What i will do, for a start. I will talk to my french publishing network, as i know some guys, third edition for exemple but also Pixn'love, Florent George..

I will talk to them and see what they think about it.

Neiteio

You know what. What i will do, for a start. I will talk to my french publishing network, as i know some guys, third edition for exemple but also Pixn'love, Florent George..

We want this book, dammit

NateDog

Let us know how it goes! If you do have to go the Kickstarter route I'll do my best to back you well enough.

orioto

Good Art™
That box art is beautiful. You have a guaranteed buy if you do that. Lol.

My mind is blown by those flowers though.

For a change i'm going to try redo the exact same art with my style (with a different light, i'm looking for a good light reference now), that'll be interesting.

SoMsketc.jpg

orioto

Good Art™
I don't know how you do what you do, man. It's sorcery or something. Absolutely breathtaking!

Thx! People seem impressed with this one, i hope nobody things i individually painted each flower lol! I would feel like i'm a fraud :p (Still there are 23 individual flowers!)

(Many people still think i paint everything on canvas with a brush...I still got guys asking me if they can buy the original)

Top Bottom