• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orioto art thread - New VG wall every thursday!

orioto

Good Art™
I love the art Orioto!

Thx!

Just got the Last of Us poster today. Looks way better in person. Your first God of War piece looks awesome!

Do you have an idea which FF you are doing?

Not yet i have till sunday night to decide! And congrats :)

For now i'm working on that

WIPGhostBusters01.jpg

orioto

Good Art™
I'm new to this whole thing, I only own one print so far. Well now it's two, I just ordered your TLOU art :)

Now about bringing this back...

I need it.

2 guys asked for this in 24 hours :p Did you plan that together :p ?

This one was unfairly ignored when released so i'll give it more chance one of those days!

-MD-

2 guys asked for this in 24 hours :p Did you plan that together :p ?

This one was unfairly ignored when released so i'll give it more chance one of those days!

That's actually both me, sorry lol. I found your twitter before I found the thread.

And that's great news, count on me being there for that re-release or any other potential REmake art. Subbed to the thread, I look forward to seeing more of your work.

orioto

Good Art™
That's actually both me, sorry lol. I found your twitter before I found the thread.

And that's great news, count on me being there for that re-release or any other potential REmake art. Subbed to the thread, I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Nah i saw you're the same but an other guy asked me that on twitter to ;)

orioto

Good Art™
So i'm going for a Final Fantasy i never painted this time

FFXIIwip01.jpg

Had a hard time deciding what place to do, but this one (Salikawood) is the best thing i can do with the game for now i think.

orioto

Good Art™
A bit late with this, but that God of War work is remarkable! I need disposable income, stat ;_;

Thx :)

Also guys beware with the stock those days, the kinda funny podcast exposed all my sony art a lot. The Last of Us art is already almost gone for example.

galvatron

So this is for this week, before Mario Galaxy next week!

CrW_N8dWEAEWMGY.jpg:large

Walls HERE and Posters (50) HERE

This is absolutely terrible...I mean just awful.

I now have to explain why browsing GAF just cost me $30.

Should go nicely with the first Street Fighter print

Definitely like the change in style, color palette and a composition. Even gives me a little Jet Set Radio vibe, which is fine by me.

Like the other poster said, this is more a case of a great piece demanding attention rather than nostalgia overload (though Street Fighter is a favorite of mine).

New002

Can I throw out a suggestion...

Maybe a Berserk poster given that there's a new game coming out? :) Something to keep in mind!

Lovely work as always. Been admiring it for years! I need more wall space @_@.

orioto

Good Art™
This is absolutely terrible...I mean just awful.

I now have to explain why browsing GAF just cost me $30.

Should go nicely with the first Street Fighter print

Definitely like the change in style, color palette and a composition. Even gives me a little Jet Set Radio vibe, which is fine by me.

Like the other poster said, this is more a case of a great piece demanding attention rather than nostalgia overload (though Street Fighter is a favorite of mine).

Thx! I'm happy this one gets some love :)

Can I throw out a suggestion...

Maybe a Berserk poster given that there's a new game coming out? :) Something to keep in mind!

Lovely work as always. Been admiring it for years! I need more wall space @_@.

It's not the first thing i have in mind i won't lie to you but never say never!

Koren

Orioto art is impressive...

Just got my "Fresh air by the sea" metal print, the parcel was dripping water... That's a true sea landscape!

Well, maybe that's because my post office have been flooded :/

(it was secured in the middle of a cardboard, so I think the print hasn't been in water, but I was lucky, I think it was a matter of centimeters)

orioto

Good Art™
Orioto art is impressive...

Just got my "Fresh air by the sea" metal print, the parcel was dripping water... That's a true sea landscape!

Well, maybe that's because my post office have been flooded :/

(it was secured in the middle of a cardboard, so I think the print hasn't been in water, but I was lucky, I think it was a matter of centimeters)

Haha it's a good thing :p It's metal anyway maybe it's water resistant. Or maybe not i don't know.

Robiin

Orioto, if you ever do a Smash Bros. piece (maybe FD background with Mario and someone facing eachother?) PM me and I'll buy it in a heart beat, your style is absolutely amazing and that God of War motive is spectacular. Unfortunately I have never played the games so to me personally I can't justify a purchase :(

orioto

Good Art™
last wip for today. I'll finish it tomorrow, big day ahead -_- I want more vegetation.

FFXIIwip03.jpg

going to make it darker i think it suits the game area better

FFXIIwip03%27.jpg

Soon the time will come to order a few posters from you. Looks great.

Really love your recent output. From SoM to the SF one to this one. You should really do an artbook.

FFXII is one of my top 5 games of all time but that one looks to much as the Secret of Mana one which I already bought to put on my wall. I'll keep waiting :) (Maybe someday a Rabanastre piece :p)

It still looks amazing though.

orioto

Good Art™
FFXII is one of my top 5 games of all time but that one looks to much as the Secret of Mana one which I already bought to put on my wall. I'll keep waiting :) (Maybe someday a Rabanastre piece :p)

Unfortunatly i doubt i'll do more of it! Was hard enough to find something i could do and it will barely sell..

So I ended up buying a 600x450mm Chinese Street print.

I have to take down Yuna's Sending Ceremony, frame the both the same way and hang them next to each other.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION

Yeah, I was completely convinced it was Secret of Mana until I saw FFXII mentioned. Still nice!

orioto

Good Art™
Well I thought it was FF IX :p

Well i know too well it destoys any chance a poster could have. When fans of the game won't recognize the game right away, it means it doesn't strike the right cord.

This is really fucking difficult to get it right each time. And this is always a damn tragedy for me when i failed. I really try al the time to find the right balance between what i can, i want to do and what's the best to find the right audience. This is tough.

And it happens too often. Each time i do a poster that's out of the target, It's a week of work that will never get paid for me.

GWX

Orioto, just wanted to chime in and mention that the Mario Galaxy and FF XII pieces are freaking amazing. I actually bought four posters of yours: two Splatoon ones - one for me, one for my sis; one Valak Mountain Night for me; one Bionis Leg for my sis - still coming. The thing is that I can't wait to get more :lol. RedBubble is an awesome site as well, fantastic customer service. Just greatness all around, keep up the fantastic work!

orioto

Good Art™
Orioto, just wanted to chime in and mention that the Mario Galaxy and FF XII pieces are freaking amazing. I actually bought four posters of yours: two Splatoon ones - one for me, one for my sis; one Valak Mountain Night for me; one Bionis Leg for my sis - still coming. The thing is that I can't wait to get more :lol. RedBubble is an awesome site as well, fantastic customer service. Just greatness all around, keep up the fantastic work!

Thx for the support man :)

Haa new page, i'l update it tomorow i need to sleep. Better wake up with NX news!

Last 9 weeks!

CpG9pYeWgAA2iPP.jpg:large
CodtdBdXgAAvwN9.jpg:large
CnfsXJjXEAAi46K.jpg:large

tumblr_odvs9eYuDE1qdq8qno1_1280.jpg
tumblr_ocwescP4TZ1qdq8qno1_1280.jpg
CshwlnRXEAAfZk-.jpg:large

tumblr_o91m1tonwA1qdq8qno2_1280.jpg
tumblr_obtgw041gT1qdq8qno2_1280.jpg
tumblr_oc6p0rb1VO1qdq8qno1_540.jpg

You know where to find all that! Wallpapers and posters! There is also a zip with my 42 ones from 2015, HERE!

AdamisFox

Well i know too well it destoys any chance a poster could have. When fans of the game won't recognize the game right away, it means it doesn't strike the right cord.

This is really fucking difficult to get it right each time. And this is always a damn tragedy for me when i failed. I really try al the time to find the right balance between what i can, i want to do and what's the best to find the right audience. This is tough.

And it happens too often. Each time i do a poster that's out of the target, It's a week of work that will never get paid for me.

Well, sometimes, the problem is (in *my* case) that I don't recognize which game you portrayed. Here, I just see a forest. I speculated that it was FF9 because while scrolling, I spotted the words "Final Fantasy", and to me, a forest + FF = FF9.
It's only afterwards that I saw that bunny girl's ears. Otherwise, it's a forest.

If the picture doesn't evoke which game it is to the players, you can't really expect them to buy it. They don't have to read the title to know where it's from. Your pic must speak for itself. "Show, don't tell".

orioto

Good Art™
Well, sometimes, the problem is (in *my* case) that I don't recognize which game you portrayed. Here, I just see a forest. I speculated that it was FF9 because while scrolling, I spotted the words "Final Fantasy", and to me, a forest + FF = FF9.
It's only afterwards that I saw that bunny girl's ears. Otherwise, it's a forest.

If the picture doesn't evoke which game it is to the players, you can't really expect them to buy it. They don't have to read the title to know where it's from. Your pic must speak for itself. "Show, don't tell".

You're repeating what i just said ;)

Anyway the Halo one should be like that. It's the beginning with some liberties taken.

SketchHalo01.jpg

AdamisFox

Well what I said is valid then ^^

Another example is the Sonic one. Apart from Sonic himself, and maybe the Egg Capsule, there are no element from the game that tells it's from a Sonic game. Sonic games usually have distinctive stuff that tells us their identity (checkered floors, loops, some "faux CGI-ness"...) and you could have used them more. (well I told you something like that on Deviantart but I don't think you saw it as you didn't reply ^^)

Another one I didn't like much is the Tomb Raider one, which is just blue and kinda static.

On the other hand, picture like the one you did for "the last of us" is beautiful, with lots of colors.

orioto

Good Art™
Well what I said is valid then ^^

Another example is the Sonic one. Apart from Sonic himself, and maybe the Egg Capsule, there are no element from the game that tells it's from a Sonic game. Sonic games usually have distinctive stuff that tells us their identity (checkered floors, loops, some "faux CGI-ness"...) and you could have used them more. (well I told you something like that on Deviantart but I don't think you saw it as you didn't reply ^^)

Another one I didn't like much is the Tomb Raider one, which is just blue and kinda static.

On the other hand, picture like the one you did for "the last of us" is beautiful, with lots of colors.

I saw your comment on deviant and didn't answer it i guess yeah. I'm not really opened to critic :p I do what i want to do i guess and sometimes it'll be better than some others but that's my choice, my time, my investment. It's not some sort of thing you are entitled to. People on internet are always criticizing things like they ordered food or something. But i'm not a firm, or some kickstarter or a brand. I'm a human being, an artist devoting his time to that. You take it or you don't but i'm not something you can just judge and criticize as the episodes of a game. Again i'm not a fucking company having to deliver to its customers.

Its like you take something that is given to you from someone who dedicates his life to it, and you're like "hmm i don't like this one, do better next time please"

Well no, that Sonic one is like that cause that's what i wanted to do. I did 4 others with different art style. That's the way i wanted to do it this time.

I know FFXII poster is not super reminiscent of the game. Its still my choice, and my hard work. I don't need you to rub my face into it when i just said it already. That's the thing i wanted to do as an artist. i'm sad it won't find its audience. But that's something else having to listen to you telling me "hmm yeah you should do something differently it's not what i wanted".

AdamisFox

Hey dude, I didn't say that because I want you to do it this or this way.

I'm an artist too, and as an artist, I've learnt that I can listen to people's opinion, especially when they think I did something wrong. In some case, they're wrong themselves. In others, they're right and there may be things I can learn to progress. Of course, it's up to you to listen to those, but that's not an excuse to respond like an ass over someone's opinion.
You said it was a "tragedy" when some of you art don't sell. I gave you my opinion (and never said it was a fact) as an artist but also potential customer. After that, you're an adult, you draw whatever you want, as you brilliantly said. But don't be surprised when people tell you that "it's always the same", as it happened a few times before in this thread, because you just want no critiques.

/unsubscribes.

orioto

Good Art™
Hey dude, I didn't say that because I want you to do it this or this way.

I'm an artist too, and as an artist, I've learnt that I can listen to people's opinion, especially when they think I did something wrong. In some case, they're wrong themselves. In others, they're right and there may be things I can learn to progress. Of course, it's up to you to listen to those, but that's not an excuse to respond like an ass over someone's opinion.
You said it was a "tragedy" when some of you art don't sell. I gave you my opinion (and never said it was a fact) as an artist but also potential customer. After that, you're an adult, you draw whatever you want, as you brilliantly said. But don't be surprised when people tell you that "it's always the same", as it happened a few times before in this thread, because you just want no critiques.

/unsubscribes.

I know too well artists who loves to criticize other artists so much. Give me a break. Nobody here nor in the hundreds of comment i get acts like you. That's not for nothing if i get mad and i can sense the douchy internet critic who's so happy to "give his input" from miles away.

I changed my art a lot actually and i certainly don't need advices from you thx.

AdamisFox

Well, being on various websites, people can see my art and comment just fine, I never said the contrary :) People are welcome to give me negative or positive comments.

Shikoba

Really disappointing to see Orioto's reaction to a simple critique. As someone who is wrapping up an art degree and consistently shows work in galleries, I would say critiquing is a wonderful thing. It helps you grow, not only as an artists, but to have a thicker skin and realize not everyone is out to get you or your work.

As someone who has their own special little topic devoted to their art on a game forum with lots of people who enjoy it, I find it odd that you had to lash out like that. At no point did AdamisFox deserve that. I truly encourage you as an artist to be more open minded.

orioto

Good Art™
Really disappointing to see Orioto's reaction to a simple critique. As someone who is wrapping up an art degree and consistently shows work in galleries, I would say critiquing is a wonderful thing. It helps you grow, not only as an artists, but to have a thicker skin and realize not everyone is out to get you or your work.

As someone who has their own special little topic devoted to their art on a game forum with lots of people who enjoy it, I find it odd that you had to lash out like that. At no point did AdamisFox deserve that. I truly encourage you as an artist to be more open minded.

Believe me i know i look like the douchebag here of course. The thing is i know how to spot people and who they are. From your point of view he looks all nice and full of good intention. He's not. He comes after i say openly that i'm sad and struggling and he enjoys doing the same critics he already did in an other place, which are not critics but just basically his preferences. That's one guy. I don't get mad at everyone here ..

The thing about nice critic is a lie. People following artists on internet to criticize them everywhere they go, they are not well intentioned. They feel good for doing so. 99% of the people i talk to are people enjoying what i do and thanking me for it. If they don't like something i do, they just like maybe for support but don't say anything, or don't download the wallpapers. I see when people don't like what i do. Then you have 1% of guys being all happy to tell you how you can be better at what you do and giving you positive and negative points. They are just enjoying the feel of it.

.la1n

Mario Galaxy looks amazing, I'm running out of room to hang art but it's getting bought. Great work Orioto. Never cease to amaze.

AdamisFox

This will be my last reply here.

I'm far from "feeding" on your sadness or whatnot. On Deviantart, how many times did I comment on your work ? Twice maybe ? Hardly "criticizing you everywhere you go", dude.
Also, you seem to forget that we met once, last year, I bought some postcards from you (hardly something someone feeding on whatever you said would do) and we chatted about you doing a Banjo & Kazooie piece, as I was wearing a BK tee. I even took pictures of your exhibition and posted them online, with absolutely zero negative comment, and you appreciated that.

I also have a degree in comics and illustration, and graphic design, I've had my fair share of"good" and "bad" comments too and as Shikoba said, it helps to build a hard skull.

Call me a douchebag all you want, Orioto, I don't care.

cj_iwakura

Believe me i know i look like the douchebag here of course. The thing is i know how to spot people and who they are. From your point of view he looks all nice and full of good intention. He's not. He comes after i say openly that i'm sad and struggling and he enjoys doing the same critics he already did in an other place, which are not critics but just basically his preferences. That's one guy. I don't get mad at everyone here ..

The thing about nice critic is a lie. People following artists on internet to criticize them everywhere they go, they are not well intentioned. They feel good for doing so. 99% of the people i talk to are people enjoying what i do and thanking me for it. If they don't like something i do, they just like maybe for support but don't say anything, or don't download the wallpapers. I see when people don't like what i do. Then you have 1% of guys being all happy to tell you how you can be better at what you do and giving you positive and negative points. They are just enjoying the feel of it.

I really think you're taking this too personally. Consider the following from another board I frequent:

There are a lot of ways you can respond. Generally, it is polite to show that you appreciate that someone took the time to give you crits on your work.

It is important to know that when a person is critting your work, they are not taking shots at you as a person. They are not even really taking shots at your work. They are trying to help you see things from their point of view, or give you guidance based on their expertise and the mistakes they themselves have made in the past.

If you want to get the most out of this community, read the crits, and then go back and look at your work to see if you can see it from the point of view of the person who was critting you. If you can see their point, and see that it would improve the piece, then edit it, or keep it in mind for the next piece that you do. Thank the person for being helpful.

It is important to note that you do not have to accept all criticism. It is simply advice. You can choose to take it or not. If a piece of advice does not line up with your goals as an artist, then don't bother with it and thank the person and move on to the next one.

Arguing with the person is not really a good idea. It is their opinion based on their knowledge (or lack thereof). Think of them as simply opinions intended to help you out.

Top Bottom