• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OSX High Sierra is now available via the Mac App Store as a free upgrade

vern

Will this do anything to fix the massive amount of "other" taken up in my hard drive? I'm constantly deleting shit. Even delete 10-15 gb of photos and videos and don't import any new ones or download anything and then a week later all that space is filled again by "other". Drives me crazy.

Shearie

I’m scared to update. Should I do it GAF? I’m worried my shitty finite automaton app that I use for school is going to break...or, of course, my whole Mac being fucked.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Mid-2012.

I had the Toshiba SSD issue back in 2013 where SSD's were dying in the Air and Apple issued a recall and free replacement. I've been paranoid about the technology since then.

There was no warning when my SSD died.
That's strange. Not what I was taught about how SSDs work.

I wouldn't be paranoid though. All drives die. I'd be more paranoid about platter HDDs than a SSD.

So you *have* to do a clean install to change the file structure?
I didn't. It converted in place for me.

mrkgoo

I’m scared to update. Should I do it GAF? I’m worried my shitty finite automaton app that I use for school is going to break...or, of course, my whole Mac being fucked.

Isn't there a reason you want to update that justifies the risk of your concerns?

Shearie

Isn't there a reason you want to update that justifies the risk of your concerns?

There are big reasons. APFS, apps being faster and less bloated freeing up space. My new Apple Watch can’t open my Mac since it says I need High Sierra for some reason.

mrkgoo

There are big reasons. APFS, apps being faster and less bloated freeing up space. My new Apple Watch can’t open my Mac since it says I need High Sierra for some reason.
My point is you have to weigh the benefits and risks yourself.

(I'm still on El Capitan)

Should/Can I install High Sierra onto my "Server" Mac Mini from 2012? The OS on it is the one before Sierra I think, and I've been wary of OS changes out of a fear that it would make the computer sluggish.

Shearie

That’s weird. I am on Watch os4 but Sierra on my MBP and my series 2 watch still unlocks it. I wouldn’t think it being series 2 would make a difference.

Mine’s a Series 3 if that makes a difference. My old original AW worked with this OS version but my 3 doesn’t and when I try to turn on the feature it tells me to update to a new OS version.

Flo_Evans

Ah looks like they locked h.265 codec in this. Kind of a shitty move. Need to update the laptop OS to edit iPhone 8 videos :/

I’m gonna put it on my 2012 MacBook Pro that has an SSD in it.

jiiikoo

Banned
Been using HS ever since the GM was made available and haven't had any problems with it. One thing though, for some reason, I'm missing a quite big chunk of my HDD space, maybe about 10gb's worth. Not sure what's taking up the space.

v1oz

So the installer seems to do a firmware update on some or all Macs, possibly to support booting from APFS. First go after the long beep to notify the EFI update it aborted with “failed to verify firmware update” and then rebooted back. Second time it did the long beep and successfully updated. Gonna test over several days before update my other systems.
It’s possibly a security check. Mac OS now checks your firmware to see if it has been compromised.
http://appleinsider.com/articles/17...alerts-users-to-possible-security-issues/amp/

v1oz

I’m not updating until at least a few point updates. Until I know all the apps I use have been proven to run stable and bug free for a few months. If you use any pro apps the advice is to check with all vendor’s websites first before updating.

I also worry about users of older MBPs. High Sierra seems to be more demanding on the GPU. And the discrete GPUs in older models are prone to hardware failure.

Two Words

I’m not updating until at least a few point updates. Until I know all the apps I use have been proven to run stable and bug free for a few months. If you use any pro apps the advice is to check with all vendor’s websites first before updating.

I also worry about users of older MBPs. High Sierra seems to be more demanding on the GPU. And the discrete GPUs in older models are prone to hardware failure.
I don’t know if it demands more GPU usage. I think the transition to Metal 2 is supposed to optimize OS-level GLU utilization.

Haven't used it too much but I like it so far. Dunno if placebo but mission control seems smoother.

My time machines took a bit longer to back up, which is understandable.

As much as some of the Apple hardware decisions I'm not a fan of (touch bar, all usb c on the MBP), their software is still really, really nice.

Will this do anything to fix the massive amount of "other" taken up in my hard drive? I'm constantly deleting shit. Even delete 10-15 gb of photos and videos and don't import any new ones or download anything and then a week later all that space is filled again by "other". Drives me crazy.

Do you have an iPhone backup stored on there? Those can take up a lot of space.

Guess Who

Banned
Hmm still no APFS. some people seem to think you need to unencrypt the hfs+ volume before you can convert.

I upgraded from HFS+ with FileVault enabled and it automagically converted me to APFS (Encrypted). Do you have a third-party SSD, and if so, what brand?

Whogie

Hmm still no APFS. some people seem to think you need to unencrypt the hfs+ volume before you can convert.

I upgraded from HFS+ with FileVault enabled and it automagically converted me to APFS (Encrypted). Do you have a third-party SSD, and if so, what brand?

fwiw My 2012 MBP has an aftermarket SSD (Crucial M4), and it got converted automatically during install. One partition. File Vault was on, as well as TrimForce.

Flo_Evans

No its an "APPLE SSD SM256E" not sure what the deal is. Everything I can find with google is talking about the beta :/

Edit: hmm I think when it’s in recovery mode it’s giving me old sierra not High Sierra...

Is it possibly converting in the background? Did it say APFS as soon as it booted?

OK LOL I AM A MORON IT NEVER UPDATED SHIT.

it seems it rebooted for some other update and never even finished downloading high seirra. Wooo it’s time for bed. :lol

Fliesen

Ah looks like they locked h.265 codec in this. Kind of a shitty move. Need to update the laptop OS to edit iPhone 8 videos :/

I’m gonna put it on my 2012 MacBook Pro that has an SSD in it.

you can set your iPhone 8 to record photos/videos in "compatibility" mode, which is h264 for video and jpeg for photos. (cmiiw)

jts

...hate me...
Will not update until I do a proper backup and I can't be arsed to do a proper backup for now.

Most of my stuff is in the cloud though.

God, backing up is boring.

Mac backup to iCloud when, Apple.

Will not update until I do a proper backup and I can't be arsed to do a proper backup for now.

I like using time machine. I have one external hdd at home and one external hdd at work, both the same size. Alternate backups with them.

Fliesen

I like using time machine. I have one external hdd at home and one external hdd at work, both the same size. Alternate backups with them.

given that my macbook only has 128gb of storage, i can very easily offload all of the essential stuff into one of my various cloud services
* my email's on gmail servers
* my photos are in iCloud (up to 50gig, €0.99)
* my documents folder is in my dropbox (up to 10 gig, free)
* my music library is on spotify

Just a few months ago, i was able to reformat my SSD on a whim without no prior backing up.
I use time machine solely for the "fuck, did i delete that?!" recovery of individual files

jts

...hate me...
I've used Time Machine but I don't have a setup anymore where it's convenient to plug an external hard drive regularly. I use my Macbook anywhere around the house and when I want to backup I have to look for the external HDD, plug it in and set the whole thing stable while it does its thing. It's boring.

Soon I'll probably have to take the 2TB iCloud plan and there's more than enough room in that to backup my Mac to. It would be extremely convenient.

Flo_Evans

I've used Time Machine but I don't have a setup anymore where it's convenient to plug an external hard drive regularly. I use my Macbook anywhere around the house and when I want to backup and I have to look for the external HDD, plug it in and set the whole thing stable while it does its thing. It's boring.

Soon I'll probably have to take the 2TB iCloud plan and there's more than enough room in that to backup my Mac to. It would be extremely convenient.

Eh just get a NAS drive and let it backup over WiFi

Guess Who

Banned
I've used Time Machine but I don't have a setup anymore where it's convenient to plug an external hard drive regularly. I use my Macbook anywhere around the house and when I want to backup I have to look for the external HDD, plug it in and set the whole thing stable while it does its thing. It's boring.

Quite a few routers these days let you plug a USB drive into them and share them over your WiFi network so you don't have to manually plug your drive up to your MacBook, you just back up wirelessly. If you have a desktop computer you can also probably use that as a Time Machine server. NAS drives are also an option.

Oh yeah, cloud storage is great too. I keep important stuff in Dropbox and personal stuff (photos etc) also on Google Photos and Amazon Prime Photos.

jts

...hate me...
Eh just get a NAS drive and let it backup over WiFi

Quite a few routers these days let you plug a USB drive into them and share them over your WiFi network so you don't have to manually plug your drive up to your MacBook, you just back up wirelessly. If you have a desktop computer you can also probably use that as a Time Machine server. NAS drives are also an option.
My router lets me plug a USB drive, but I don't think it supports Time Machine. Don't have a desktop and really don't want to buy and keep dedicated equipment for that task - I feel like it's something on the way out because of cloud services and it's also not that important already because of them (as Fliesen said). Mail hasn't been an issue in years. Photos, notes, documents, are all backed up. As is Keychain. What's missing it's mostly general settings and non-App Store apps, just for convenience.

I just feel like we already have good enough storage tiers in iCloud that Apple could turn on iCloud Backup for the Mac for those wanting it. It's caught up and it's due. 200GB costs $3 a month and some Macs are still sold with 128GB of storage. Maybe by macOS 10.14.

But, not a big deal. When I have a bit of patience I will do a backup just in case before updating to High Sierra, and then move on without caring much about it.

Fliesen

my ASUS AC68U offers this kind of "fake time capsule" feature, though it's not entirely reliable. Like every 3 months the backup seems to become corrupted and it tells me i need to make a new backup from scratch, losing my previous backup.

Which i don't mind, personally. But which could be a dealbreaker for those who want their backups to be reliable and permanent.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
All I really care about in MacOS updates is the ability to turn the startup chime OFF permanently. No app or terminal command fuckery has been successful in this regard.

I guess that did not change this time ?

Can anyone provide experiences with xCode after this update?
I am using my brother's MacBook Pro from 2011 (I think) to write an app for an internship program. After upgrading to the xCode 9, the storyboard has been ridiculously slow. I was wondering if the update would help in any way.
This laptop doesn't have an SSD by the way.

Can anyone provide experiences with xCode after this update?
I am using my brother's MacBook Pro from 2011 (I think) to write an app for an internship program. After upgrading to the xCode 9, the storyboard has been ridiculously slow. I was wondering if the update would help in any way.
This laptop doesn't have an SSD by the way.
I used it at work today and it seems fine to me(tested on a MacBook Pro and Mac Pro). Then again, I don’t use storyboard and just code the views. I’ve never bothered with it since it’s slow and to do more complex views, it’s best just to code it imo.

After 2 hours on the phone with the Apple help people (who were very helpful), fixed the MacBook, but I had to delete the whole thing, disc utility or whatever all my data and make a new user account, then reinstall OSX Sierra, since everything we did before that just brought us back round to the password reset screen, and terminal stuff didn't work either.

Hope this is a good update!

Fliesen

After 2 hours on the phone with the Apple help people (who were very helpful), fixed the MacBook, but I had to delete the whole thing, disc utility or whatever all my data and make a new user account, then reinstall OSX Sierra, since everything we did before that just brought us back round to the password reset screen, and terminal stuff didn't work either.

Hope this is a good update!

your machine wasn't broken, you were just locked out of your strongly encrypted files.
We could've told you, you could just erase your entire hard drive's content and start from scratch.

edit: turns out, in that thread of yours, noone actually did. woops. It was obvious that erasing your entire drive would 'solve' your problem in the worst kind of way :)

your machine wasn't broken, you were just locked out of your strongly encrypted files.
We could've told you, you could just erase your entire hard drive's content and start from scratch.

edit: turns out, in that thread of yours, noone actually did. woops. It was obvious that erasing your entire drive would 'solve' your problem in the worst kind of way :)

Well I made sure to turn FileVault off when I did set up this time :)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Is boot time noticeably slower for everyone else? Coming from Sierra.

edit: seems to have gone back to normal after a few reboots.

RedAssedApe

Banned
High Sierra/iMessage/Gtalk error makes no sense. Friend sends me IM from gtalk. I try and reply and get this:

Support for the targeted service Google Talk has been discontinued

Then why'd you let the message get to me? Like a ghost in the system. :p

Top Bottom