• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OSX High Sierra is now available via the Mac App Store as a free upgrade

hirokazu

So the installer seems to do a firmware update on some or all Macs, possibly to support booting from APFS. First go after the long beep to notify the EFI update it aborted with “failed to verify firmware update” and then rebooted back. Second time it did the long beep and successfully updated. Gonna test over several days before update my other systems.

hirokazu

True, that's pretty big, as long as you have an SSD. I'm using a 2011 iMac with a hard drive, so I won't get much out of this update. But then, it's over 6 years old.
There are still benefits for APFS for hard drives, you just need to convert the drive in Disk Utility.

Fucking hell. What a nightmare of an update.

Upgraded to HS, noticed few apps working funny or not at all or need $$$ to upgrade to a HS supported version and decided to roll back - no problem, been there, done that. Yeah, no. Not with this one.

Boot from Image format drive to HFS+ and start to clone my CCC backup to the SSD like I've done in the past, says successful, reboots and errors out with an error sign or whatever. Boot into recovery mode to check disk utility and the disk is not there - great. Reboot, check again, disk is there but says APFS - what?
Reboot again, boot from image and go into disk utility and reformat not the drive but the actual device to HFS+, reinstall Sierra and get it to launch properly. Disk utility looks also solid, give my CCC clone another try, finishes successfully and right after that screen goes black.
Hard reboot it, boots into account just fine - awesome. Checked all my data and apps and everything seems to work fine and stays that way I hope. Phew...

I get it, new filesystem and shit, but this was the worst experience I had with a macOS launch up until now and I had quite a few to choose from.
I mean for people who barely know how to restore stuff this is nightmare fuel and not fun at all. I know I'm a rare case today, but just thought I would share and let you know guys. Seriously, backup your stuff and check if that backup actually works.

Updated last night, everything working really well. I like how much faster my iMac wakes from sleep. It's instant now whereas it took a couple seconds before.

Admodieus

Started the update last night, it seemed to get stuck at one point (calculating estimated time to install) while installing, so I let it run overnight. Came back to it this morning, progress bar was in exactly the same spot. I attempted to just turn the machine off and then back on, and of course it was in a non-workable state. Had to restore my Time Machine backup from last night.

Ovid

Why would it die on you?

SSDs don't generally just up and die like HDDs do, they gradually break down but you usually have plenty of warning before they're unusable.
Also just make sure you have a backup.

How old is the Air?
Mid-2012.

I had the Toshiba SSD issue back in 2013 where SSD's were dying in the Air and Apple issued a recall and free replacement. I've been paranoid about the technology since then.

There was no warning when my SSD died.

hirokazu

Fucking hell. What a nightmare of an update.

Upgraded to HS, noticed few apps working funny or not at all or need $$$ to upgrade to a HS supported version and decided to roll back - no problem, been there, done that. Yeah, no. Not with this one.

Boot from Image format drive to HFS+ and start to clone my CCC backup to the SSD like I've done in the past, says successful, reboots and errors out with an error sign or whatever. Boot into recovery mode to check disk utility and the disk is not there - great. Reboot, check again, disk is there but says APFS - what?
Reboot again, boot from image and go into disk utility and reformat not the drive but the actual device to HFS+, reinstall Sierra and get it to launch properly. Disk utility looks also solid, give my CCC clone another try, finishes successfully and right after that screen goes black.
Hard reboot it, boots into account just fine - awesome. Checked all my data and apps and everything seems to work fine and stays that way I hope. Phew...

I get it, new filesystem and shit, but this was the worst experience I had with a macOS launch up until now and I had quite a few to choose from.
I mean for people who barely know how to restore stuff this is nightmare fuel and not fun at all. I know I'm a rare case today, but just thought I would share and let you know guys. Seriously, backup your stuff and check if that backup actually works.
It sounds like you didn’t properly reformat to HFS+ before cloning previous system back. Remember APFS uses a container which the Macintosh HD APFS partition only forms a part. Disk Utility on High Sierra doesn’t seem to expose the physical drive nor the container so you’d probably have to use diskutil to properly erase it and replace it with a HFS+ partition as the first step.

It sounds like you didn’t properly reformat to HFS+ before cloning previous system back. Remember APFS uses a container which the Macintosh HD APFS partition only forms a part. Disk Utility on High Sierra doesn’t seem to expose the physical drive nor the container so you’d probably have to use diskutil to properly erase it and replace it with a HFS+ partition as the first step.
Thanks for the reply. It works, so I'm happy.

TheContact

Don’t update yet. There’s a zero day in this OS.
(They can see your passwords in Keychain in plain text without the need for your pw)

pestul

I usually give these 3-4 weeks to stew so all the hangups and workarounds can be identified first.. I've got a late 2009 27" iMac (Intel), so I'll probably check to see if there's any specific issues for that model.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Don’t update yet. There’s a zero day in this OS.
(They can see your passwords in Keychain in plain text without the need for your pw)

Note: the zero day almost certainly exists in earlier versions of macOS, and the guy hasn't released the exploit code so it's not in the wild

Burai

shitonmychest57
I usually give these 3-4 weeks to stew so all the hangups and workarounds can be identified first.. I've got a late 2009 27" iMac (Intel), so I'll probably check to see if there's any specific issues for that model.

I have the same model. So far, it's failed to install four times, unable to verify the firmware.

Hopefully whatever it is gets fixed.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
I want to update but I have a deadline tomorrow so I don’t want to fuck things up if there is even a tiny chance of that.

eGPU support is my most wanted feature but the small print said spring

Reversed

During the installation process, my Mini made a "click" sound similar to a laptop when it shuts down due to overheat. It just rebooted, but the power led started blinking, then went normal. Jesus. It made me remember the time a W7 update glitched on me to the point it couldn't allow a login.

So far the weirdest update experience I've had on a Mac. But it works fine and dandy, except that the position of the upper left corner buttons on the Chrome window are more elevated than usual (what could it be?)

The Mac (not sure of the model, says it's 2.7ghz Intel Core i5 and has 8GB RAM ) I use at work has OSX 10.8.2. and asked the IT guy if there was a chance to upgrade it, just for the hell of it.

He said it was faulty and it could kill and corrupt the entire machine.

What a fucking knob. It's probably from 2011 and would be much faster with 10.12 or 10.13 on it, assuming the applications you need to run on it are compatible (aka good luck with Creative Suite and Office).

Wiped out my entire system a did a clean install. Other than kernel_task taking up some CPU and writing a crapload of metadata for a while, it's been a really smooth update. Performance feels top-notch.

APFS doing it's thing:

kz9z8Xz.png

When APFS does its copy-but-not-a-copy of a file, does the copy show up as taking an equal amount of disc space to the original, or does it show the "real", smaller amount of space?

The latter behavior makes me... uncomfortable. If I have a folder on my hard drive with 15gb worth of files, I expect that folder to fit on a 16gb thumb drive. If it doesn't, it's going to create a lot of confusing situations.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
since the upgrade the movie covers in iTunes load slow, when I click on a movie to expand.

might try a re-start into safe mode later and see if that fixes it.

I'm curious about the Hackintoshability of this one.

I do have a legit Mac Mini to pull it off the store

Early results are that it doesn't seem to be causing any more problems than most major releases. A lot of users will be able to update normally through the mac app store without doing anything special.

gruenel

When APFS does its copy-but-not-a-copy of a file, does the copy show up as taking an equal amount of disc space to the original, or does it show the "real", smaller amount of space?

The latter behavior makes me... uncomfortable. If I have a folder on my hard drive with 15gb worth of files, I expect that folder to fit on a 16gb thumb drive. If it doesn't, it's going to create a lot of confusing situations.

As you can see in the screenshot above your post, it shows both. Original size and size on disk.

John_B

It behaves as you would expect. All of the copies are simple references to the original file. Only when one of the copies are modified is new data written.

jstripes

Banned
This is the worst time I've ever had installing macOS.

I tried to install one of the early betas, which converted my Fusion Drive to APFS, but the install didn't take, so I reverted back to Sierra and HFS+. No biggie, I'll wait for GM.

Now, because, according to a recent document from Apple, I didn't revert in the correct way, it's looking like I'm going to have to wipe my drives, remake my Fusion Drive, install, and then restore from Time Machine again, which takes all night.

Ugh.

Ninja Dom

Okay, I'm all installed.

I'm using a 1GB Samsung SSD in my iMac. Will I automatically use the new file format or do I have to do something?

EDIT: Just checked Disk Utility and my Macintosh HD is an 'APFS Volume'.

Just a heads up to Cintiq owners from Wacom:

Apple has announced 10.13 High Sierra will be released September 25th. Wacom is currently working on a new driver update to support the new operating system. The new Wacom driver will be ready by late October at the latest. Due to nature of the changes in High Sierra, the existing Wacom driver for 10.12 will not work. To continue to use your tablet uninterrupted, Wacom suggests not to upgrade to 10.13 until the new driver is released. Once released the update will appear in the Wacom Desktop Center and posted on the Wacom driver page

Miyahon

Anyone able to get any HEVC videos to work? I tried a few I found online and none of them work even the ones from Digital Foundry Patreon subscribers. Judging from some comments I found Quicktime seems to only support HEVC files that use hvc1 and nothing else.

cjp

Well I think it’s fucked.

I don’t think the progress bar on the install has moved for an hour and a half.

😭😭😭😭

Wiped out my entire system a did a clean install. Other than kernel_task taking up some CPU and writing a crapload of metadata for a while, it's been a really smooth update. Performance feels top-notch.

APFS doing it's thing:

kz9z8Xz.png

Clean install. Did you do that through a USB?

NekoFever

True, that's pretty big, as long as you have an SSD. I'm using a 2011 iMac with a hard drive, so I won't get much out of this update. But then, it's over 6 years old.

If the drive is upgradable in yours, it's well worth sticking an SSD in there. I put one in my 2011 MBP and the difference was revelatory – put off feeling like I needed a new computer for a couple of years.

I'm not sure what's up with that screengrab I posted because I can't replicate it.

Say I have a folder with a 3MB file and I copy that file within that folder. My thinking would be that the folder would still be 3MB on-disk since the copy is a clone, but it displays as 6MB. Looking at the file info or even through metadata command like mdls doesn't give any indication that it's a clone. I'm sure there must be some way to figure it out but I haven't been able to find it.

Clean install. Did you do that through a USB?

Yup. Created an install USB, wiped the SSD, then installed. Just follow these guides:

http://wccftech.com/create-macos-high-sierra-usb-installer/
http://wccftech.com/clean-install-macos-high-sierra-final-version/

Reversed

Well I think it's fucked.

I don't think the progress bar on the install has moved for an hour and a half.

��������

I had "45 minutes left" for like an hour. Then the fan started spinning and little and the progress bar started moving.

The ETA sucks, that's for sure, but I wouldn't pull the plug.

Installed it last night on my MacBook Pro 💻 and really liking how everything is sync with my iPad. Copy on my iPad, I can paste it on my MacBook. Xcode does seem to open faster as well and safari seems better. I only got to play around with it for a few minutes last night so I’ll definitely try it out more later today.

cjp

Is it converting your drive to APFS? Because that takes a while.

Yeah, looks like it had got stuck though.

I followed these instructions and it took about 40 minutes - no data lost so need to restore from Time Machine.

So after waiting for almost 4 hours I gave up and force closed my Macbook Pro. I restarted it and the mac failed to boot up showing me some kernal commands. Got me really scared as i didn't take any backup of my files. These are the steps I took to successfully install High Sierra without losing my data :)

1. Restart your mac in to Recovery Mode by holding down the Command (⌘) and R keys during startup.

2. Go to disk Utility and run the First Aid for Macintosh HD. Make sure your mac is connected to WIFI.

3. Restart again in the Internet Recovery Mode by holding down Command (⌘) – Option (⌥) – R. It will take some time to finish its process. When finished it will take you back to the normal recovery mode automatically.

4. Now Select Install a new copy of MAC OS. It will take 45 minutes to install here. After completing this process your MAC will restart and do the installation again for 45 minutes. ( I dont know why it happened two times but both the times it was real quick. It didn't freeze anywhere.)

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...g-time-remaining.2072186/page-2#post-25124099

XICEMAN

Neo Member
Its 2017,is it necessary to say "free" update? lol

Which OS updates aren't free now days?

Android “ on selected smartphone, chosen by certain vendor that do not release proper update by decent time, in order to push al the sellout of new models”

Mobius 1

Just a heads up to Cintiq owners from Wacom:

Apple has announced 10.13 High Sierra will be released September 25th. Wacom is currently working on a new driver update to support the new operating system. The new Wacom driver will be ready by late October at the latest. Due to nature of the changes in High Sierra, the existing Wacom driver for 10.12 will not work. To continue to use your tablet uninterrupted, Wacom suggests not to upgrade to 10.13 until the new driver is released. Once released the update will appear in the Wacom Desktop Center and posted on the Wacom driver page

Unbelievable. Wacom really needs some fucking competition.

Top Bottom