• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| French Presidential Elect 2017 - La France est toujours insoumise; Le Pen loses

GAF Decides

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alx

As expected following the news is just frustrating but I can't help myself. They must have said for the tenth time that the turnout is 28.54% at noon.
"and now to Germaine Duchmol at the ministry. Germaine what can you tell us about the turnout ?
Well it was at 28.54% at noon..."

We're sort of getting started with our electoral process here in the UK so I'm not completely current, but from what I'm reading, it's *probably* going to be a Macron vs Le Pen fight in the 2nd round, but it's annoyingly close between the three not-Le Pen front runners to actually make a confident prediction?

Same.

Bumped intro some of my despicable neighbour at the polling station, who tried to go straight from the bulletin table to the ballot box. Brought me a smile when he was called to order by the staff, being told that the law obliged him to pick all candidates' bulletins, and to make his choice in the booth.
He moaned about useless laws. Probably voted FN.
LOL
Pas tous les bulletins, la loi dit deux bulletins au minimum (ce qu'a fait MLP ce matin d'ailleurs...)

le-seb

Ce qui est assez illogique en soi, compte tenu de l'objectif visé.
C'est pour ça que je prends toujours tous les bulletins.

I even agreed to help for the ballot count tonight (first time for me), so I guess I won't even get to watch the first results on TV. I wonder if the counters get to know about them, on one hand it would make sense not to, but on the other hand it's hard to hold that information when everybody has a smartphone in his pocket.
I've done that few years ago, and we had been asked to turn our phones off until the process was finished.
Not that you must be kept unaware of what's going on outside, but simply to avoid distractions that may introduce errors in the counting process.

It's a nice experience to have at least once in a lifetime.

Just came back. I think the youngest person waiting in line before I arrived was probably 75, lol. Le Pen is going to do well around here.

I went with Macron and I already have buyer's remorse. I don't know, I voted PS all my life but I just couldn't do it this time.

FDC1

A voté.

That was weird, there were 4 voting offices in the gymanuium, 3 (including mine) with zero waiting time and 1 with a ridiculously long line.

70+ people are in the majority voting Fillon, not Le Pen

Edit : and actually I'm quite sure the worst scores the FN does is with seniors, I'm not able to search for numbers at the moment though

Alej

Banned

Edit : and actually I'm quite sure the worst scores the FN does is with seniors, I'm not able to search for numbers at the moment though

They want you to work longer to pay them. 70+ voting for Fillon is a middle-finger to every one else.

Shahadan

Yes that's what some people are calling "le plafond gris"
Seniors are like 30% of those who actually vote and most of them don't vote FN.

LordZagry

Neo Member

True, and seniors are the population with the lowest abstention, that's why there is a real risk of a Fillon vs Le Pen 2nd turn :(

Yeah, everyone should do a ballot count at least once in their lifetime, it's an interesting experience. The first time I did it was in 2007 and it was like 70% Sarkozy where I was. I had actually voted blanc that time but I was happy to help.

We were asked to do it for the LR primary and didn't find it in ourselves to do it, because quite frankly I didn't see myself spending an hour bonding with these people.

When we were asked this morning, we answered (truthfully) that we wouldn't even be in the country tonight, but they must have thought we were assholes making terrible excuses rather than answering truthfully.

I'm a bit anxious about that turnout. On the one hand, I'm happy because it's generally a bad sign for FN. On the other hand, it might be a sign that Fillon is surging and the more I hear him, the less I want him anywhere near the run-off.

G.O.O.

Not voted yet.

Full disclosure, my gf is a solid leftist (she would have voted Hamon if he had a chance, might go for Poutou) and she's salty that I'm voting for Macron. She was still trying to change my mind yesterday night, so I theatened not to vote at all.

Most of my friends probably hate EM too, so wish me luck for the next few weeks <_>

Manoko

Not voted yet.

Full disclosure, my gf is a solid leftist (she would have voted Hamon if he had a chance, might go for Poutou) and she's salty that I'm voting for Macron. She was still trying to change my mind yesterday night, so I theatened not to vote at all.

Most of my friends probably hate EM too, so wish me luck for the next few weeks <_>

I mean, if you want more of what's been happening these past few years, then sure Macron is a safe vote to achieve that.

You can still do the right thing and vote Mélenchon ;-)

Damn right !

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
A voté (par procuration).

Went with Macron. My family basically went split: 2 for Macron, 2 for Hamon, if only to strike a balance between safety and conviction (even though we're not hardcore leftists).

Koren

We're sort of getting started with our electoral process here in the UK so I'm not completely current, but from what I'm reading, it's *probably* going to be a Macron vs Le Pen fight in the 2nd round, but it's annoyingly close between the three not-Le Pen front runners to actually make a confident prediction?
"Probably" doesn't qualify.

Latest polls:

One done for a candidate : LePen (26) and Fillon (22). Macron (21) and Mélenchon (17) are out.

Another one : Macron (24) and Le Pen (23). Fillon (20,5) and Mélenchon (18,5) are out.

Odoxa : Macron (24.5) and Le Pen (23). Fillon (19) and Mélenchon (19) are out.

Opinionway : Macron (23) and Le Pen (22). Fillon (21) and Mélenchon (18) are out.

As far as big data go:

Filteris : Fillon (22) and LePen (21,5). Mélenchon (21) and Macron (20) are out.

Vigiglobe : Probably Fillon, Macron and Mélenchon in a tie for 2nd, LePen out.

PredictMyPresident : LePen (24) and Fillon (22). Macron (20) and Mélenchon (19) out.

In short: it's pretty much random at this point... Macron goes from 1st to 4th, LePen from 1st to 4th, Fillon from 1st to 3rd, Mélenchon from 2nd to 4th.

But also consider that polls don't take into account outre-mer, which, with the support of Flosse to Mélechon, has favored Mélenchon.

Koren

When I think that the modern idea of democracy is that if people talk, understand, and vote as they should, election should be a unanime vote...

The idea behind those kind of elections is that there's always errors, which make the unanimity not a thing. Using majority is just a way to guess what the correct unanimity vote would be.

We say polls are wrong with a 5% error, but technically, according to the philosophical principles of democracy, at the very least 80% of people voting are *wrong*. And probably more, because the ones that vote for the "correct" candidate (democracy principles says there's one, and only one correct vote) are definitively not ALL voting for him/her for the correct reasons...

Democracy just doesn't work...

When I think that the modern idea of democracy is that if people talk, understand, and vote as they should, election should be a unanime vote...

The idea behind those kind of elections is that there's always errors, which make the unanimity not a thing. Using majority is just a way to guess what the correct unanimity vote would be.

We say polls are wrong with a 5% error, but technically, according to the philosophical principles of democracy, at the very least 80% of people voting are *wrong*. And probably more, because the ones that vote for the "correct" candidate (democracy principles says there's one, and only one correct vote) are definitively not ALL voting for him/her for the correct reasons...

Democracy just doesn't work...

2/20

Weird analysis, confuses a lot of things, forgets to even cite what "we" or philosophical principle he's refering to?

Terrible conclusion.

Hope this poster starts reading philosophy before he tries talking about it, or he surely won't get his baccalauréat in two years !

ty_hot

1- LePen not going to second round
2- Melechon going to the second round

If one of these things happen, I am already happy.

NaviLink

A voté.

At 2PM, participation seemed pretty good in my polling station. French people abroad seem to massively go out to vote, some cities have people waiting for hours before being able to cast their votes. Encouraging, especially since it was feared abstention was going to be high. Let's hope that's confirmed tonight.

Latest polls:

One done for a candidate : LePen (26) and Fillon (22). Macron (21) and Mélenchon (17) are out.

Another one : Macron (24) and Le Pen (23). Fillon (20,5) and Mélenchon (18,5) are out.

Opinionway : Macron (23) and Le Pen (22). Fillon (21) and Mélenchon (18) are out.

As far as big data go:

Filteris : Fillon (22) and LePen (21,5). Mélenchon (21) and Macron (20) are out.

PredictMyPresident : LePen (24) and Fillon (22). Macron (20) and Mélenchon (19) out.

In short: it's pretty much random at this point... Macron goes from 1st to 4th, LePen from 1st to 4th, Fillon from 1st to 3rd, Mélenchon from 2nd to 4th.

But also consider that polls don't take into account outre-mer, which, with the support of Flosse to Mélechon, has favored Mélenchon.

That really is all over the place for the top 4. Let's hope that Fliteris is the closest to reality.

Koren

Weird analysis, confuses a lot of things, forgets to even cite what "we" or philosophical principle he's refering to?

Terrible conclusion.
I won't try to discuss philosophy in a foreign language, that would be awfully tricky. But I've discussed it a lot with faculty teachers. In fact, I read a lot about this and discussed it a lot, because I couldn't understand the idea why the majority should rule the minorities. Turned out that indeed that'd far far from the idea of democracy.

The modern idea behind democracy, developped by "les lumières", doesn't imply decisions taken at the majority unless some principles are checked, and they basically aren't. It's just that we lack any convincing solutions to get closer to a democratic ideal.

And I've got my baccalaureat 22 years ago, thanks ;)

Not voted yet.

you can always lie to her on how you voted
Yeah, no. Fillon-Le Pen is an awful run off. Probably my worst case scenario, if only because it gives MLP a very solid chance.
Fillon v Le Pen is just as aweful as Mélanchon v Le Pen.

a bunch of Putin puppets

TheMan

Latest polls:

As far as big data go:

it's close but le pen is in the top 2 for all polls except for one. France, are you really gonna look at Trump and say- "yeah, i want that shit." ?

Sinsem

A healthy relationship for sure.

it's close but le pen is in the top 2 for all polls except for one. France, are you really gonna look at Trump and say- "yeah, i want that shit." ?

First of all, it's only the first round, we're nowhere near the Trump situation.
And also, most of Le Pen voters don't give a shit about everything that happens outside their own country.

Koren

Also Filteris is worthless honestly, it's not polls and they don't even disclose the way they analyse social media """buzz""".
I tend to agree, although I don't think we have all the details about the polling process (especially the postprocessing) and the polls have been really wrong in the past, such as in primaries, so they're not reliable either.

I'd say that judging the predictors on their success seems interesting. You can always try to understand why they're right after.

Not that Filteris has such a good history (Trump and Fillon in primaries, but they expected Sarkozy as runner-up, they missed Hamon for the other primaries)

Fillon v Le Pen is just as aweful as Mélanchon v Le Pen.

a bunch of Putin puppets
I haven't hidden my dislike for parts of Mélenchon's platform, but I feel he'd be way more likely to compromise between both rounds than sociopathic German Wings Francois who's going to go all in on his bullshit and wonder why everyone hates him. I'm not particularly rooting for this scenario, mind you, as I'd love for MLP to be out tonight.

Makareu

Just a reminder that first round and second round are two different beasts.
Not to downplay the growing and alarming support for Le Pen, but the main issue is the quality of the other leading candidates and the overall 'beyond salvage' state of the traditional parties.

Koren

And also, most of Le Pen voters don't give a shit about everything that happens outside their own country.
Not true... They applaud Brexit, and many applaud Trump too (based on three things they roughly heard on TV).

That being said, Trump is the king of 180° turns, if LePen does exactly the opposite as she promise, we may have something decent ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom