• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch | Anniversary Event

RockmanBN

Lmao. Brother got 100 boxes and got 3 Lucio skins in a row. Dude is devastated. Lucio 4 times, Zarya 3 times, Symetra twice, and the rest were regular legends. Shouldn't of paid to gamble on that.

I have never played Total Mayhem before and I love it and hate it at the same time. I have fun playing with Ana and Winston but I would like to play with other heroes, what other heroes are good in this mode?

I have never played Total Mayhem before and I love it and hate it at the same time. I have fun playing with Ana and Winston but I would like to play with other heroes, what other heroes are good in this mode?

Zarya and Tracer

basically the more active abilities that rely on cooldowns someone has the better, someone like zen barely benefits from this, although discord is probably really useful in the mode if you've got a coordinated team

The idea behind why event legendaries are 3000 coins to buy but return 200 as a dupe (the dupe return of a standard legendary) is pretty simple, because they want to make the acquisition of the legendary skins rarer and event limited while not skewing the economy they've set up between standard drops. It's the same logic as to why legendary coin drops are 500 as opposed to a full 1000 -- it's not there to give you a full legendary of your choosing as that would make the regular legendary drops worse as a result, and having a dupe give you more than a legendary coin drop would skew the reward scale there as well.

So the idea is that as far as loot boxes are concerned, a legendary pull is a legendary pull, but the ability to purchase them is there as a last ditch effort if you REALLY want something specific and have the coins for it, but it'll be at a premium as it's for a limited time for the rotational event.

Sombra is great if you really want to be the no fun police. Hacking and EMPing away abilities is a godsend here.

The idea behind why event legendaries are 3000 coins to buy but return 200 as a dupe (the dupe return of a standard legendary) is pretty simple, because they want to make the acquisition of the legendary skins rarer and event limited while not skewing the economy they've set up between standard drops. It's the same logic as to why legendary coin drops are 500 as opposed to a full 1000 -- it's not there to give you a full legendary of your choosing as that would make the regular legendary drops worse as a result, and having a dupe give you more than a legendary coin drop would skew the reward scale there as well.

So the idea is that as far as loot boxes are concerned, a legendary pull is a legendary pull, but the ability to purchase them is there as a last ditch effort if you REALLY want something specific and have the coins for it, but it'll be at a premium as it's for a limited time for the rotational event.
Sounds like it should be double the cost instead of triple then.

Opto

Banned
Has someone worked out the math on how the odds are made for event loot boxes? Like if you get a blue result, it randomly selects from the pool of blue items (which includes the event stuff) or there's a slight bias in picking event items from the pool.

I also can't tell if I'm getting more duplicates more often because of changed drop rates or just because of my owning of items obviously increases the chance of something being a duplicate

There really should be logic in the loot boxes that prevent dupes of legendary items. Every time i've gotten event boxes, I always get dupes of the same few skins, while others never show up.

ZugZug123

As they have more and more of this timed events, the chance of getting the latest skins gets lower and lower. Not going to fall into that trap. Will keep playing at my pace and accumulate gold and buy 1-2 items per event I really want.

Wheatly

Lmao. Brother got 100 boxes and got 3 Lucio skins in a row. Dude is devastated. Lucio 4 times, Zarya 3 times, Symetra twice, and the rest were regular legends. Shouldn't of paid to gamble on that.

There really should be logic in the loot boxes that prevent dupes of legendary items. Every time i've gotten event boxes, I always get dupes of the same few skins, while others never show up.

Blizzard -

s-09bba1d9dd9e7b7407730a804621dea365b73036.gif

Permanently A

As they have more and more of this timed events, the chance of getting the latest skins gets lower and lower. Not going to fall into that trap. Will keep playing at my pace and accumulate gold and buy 1-2 items per event I really want.

Exactly what I'm doing. I've accumulated a small nest egg of 12k gold which I am using sparingly, 1-2 skins an event. That way I can keep purchasing 1-2 new skins each event provided I collect 3-6k credits in between events, which gets increasingly easier as my collection is completed and boxes have more and more dupes.

Veldin

I don't know how ya'll can buy loot boxes. It's such a rip off. The last ten free boxes I opened had jack shit in them so I can't imagine paying for that.

Cytezan

OK, I kinda legit feel bad after reading some of these stories.

I opened my first loot box (the one you get free with the event) and get Mei's event legendary. I play a few games and get my 2nd lootbox, this gives me Zarya's event legendary.

I then proceed to get a 3rd lootbox playing after arcade mode and get an Orisa legendary skin (not an event skin, but still a skin I never had)...

...honestly have no idea what the fudge happened there.

It's a shame because I don't even like these event skins... and all other events I have been screwed over for skins, never getting anything.

Permanently A

"You can earn free loot boxes by playing Arcade matches."

Nope....

I'd rather self-mutilate myself than to go through this shit any more. Fuck Arcade. The Uprising event was the only tolerable mode ever cause each match was a guaranteed win, the rest of this is a frustrating piece of time waste. 5 matches. 5 losses. Fuck this.

Play Mystery Heroes if you're not good enough to win in 3v3 and 1v1

xaosslug

Mei is a monster in Total Mayhem - she makes Zarya look like a puppy and needs char switching/team coordination to even contend with.

Hanjo's another character that's super annoying in TM as well as McCree, and then there's D.Va.

a good D.Va/Mei combo can prove quite the hindrance.

Zarya in TM is iffy, most teams dismantle her pretty quickly unless her personal bubble is on 0 cd... in which case ALWAYS PICK Zarya and run the board to the point her only "counter pick" is another Zarya. LOL

Mystery Heroes is one massive RNG roll though.

Yeah but that's why I love it. It's my go to mode when I just wanna mess around and have some fun in Overwatch. And if you play it a bunch it forces you to learn the ins and outs of pretty much all the characters

So jelly :p

I've played OW since the closed beta and I never opened a box w/ 2 legendaries.

Same. Player since Beta and never had a dual Legendary Box

Gxgear

Symmetra is reliable dps when both teams are forced to clash on the payload the entire game. For the same reason Lucio is insanely good for aura healing. IMO best comp for this is Lucio/Symmetra/Zarya/Winston/Ana (although on attack I would consider swapping her out since payload heals). Last spot I'd say interchangeable between Pharah (constant air presence, hitscan sucks since everyone has so much hp, Mei for obvious reasons, and maybe Torb (boh him and the turret are ridiculously tanky, high ult uptime).

Kain

Mei is an absolute inmortal annoying beast in Total mayhem. Winston is incredible too. Tracer is bullshit as she has always been.

I don't know how ya'll can buy loot boxes. It's such a rip off. The last ten free boxes I opened had jack shit in them so I can't imagine paying for that.

It's the good ol' gacha trap, you slowly become accustomed to it and before you know it you're spending hundreds of dollars every new "event" for that new shiny.

It's kinda amazing to see how Blizzard trained their player base to buy into it.

Won

It's the good ol' gacha trap, you slowly become accustomed to it and before you know it you're spending hundreds of dollars every new "event" for that new shiny.

It's kinda amazing to see how Blizzard trained their player base to buy into it.

Following these threads is always both fascinating and scary. People basically frustrated that skins seem to have become rarer, while at the same time more and more seem to straight up buy 100 boxes.

Makes you wonder how far Blizzard is gonna push this.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm having even more fun trying those heroes and yes Zarya and Tracer are very annoying in this mode lol

Now I need to get better at 3v3 and 1v1 too, I want those loot boxes :(

No its not. I played over 20 matches yesterday and would get 200 xp per match. 600 xp on matches that lasted longer than usual.

i was getting 2000 for winning 3 rounds in about 4minutes playtime.
played with friends.

edit: 3v3 has ALWAYS been the fastest way. Most XP in 1 match i've had is 12k xp.

vixlar

Has someone worked out the math on how the odds are made for event loot boxes? Like if you get a blue result, it randomly selects from the pool of blue items (which includes the event stuff) or there's a slight bias in picking event items from the pool.

I also can't tell if I'm getting more duplicates more often because of changed drop rates or just because of my owning of items obviously increases the chance of something being a duplicate

My theory is after getting which combination you have (white white blue white ¬¬) it choses from there which one will be the event one. That one RNG's from event items, but only from that color. The other three RNG's from all the items of that color, but it includes normals and event. I remember once I got three event items on one loot box!!! (sprays).

LiK

Mei is an absolute inmortal annoying beast in Total mayhem. Winston is incredible too. Tracer is bullshit as she has always been.

You haven't felt pain unless you were being constantly slept by an Ana troll who sleeps you for most of the match and just sits and stares at you.

Following these threads is always both fascinating and scary. People basically frustrated that skins seem to have become rarer, while at the same time more and more seem to straight up buy 100 boxes.

Makes you wonder how far Blizzard is gonna push this.

It'll only become worse as long as the player base is okay with it, heck it's always being defended with either "it's only cosmetic" and "these whales keep the game alive for me". Very little regard towards the predatory nature of gacha mechanics.

Hero

It'll only become worse as long as the player base is okay with it, heck it's always being defended with either "it's only cosmetic" and "these whales keep the game alive for me". Very little regard towards the predatory nature of gacha mechanics.

I'm fine with the way they are handling loot boxes. Come at me.

void666

Banned
I just started playing overwatch. Got the new tracer and genji skins.

I would pay for the skins i want. But i'd never pay for loot boxes which i don't know what i'll get. I'm not going to spend money and be at the mercy of RNG.

marrec

Banned
I'm fine with the way they are handling loot boxes. Come at me.

I actually LIKE the way they handle it. I like the thrill of the chase and looking forward to the next set of time limited shit. It makes my actively happy.

Suck it haters.

marrec

Banned
Suggestion: Less dupes and more dupe currency.

Suck it lovers.
Ugh fine, as long as it's not too much cause I sustain myself on the salt generated by these events and I don't wanna have to go back to DOTA 2 for my necessary salt intake

People's outrage over the "gambling" involved in getting free cosmetic items for playing an enjoyable videogame is mystifying to me.

I agree that loot boxes should not be pushed on kids, but c'mon. On a list of the videogame industry's sins, this doesn't crack a top thirty.

Played for an hour for the first time in months last night. Got my free loot box and then earned one more. Got the Genji Skin. Pretty cool. I want the symetra one though as she is my fav char.

PMS341

People's outrage over the "gambling" involved in getting free cosmetic items for playing an enjoyable videogame is mystifying to me.

I agree that loot boxes should not be pushed on kids, but c'mon. On a list of the videogame industry's sins, this doesn't crack a top thirty.

People spend a lot of money on loot boxes.

Top Bottom