• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch | Anniversary Event

OVDRobo

Aiming for Genji, Hanzo, Zarya and Soldier.

Symmetra and Bastion are also okay, but not things I'd actively hope to get.

Don't care about the rest. Tracer's is sort of cool but it's a Tracer skin. She's got too many already and I certainly don't need another.

Not like I have a choice anyway. I'll get what I'm gifted by RNGesus.

Beth Cyra

Well this is the first event I have zero desire to drop money on skins so that would be the one nice thing about the no Mercy or Widow options.

Rein with no mask has the best dance in the game and I will get his Widow's and Mercy.

Bought the Mercy card straight away, needed to show my queen :)

CugdXpd.png

tumblr_mld3chSldN1qaa8d1o1_500.gif

JSoup

Banned
I like that my one free loot box gave me the only skin I care about.
Come on, Blizz, give us more Sentai/Rider skins. DO IT.

Well at least we didn't get a Mercy skin. That's a nice change of pace. Gives another character a chance to get a skin.

Too bad Tracer still got one.

Feeling the Genji and D.va and Pharah... maybe Mei. Everything else is questionable at best.
Yea, there's no theme to em.

I feel better. Thread was making me feel like I need to get my eyes checked.

Perhaps my opinion will change when I see some of them in game? Because I am wholly uninspired to get more than a couple of these. Lack of theme/reason behind their designs (beyond "hey let's make everyone a cyborg") is bothering me for whatever reason.

So it looks like this is yet another timed event. I figured they would have these be permanent skins that we can unlock after the event is over given the fact that its the 1 year anniversary.

I get why they do it, but its getting kind of annoying having to put aside every other game so that I can play Overwatch to get what I want.

Can we please, for the love of god, just have some new skins that come in regular loot boxes?
Nope, cause then it hurts people buying so many damn loot boxes for the limited skins.

Paltheos

Where's the Zenyatta skin?

Zen got legendaries in the Christmas and Chinese New Year events so no surprise there's nothing new this time. Nutcracker being a fun joke skin and Sanzang being one of the best skins in the game outright leaves me perfectly satisfied.

Keasar

Yep. Spending money on getting these. Think I spend a total of $120 to get everything for Uprising >_____________________________>

If shit is gonna be this expensive I expect the next year to release 12 heroes and at least 24 maps considering how much money they earn from these loot boxes.

They seriously have no excuse for this slow pace of new content. Taking too long animating one character? Well hire a legion of animators then, Blizzard have more than enough money for that.

Dunfisch

This is like a new record in terms of lootbox bait. I'll freely admit that there's some awesome skins in there, but it's all legendaries. Gonna be funny - again - trying to get anywhere without ponying up.

Thankfully, salt doesn't stay with me forever and I can go back to not caring once the event is over =P .

I feel better. Thread was making me feel like I need to get my eyes checked.

Perhaps my opinion will change when I see some of them in game? Because I am wholly uninspired to get more than a couple of these. Lack of theme/reason behind their designs (beyond "hey let's make everyone a cyborg") is bothering me for whatever reason.
Do they need a theme? It's just an anniversary celebration.

gagecube

Banned
I played 3v3 and 1v1 for two lootboxes, got a legendary in each one. Legendary OG soldier and torb skins.

thank u blizz

Valahart

Genji's is my favorite.

Also want to get my hands on D.va's, Symmetra's, Tracer's, Lucio's, maybe Mei's.

I'm actually surprised I seem to like most of them, they really did focus on showing the crappiest ones first didn't they?

I still think it's ridiculous that you can't even buy event loot with currency after the event is over.
It is, it makes sense for events that have themed skins like Halloween or Winter Wonderland or Chinese New Year but the Uprising and Anniversary skins should stay. Especially since they're so legendary heavy which means you're not getting most of them even if you pay with some real money. They're also 3 times the normal price so adding them to the regular pool will hardly make them easy access.

jediyoshi

If shit is gonna be this expensive I expect the next year to release 12 heroes and at least 24 maps considering how much money they earn from these loot boxes.

It's "this much" by virtue of having chosen to spend that much, on the other end of the spectrum was $0.

The skins look great, but at the same time i don't really see how they fit in with the characters or the lore. They mostly just seem pretty random.

Luigi87

Omg, these are the kind of skins I've been waiting for to be added to the game. Fun, non holiday ones.

Love Kamen Rider Genji, and D.Va's

Sealtest

Holy crap that Symmetra skin is beautiful! I can't figure out what it reminds me of though.

Edit - I figured it out. The Joy Angels from Bayonetta.

Also I don't "get" D.Va's skin. Her outfit looks like a cool 50's greaser thing but her MEKA looks like something else entirely.

Am I missing something?

PullumPurna

Neo Member
This Symmetra skin is GORGEOUS!! The Mei one is nice too, but I can't play as Mei to save my life...
Anyways, excited to play it! Lemme update my game (my ps4 is SCREAMING for space D:)

The D.Va mech skin reminds me of:

Yeah, immediately got a Fallout vibe from her set combining the midcentury aesthetic with robots.

And D.va just got the cop skin. It's an embarrassment of riches, Blizz needs to let us choose loadouts in the hero select screen.

Dunfisch

Yep. Spending money on getting these. Think I spend a total of $120 to get everything for Uprising >_____________________________>

And this is why it'll continue in the same manner. I'm not gonna knock you, or anyone specifically, but the playerbase on the whole behaves like that sufficiently enough so that it won't change. Blizzard hit a real moneymaker with OW.

It makes me wonder, to be honest. The game is polished to a degree rarely seen, and I got every cent worth of fun out of the initial purchase... but must I really expect that the route new content = amount of lootboxes bought will stick? It's a basic truth, to be fair, greater revenue can translate to bigger budgets, can translate to great game, which is what OW achieves with aplomb. I only question where it would be with the possibility of buying specific skins / cosmetics outright. Heck, make 'em comparatively expensive, say that if you could plunk down 40 bucks for 50 crates and get thereabouts 4 legendary skins out of it, along with whatever else come out of it, make the expense of a legandary like... 4-5 bucks. Seems about in-line with other titles. Not happening soon, I guess. Lootboxes bringing in that cash =P .

Maybe with Year 2, or with each repeat event they'll unlock previous items for the regular pool. Would be nice to see and still provide that feeling of exclusivity for those who spent cash on boxes during the events the first time around.

Yes, I am venting a little. This straight up RNG when spending money is a practice I'm not gonna support, ever. I'll be more than glad to plunk down cash and support for meaty expansions or hefty content packs, but at least then I know what I'm getting.
I'd still not buy cosmetics even if I could get the directly, but I'd eliminate the glorified gambling.

Defuser

I WILL BUY HARE HARE YUKAI DANCE. Nothing beats putting a large icicle into your enemy's head and then do the Haruhi dance.

Top Bottom