• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch has destroyed me

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Can't say anything was this much of a long-lasting addiction to me.

Phantasy Star Online came close, but in the pre-broadband days I was limited to how much I could play every day.

The fist years of TF2, I played OW for a while looking and longing that feel again, and for the few first months OW sort of almost did it, but it fade away rather quickly.
Maybe TF3 someday, maybe...

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
dota 2

instead of studying for my mid-term and getting shit done i've been refreshing any source i can waiting for info on the new dota patch lmfao

it's like a drug

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I played a lot of Overwatch but the community did a great job turning me off the game.
Just got sick and tired of everybody blaming everybody else all the time. Every now and again I get into a nice game with people who just want to have fun but 7 out of 10 matches I get at least one idiot in my team who just rages and rambles throughout the entire match.

Good game, but not worth it in the end, at least for me

jryeje29

Im sort of like that with civilization 5, i could go days or even weeks without playing but then the moment I do i turn into zombie who just keep on clicking next turn and next turn for hours. Even after winning a game I usually continue to play that same game until I get bored of the civ I chose and move onto another character to start the cycle again.

Ploid 3.0

Final Fantasy 11 was for me, and I loved it. I like only needing one game, it means I have a game I can constantly come back to for entertainment, something I enjoy playing. When I was a kid it was the Gran Turismo, and later GTA 3 - San Andreas.

Seeing people love DOTA2 and feel like it's the only game they need made me want to get hooked on a MOBA game, I never did. I played a crazy amount of Marvel Heroes on PC, now it's stale since they changed so much and haven't added new content for a long time.

300h?

*snort*

vILaHYT.png

Admittedly a lot of that time has been keeping the game open in the backround too.

I don't even want to know how much time I have spent on WoW over the years, especially during Vanilla.

How the hell...

I don't think I've spent that much time playing video games over the course of my entire lifetime.

I mean I know some of that is idle time, but still...

Rocket League, but not to the extremes of some people here. I think I'm on 650 hours.

Dread to think how long it played Battlefield 2 for, I had no job or family then.

maouvin

Last year I didn't play much else after Overwatch launched. I managed to walk away from it to play Gravity Rush 2 and Persona 5, then went back to it, and then Splatoon 2 came out and that's my life now.

Sequince

Neo Member
EverQuest was a Brilliant game I'd love to go back to for the community and working together but it's just not there anymore.

glaurung

Dark Age of Camelot and Destiny.

No idea how many hours I logged into DAoC, but it had to be a lot back then. What an amazing crack game. Destiny 1 totaled 4000 hours in the end, across 3.5 years.

Then again, I grow bored much easier now that I am old as fuck. D2 is already losing the grip for me.

Nere

I have 2000 hours in Dota 2 but then I realized it didn't really matter how good I played, the only thing that mattered was to have normal teamates and not idiots. Becoming better in dota sure mattered but not as much as your teamates. Plus everyone was flaming in the chat and Valve doesn't give a fuck. So if they give 0 fucks I give even less and so I quit.

benzopil

700h in Overwatch but Orisa/Junkrat/Mercy meta is a garbage diarrhea so I'm spending time in Middle-earth, South Park and Ass Creed. But I'll be back soon.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Overwatch destroyed me in a different way. The amount of anger and frustration I experienced with this game was unmatched by any other multiplayer game I have played (except maybe LoL back in the day).

I've stopped playing OW and I'm demonstrably happier. This Halloween event is the first seasonal event I haven't participated in and I'm totally cool with that.

Saganator

Team Fortress Classic. Hooked me immediately. Before long I was knee deep in the community. Started with shitty clans and moved up to playing highly competitively with the best players. Even traveled to a LAN tournament put on by CPL (are they still around?). Pretty much ruined my freshmen and sophomore years in high school due to playing TFC matches instead of doing school work and studying. Easily played for thousands of hours.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
5000+ hours in WoW using rough napkin math so that probably takes the cake for me.

I’ve got almost 800 hours in Darkest Hour (Hearts of Iron 2 overhaul) and 500+ hours in Stellaris but that was probably a lot of time spent alt tabbed.

Atlas157

My two top games are Halo Combat Evolved PC at ~1500 hours and Warframe at 785 hours, I still managed to play other games while being addicted to those two.

lumzi23

Multiplayer: Rainbow Six Vegas. This is the game that showed me how much fun multiplayer could be. The Assassination mode... Wow!

Single player: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. My favorite game of all time. I picked it up and dropped it nearly immediately. Then came back a couple of weeks later and spent much of my waking hours eating it up. Best game I have ever played.

Yep, even though I play less than 6 months ago, and I think the community is awful and Blizzard makes some baffling decisions. I'm still not playing anything else. It's still fun to just get on with your friends and laugh and how laughably outmatched you are/how bad teammates are shoot the shit, etc. And when everything is clicking the game is still unmatched in fun factor.

MCD

I‘m addicted to this game and nothing else compares. I try getting away from it by buying other games but I‘d always let them collect dust and play some OW matches instead. It‘s Action non-stop, it always demands my attention, it‘s 80% fun and I sometimes die of laughter. 300h and it doesn‘t get boring in the slightest.

Do you also have a holy grail game?

It's the only game I play now on my Xbox. I rage, I laugh, I tilt, meet new friends.

It's basically my life right now. People tell me that I have to play other games like Cuphead (which I should do) but I just can't quit this.

As our goddess Mercy says: Sometimes you scare me.

Kysen

Same, instant action keeps me coming back. Even worse I go through periods of hating the game and wanting to quit due to comp losses but it always pulls me back in. I bought the game 3 times and have bought loads of boxes, I can't get enough. Every new game that comes out gets bought and then just sits there unplayed.

Crazyorloco

Hearthstone.

I hate some of the cards.

I still hate the priest Class.

but damn it i've played hundreds of hours of Hearthstone.

I don't play it as much, but starcraft (both the original and part 2) is another game where i've put in a billion hours to....wait a second i'm seeing a blizzard pattern here.

Call of duty modern warfare 2 really hooked me back in the day. I put a ridiculous amount of hours in that game.

Ah yes,Evercrack. I made fun of you guys back in the day, but then I got hooked on Dark Age of Camelot and everything became clear to me why you all were so addicted.

Lol, exact same thing happened to me.

Made fun of my buddies for playing EQ, DAoC came out and they convinced me to buy it and play Midgard with them - waved goodbye to any social life for the last two years of high school.

BigEmil

Overwatch is my main FPS Online Shooter for this gen on PS4 for sure

I mostly play every mode all the way to vs AI Hard except Ranked, play Ranked rarely

MiguelItUp

TF2 still holds the highest amount of time on my Steam account. I think Binding of Isaac / Rebirth is next.

I still think of all time is probably Quake II. I was in 8th grade when it dropped and I couldn't stop playing. :| I want to say I finally put it down by the time I was a sophomore?

I was at that point for about 15 hours with Overwatch then I was over it. No matter how into any given game I get, there always comes a point when I'm ready for something new.

Creepy

I like Overwatch a lot, the game is fun and the characters are great.

But the community is horrendous, It's so exhausting dealing with them that I don't play nearly as much as I would like to.

Ogawa-san

I actually kind of miss being this addicted to a game.

Last time I "binged" FFXIV I ended up with 1700h in a semester. That saved me a lot of money, considering all I've spent in gaming during that was the $13/month sub.

I've been addicted to WoW as well and every time I'd unsub during a lull I'd end up spending on something that I didn't care until I had time/interest to actually play other stuff. A new console, a fightstick, that long overdue TV upgrade...

Neo_MG90

For me it's surely Rocket League.
I play it whenever I have a little spare time in the past two years and it's always fun.

HeatBoost

I think my anti-social nature helps innoculate me against game addiction, as it always seem that the games that people get addicted to are multiplayer ones (which makes sense, since other human beings make for an element of randomness that makes sure there's always something weird or different, so you can never quite fully know the game)

The fact that I'm not a completionist or collector helps keep things in check, too

BraXzy

This week and next I'm trying to just avoid multiplayer games for the most part. Too many single player experiences I want to play with Mario + more on the way.

Top Bottom