• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch: Numbani map updated on PTR, Doomfist's gauntlet stolen

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't think Ana was a bait and switch, people just kept assuming that a hint for Ana was connected to Sombra.

The primary issue was that Sombra used to have a cape much more similar to Ana's, so that other Sombra teaser looked very similar.

dN7WQaM.jpg

Sombra.png

Briarios

Is it possible that Doomfist isn't the next character -- rather, the person that stole the gauntlet is the next character and Doomfist follows?

Syf

Banned
Wonder how many DLC characters they will do for this game. Three so far.

Assuming they don't make Overwatch 2 until next gen, maybe we will get like 3 more characters before they stop and focus on just more unlovable loot?

Have they ever described their vision?
They tend to support their games for years. Even Starcraft 2 is still getting new co-op heroes and maps, and that's far less popular and older than Overwatch. I think there will be more than 3 more.

Danone

Neo Member
What if Doomfist is the glove's artificial intelligence (voiced by Terry Crews) and the girl controls a bot wearing it?

edit: Also Terry has a daughter who could voice the girl, so it would be a win-win

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think Ana was a bait and switch, people just kept assuming that a hint for Ana was connected to Sombra.

It still doesn't make sense why Ana's silhouette was under the title "where is Sombra" in that newspaper image. That was why people had a strong case that Ana was Sombra.

DOWN

Banned
I just don't see an OW 2 happening. Blizzard is all in on the games as service model now, that was obvious from the lack of Diablo 4 being announced and just adding a new class to D3 instead.

Jeff did say they'd 'leave the door open' about retiring heroes which could happen if they get too many. Maybe retired the heroes that don't fit in the game
COUGH WIDOWMAKER
OW 2 or some kind of OW repackage has to happen. The game is a hit on consoles and consoles need game re-releases for them to keep up graphically. Plus I can't imagine Blizzard not eventually wanting to up the stakes of what kind of intersting stuff is seen and happening in a level and on characters visually. That means Overwatch 2 in the console world really, but maybe 4 years away.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
OW 2 or some kind of OW repackage has to happen. The game is a hit on consoles and consoles need game re-releases for them to keep up graphically. Plus I can't imagine Blizzard not eventually wanting to up the stakes of what kind of intersting stuff is seen and happening in a level and on characters visually. That means Overwatch 2 in the console world really, but maybe 4 years away.

Blizzard has moved almost entirely to platform games. I really think you'd just get a re-release of Overwatch similar to how Diablo 3 got one.

Ubisoft was even just talking on their fiscal call how they canceled a game in favor of updating the previous one indefinitely, and that's presumably Rainbow Six Siege.

Overwatch's console audience is also not the main driver here. Half the player base is in Asia and then there's a very large PC segment in the West, so the game is going to be managed around the PC norms for this type of thing.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Sombra is not a disappointment. Jeff stated that people are still to this day using her incorrectly. It is another Symmetra case of: what Jeff thinks is the right way to play her vs how the community keeps trying to play her.

Maybe retired the heroes that don't fit in the game
COUGH WIDOWMAKER

Don't get my hopes up.

Maybe Doomfist isn't who we think it is, in that it isn't Terry Crews, but Efi that replaced the villain with a do-gooder robot that has a synthetic voice that SOUNDS like Terry Crews.

POOOOWEEEEEEEEEERRRR!!!

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
That was Sombra art.

Are you referring to Sombra or Ana?

Scroll up to post 50.

I understand what you both are pointing out but look at when that image was revealed. The problem is that only Blizzard knew this was Sombra concept art until her reveal. Since they rely so heavily on recognizable silhouettes and very distinct colors for heroes, this caused a lot of confusion when Ana came out, had that silhouette, and wasn't named Sombra. This is how it felt like a bait and switch.

Edit: to clarify further, you would possibly be upset if they hinted at a silhouette of a giant person with a gauntlet, and then months later you realize it's a scrapped concept art of a future support character who happened to look like Doomfist in that one silhouette.

Zomba13

So if the next hero "isn't who we think it is" and we think it's Doomfist (hints etc) then does it mean that next hero is really spider robot piloted by 11 year old girl and the one after that is Doomfist voiced by Terry Crews, because what is the point of Doomfist voiced by anyone other than Terry Crews?

Cool wish this game had an in game story mode. I have played this game for over 200 hours I still don't know what the story is supposed to be.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Wonder how many DLC characters they will do for this game. Three so far.

Assuming they don't make Overwatch 2 until next gen, maybe we will get like 3 more characters before they stop and focus on just more unlovable loot?

Have they ever described their vision?

There wont be a 2. The only time they did sequels is for older titles that needed way more work to update or had a solid story.

Cool wish this game had an in game story mode. I have played this game for over 200 hours I still don't know what the story is supposed to be.

You should check out the animated shorts for the characters if you haven't. Sure, it's not a single overarching storyline, but the mini-stories within each short are fantastic.

kirblar

Now after Doomfist who is the next character?

All we can assume is it's either Athena robot body or the Hazmat Suit guy....
Jeff teased Athena at DICE, so she's likely still in the pipeline.
I just don't see an OW 2 happening. Blizzard is all in on the games as service model now, that was obvious from the lack of Diablo 4 being announced and just adding a new class to D3 instead.

Jeff did say they'd 'leave the door open' about retiring heroes which could happen if they get too many. Maybe retired the heroes that don't fit in the game
COUGH WIDOWMAKER
Necro was likely slated for the cancelled D3 X-Pac II. D4 is still happening.

jediyoshi

I understand what you both are pointing out but look at when that image was revealed. The problem is that only Blizzard knew this was Sombra concept art until her reveal.

If you can understand the fact that it's old concept art, I'm not sure why you can't reconcile the idea that they didn't deliberately mislead you versus using art they had on hand to get the across message.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
If you can understand the fact that it's old concept art, I'm not sure why you can't reconcile the idea that they didn't deliberately mislead you versus using art they had on hand to get the across message.

Because deliberate misleads were the entire point of the Sombra ARG and reveal. It's why I'm glad it is out of the way. I hope they don't do an ARG for any future character now that the hacker is in the roster.

Lifeline

The game needs more maps and modes, not more heroes.

Also I really hope they're not starting the new season next week too. Give people atleast a week to get over the new hero, or else there's gonna be someone insta locking her every match.

benzopil

Also I really hope they're not starting the new season next week too. Give people atleast a week to get over the new hero, or else there's gonna be someone insta locking her every match.

February 28 -- new season, new hero on PTR
people have a week to finish placements without trolls and new hero
March 7 -- new hero

that's what I think

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Necro was likely slated for the cancelled D3 X-Pac II. D4 is still happening.

I suspect he's right in spirit insomuch that I think Diablo 4 is planned as a service platform, and they're using Diablo 3 to test out ideas for how they're going to monetize it.

the hero will always go on PTR first so it doesnt matter if comp starts next week

theyve added quite a bit to the arcade and the server browser which makes things really interesting

Neoxon

So if the next hero "isn't who we think it is" and we think it's Doomfist (hints etc) then does it mean that next hero is really spider robot piloted by 11 year old girl and the one after that is Doomfist voiced by Terry Crews, because what is the point of Doomfist voiced by anyone other than Terry Crews?
That's what I initially thought before this came up.

Top Bottom