• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch: Numbani map updated on PTR, Doomfist's gauntlet stolen

OldRoutes

I just want to say that it's a real cool to tease a new character!

I'm excited and I haven't touched Overwatch in months, so it's working for me

Permanently A

So based on the leak, Efi is the next hero. She controls a quadroped drone designed to be another main tank like Reinhardt.

NOT based on the leak, because of the Doomfist connection, I think they might be setting up for a one two punch. Jeff said Doomfist wasn't the 24th hero, but wouldn't it be coy if Efi was the 24th and Doomfist was the 25th, and they were both released simultaneously during the offseason?

Also, the game is in dire need of a shieldbuster. It makes a lot of sense to add a new tank but also rein in shields by adding Doomfist at the same time.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Oh no no no ... WHAT IF......
DOOMFIST IS ACTUALLY THE FIST AND OUR NEW CHARACTER IS USING IT WTF?!!!

Doomfist always seemed like a title to me, like how Bruce Wayne, Dick Grayson, and Damien Wayne all became Batman at some point. It would explain why one Doomfist was good and the other was not.

So based on the leak, Efi is the next hero. She controls a quadroped drone designed to be another main tank like Reinhardt.

NOT based on the leak, because of the Doomfist connection, I think they might be setting up for a one two punch. Jeff said Doomfist wasn't the 24th hero, but wouldn't it be coy if Efi was the 24th and Doomfist was the 25th, and they were both released simultaneously during the offseason?

Also, the game is in dire need of a shieldbuster. It makes a lot of sense to add a new tank but also rein in shields by adding Doomfist at the same time.

bastion should be the new shield buster with his changes.

Doomfist always seemed like a title to me, like how Bruce Wayne, Dick Grayson, and Damien Wayne all became Batman at some point. It would explain why one Doomfist was good and the other was not.

It is a title.

The exhibit at Numbani specifically shows 3 different Doomfists on their exhibits.

Shield buster? We are already getting bastion buffs, and Sombra does wonders in that regard as well, what else you people want, you want rein sent into oblivion?

Permanently A

bastion should be the new shield buster with his changes.

You're right, I totally forgot about Bastion's buff. Its just a guess that Doomfist is a shield buster anyway. I would hate if they're pulling another sombra thing where they're like "oooh but what happened to the doomfist? Find out on the next episode of Overwatch 3 months from now!"

Zubz

Banned
"It's not who you think it is" must mean Terry Crews at this point. That or Doomfist is involved with the other new character coming out.

The worst thing that could come from this is another bait and switch like Ana/Sombra.

It's what I'm expecting, to be fair. Everyone's expecting Terry Crews-voiced Doomfist. If it's not, then we may be getting one without the other, but my guess is that it's the Numbani Spider Omnic, with Doomfist playing a role in her plot.

kirblar

Given that both are Numbani-based, doing both at once would make sense.

Though HOTS tried 2 at once and they swore it off after that one experiment.

o_O? Just what would be the difference then?

We have one that flies, one the does area HoTs, sniper that shoots her allies,

Mercy doesn't really fly, she glides to the nearest ally. I'm talking about one that can fly on their own. Maybe even like a mobile shield generator that can shoot people from the air, basically like a mechanical drone.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
You're right, I totally forgot about Bastion's buff. Its just a guess that Doomfist is a shield buster anyway. I would hate if they're pulling another sombra thing where they're like "oooh but what happened to the doomfist? Find out on the next episode of Overwatch 3 months from now!"

Complete with after credits Zarya stinger.

AngryMoth

The game needs more maps and modes, not more heroes
Totally disagree with this. More heroes in the tank and support classes are what I wanna see the most. More variety in available strategies would make things feel fresh for me, specifically alternatives to Lucio and Reinhardt are what's needed most at the moment.

I do hope though for the next map they tie it to a new mode (possibly ctf) instead it being another one of the 3 core modes they already have.

Dunkley

Oh no no no ... WHAT IF......
DOOMFIST IS ACTUALLY THE FIST AND OUR NEW CHARACTER IS USING IT WTF?!!!

3TGnMl2.png

Doomfist is a title given to whoever is wielding the fist.

kirblar

What if it's both a robot and Doomfist later down the line?
Seems pretty clear we're getting both - the question being "how far apart will they be" since we have the "Anchora" Spider-Mech leak matching w/ Sombra's hack-map and Efi's backstory.

This is an infinitely better way of revealing a new character and building interest than running god awful ARGs with no payoff for months on end.

maouvin

This is an infinitely better way of revealing a new character and building interest than running god awful ARGs with no payoff for months on end.

Many of the previous reveals were like this tbf - some lore post, then some breaking news following (I believe Hog and Junk were the first ones). Sombra was the only one more... elaborated, but Blizz mismanaged the ARG (which was a interesting approach given Sombra's lore) and people got pissed.

How fucking awesome is Overwatch?

I haven't been sick of this game once since launch. Idk what it is.

for me, its trying to be decent with every hero. Ive been playing since it came out and there are heroes that ive barely played at all.

Ill spend a good week or two just learning the ins and outs of a hero. ive been playing a lot of Pharah lately and shes a blast

PSqueak

Banned
So is the next character Doomfist or not?

This is a pretty telling hint, but I recall a post from one of the devs saying that "24 isn't who you think it is".

They're saying it's not gonna be doomfist, people are theorizing it's the leaked "anchora" robot hero possibly controled by Efi (girl from the article from some days ago), but likely the lore of both characters will be related.

Well that's my personal guess, Doomfist retrieving his gauntlet will somehow be related to Efi/Anchora deciding to join the fray.

Zackat

2 characters at once would be risky. They tried that in HotS and it didn't go so hot.

This is pretty cool, whatever they are doing.

Illucio

Banned

latest

So I wouldn't shocked if they pull a Ana and give us the quadroped drone that is pictured here. Or one of the two.. The big one looks like he ended up becoming Bastion, however that leaves the smaller one.

And the big red guy is most likely Doomfist since in this art we see him alongside Reinhardt indicating he is an entirely different character.

latest

PSqueak

Banned
That's awesome but kinda funny how it makes that whole map pointless now. Is the payload just going to be empty for now on?

Im assuming when and if they add Doomfist and the tease is no longer necessary they'll replace the payload with something else (that is, the capsule with have something different).

DOWN

Banned
Blizzard has moved almost entirely to platform games. I really think you'd just get a re-release of Overwatch similar to how Diablo 3 got one.

Ubisoft was even just talking on their fiscal call how they canceled a game in favor of updating the previous one indefinitely, and that's presumably Rainbow Six Siege.

Overwatch's console audience is also not the main driver here. Half the player base is in Asia and then there's a very large PC segment in the West, so the game is going to be managed around the PC norms for this type of thing.
Yeah, like I said it at least needs a re-release.

But I'm grossed out at the idea of Overwatch and Siege getting aged as f like World of Warcraft visually. I don't want Overwatch to look like it does now in 5 years. That's a PC mess and they can keep it.

Chipotle

I'm fairly new to Overwatch so apologies if this is obvious but who's Terry Crews and why do people want him as Doomfist?

kirblar

Yeah, like I said it at least needs a re-release.

But I'm grossed out at the idea of Overwatch and Siege getting aged as f like World of Warcraft visually. I don't want Overwatch to look like it does now in 5 years. That's a PC mess and they can keep it.
They can release a PS5/XB1080 version eventually w/ updated FX.

Blizz games are never top of the line graphically though- they're built for max accessibility.

Top Bottom