• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

In the game's current state I don't think they'll really be able to shake meta hopping through balance changes because the game is so reliant on hero synergies and people will find the combo that works and keep with it. If the game allowed the player more individual carry potential, things would be drastically different.

Why is doomfist not realeasing today on Tuesday and instead on thursday?

They decided it was better to give Owzers two extra days for him to think if he really wants to be a doomfist main.

They are afraid of what might happen to the ow community, after watching him playing junkrat yesterday I can't blame them. Too much feeding isn't healthy.

Posted by SoulBurn
The Overwatch team said they are looking into buffing RoadHog's defensive abilities as balance to his damage nerf.

Many posters are reasonably fearful that this will make him even a bigger ult battery than he currently is. I believe it depends on *how* the defensive buff applies.

My recommendation is having a 20-30% damage reduction on hog while he is inhaling, like sentry mode Bastion. This will increase his survivability without giving more ult charge to enemies attacking him.

If you want to make him a more team oriented hero, a small damage reduction can apply to nearby heroes during this action. This will allow Hog's big body to be used as meat shield and defend teammates, without costing too much in terms of ult charge.

Another option is covering his head hitbox while inhaling, which again will reduce effective damage, without costing in ult charge for the enemy team.

We're actually testing this exact thing right now internally. Currently we have been play testing Roadhog with -50% damage taken while using Take a Breather, and also allowing him to move at full speed while inhaling. These two changes combined certainly make him significantly more difficult to kill, while also allowing Roadhog players to be much more aggressive when trying to find a hook target, knowing they can survive a lot more easily.

We plan on throwing this up on the PTR asap (along with some other hero changes) so you guys can play with it as well. Its possible its actually too strong right now but we'll have time to iterate on it.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758316091#post-4

Some other hero changes hopefully means mercy nerf.

Owzers

They decided it was better to give Owzers two extra days for him to think if he really wants to be a doomfist main.

They are afraid of what might happen to the ow community, after watching him playing junkrat yesterday I can't blame them. Too much feeding isn't healthy.

Doomfist or nothing.

That sounds really dumb.

His visual design no longer has any coherency with his gameplay. Now he's this fat bastard that can run full speed and take less health while chugging gas? What?

Yeah I don't really like the sound of these changes.

A hero that's really hard to kill but that also doesn't really manage to achieve much.

When I see them talking about how the hog players can be more agressive I can just imagine people feeding even harder than before but without dying this time, and instead of feeding again after respawning they can do it every 8 seconds lol

But let's wait and see.

Doomfist or nothing.

What's the 3rd option?

Veelk

Banned
I will wait for PTR impressions if what he was saying goes through BUT...

won't this just make him give more ult charge to the enemy team if he has a better chance of healing himself but not killing anyone?

As far as I understand it, no. He will still recharge with the same rate, but he will take less damage and be able to move. Either he will give less ult charge because he manages to run away or kill you because you only do half damage, or else you wear him down and kill him, which will give the same ult charge as he would normally.

So, because he takes half damage and can reposition, there is a greater chance of him surviving the encounter, so you get less ult charge on average.

I don't see this actually fixing him though. He'll survive 1v1 encounters more, but he'll rarely come out on top. If he's focus fired with the team, that'll likely do the 450 DPS necessary to negate his healing.

As far as I understand it, no. He will still recharge with the same rate, but he will take less damage and be able to move. Either he will give less ult charge because he manages to run away or kill you because you only do half damage, or else you wear him down and kill him, which will give the same ult charge as he would normally.

So, because he takes half damage and can reposition, there is a greater chance of him surviving the encounter, so you get less ult charge on average.

I don't see this actually fixing him though. He'll survive 1v1 encounters more, but he'll rarely come out on top. If he's focus fired with the team, that'll likely do the 450 DPS necessary to negate his healing.

This is what I'm referring to when I say I need to see it in application first, because it does change the way his fights will play out. But I meant with my argument that yes he will be able to stay alive longer and get more healing in during a fight, but he won't kill people any better than he did before.

Basically, current Roadhog in a hypothetical fight with his healing will take 700 damage before dying without killing anyone. This Roadhog will take 1000 damage before dying without killing anyone. Once again people will need to play it to know for sure though.

Owzers

Yeah I don't really like the sound of these changes.

A hero that's really hard to kill but that also doesn't really manage to achieve much.

When I see them talking about how the hog players can be more agressive I can just imagine people feeding even harder than before but without dying this time, and instead of feeding again after respawning they can do it every 8 seconds lol

But let's wait and see.

What's the 3rd option?
Secret hog main.

Veelk

Banned
This is what I'm referring to when I say I need to see it in application first, because it does change the way his fights will play out. But I meant with my argument that yes he will be able to stay alive longer and get more healing in during a fight, but he won't kill people any better than he did before.

Basically, current Roadhog in a hypothetical fight with his healing will take 700 damage before dying without killing anyone. This Roadhog will take 1000 damage before dying without killing anyone. Once again people will need to play it to know for sure though.

No, from what I understand, it's still 700 damage, it's just that damage will come slower.

Like, Bastion healthbar in turret/tank form is still 300, not 360. Ironclad gives means you got to put in effectively 360 damage, but whats actually happening is that your bullet is weakened from it's normal damage when it hits him. So it's a damage reduction, not a health bar expansion. Meaning if you do, say, 70 per bullet, 50% reduction means you'll be doing 35 damage. Since you're doing 35 damage, you'll be getting 35 ult charge, rather than the normal 70. Atleast that's how they're describing it. We need the actual patch notes to be sure.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So no patch today huh? Guess it will be coming on Thursday along with Doomfist, although I have to wonder why releasing them 2 days later than usual patch day...

I bought a 4K TV last week and I decided to hook up my PC today and it just makes me sad OW didnt get a proper Pro patch. It runs at 4k60~ 100% render scale medium settings on a 970 so they probably could've done at least 1800p on Pro.

No, from what I understand, it's still 700 damage, it's just that damage will come slower.

Like, Bastion healthbar in turret/tank form is still 300, not 360. Ironclad gives means you got to put in effectively 360 damage, but whats actually happening is that your bullet is weakened from it's normal damage when it hits him. So it's a damage reduction, not a health bar expansion. Meaning if you do, say, 70 per bullet, 50% reduction means you'll be doing 35 damage. Since you're doing 35 damage, you'll be getting 35 ult charge, rather than the normal 70. Atleast that's how they're describing it. We need the actual patch notes to be sure.

I know what you mean but I don't think you get my point, I'm probably being too confusing in how I present it. Basically, Roadhog will stay alive longer with this change and be able to get more healing off. However, he will do the same damage as he did before. If he is doing no more damage, but has more health for the enemy to gain ult charge from due to the change to his healing, he is giving more ult charge than in his current state.

Veelk

Banned
I know that gameplay takes priority over lore in Overwatch and there are already plenty of things that are incongruent with how they're narrative supposed to be, but this stuff still just annoys me.

Bastion having higher defenses when in modes that are designed to be combative vs recon mode makes sense.

Why the hell would Roadhog be more invulnerable to damage just because he's huffing gas?

I know what you mean but I don't think you get my point, I'm probably being too confusing in how I present it. Basically, Roadhog will stay alive longer with this change and be able to get more healing off. However, he will do the same damage as he did before. If he is doing no more damage, but has more health for the enemy to gain ult charge from due to the change to his healing, he is giving more ult charge than in his current state.

Oh, I see what you mean. I guess that usually wasn't the case for me. I usually just flew into his face and shotgunned him to death as D.Va or burst him down as Tracer, but for me, he was typically able to get his entire gas healing off before I took him out. Only a few characters like Reaper would actually be able to outDPS his healing to the point where he couldn't complete it in my experience. So if him getting his entire healing off is usually the norm for me, I just whittle him down from there.

Well, since he's moving, he'll be marginally harder to hit? And maybe he'll have a better shot of getting some shots off.

But yeah. We'll have to see, but I have my doubts about this working. We need old Hog back. Let Doomfist have his fun for a month, then revert everything.

I know that gameplay takes priority over lore in Overwatch and there are already plenty of things that are incongruent with how they're narrative supposed to be, but this stuff still just annoys me.

Bastion having higher defenses when in modes that are designed to be combative vs recon mode makes sense.

Why the hell would Roadhog be more invulnerable to damage just because he's huffing gas?
You could just think of it as it healing him faster while he's taking damage or something

Veelk

Banned
The more I think about it, the more I'm not liking the idea. Again, we'll have to see it in action, but with that change, I think people are just going to be more confident about just charging into the frontline knowing they'll be able to survive a ton of damage. It's now an escape option, like Reaper's wraith or Tracer's blink. And this sounds like they're pushing him to be a dive/flank hybrid tank. He can actively chase down his hook target instead of just waiting for an opening.

jviggy43

In essence making him even more unless than he already is now. In fact that's worse because as a dps player that already feasts on hogs, I'll be getting that much more ult than I already do. I don't understand why they're even listening to people complain about him. Stop putting yourself in bad positions by yourself as squishy characters.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That roadhog change sounds stupid as hell.

It'll make him better, sure, but his hook combo is still going to just feel unsatisfying and now he's also weirdly cheesy at the same time with a heavy damage reduction while moving out of a bad spot.

How fucking bland. You simply cannot gut the main strength of a character who already has inherent weaknesses the way Blizzard did and patchwork some of the weaknesses, he will still feel shitty to play even if he's more effective.

Veelk

Banned
That roadhog change sounds stupid as hell.

It'll make him better, sure, but his hook combo is still going to just feel unsatisfying and now he's also weirdly cheesy at the same time with a heavy damage reduction while moving out of a bad spot.

How fucking bland. You simply cannot gut the main strength of a character who already has inherent weaknesses the way Blizzard did and patchwork some of the weaknesses, he will still feel shitty to play even if he's more effective.

I just can't get over his animation. You have this giant, hulking pig man, but he fires like his shoddily put together scrap gun in rapid succession like he's john wick.

It looks so weird and I can't take it. And now they want him to run while huffing gas. I'm half convinced by the end of all this they'll patch in sonic the hedgehog spinning legs to complete his "gotta go fast" movements.

Even if the hog changes make him good it's still a bad way to balance the game IMO.

Having heroes have well defined strengths and weaknesses is much better than a hero having mediocre strengths and no weaknesses. Every hero should not turn into Soldier: 76. We saw that a similar change actually harmed Bastion and made him even more niche, this Roadhog change reminds me of that.

Ralemont

not me
As a Zarya player, I too miss old Hog. Bubbling someone who got hooked always felt great. Now I save my bubbles for more dangerous situations.

Veelk

Banned
Even if the hog changes make him good it's still a bad way to balance the game IMO.

Having heroes have well defined strengths and weaknesses is much better than a hero having mediocre strengths and no weaknesses. Every hero should not turn into Soldier: 76. We saw that a similar change actually harmed Bastion and made him even more niche, this Roadhog change reminds me of that.

Even Soldier: 76 shouldn't be Soldier: 76.

Most likely packaged with Doomfist update.

Well that sucks, but I guess it makes sense.

About hog, it's pretty clear they have no fucking clue what they're doing. He was fine the way he was before the buff to his hook that put people directly in front of you.

This is how we end up with current roadhog characters. Hes fine. (Also I'm betting McCree gets a bump in play time with the incoming buffs anyway)

I don't really like Soldier: 76 as is because he fits into every single comp in the game. He has high consistent damage, burst damage, healing, mobility, and is good both at range and close up. I wish he was more "jack of all trades, master of none" than he is currently. I think McCree is fine with his buffs for the record.

jviggy43

I don't really like Soldier: 76 as is because he fits into every single comp in the game. He has high consistent damage, burst damage, healing, mobility, and is good both at range and close up. I wish he was more "jack of all trades, master of none" than he is currently. I think McCree is fine with his buffs for the record.

McCree has a lower floor than soldier thats for sure but he also has a higher ceiling if his shooting is on point (Although ult's might tip it to soldier). But soldier isn't a problem. Sure he excels at a few things but it isn't game breaking or dictating the meta in its current state and if its doing neither of those things I'd rather we just leave him be so as not ruin another character.

antitrop

Horizon is an absolute trash map. 2CP is a trash mode, but Horizon is the worst of them all.

21 quality minutes of Overwatch for a 5-5 Draw.

f28rFT2.png

I would have rather played a shorter match on a better map and lost than that.

Kysen

This game has so many ups and downs, yet I can't stop playing. I just had a run of 3 losses with a thrower in each game. One game was so bad that the moment the match started a player on the other team started laughing at how the troll from his last game was now on our team. The player in question was raging non stop while the enemy player continued to taunt him all game. We lost and I wanted to stop playing.

After that I go on another streak and am now ahead of where I started. The season 5 lotto is one hell of a ride.

McCree has a lower floor than soldier thats for sure but he also has a higher ceiling if his shooting is on point (Although ult's might tip it to soldier). But soldier isn't a problem. Sure he excels at a few things but it isn't game breaking or dictating the meta in its current state and if its doing neither of those things I'd rather we just leave him be so as not ruin another character.

I'm talking pretty idealistically here I don't think he is game breaking or dictating the meta either. I would leave him as is right now there are bigger issues for the balance team to deal with.

jviggy43

Horizon is an absolute trash map. 2CP is a trash mode, but Horizon is the worst of them all.

21 quality minutes of Overwatch for a 5-5 Draw.

I would have rather played a shorter match on a better map and lost than that.

This is another thing that has been bothering me and has resulted in my level of serious interest/competitive play taking a dip in the game. This map is fucking awful. 2cp was already the worst but this easily takes the cake for worst map of all.I don't play with anyone who likes that map.

I'm talking pretty idealistically here I don't think he is game breaking or dictating the meta either. I would leave him as is right now there are bigger issues for the balance team to deal with.
Totally with you on this.

Can we just delete tanks (Not Zarya), since changing them always makes the game infinitely worse.

Putting Hog back to where he was would pretty much be the only thign I'd change about the tank class right now. Everyone else is pretty damn useful

Top Bottom