• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

ferunnico

Neo Member
Yes and yes, but it's not always the case obviously. You need decent tanks to create space to allow DPS to operate in. Team composition, hero choice, and maps can also affect performance.

Of course, but it seems like there are a lot more competent tank and support players than DPS. It just feels like most of my comp matches are decided by one team having better DPS than the other. And I can't even get mad at bad DPS, because I know I would also suck, which makes it all the more frustrating. This is at platinum, by the way, but I'd imagine it's not much different at other ranks.

Veelk

Banned
I think I tried everything imaginable lol

I use the blast to move horizontally mostly.

Then I don't know what the problem is on your end. I'm literally doing this right as I type this out on my PS4. Are you sure you are in an area with enough headroom to go higher?

Then I don't know what the problem is with you. I'm literally doing this right as I type this out. Are you sure you are in an area with enough headroom to go higher?

Yeah I did it in the area with the two bots where you leave the spawn, marking that big column right in front.

There were a couple of patches since I tried it, wonder if it was patched or if I just sucked D:

That was one of the best buffs. Pretty stupid running away from your own explosion.
Eh, on her original version that shit took an extra second or so to go off so you usually had time. But when they buffed it's timer they had to make her invulnerable or you'd end up having to shoot it with a boost every time.

Veelk

Banned
Yeah I did it in the area with the two bots where you leave the spawn, marking that big column right in front.

There were a couple of patches since I tried it, wonder if it was patched or if I just sucked D:

Were you on top of that building, hugging that column? Because you'd be hitting the roof of that just by jumping normally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0nPRsInGs8&feature=em-upload_owner

Here's my video of it. I don't do spray markings, but you can see the difference just by watching the satellite dish. You get half way up on your own. Then you get way above it using rockets. Then right at the edge using concussion blast.

LiK

Eh, on her original version that shit took an extra second or so to go off so you usually had time. But when they buffed it's timer they had to make her invulnerable or you'd end up having to shoot it with a boost every time.

It was still stupid having to hightail out of there while dodging enemy shots. Almost as bad as Mercy immediately dying after rezzing people.

Were you on top of that building, hugging that column? Because you'd be hitting the roof of that just by jumping normally.

Here's my video of it. I don't do spray markings, but you can see the difference just by watching the satellite dish. You get half way up on your own. Then you get way above it using rockets. Then right at the edge using concussion blast.

Holy fuck that height.

I did it on the right from where you are, the base for my jump was the area with the two bots, nothing was there to hinder my jump. Can't say why it didn't work but I will test it in both places again today.

Thx for video.

Veelk

Banned
Anyone seen the proposed Junkrat changes? I am...not a fan.

Veelk must be over the moon though.

I've been having more fun with Junkrat, but D.Va will always be my one true lovemain and I will never leave her.

As far as the buffs go, I would have preferred 3 traps over 2 concussions, but this isn't bad either.

Now Soldier nerfs, those would make me go over the moon and to the stars and out of the milky way.

MartyStu

I've been having more fun with Junkrat, but D.Va will always be my one true lovemain and I will never leave her.

As far as the buffs go, I would have preferred 3 traps over 2 concussions, but this isn't bad either.

Now Soldier nerfs, those would make me go over the moon and to the stars and out of the milky way.

I think the mines allow for some really cool dynamic play from Junkrat so I actually think that was a good idea.

Veelk

Banned
I think the mines allow for some really cool dynamic play from Junkrat so I actually think that was a good idea.

So what are you not a fan of then? Because that's all that's mentioned so far. That and the Riptire buff, but I think everyone can agree that's needed.

Schlep

Has anything been said about the next season? I'm getting a bit tired of having to switch characters to carry a team, and half the time we still lose. A good 9 out of 10 games I'll have at least gold/silver elims and damage, but still stuck in ~2700 purgatory. Is Jeff Kaplan punishing me?

MCD

Spent whole night playing QP with my friends. It's so much fun when there is no SR stress involved yaaaaay lol.

Zenyatta and Zarya seem to be my go tos this season. The only heroes I actually have fun with outside of that is McCree, but I need to practice a lot more with him first

Veelk

Banned
Really wanted some adjustments to his projectiles.

I don't have a problem with them. They're effective for me when I use them and they're easy enough to avoid when I play against them.

If anything, at first, I wanted a clipsize of 8 instead of 5, but that itself might be a bit more powerful than I initially bargained for, given how powerful those nades can be.

Some more Overwatch League news today via a Blizzard press release, this time focused on players

https://overwatchleague.com/en-us/news/20937016

- Official signing window for season 1 = Aug 1 to Oct 30
- Players must be signed to 1 year contracts that can be extended by an additional year
- Contracts must guarantee at least $50,000 and include healthcare and retirement savings plans (holy crap yay!)
- Players must receive 50% of the team's performance based income, with a 3.5 million prize pool for season 1
- Rosters must be 6-12 players with no region locking
- Team's are required to maintain player housing and practice facilities "which will meet professional standards determined by the Overwatch League"
-Confirmed to launch later this year

Required health insurance is awesome. Good job Blizzard.

gotoadgo

I had to go through the worst toxic asshole in mistery heroes, so I am even more soured on this shit game. I also can't use half the heroes, so it's not even fun. Plust the wasted time in matchmaking do endure leavers. more time lost, more SR lost. And that I suck at every fucking role. So I'm out. I suck at these games. 20 hours is enough wasted yime. If I can't improve in so much time, I can never improve. Like every time I get in QP I get bad hopes. Every gold medal, absurd K/D ratios. Then think I'm ready for comp and I get assraped by a fuxking monkey which is even more obnoxious than snipers. Tank? I suck. Heal? I suck? Dps? I can't even land one single kill in comp. I went there fooled by QP. And then the toxicity and insults coming from everywhere, every time. I have only seen one good game where despite ending on a draw (the best result I've had), we talked and discussed so much and changed roles to adapt to the situation that we felt like we had accomplished something. But the rest of the time is pure pain and not having chances at all. So fuck this. I am even tempted to sacrifice Diablo III tiger an account wide ban so that one month later I don't end going back to OW. All these months thinking I was getting better, that I was working and improving. And now trying to cope with the fact that it was all a fucking lie and I suck at this and have no room for improvement. I feel fucking crushed and I want to cry. I'm a fucking failure.

You sound WAY too invested in being good at this game. Just a heads up as well, 20 hours isn't actually a lot of hours. I've put that into single characters and I'm still not that great with them.

I think stopping is best if you're going to take losing this hard.

HMD

So I have the flu and I found out this shit can literally affect the way you think. I currently aim like a bronze and have the slowest reaction times ever and I'm constantly getting outplayed by the stupidest plays. I just can't focus properly.

Edit: Good thing decay is coming up. Great feature blizzard! Already lost 200 SR this season, lost like 800 last season as well.

Gorillaz

I actually thought back since s3 or maybe 2 that having offseason being it's own thing wouldn't be bad either. No SR penalty yet it has the same rules as normal. The problem would be is it treated just like QP anyway so it might not be worth it in the long run.

I would def love to run practice characters in an actual full game tho

I actually thought back since s3 or maybe 2 that having offseason being it's own thing wouldn't be bad either. No SR penalty yet it has the same rules as normal. The problem would be is it treated just like QP anyway so it might not be worth it in the long run.

I would def love to run practice characters in an actual full game tho

An unranked mode would be perfect for Overwatch.

Heroes of the Storm has it, and from what I understand the games are more organized than quick play but not the hyper competitive environment than competitive mode is. I feel like unranked would help Overwatch a ton but I don't think Blizzard is going to do it, for whatever reason.

Nazo

Okay, I've never played Ana before even once and I had to play her on 6v6 elim and my team is spamming I need healing while running away from me. I CAN'T HELP YOU IF I CAN'T SEE YOU COCK MUNCH.

Just tried it, worked immediately. I can only assume it was patched.

Time to hit those skyboxes \o/

Lmao at all the Modern Warfare 2 clips but the "TACTICAL NUKE INCOMING" slayed me.

Yeah that was definitely the best one lol

Blues1990

Really, I wish they'd just make that the general rule. I don't see how it improves the game to accidentally die to your own Tracer Bomb or anything like that. There might be an argument to be made for Pharah since otherwise she's just going to get in people's faces and ult like that.

But other than that, I just don't like the concept. If you can't hurt your allies, why are you able to hurt yourself?

I do understand why they put in place initially (make your shots count, or else you get blown up), but it became ridiculous when some of the other characters received splash damage from their explosions, and others didn't.

Holy SHIT, that was not my mental image of Seagull at all.

Anyway, I just tested it out myself. I'm not sure why you feel you can't do it, I did it just fine. I just don't like that you take damage on it, so if you don't have a mercy on your ass, you're sacrificing quite a bit.

Well, not everyone can be as handsome as DSPStanky. :p

LOL.

Gorillaz

Some guy in my first game on threw because apparently no one was talking for awhile on comms hilarious of course he was a mercy main

but im on console so it's not like blizzard really gives a shit about it

Somehow pulled the Sombra 15 enemies hacked without dying trophy out of my ass during QP tonight with the GAF crew. The entire match was almost a wash but we managed to hold the very last point on Dorado for 6+ minutes which allowed me to pull off a pretty nice hack streak. Probably one of the better games I've had as Sombra, too.

Lowered my sensitivity a bit overall and it feels a little better, but still not quite where I want it. The whole test was hampered by the fact I had some pretty weird lag tonight so I couldn't get a good feel for it.

EDIT: Also forgot the personal moral victory where I made a Pharah in a Pharmercy combo switch off because I switched to 76. Any time that happens is a good time.

I had a 63 percent avg energy in that dorado game. That other Zaria got outplayed

Yeah, you did work as Zarya. I think we've learned that when we do the support stack, the sixth needs to be a tank to not die. Just Torb ain't gonna cut it.

GAF you already know we're having a party tomorrow for new patch + Doomfist

I set up date night with the gf for tomorrow...but I'm sure she'll allow Doomfist as a good enough reason to cancel....

gotoadgo

Is it advisable to wait until doomfist releases to do weekly arcade lootboxes or will they reset early?

The general consensus is to wait, as the new loot box changes will be implemented along with Doomfist. I doubt they're resetting loot boxes half way through a week.

NimbusD

Oh the life of a semi-symm main. lost 3 in a row after winning straight for 3 days due to people in each game immediately tilting at my symm pick. Then blaming losing on me, meanwhile no one groups up, no one pays attention to the reaper who's blatantly teleporting behind us, meis in our midst freezing our healers, etc etc. Not that I didn't change when it was called for, I was literally told I was reported before one match even began because of my symm pick.

Guess what all of those matches also had in common? Me putting my reporting button to use for gay/racist slurs from these people who can't hold it together for more than a minute. If only I had a way to know that it did something.

EDIT: really can't complain, it's my own fault for not quitting while I was ahead tonight. Had 3 lovely days of straight winning with 90% symm picks and people being really great teammates. Let it be a lesson to people that when you go into a game demanding people switch picks, you're very much at risk of tilting because you're trying to control something outside of your control, and in a mindset to then blame things outside of your control instaed of focusing on what's actually happening.

Cels

just saw in the client that part of the overwatch world cup group stage is gonna be held locally, gonna go with a friend!

should be fun.

Top Bottom