• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Stopped reading here. Anyone who thinks this has a loose grasp on reality. To say he got overnerfed is correct, but to say he was fine before is delusional.

[IMGhttp://66.media.tumblr.com/6037fea34d316243ca57de50eb27868d/tumblr_oa9d26cgrr1tpafe6o1_500.gif[/IMG]

Roadhog was balanced, and his pick rate at all levels showed that. He was also one of the only things keeping Genji/Tracer in check. Not like dive comp has been slowly killing the game or anything.

I'd rather be hook-shot all game long than get killed by scatter arrow.

Fuck that scrub ass move.

Scatter is an important part of what allows Hanzo to carve a place for himself much like hook oneshots do for roadhog. Even though the stormbow is a lot of fun to use, by itself it doesn't do enough to justify it's presence alone vs. the ridiculous hitscan in this game (which is another can of worms). In Moba terms, Hanzo is an ability based carry: a damage dealer that is picked for their side abilities rather than their core chassis. Scatter is meant to be awesome good because of how severe the skill floor is to use his basic attack.

xCobalt

It would be pretty backwards. You hook, shoot, and then heal. You can't expect people to hold their shot for a hook combo for the next 6 seconds after healing.

Adding a buff to his heal doesn't restrict his options, it adds more. If you want to play "hook, shoot then heal" you can still do that. I imagine if he has this sort of buff, it would improve his 1v1 capabilities too.

Roadhog is definitely in a weird place right now and I don't think what Blizzard is testing is the right move (iirc, move while healing + damage reduction?)

Prelude.

I'm the doomfister. :dab:

78686jrsof.jpg

jviggy43

Stopped reading here. Anyone who thinks this has a loose grasp on reality. To say he got overnerfed is correct, but to say he was fine before is delusional.

tumblr_oa9d26cgrr1tpafe6o1_500.gif
Lol he was fine. People can't understand what positioning is in this game and so rather than figure it out they complained...a lot. He was absolutely balanced.

It would be so fucking cool if the rocket punch had vertical movement.

Had so many moments today where I wished I could hit people standing above ledges.

This character has so much potential, make it right Blizz.

Roadhog got nerfed because casuals dont know the shitty feeling of getting one shot from scatter or headshot from a Widow, because that doesnt happen at low mmrs

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It would be so fucking cool if the rocket punch had vertical movement.

Had so many moments today where I wished I could hit people standing above ledges.

This character has so much potential, make it right Blizz.

That's what Rising Uppercut is for. You can rocket punch pretty high in the air with that.

Rocket Punching Pharahs that way will never stop being satisfying.

I'd rather be hook-shot all game long than get killed by scatter arrow.

Fuck that scrub ass move.

Scatter is an important part of what allows Hanzo to carve a place for himself much like hook oneshots do for roadhog. Even though the stormbow is a lot of fun to use, by itself it doesn't do enough to justify it's presence alone vs. the ridiculous hitscan in this game (which is another can of worms). In Moba terms, Hanzo is an ability based carry: a damage dealer that is picked for their side abilities rather than their core chassis. Scatter is meant to be awesome good because of how severe the skill floor is to use his basic attack.
Scatterarrow should just be replaced by an Explosive Shot that does severe damage near its center.

Adding a buff to his heal doesn't restrict his options, it adds more. If you want to play "hook, shoot then heal" you can still do that. I imagine if he has this sort of buff, it would improve his 1v1 capabilities too.

Roadhog is definitely in a weird place right now and I don't think what Blizzard is testing is the right move (iirc, move while healing + damage reduction?)
I'm just saying your change is pointless.

Luckily those one shot kills are attached to 200 hp characters and not the 600 hp character.
The 200 HP hero they can't find and will never get to. A Widowmaker smurf at low ranks will annihilate the entire team without getting touched. The same can't be said for Roadhog.

Prelude.

Wow, the lootboxes change actually works. 3 boxes and no dupes.
I finally got my 5th Lucio skin ever at level 472. Now I've completed his rare skins.

I'm doing my custom crosshairs right now and why God why did Blizzard remove crosshair outlines? I have to switch my color from green to magenta now lol

Phu

Banned
Scatterarrow should just be replaced by an Explosive Shot that does severe damage near its center.

You ever see Junkrat die in low gravity? His grenades scatter like a little firework. Maybe something like that, with the damage adjusted accordingly.

jviggy43

When you do doomfists rb there's a number that pops up. What is that? I tried doing a few different things but I couldn't figure out how it works.

Prelude.

This is wrong, it's the damage about to be done by the ability (not sure if the number is accurate or on a scale).

It increases based on height / distance before you touch the ground.
For some reason I thought it appeared every time so I thought it was shields, but it's only when you E now that I looked at it properly.

Blu(e)

Also looks like Talon really wants Hanzo to join the squad. Doomfist has a line asking him to join Talon. Both the Doomfist and Widowmaker line played with Hanzo in the game.

That's what Rising Uppercut is for. You can rocket punch pretty high in the air with that.

Rocket Punching Pharahs that way will never stop being satisfying.

It doesn't give you THAT much height lol :p

I'm doing my custom crosshairs right now and why God why did Blizzard remove crosshair outlines? I have to switch my color from green to magenta now lol

I have to add you on my alt. I don't think I have Elza as a friend too.

My american friends are failing me, doomfist day and only a single person online...

Lemstar

pudge is pretty much the one hero that everyone thinks is incredibly broken when they start playing dota

guess how good he is

There are several problems with the explosive arrow thing that keeps getting tossed around.

1. To justify replacing scatter arrow it would have to be a large explosion and very SEVERE indeed. If it was just another reskinned helix rocket it would be shit and have no synergy with Hanzo's kit. At the current cooldown it would probably have to do 300 damage minimum. Explosions have less counterplay than scatter since you can just hop in the air to dodge the damage.

2. It's not lore friendly. Hanzo's ultimate is loud but storywise the dragons are a trump card to go super saiyan on somebody. In everything else he's suppose to be a sneaky ninja. How does it make sense for a bow user to use something that eliminates the advantage of using a bow? Which is to say that it is a QUIET weapon.

3. It may not even be possible to rework it because of Sony and Microsoft's rules about achievements. The exact guidelines are under NDA but what has been gleaned from various developer AMA's on what they can tell us is that lots of times they are restricted on what they can change if something is hooked up to a trophy or a cheevo. They can't for instance make a change that would substantially impede getting the achievement. And there's a couple associated with scatter that would be impossible if it got nerfed.

pudge is pretty much the one hero that everyone thinks is incredibly broken when they start playing dota

guess how good he is
Luckily, Stitches has a ~50% winrate in HotS and is totally playable. I love him and Pudge!

There are several problems with the explosive arrow thing that keeps getting tossed around.

1. To justify replacing scatter arrow it would have to be a large explosion and very SEVERE indeed. If it was just another reskinned helix rocket it would be shit and have no synergy with Hanzo's kit. At the current cooldown it would probably have to do 300 damage minimum. Explosions have less counterplay than scatter since you can just hop in the air to dodge the damage.

2. It's not lore friendly. Hanzo's ultimate is loud but storywise the dragons are a trump card to go super saiyan on somebody. In everything else he's suppose to be a sneaky ninja. How does it make sense for a bow user to use something that eliminates the advantage of using a bow? Which is to say that it is a QUIET weapon.

3. It may not even be possible to rework it because of Sony and Microsoft's rules about achievements. The exact guidelines are under NDA but what has been gleaned from various developer AMA's on what they can tell us is that lots of times they are restricted on what they can change if something is hooked up to a trophy or a cheevo. They can't for instance make a change that would substantially impede getting the achievement. And there's a couple associated with scatter that would be impossible if it got nerfed.

All good info. That definitely puts us in a difficult position, then.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't give you THAT much height lol :p

Well, against Pharah you have to start from high ground to begin with, plus the rising uppercut for even more height. That should be enough a lot of the time. Pretty difficult still, but that's what makes it so great when you accomplish it.

Uhhh, does the loot box change only affect newly acquired loot boxes (post patch)? I saved up 14 Loot Boxes and so far 5 of them have had mainly dupes.

Kenai

Lol he was fine. People can't understand what positioning is in this game and so rather than figure it out they complained...a lot. He was absolutely balanced.

Blizzard disagrees. Hope he ends up better in the long run though. I dislike him in general but I want him to see play too for the people that do like him.

Uhhh, does the loot box change only affect newly acquired loot boxes (post patch)? I saved up 14 Loot Boxes and so far 5 of them have had mainly dupes.

Usually what's inside a lootbox is snapshotted when you acquire said box, yea.

jviggy43

Blizzard disagrees. Hope he ends up better in the long run though. I dislike him in general but I want him to see play too for the people that do like him.

Usually what's inside a lootbox I snapshotted when you acquire said box, yea.
Blizzard also thought Anna was underpowered and buffed her to a point where she was insanely op at healing. They tend to listen to the loudest fans when they complain about a character which is what happened here. As others pointed out, he was not a highly picked character at the high and pro levels of play and neither was his win %. If He was op, it would have been evident in both of those categories.

Nimby

Banned
Scatter Arrow should not bounce after the initial hit and have damage falloff at longer ranges. Scatter Arrow should be like the Hanzo's flash bang, to keep the people that want him dead backed off, or to deal decent more reliable burst damage at a distance without one-shotting 200 HP heroes at that range.

IMO of course with my 12 minutes of gameplay with Hanzo

Pretty sure you're just one of those other people who don't realize the entire game can't be balanced around pro play and pick/win rates. Sorry, the game is for made for more than the top 0.001% of players.

You can't really balance around people who don't play optimally either. Games have tried it and it doesn't work.

Go tell Valve you can't do that by the way, I'm pretty sure their games have giant player bases too.

Scatter Arrow should not bounce after the initial hit and have damage falloff at longer ranges. Scatter Arrow should be like the Hanzo's flash bang, to keep the people that want him dead backed off, or to deal decent more reliable burst damage at a distance without one-shotting 200 HP heroes at that range.

IMO of course with my 12 minutes of gameplay with Hanzo

I like that idea, maybe 120 damage like a 76 direct hit rocket but that's his regular arrow damage so I dunno.

Yeah I don't play him either, get him all the time in mystery heroes tho.

I just can't see how anyone could say it's bullshit to die from a hook-shot, but it's fine to die from scatter arrow.

I like that idea, maybe 120 damage like a 76 direct hit rocket but that's his regular arrow damage so I dunno.

Yeah I don't play him either, get him all the time in mystery heroes tho.

I just can't see how anyone could say it's bullshit to die from a hook-shot, but it's fine to die from scatter arrow.

I've never had a problem with a hook-shot- that's on me if I get snagged- but that Scatter is just fucking random. If I'm in a room and get Scattered, again, on me, but if I'm in the open and the RNG gods decide a Scatter one-hit kills me, I'm pissed.

Top Bottom