• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

antitrop

Got the game for the PS4 and never actually played... just finished building a new PC and after playing around on a friends account and this free weekend happening I decided why not.

Lets see how long it takes for me to go from shit to suck.

It really is daunting coming in this late.

The game is pretty good about putting you with other people that have practically never played the game before.

It's not gonna start you off in Quick Play against Grandmasters and shit like that. Especially during a free weekend, where there will be an influx of new players.

Starting off learning a healer is useful, since you can kind of sit back a bit and observe what the different heroes do, or you can just try playing them yourself, whatever.

Anne

Seeing things like this and then the play times makes the game daunting for people thinking about starting it now. Congrats by the way.

If it makes you feel any better I got GM pretty much instantly when it became a rank. You can GM the first day you play comp mode if you're good enough. The 900 hours this guy put in was just his personal git gud time. Varies from person to person and all that.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Meanwhile 716 hours here and closest I came to Masters was in this season at 3499. Granted this is my first real FPS on PC, but no excuses.

antitrop

WmbibVn.gif

lmao! I think the problem is a lot of people look at heroes most played and Mercy shows up a lot as first or second because a lot of people will choose her since no one else goes heals.

This is why Mercy is in my top five used, it's not entirely by actual choice.

Anne

It varies from person to person. I hit gm around 350-400 hours.

Also how far people go. I did a lot of my improvement early then slowed down quite a bit until I lost interest. Meanwhile people like Aba and Anti had steady improvement all the way up the ladder.

It's like learning anything. Fast learners, slow burners, etc. One of the better things about Overwatch is that you don't have to grind for rank or gear or anything at all. It's just how well you can play really.

antitrop

Did you hit 3999 twice or three times in s4?

Just once, lol. Broke over 4000 like a day or two after the 3999 cuck and I've never dropped out of GM after that.

I think I was within 30SR of 4000 three different times before I crossed over, though. The mental block in those "promotion games" is huge. You can try to tell yourself it's just another match, but there will always be something in the back of your mind saying "this could be the one".

AbaFadi

Banned
Just once, lol. Broke over 4000 like a day or two after the 3999 cuck.

I think I was within 30SR of 4000 three different times before I crossed over, though. The mental block in those "promotion games" is huge. You can try to tell yourself it's just another match, but there will always be something in the back of your mind saying "this could be the one".

Yeah when I switched from ps4 to pc I had the same thing lol. I was 399X like three or four times before I finally hit gm.

Nepenthe

I get gold healing, objective kills, and objective time in Nepal as Lucio.

"Wow, we had such a good Mercy!" 4 votes.

Ooooh, she gets PotG for one rez and some assists with her autoaim beam and suddenly everyone's falling all over her.

IT'S FINE.

IT'S NOT LIKE I DIDN'T PUSH HALF THE OPPOSING TEAM OFF THE LEDGE OR PUNCH D.VA TO DEATH BEFORE SHE COULD REGAIN HER MECH OR ANYTHING.

Gorillaz

Just once, lol. Broke over 4000 like a day or two after the 3999 cuck and I've never dropped out of GM after that.

Anti I think you started out as plat seasons ago right?

It's something to see you over time to get to GM

antitrop

Anti I think you started out as plat seasons ago right?

Season 1: 65 (PS4)
Season 2: Started 2300, ended 3000 (switched to PC)
Season 3: 3300
Season 4: 4100
Season 5: 4250
Season 6: Haven't finished placements yet, but will get GM

Season 2 was fucked up, because I started Plat and dropped all the way down to Gold, then getting to Diamond before the season ended. Season 3 I just didn't give a shit and didn't bother to get Masters, even though I could have. Then Season 4 I hit a massive win streak at the start of the season, before win streak SR got removed.

Anne

A lot of the GMs here got placed around plat and then did soloq up to GM over time. I started in the 50s range in S1 and my 2nd account started plat. Anti and Aba were plat, etc.

S1 was a hard time for me in this game tbh. I didn't really start posting here until I had "figured out" most of what I Was doing.

antitrop

A lot of the GMs here got placed around plat and then did soloq up to GM over time. I started in the 50s range in S1 and my 2nd account started plat. Anti and Aba were plat, etc.

S1 was a hard time for me in this game tbh. I didn't really start posting here until I had "figured out" most of what I Was doing.

Ya, I didn't start posting in the Overwatch OT until it was already on like its 4th or 5th thread. Then somehow I ended up taking OP duty for it.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Yep, I'm done with this game. 250 hours and I've never seen a game just get worse and worse while the community gets shittier and shittier so quickly.

I played TF2 over 1,500 hours over the course of 4-5 years. I thought this would have even more staying power for me, especially because the controls are *so* tight. But alas, I'm done.

Maybe I'll give it another go in six months after the holidays. But I just uninstalled for the first time since launch.

/childish rage

Gorillaz

Season 1: 65 (PS4)
Season 2: Started 2300, ended 3000 (switched to PC)
Season 3: 3300
Season 4: 4100
Season 5: 4250
Season 6: Haven't finished placements yet, but will get GM

Season 2 was fucked up, because I started Plat and dropped all the way down to Gold, then getting to Diamond before the season ended. Season 3 I just didn't give a shit and didn't bother to get Masters, even though I could have. Then Season 4 I hit a massive win streak at the start of the season, before win streak SR got removed.

I think S1 was the most fun I've had in the game due to the fact I didn't know what I was doing and really only played as zarya but still had fun in that mid 50s range. There was more wiggle room since we were all learning.I left after doing placements in S2 from burnout and came back in the last week of S3.

I didn't really start to give comp a real shake and understanding the meta was S4. I really only hit diamond in S4 but I think if I cared more back at the beginning of S2 I would have been possibly touching masters at this point. Maybe...probably not.

I think it's more fun hearing growth over season to season then getting boosted or carried to M/GM status in the same season. Especially from people that Solo Q alot like I do.

Anne

I've said it before, but before this game came out I wasn't excited for it at all. My ex-gf was a huge Blizz fan and got me on the beta with her and I thought it was okay. All my friends were mad hyped for it too, so I at least had people to play with. I thought the tanks were cool and Tracer was cute, and it ended up being fun so I thought I'd play tanks and junk. Only FPS I'd played before on PC was a couple hundred hours of CSGO.

Once the game actually came out, things didn't work out so good. The difference in mechanics when I started to grind them out caused a huge skill gap pretty fast. The fact the game was so reliant on team comp made people salty. A lot of my friends tried to say "ah you can win and work with other stuff" and then promptly got the shit beaten out of them. The types of strategies that were good were hidden behind so much BS people didn't know about that it was hard to communicate even basic ideas.

I'm honestly surprised it took more than a month for my friends to stop playing this game, at which point I went into soloq mode. I don't really blame my friends too much, just what this game was supposed to be and what it ended up being were two totally different monsters. Also the fact that they couldn't really figure out what the game wanted from them isn't on them. Shit's on Blizzard. Now every now and then I'll see them hop on sometimes for some QP, but that's like maybe once a month if that.

The insane mechanics grind I went into was pretty unreal though. In about 6 months I tried to make up for the years of PC mechanics I missed out on. I know some people who watched me play wouldn't have guessed I only had a few months of CSGO XP before I got onto OW. Now I can't even stomach the idea of aiming with a controller. The switch wasn't too bad at least because I took mechanics very seriously from minute 1 and knew what I needed to do to improve.

I've said it before, but before this game came out I wasn't excited for it at all. My ex-gf was a huge Blizz fan and got me on the beta with her and I thought it was okay. All my friends were mad hyped for it too, so I at least had people to play with. I thought the tanks were cool and Tracer was cute, and it ended up being fun so I thought I'd play tanks and junk. Only FPS I'd played before on PC was a couple hundred hours of CSGO.

Once the game actually came out, things didn't work out so good. The difference in mechanics when I started to grind them out caused a huge skill gap pretty fast. The fact the game was so reliant on team comp made people salty. A lot of my friends tried to say "ah you can win and work with other stuff" and then promptly got the shit beaten out of them. The types of strategies that were good were hidden behind so much BS people didn't know about that it was hard to communicate even basic ideas.

I'm honestly surprised it took more than a month for my friends to stop playing this game, at which point I went into soloq mode. I don't really blame my friends too much, just what this game was supposed to be and what it ended up being were two totally different monsters. Also the fact that they couldn't really figure out what the game wanted from them isn't on them. Shit's on Blizzard. Now every now and then I'll see them hop on sometimes for some QP, but that's like maybe once a month if that.

The insane mechanics grind I went into was pretty unreal though. In about 6 months I tried to make up for the years of PC mechanics I missed out on. I know some people who watched me play wouldn't have guessed I only had a few months of CSGO XP before I got onto OW. Now I can't even stomach the idea of aiming with a controller. The switch wasn't too bad at least because I took mechanics very seriously from minute 1 and knew what I needed to do to improve.

Can you go into more detail on the bait-and-switch aspect?

Anne

Can you go into more detail on the bait-and-switch aspect?

I mean basically the game was supposed to be TF2. You hop into a game, pick some of this cool ass heroes that you like, have a good time like any old hero shooter. Hero shooters are mostly just arena shooters with some powers that are really just there for power fulfillment for people.

What they got is this weird MOBA thing where you are extremely reliant on synergy and combining abilities on a micro level, where you need to have multiple tanks and supports and focus on those MOBA aspects over FPS stuff.

The gist I got form most people I knew was they wanted a fun semi-classical style arena shooter with some cool powers and lite synergy. What they got was a game where FPS takes a huge back seat to character select and macro decisions.

ricelord

season 1 -86 hours, season high - 68, final 62

season 2 -116 hours, season high - 3729 top 500 for some reason. final 3323

season 3 -36 hours, season high - 4162 top 500, final 3680

season 4 -18 hours, season high - 3620, final 3535

season 5- 21 hours, season high - 3916, final 3799

now that i think about it always near the season a lot of people don't care for rank and do whatever they wanted.

caesar

Banned
Placed 3035 in my first season.

S3 3800
S4 4050
S5 4120
S6 4010 atm

Mostly play mccree and other hitscan but have been known to zen as well.

MartyStu

I mean basically the game was supposed to be TF2. You hop into a game, pick some of this cool ass heroes that you like, have a good time like any old hero shooter. Hero shooters are mostly just arena shooters with some powers that are really just there for power fulfillment for people.

What they got is this weird MOBA thing where you are extremely reliant on synergy and combining abilities on a micro level, where you need to have multiple tanks and supports and focus on those MOBA aspects over FPS stuff.

The gist I got form most people I knew was they wanted a fun semi-classical style arena shooter with some cool powers and lite synergy. What they got was a game where FPS takes a huge back seat to character select and macro decisions.

This is interesting.

Back when this game was in my periphery and I could not distinguish it from Battleborn, MOBA/FPS was exactly what I was expecting.

I was actually quite surprised when I heard stories and expectations like yours.

Blizzard really did a shit job properly marketing the game.

Honeymoon period for my TF2 gaf stack lasted about 3 months. Then it dropped off dramatically to only a few people. Now it's me and like one other person who play this game semi regularly. The others don't even come back for events anymore. Everyone else either moved on to PUBG or even went back to Team Fortress 2.

I never really bothered that much with ranked. I think I played one season for like 20 hours or so because quick play had gotten so terrible it was the only way I could get a half decent game. Other seasons are around the single digits. The one before this one it was giving me like 40-60 SR a win and only a few points a loss because of the goofy "climbing is fun" thing they did. Even though these games had little to no consequence (I literally lost 1 point of SR for a match) they were awful because every single person in those games was a deranged asshole. Winning or losing was irrelevant. I would win a game only for my teammates to start spamming racial and homophobic slurs in all chat and feel like garbage for helping these shit heads win the game.

Game is such a heartbreaker because it feels so good to play but the ruleset in which the game exists in just sucks IMO.

Thanks for that.

I'm honestly not sure what I want from the game, other than for every character to be good. Solo carrying sounds sexy, but the greater whole offered by team cohesion and interdependence sounds rad as well. I would probably play the game either way. For casual play, the former is the clear choice, though.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

Yep - it's been said a billion times (I'm not breaking any new ground), but the influence you, as a single player, has on the outcome of the game is just so damn small outside of MAYBE a good Q. I don't want a game where one person carries every game - but I wish I could dictate the outcome more than I can. Like I've mentioned in the past - I can "call" a game within its first 60 seconds with about 90% accuracy based solely on each team's stack and how well the first minute unfolds for either team.

Count me among those that thought they were getting a different game than the one they did. So much talk of this being Blizzard's Team Fortress, all the talk from the Jeff and the Overwatch team about their inspiration from games like Unreal Tournament and wanting mobility to be a facet of the game. It's something that I still feel at odds with, but I haven't played much in the past few months -- in fact, I barely played a match outside of placements in season 4, then I played a whoppin' 1 game in 5, and now I'm at a big ol' goose egg in 6.

What Anne said about putting FPS in the backseat is very true, it's a game without a lot of individual character depth or nuance, and very strongly (too much for my liking) trying to synergize to an almost symbiotic way with a team. It doesn't even feel on a very fundamental level very FPS-y, characters control in a very jerky, binary way, it's a game about picking the right character, managing cooldowns, and knowing when and where to press Q. It's also why this is one of the dullest FPS games for me to watch on the professional end of things.

The thing is, a lot of this game feels like they're flying by the seat of their pants on the development side, and I think that solidified the moment they started implementing single hero limits on the basis that it would be a temporary solution, only to go y'know what actually nevermind that's what this game is now.

Anne

I'll say now that I've played more Blizzard games, the emphasis away from the individual player using skills to get results isn't surprising. Heroes of the Storm has the same damn problem. WoW has had the same damn problem. Like, if I had played more Blizzard games before OW, I would have seen this coming a mile away.

Any time they want you to team up, they take core things that most games just allow a single player to do, then they divide them up across the cast. It basically means if you want to fully utilize your toolkit, you're going to have to rely on somebody with a different toolkit to fill in the gaps. That is how most games like this work, but the Blizzard special is to take extremely fundamental things to their games and put them on different characters. It creates this absolutely absurd situation where characters literally can't function unless they are getting piggybacked from somebody else.

This is a bit less of an issue in a MOBA or MMO for a lot of reasons. Doing that to an FPS game feels like a lot of garbage. It's also why people are pushing for more generalist designs in the game too. It's not normal for characters to be gimped or buffed so hard in specific areas like this.

Overly synergistic games play well at pressers. Like if you have Snoop Dogg, Geoff "Doritos Pope" Keighly, and Pewdiepie all playing at an event together just derping around, the heavy team focus gives it a lot of flair. Journos just love this shit. The game looks really good on the lot, it's only when the rubber hits the road and it gets released in the wild that it falls apart in the middle of the street.

Team Fortress 2 did have this problem on launch. Crummy maps, no loadouts, and launch Demoman meant you needed the coordination of a seal team to break through certain points. Once new items like the black box got released that allowed people to be medic independent, better maps with more health packs to allow more solo play, and some sane class changes like giving the sniper a crosshair and not making demo and soldier walk around with 10 tons of explosives in their pants the game became very dynamic and fun.

Problem with Overwatch is that the characters are so pared-down to their loadout and map design is married so hard to their character design. Swapping a "loadout" means missing out on an entire character, their lore, their skins, and their fun. Every Overwatch map is just Dustbowl and Goldrush over and over because everywhere has to have a dumb Rheinhardt shield sized chokepoint.

Gorillaz

Overwatch only game to ruin my aim in other shooters. When I went from this to titanfall 2 last fall I was stunned at how slow my reaction time and tracking got.

I love it but yea baby's first fps indeed

Top Bottom