• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

Sombra's skill ceiling has gone up pretty drastically with the changes to the way Hack interacts with Ults now. The timing and decision to use EMP has to be considered even more now, because of how much more potential value you can get out of it now than you could before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQPS7viiSbA

Simple example: If Mei casts Blizzard and Sombra EMPs while Snowball (Mei's little drone that she throws out) is still in the air, Snowball will just disappear, the Blizzard won't go off, Mei will be hacked and at 0% Ult Charge. That's a huge change.

i mean. mei isn't that hard. it takes like 5 years and you can hear mei going off. but i guess others would be interesting. mostly if you know how fast they might have ult and when they plan to push with it.

Blues1990

One of these days, I'll get this photobombing thing right.

Qh6jiCE.jpg

After a bunch of QP games that were really good where people actually chose decent teams and things went well, I decided to try competitive.

Went 1-3, 3 KOTH maps and one 2CP. Ended on a match where a kid who sounded about twelve started calling everyone faggots because only one person went healer (me as Lucio), switched to Mercy, and then just continued a non-stop stream of bile over chat while saying he wasn't going to heal anyone because everyone was so shitty, and ended dropping into Gold range for the first time this season.

Welcome back to Overwatch, me! So glad I came back!

Paltheos

Past 3400 tonight after a surprise win in Junkertown. Both teams thought it would be a funny idea to run Bastion-barrier. I'm fairly convinced the other team was better, but we committed harder to this insanity by running Bastion-double barrier on second round defense and happened to get the right kills before point C to end the round 6-5.

Yeah Cultist Zen has a bunch of unique dialogue like 'listen to the whispers of insanity' when discording

zen is secretly blizzs favorite. tracer is just jeffs favorite

I'm always scared for Zen. Blizzard's nerfed my favorite heroes, and Zen's the only one left untouched. Ever since the patch that added perfect accurate RMB, even I've thought Zen's almost too good, and this is around the point I expect some hammer to slam on him. I think the nerf to Ana's rifle damage was too much, and I could see the same thing happening again.

Blues1990

I'm always scared for Zen. Blizzard's nerfed my favorite heroes, and Zen's the only one left untouched. Ever since the patch that added perfect accurate RMB, even I've thought Zen's almost too good, and this is around the point I expect some hammer to slam on him. I think the nerf to Ana's rifle damage was too much, and I could see the same thing happening again.

At this point, Tracer is the only hero left untouched. All the others have received major or minor number readjustments, bug fixes, and the like.

But Tracer? She is basically the same when the game launched it's beta. It's downright bizarre.

Veelk

Banned
Okay. so I switched to Dualzone when the controls got fucked, thinking it was a better control scheme.

I recently switched back to Exponential ramp as an experiment and holy shit.

I think dualzone is better for Widowmaker and maybe Ana specifically, but that's it. Possibly Hanzo. Maybe it's just the longrange characters overall. I'll have to experiment. But anything close up, god damn. My accuracy went up a shitton with Tracer and D.Va.

Gorillaz

me and owzerz just cleaned up on nepal as zarya and rein first time I think I knowingly ran into a gaffer

owzerz tell them about my perfect zarya ults he even gasped over it's greatness

Owzers

me and owzerz just cleaned up on nepal as zarya and rein first time I think I knowingly ran into a gaffer

owzerz tell them about my perfect zarya ults he even gasped over it's greatness
I forget everything that happens in a game after the next one unless it was supppper bad. I remember it was Nepal and now I know it was you who was from Gaf.

That said, top ten Zarya ults, probably...have you ever considered joining the blog squad? It’s kind of like a guild or clan except it’s nothing like that, but sometimes people play overwatch and group up.

Gorillaz

I forget everything that happens in a game after the next one unless it was supppper bad. I remember it was Nepal and now I know it was you who was from Gaf.

That said, top ten Zarya ults, probably...have you ever considered joining the blog squad? It’s kind of like a guild or clan except it’s nothing like that, but sometimes people play overwatch and group up.
I added lik I might have others but yea whenever I'm on and up for group games sure

also it was a top 5 ult possibly 3

Veelk

Banned
As a game mode, I think Deathmatch is a complete joke. Characters like Junkrat and Roadhog has such an advantage in the score system that it's comical. Other characters like Zarya are nigh useless. And I still think the scoring system is horseshit too. Characters should not get a full kill if they did 10 hp worth of damage. A score system based on elimination percentage would be much better.

As a practice mode, it's alright (For certain characters).

That said, I am biased by the fact htat I suck balls at it.

_Legacy_

Must get skins for me this event are Zen, Zarya, Reaper and McCree. Zen's skin looks too good.

Might buy some boxes since I haven't played Overwatch recently. I'll give FFA a go and see how good it is.

Blues1990

I've gotten so close to beating Junkenstein's Revenge on Legendary (eight times as of this writing), but during the final bout, the "Summoner's" Shield Generator really throws my team off and can fuck us over in an instant.

Also, I need Ana's 80 DPS. She can only tickle the Zomnics now. :(

_Legacy_

Got the Zen skin in a loot box, that was the bare minimum for me. I'll buy the Zarya skin if she doesn't drop before the end of the event. Got enough for another one after that as well, we'll see.

Symmetra'sskin looks good too, reminds me of Sarah Kerrigan/Queen of Blades from Starcraft.

Azoor

Kings Row is actually one of my favorites for FFA. That and Eichenwald are the only two non-DM specific maps that I've liked for the mode.

Dorado is the worst and I can't believe they didn't take it out of the rotation like Volskaya and Horizon.

As a game mode, I think Deathmatch is a complete joke. Characters like Junkrat and Roadhog has such an advantage in the score system that it's comical. Other characters like Zarya are nigh useless. And I still think the scoring system is horseshit too. Characters should not get a full kill if they did 10 hp worth of damage. A score system based on elimination percentage would be much better.

As a practice mode, it's alright (For certain characters).

That said, I am biased by the fact htat I suck balls at it.

None of the characters were designed with deathmatch in mind, it makes sense that some of them would be less useful.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
OMG this should have been Reaper's skin, without that stupid mask.

DL5JbkoXkAMsCGc.jpg

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

DL5JbkoXkAMsCGc.jpg

I'll admit it's stupid we don't have more skins with Reaper's face other than that one legendary. They put all that effort to animate his face, yet only one skin benefit from it.

Kings Row is actually one of my favorites for FFA. That and Eichenwald are the only two non-DM specific maps that I've liked for the mode.
I concur, though Kings Row's cramped nature can lead to some dodgy spawns.

Dorado is the worst and I can't believe they didn't take it out of the rotation like Volskaya and Horizon.

Ohhhh, I was wondering why I hadn't seen them recently.
Horizon was absolute trash in deathmatch.

King's Row is such an annoying FFA map

King's row suffers from Junkrat campers really bad. That large healthpack room is so easily camped by Junkrat it's not even funny. And since it is so centralized, unlike the other maps, it makes it easier for the Junkrat to get them kills. I give it a C+

Eichenwalde was probably my favorite map for FFA, but it can easily be plagued by a Sombra taking both basement health packs. It makes the game very frustrating. I give it a A

My only issue with Dorado was some of the spawns felt very isolated and would take forever to get back to the action. You can see this at the end of my Mercy FFA win. I figured I was screwed when I spawned on the opposite side of the action. I give it a B

Hollywood seems to have too much verticality to it, so you see a lot more Widows, Hanzos, Genjis, and Pharahs because of it. It also seems to be the map where I would respawn in the exact same position way too many times in one match. I give it a B

Chateau is alright, but I really wish there was an opening on the upstairs that connects the paths better. The placement of the one large health pack on the catwalk thing is not good. I give it a B+

I would love to see more maps made available for FFA.

It might not be you because I saw a thread on reddit today of someone saying they were getting less XP while playing mystery heroes.

What's weird is I switched from comp to quickplay and my XP per match improved, despite comp being 2 rounds Vs quickplays 1.

Gonna try comp again later and see what's up.

Let's be honest here, Junk and Hog are the anti-fun of deathmatch opponents.

Throwing out my own thoughts on the current maps in the mode...

Château is unsurprisingly the best one, being designed for the mode and all, a relatively compact mix of close combat corridors with a few more open spots, you can get around it pretty quick even with mobility lacking characters, you've got some solid areas to knock people off stage and a hotspot area down the bottom and health packs are well spread.

Eichenwalde probably fares the best of the non DM maps transitioning to the mode, though its health options can be lacking.
Kings Row is the runner up of non DM maps, though I agree with Kor in that Junkrat in particular can cheese it up with the pub interior.
Hollywood is pretty cumbersome for characters without mobility options as getting to the upper levels via slooooow lift platforms is just not good, spawns here are often some of the worst.
Dorado isn't as bad as I first thought though there's a really unfortunate spawn position in the vault that gets used by the game enough to make it an easy place to ambush.
In general the combat here is centralised in two opposite of the map locations meaning a luck of the draw with spawns situation can apply.

Sometimes I wonder if adding some of those jump pads to these maps would help.
I'm guessing Hanamura got axed as well since I haven't seen that in a while.

What's weird is I switched from comp to quickplay and my XP per match improved, despite comp being 2 rounds Vs quickplays 1.

Gonna try comp again later and see what's up.

Reddit seems to suggest it's only in Mystery Heroes. Which, is anyone taking into account the fact that we're all getting 1 minute less of game time everytime we play mystery heroes due to no character selections anymore?

Pooya

yeah junkrat ruined FFA and Mercy rework killed TDM. They even removed TDM now with this patch. It was unplayable anyway. What I liked about FFA was good for practice those first few weeks now it's just getting killed by random mines of 4 junkrats on every game because it's easy lootbox to play junk. Spawns are still a mess too, people just quickly revenge respawn and shoot you from behind. It's so stupid.

Honestly, I expected FFA to go away almost entirely when the Halloween event started. That's why I was so desperate to finish my FFA games before then.

dawgparty

The jazzy Lucio skin is not visually pleasing at all but damn I love the heal/movespeed song changes. Made it the Lucio skin of choice for me.

psyfi

Banned
I still haven't touched FFA. It sounds like such a mess, honestly. It's hard to believe it's fun? I should try it lol

The jazzy Lucio skin is not visually pleasing at all but damn I love the heal/movespeed song changes. Made it the Lucio skin of choice for me.
I am (or was till Mercy got buffed) a Lucio main and that's the only skin of his I like. And I don't have it.

LiK

FFA had potential but they really need to work on maps made specifically for this mode. Cutting up normal maps was a bad idea.

Chateau and King's Row are favorable to Junkrat and Symmetra players.

Eichenwalde and Hollywood are favorable to Widowmaker and Hanzo players, in addition to the above.

Dorado is favorable to Pharah and Torbjorn players, in addition to the above.

Chateau and King's Row are favorable to Junkrat and Symmetra players.

Eichenwalde and Hollywood are favorable to Widowmaker and Hanzo players, in addition to the above.

Dorado is favorable to Pharah and Torbjorn players, in addition to the above.

I disagree with your Dorado characters. Dorado is too open for Pharah and she gets focus fired pretty quickly.

Because of the sightlines It's also super easy to avoid Torb Turrets. A lot of combat takes place in the bank/vault area, and you aren't getting a good turret kill in there. You'll definitely rack up some assists though.

Pharah actually works pretty well on Chateau, and Torb on Eichenwalde.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

DL5JbkoXkAMsCGc.jpg
But that would've made sense!
I've cheesed Eichenwalde & Hollywood as Pharah because of Junkrats.
King's row suffers from Junkrat campers really bad. That large healthpack room is so easily camped by Junkrat it's not even funny. And since it is so centralized, unlike the other maps, it makes it easier for the Junkrat to get them kills. I give it a C+

Eichenwalde was probably my favorite map for FFA, but it can easily be plagued by a Sombra taking both basement health packs. It makes the game very frustrating. I give it a A

My only issue with Dorado was some of the spawns felt very isolated and would take forever to get back to the action. You can see this at the end of my Mercy FFA win. I figured I was screwed when I spawned on the opposite side of the action. I give it a B

Hollywood seems to have too much verticality to it, so you see a lot more Widows, Hanzos, Genjis, and Pharahs because of it. It also seems to be the map where I would respawn in the exact same position way too many times in one match. I give it a B

Chateau is alright, but I really wish there was an opening on the upstairs that connects the paths better. The placement of the one large health pack on the catwalk thing is not good. I give it a B+

I would love to see more maps made available for FFA.
This is a solid asssessment.

Anyone else who uses Doomfist tend to find that for reasons unknown Reaper has this uncanny ability to negate punch distance? like I smack him with full charge during his ult and he wont go as far as others, he seems to be able to use wraith to cancel momentum and other times in general I swear he just no sells that shit.

mollipen

Last night was the first night I've actually just quit a FFA DM out of frustration. It takes a lot of work as Mercy to kill someone, and then someone getting one shot off, killing the person I had been busting my ass to wear down, and taking my kill is just so demoralizing.

Usually that makes me work harder to earn every kill I can, but I was halfway through a game with only two points when I'd been involved in so many brutal firefights that I just couldn't take it.

I'm not sure how I'd change it to make it better—and I also don't know that I'd honestly call what we've got now "broken"—but man is the current points system the bane of my existence sometimes.

...I guess one comes at things very differently when health packs aren't a concern. :D

I still haven't touched FFA. It sounds like such a mess, honestly. It's hard to believe it's fun? I should try it lol

Part of why it's a lot of fun is that it's a gigantic chaotic mess.

Let's be honest here, Junk and Hog are the anti-fun of deathmatch opponents.

I'll take a Junkrat over a Tracer any day. I want her entire existence erased from DM. *random profanities*

Top Bottom