• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paltheos

Okay, just had the weirdest damn thing happen in competitive play.

We absolutely stomp on Attack on Eichenwald, 3 to nothing. I had been playing Lucio on Attack, and switch to Mercy for defense. As I'm running to the point alongside our Zarya, something seems off. I look around and see a Zarya, a Reaper... and no one else. I check the stats screen, and everyone else has locked in their teams, but... none of the other players are there.

And as the match goes on, it's fairly obvious that the other team is having similar issues. I only counted three among their numbers, too. After the first respawn, the Reaper on our team just stops moving and doesn't budge again until the match is over. So it's just me and Zarya against three enemies, no idea what happened to the other players.

Despite both of us switching to Lucio and Tracer at the end, we can't manage to hold them off 2v3, and it goes 3 to 3. I had had chat turned off, so I have no idea how the other person was even reacting to this, but I guess at some point we decided to say "fuck it, this match is messed up anyway" and picked Torbjorn and Symmetra when we rolled to defense again. And amazingly, we actually held them off. But despite our best efforts, the enemy team picking Torbjorn, Bastion, and Reinhardt was enough to hold us off on Attack (I would have picked Pharah to try and hit the distant turret, but she was one of the characters that our departed teammates had picked, and was still locked up), and it ended as a 3-3 draw.

And on the end screen with our team, it just showed me and the other player, not even any spots for the other folks who vanished. Weirdest damn match I've ever had.

Blizzard's being DDOSed right now. A bunch of people got DCed from their games. That's probably what happened to your teammates.

I had some problems today in a match on Ilios, my character was teleporting all over the place and when I returned to the spawn it didn't let me change my character nor leave the game. Had to close the application, take the loss and 10m penalty... only after a hour or so the game was back to normal.

Blizzard's being DDOSed right now. A bunch of people got DCed from their games. That's probably what happened to your teammates.

Yeah, saw that as I came on to post, probably the reason. Kinda pissed that a match that started so well ended up a draw because of a bunch of script kiddies, but I suppose it could have been worse; we might have lost.

In solo-queue plat / gold comp, I've been on three teams that pull back to the second arch on Dorado defense and just cede the first half of the first CP... but the strategy never seems to pay off. It always seems like they push through us more easily than when we try to hold them at the first arch, and we've got a lot less time to get back from spawn if we get killed.

I've also never been fortunate(?) enough to have the other team do this to us when we're on attack, so I'm not quite sure how it would feel on the attack side. Has anyone had any luck with this strategy?
This is generally the strat that the pros use, so I imagine it would suck for pubs lol.

In solo-queue plat / gold comp, I've been on three teams that pull back to the second arch on Dorado defense and just cede the first half of the first CP... but the strategy never seems to pay off. It always seems like they push through us more easily than when we try to hold them at the first arch, and we've got a lot less time to get back from spawn if we get killed.

I've also never been fortunate(?) enough to have the other team do this to us when we're on attack, so I'm not quite sure how it would feel on the attack side. Has anyone had any luck with this strategy?

<sensible chuckle>

I've been on communicating teams that can pull of grouping up on the roof at end of the straightaway after the very first curve. You can see every route except the underground hallway from there, and react appropriately. The psychological effects of a Rein dropping on you from height cannot be oversold at the lower levels.

It baffles me that there are people out there that find pleasure in millions of people's suffering. Seriously, fuck those people.

I swear to god, if it's those salty hackers again....

xaosslug

lmao, all the time peeps in soloQ trying dem pro strats... T__T

the ONLY pro strat that ever worked w/ a team I was on in comp was Lucio SPEED BOOST @ Anubis choke... it was insane and beautiful. We took the first point in less than 60 seconds.

I-hate-u

https://youtu.be/avc074x-cRk
https://youtu.be/ykghf4tH0qs
https://youtu.be/Ai-7szfyde0

Note that reunited actually countered them with 4 tanks 2 supports.

The central pillars of the snowball remains the same though. Ana builds ult by the tanks eating poke, and then rein bullies everyone until he gets earthshatter, rinse repeat.

Also reunited ran 2/2/2 on numbani which showed the comp's weakness in mobility.

It's unbelievable how fast Ana builds ult in this comp.

Sometimes there are some guys that ask to group up in that place but I just ignore them unless I'm playing healer. I definitely prefer taking advantage of the higher ground before the arch.

In Gibraltar though it's actually pretty good when you defend near the first checkpoint.

I-hate-u

Ana Ult charge needs a nerf

I think she's good where she is. Support ults in this game are top tier, so her's would have to be good too to hang with the Mercys, Lucios and Zens.

What is up with Torb on defense in Numbani's first point? Is there some secret meta? Ninja in Pijamas did work with it too.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Numbani was always one of the maps people would run torb with back in the day. Can put it in sections that are harder for the attackers to get to while dealing with team fights.

Have any console players had luck setting up an account on the Overwatch forums? I put my B.net account in, but it doesn't work. I assume you have to own the game on PC for your PC account to work?

My brain is falling apart not being able to say what I think in some of these threads.

There is a guy who has made 3 threads on the front page about nerfing Genji. I'm not even kidding.

And he's a Mercy main, someone that Genji counters.....

LiK

Have any console players had luck setting up an account on the Overwatch forums? I put my B.net account in, but it doesn't work. I assume you have to own the game on PC for your PC account to work?

My brain is falling apart not being able to say what I think in some of these threads.

There is a guy who has made 3 threads on the front page about nerfing Genji. I'm not even kidding.

And he's a Mercy main, someone that Genji counters.....

works for me now. found out about a a day after S1 ended and I was checking the forums for people's feedback. i was even able to make new threads.

Anyone find the characer portraits to be severely lacking? Looks very pre alpha

I hope they get better and clearer designs. Guys like Zenyatta look downright terrible

works for me now. found out about a a day after S1 ended and I was checking the forums for people's feedback. i was even able to make new threads.
What did you do to get your account logged in? I have a b.net account, but it won't let in.

I'll try again later, I probably just don't remember my password or something lol.

LiK

What did you do to get your account logged in? I have a b.net account, but it won't let in.

I'll try again later, I probably just don't remember my password or something lol.

yea, just my usual BNet account. nothing else. your BNet is linked to your PSN account right?

A qp match on defense had 5 people as mei but the one dude who refused to change insisted on playing Widowmaker and left before setup was done. He had played Widowmaker the last 3 matches and was absolute garbage.

But sure, you're gonna lose because of the 5 Mei's....

There's always that one dude who refuse to switch over for 6 stacking in qp games and it bugs me to no end. Live a little.

DevilDog

Anyone find the characer portraits to be severely lacking? Looks very pre alpha

I hope they get better and clearer designs. Guys like Zenyatta look downright terrible

Beta character models were much better.

f96DoZo.png

Clear. minimalistic, perfect.

Not sure how 'normal' those linked games were. But it didn't look like 3/3 it looked like 3/2 with a wild card that was a fourth tank way more often than it was a Zenyatta. And reunited absolutely wrecked them with 2/2/2 at the end, so it's not invincible. I will admit that the constant nano boost->Earthshatter is lame though. Really not sure how you can fix it because Ana is still hardly ever picked in normal games and Reinhardt seems perfectly balanced. Nerfing either one because they happen to form an amazing combo when played at a pro level doesn't seem likely. Wonder what will happen. Didn't see a lot that make me think 3/3 is some crazy thing though. Valluntaja wrecked as Tracer, and Kyb as Genji when he played him.

Also interesting that Roadhog got a nerf and he seems to be played more than ever.

What nerf did roadhog get?
I'm assuming he's talking about the hook change that was supposed to be a buff. It was supposed to fix a problem with the hook, which it did, but it also made previous bugs with Hog worse and created a couple more.

Theres a bug that doesn't hook him close enough.

There's one at hooks him slightly elevated.

It's bad, but Hog is still just as amazing as before.

Salarians

Group with a quad and one other solo: quad picks questionable characters, doesn't communicate, no team synergy at all

Group with five other solos: great team composition, constant communication, everyone working in unison. Enemy team is crushed &#127770;&#127773;

Hook doesn't pull them as far so 200 health heroes don't die to the shotgun blast after the hook nearly as often.

huh, I had been noticing it was less effective than the beta

there have been a few times where zero suit d.va has survived a hook + shotgun...

I just discovered the strategy of hooking someone on a platform facing the abyss though lol. Some dude did it to me, once you get hooked you're automatically dead.

huh, I had been noticing it was less effective than the beta

there have been a few times where zero suit d.va has survived a hook + shotgun...

I just discovered the strategy of hooking someone on a platform facing the abyss though lol. Some dude did it to me, once you get hooked you're automatically dead.
I never understand why the hog doesn't shoot you when they do that. Yeah it seems pointless, because they're dead either way, but you're getting ult charge by shooting them. It's amazing how many hogs don't realize this.
No, the hero portraits are terrible
Honestly, is it really that big of a deal? They're clear enough that you can tell which character is which and it's not like you're constantly looking at them.

And tbh, I think they look fine right now. It's really at the bottom of the list for Blizz to change.

antitrop

Got Play of the Match with Zenyatta and an Epic vote to go with it. Killed a Lucio diving onto the point with a few seconds left, which just barely charged my Ult to full, just in time to Transcendence through the enemy Reaper shifting in behind Lucio to Death Blossom for a potential Quintuple Kill.

It wasn't an especially spectacular play, the match was an easy 3-0 victory without anyone pulling off any big multikills, but it feels nice to get POTM as a support other than Mercy.

finalflame

Gold Member
Join game, get in voice channel, "Hey guys, what's up?"

Radio silence.

Chat channel: "Hey guys, voice?"

Radio silence.

Proceed to get absolutely fucking OBLITERATED on Route 66 offense, can't even cap the first point, everyone just jumping around like fucking monkeys.

Opposing team pushes cart on first try.

This game really kills your spirits. If you don't communicate, get the fuck out of competitive.

matmanx1

Just had a terrible comp game at Eichenwald, we defend and our team picks Junkrat, Torb and Hanzo, I can accept these picks but not all 3 at the same time. We asked our Hanzo to switch on attack and he did but he sucked, then I checked his profile. He only has played Hanzo. Level 40 and he only played Hanzo. Enough comp for tonight I guess.

This is why, unless you are playing with the top 5% or so of the player base, you should encourage folks in comp to play whoever they are best with. There are A LOT of people out there that can really only play 1 or 2 characters with any sort of skill. More than you would think.

You have really good aim, I watched your game on QP in Lijiang and you were wrecking the other team with D.Va
without mech lol

Today was a nice day, I finally got a winning streak (5 games) playing mostly Soldier. I also win more SR (~30) when I play dps/tank instead of support (besides Zenyatta) and lose less SR (~20) if I don't win the game. I wonder if it's because of the medals.

The last match I played today on Hollywood was very funny, I had two mistakes that led my team to be wiped out twice lol. Thankfully we still won.

You were doing some work as Pharah there at the end. Nice job!

matmanx1

Got Play of the Match with Zenyatta and an Epic vote to go with it. Killed a Lucio diving onto the point with a few seconds left, which just barely charged my Ult to full, just in time to Transcendence through the enemy Reaper shifting in behind Lucio to Death Blossom for a potential Quintuple Kill.

It wasn't an especially spectacular play, the match was an easy 3-0 victory without anyone pulling off any big multikills, but it feels nice to get POTM as a support other than Mercy.

As a guy who plays a lot of Zenyatta I would love to get a PoTG with him sometime. I got one on the test server right after they buffed him that was similar to what you are describing but despite ruining lots of Death Blossom's and other ults with Zen I haven't gotten a PoTG with him on live.

And speaking of PoTG, it makes sense in my mind that those should only be pulled from the winning team, especially in Comp. Does it make sense that THE play of the game would be on the losing side? It makes more sense to me for it to be something that helped the winning team win. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom