• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Luna stream at all? I'd like to see some VODs of his support play.

Looking at my stats, I'm usually either an insane DPS Ana or insane healer, but yesterday I was the best of both worlds. Feel like I'll never play that well again.

Cappa

Banned
Kaplan started a shitstorm yesterday lol

From overwatch forums in a thread titled: "Why is Roadhog being compensated for his nerf?"

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753318521?page=1#detail

Kaplan said:
Many players seem to think of things in a very binary or black and white sort of way. For example, a hero needs either a buff or a nerf. A lot of players also come at things from a binary point of view, meaning they either see themselves as that hero or the victim of a hero.

We try to approach things from a more objective stance (and many other players do as well), meaning we want to represent both the people playing a certain hero as well as those fighting against that hero.

While "maining" heroes is perfectly natural and bound to happen (even though it is a team-based game where you have access to all the heroes and team composition really does win fights more often than not), the "maining" mentality of calling for nerfs/buffs is often pretty flawed. When "mains" of a certain hero call for nerfs against another hero, they are often not satisfied until that hero has any viability whatsoever.

We try to be as objective, deliberate and careful as possible when it comes to balancing heroes. We don't usually think of things as simply as, "Hero X needs a buff or Hero Y needs a nerf". Heroes sometimes need to be adjusted... and that can mean a mix of tuning certain things up and tuning certain things down. We try to preserve what we believe to be the core of a character and try to balance around this core without destroying the spirit of what the character was supposed to be/do.

So I know not all of you think this way, but a lot of our players are only happy with very binary balancing: nerf or buff. And even though it might seem like that's what happens with a lot of heroes, we rarely start from that place in our balance discussions. We try to represent the players of those heroes as much as the victims of those heroes. In a perfect world, you all should technically be both...

I think it's totally fair to disagree with some of our balance decisions. I just wanted to share some insight as to how we approached balance.

Kaplan said:
207516504958 said:
If only this devs would be more focused on releasing more heroes ppl would care less about balance.

We have new heroes coming. I don't think people will care less about balance though.

The reason we don't talk about new hero development more is we took the community feedback regarding the Sombra ARG to heart.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
That's fair enough honestly. When I'm talking about widowmaker or roadhog nerfs my ideal would be deleting them from the game.

Antiwhippy

OGN grouping is kinda eh honestly. Hope they do season 3 better. No reason why group 2 has to be so ridiculously stacked.

FerranMG

I recently broke 2000 SR.
Do I get any benefit for finish the season at gold?
Seeing the season is so close to finish, I don't know if I should "risk" playing more and facing the possibility of being demoted to silver again.

Seeing the season is so close to finish, I don't know if I should "risk" playing more and facing the possibility of being demoted to silver again.

You get rewarded based on your highest rank achieved, so there's really no risk in playing.

Antiwhippy

You get more CP. You will get more even if you fall back down because it's based on your season high.

Also your next season placements is more based on the SR you end up in.

PatjuhR

I hate myself.

I just can't not revive 3 players if I got the possibility even though the only reason I'm playing Mercy is to get that 4 rez trophy.

Skii

Show us the information where they have significantly higher winrates playing hog in comp than on any other hero. I don't understand how it helps climb when hog is on both teams every time. In other words, it doesn't, still a matter of being the better player.

Is going to be funny, if they stick with what is on PTR it is actually a buff for the skilled Roadhog players.

I have a 33-34 record with Roadhog ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

These guys are clearly good Roadhogs. And they've exploited the fact that for this entire season he's had no counter and has an insane HP pool thanks to Ana. And then take into account that picks are the most important thing this season and that ensures some questionable players ending up in GM because they can play Roadhog well.

maomaoIYP

These guys are clearly good Roadhogs. And they've exploited the fact that for this entire season he's had no counter and has an insane HP pool thanks to Ana. And then take into account that picks are the most important thing this season and that ensures some questionable players ending up in GM because they can play Roadhog well.

? I don't know man, you're saying what they're good Roadhogs, but they exploit the fact that they are good with him hence they don't deserve to be GM? Hardly a fair thing to say, imo.

Antiwhippy

Yeah complaining about people using high tier heroes is dumb in fighting games, and it's dumb here as well.

If they can use them to climb with their skill then it's all fair game. Nothing stopping you from doing the same.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

So they're good players that hit GM because of their skills with one character. How many people hit GM off the back of dva buffs and basically had the rug swept from under them? Or are solely good at Ana but flounder in another role. Or carry with Zarya but can't do shit if they need to support or dps.

Does that mean they don't deserve GM if it's off the back of the skill with one character? Is it not natural that if you're good at a character well suited in the meta you will rise regardless? Plus there's been a bunch of SR inflation across the board simply due to tweaks under the hood anyway.

But nah, roadhog.

JHall

I still feel Hog was never ridiculously OP like everyone says, he went a full two competitive seasons being the same without anyone batting an eye at him. It was the past and current meta that allowed him to thrive along with Ana being able to heal him through a nuclear blast.

Antiwhippy

I still feel Hog was never ridiculously OP like everyone says, he went a full two competitive seasons being the same without anyone batting an eye at him. It was the past and current meta that allowed him to thrive along with Ana being able to heal him through a nuclear blast.

Nah, people have been calling bullshit on him for awhile now.

It was only really the zen meta that stopped his ascent but he was played a lot before the zen meta.

LiK

I feel like Roadhog in Season 3 is being looked at like Zarya in Season 2. Everyone feared Zarya back then. I dunno, just focus fire on them as a team and they'll die quick.

The problem with Roadhog is he has on average about a 50% chance of one hit killing another player every six seconds. It's not great balance to make a character that has that kind of potential when there isn't a lot the other player can do to stop it.

Also if Roadhog was like the PTR patch since the beginning I think no one would bat and eye at whwre he would be balance-wise. That said I do think he is probably a little underpowered at this point.

JHall

It was only really the zen meta that stopped his ascent but he was played a lot before the zen meta.

The point I'm getting at is that with different metas different heroes are going to become the new "hotness". Can't wait till this new meta settles in and people start complaining about another hero that has risen to the top.

Skii

? I don't know man, you're saying what they're good Roadhogs, but they exploit the fact that they are good with him hence they don't deserve to be GM? Hardly a fair thing to say, imo.

Well it would be interesting to see if they would've made GM with any of their other "mains". I highly doubt it from the quality of play I saw.

Yeah complaining about people using high tier heroes is dumb in fighting games, and it's dumb here as well.

If they can use them to climb with their skill then it's all fair game. Nothing stopping you from doing the same.

Yes, there's no merits to questioning the balance of a hero that allows someone to move from gold to GM in one season solely playing that hero...

So they're good players that hit GM because of their skills with one character. How many people hit GM off the back of dva buffs and basically had the rug swept from under them? Or are solely good at Ana but flounder in another role. Or carry with Zarya but can't do shit if they need to support or dps.

Does that mean they don't deserve GM if it's off the back of the skill with one character? Is it not natural that if you're good at a character well suited in the meta you will rise regardless? Plus there's been a bunch of SR inflation across the board simply due to tweaks under the hood anyway.

But nah, roadhog.

I reckon Roadhog has seen more people make these enormous jumps this season (i.e from gold to GM) than any of the other heroes. I'd like to see some Anas that have gone from gold to GM this season.

I don't really understand your argument about people having main heroes? I don't think you understand what I was getting at...

And I'm not saying they don't deserve it. They exploited the best DPS character this season and are sitting pretty in GM. I just found it funny and again thought it was further evidence that Roadhog wasn't really as balanced as some people thought considering what an enormous jump it was.

LiK

The point I'm getting at is that with different metas different heroes are going to become the new "hotness". Can't wait till this new meta settles in and people start complaining about another hero that has risen to the top.

Bastion is next.

Skii

Well if the new meta allows a certain hero to define it to the point where it largely affects diversity, they will have to balance the game. That's literally how balancing works...

I'm sorry Roadhog users, but I think Roadhog is currently stupid (as in stupidly good). Being able to instantly kill someone no problem that isn't a tank every six seconds or so is so ridiculous and broken.

Geneijin

I thought ever since ult generation got reduced in Season 2, his 6 second Chain Hook cooldown became ludicrous. I've been asking for an increased cooldown (8 seconds or more) for it since. It's amazing how many abilities it trades in Roadhog's favor right now.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I reckon Roadhog has seen more people make these enormous jumps this season (i.e from gold to GM) than any of the other heroes. I'd like to see some Anas that have gone from gold to GM this season.

I don't really understand your argument about people having main heroes? I don't think you understand what I was getting at...

And I'm not saying they don't deserve it. They exploited the best DPS character this season and are sitting pretty in GM. I just found it funny and again thought it was further evidence that Roadhog wasn't really as balanced as some people thought considering what an enormous jump it was.

You're not saying they don't deserve it? but you literally saying stuff like this "ensures some questionable players ending up in GM because they can play Roadhog well" and he was a good player but "GM...lol" which, uh, sure sounds like you're deriding them and don't think they deserve to be in GM. Which is why I mentioned the hero maining aspect in that there's a whole lot of one tricky ponies rising because their character is good and they know how to use them well.

But there's still SR bloat and a ton of plat/diamond players got placed high and quickly made master and up. There's way more systems at work than to just toss players like that under the bus. Maybe the dude placed in gold or plat, genuinely improved his play and worked his ass of to make GM and have some dude shit on his accomplishment. The way you post about it just really rubs me the wrong way. Not to mention this isn't statistically based at all, you just 'reckon' people only rose with Roadhog because you hate the character.

maomaoIYP

Well it would be interesting to see if they would've made GM with any of their other "mains". I highly doubt it from the quality of play I saw.
A good player is a good player, doesn't matter who he's using. Being a Roadhog main doesn't magically make you GM. If so, we'd all be GM already. Doesn't matter if they'd be GM if they mained something else. Evermore, the #1 player with 5000 SR plays almost nothing but Roadhog in comp. Does that make him a player who doesn't deserve his rank?

NeoRaider

the 8 second CD is gonna be a good nerf.

That's not really a good nerf. I mean it's ok but 2 sec. cooldown increase will not make things less frustrating.

I hate heroes that can kill you while you are not able to defend yourself and do anything about it. That will always be the problem in this game. When Hog hooks you, and you have less than 400hp you are 99% dead, and you can't change that.

JHall

Well if the new meta allows a certain hero to define it to the point where it largely affects diversity, they will have to balance the game. That's literally how balancing works...

I know how balancing works. What I'm saying is if you nerf an A-tier hero it only makes sense that a C-tier hero is going to rise up and most likely take its place. Then people are going to complain about that hero. This game will never have "perfect balance" and I'm okay with that.

LiK

That's not really a good nerf. I mean it's ok but 2 sec. cooldown increase will not make things less frustrating.

I hate heroes that can kill you while you are not able to defend yourself and do anything about it. That will always be the problem in this game. When Hog hooks you, and you have less than 400hp you are 99% dead, and you can't change that.

i think the hitboxes on smaller heroes will be interesting. i was watching analysis videos and his distance nerf makes it harder to one shot heroes like Ana for some reason. Also, D.va DM buff will be much more useful against him. i think 8 seconds is a pretty good nerf time.

but like i said before, dodging his hooks aren't hard for me. i mainly get hooked from Hogs who flank me from behind or randomly shoot their hooks into a group fight.

Skii

You're not saying they don't deserve it? but you literally saying stuff like this "ensures some questionable players ending up in GM because they can play Roadhog well" and he was a good player but "GM...lol" which, uh, sure sounds like you're deriding them and don't think they deserve to be in GM. Which is why I mentioned the hero maining aspect in that there's a whole lot of one tricky ponies rising because their character is good.

But there's still SR bloat and a ton of plat/diamond players got placed high and quickly made master and up. There's way more systems at work than to just toss players like that under the bus. Maybe the dude placed in gold or plat, genuinely improved his play and worked his ass of to make GM and have some dude shit on his accomplishment. The way you post about it just really rubs me the wrong way. Not to mention this isn't statistically based at all, you just 'reckon' people only rose with Roadhog because you hate the character.

They played the game with their best hero who was clearly unbalanced and benefited greatly from it. I'm not going to blame them. That's blizzards fault. They deserve GM because they didn't hack or cheat or game the system. They just used their best hero and managed to make a monumental climb due to a lack of game balance.

I'd be more likely to believe someone made this incredible improvement if they had mained anyone that wasn't Dva or Roadhog this season. Like I said, I'd like to see even an Ana that's gone from gold to GM since I feel like that character has a far higher skill ceiling even if she was unbalanced.

I don't know why my statements rub you the wrong way lol. And I don't even hate Roadhog. I play him sometimes but I just found it funny that this is another case of someone going from gold/plat this season by being a Roadhog main.

Jellie

Remember watching a GM reinhardt main stream who had a hog main on his team who rose from 2200 within a week of season 3 starting. His game sense and positioning kept triggering the reinhardt main which was funny. Kept saying he didn't belong there and he was inflated. He got pretty tilted.

finalflame

Gold Member
They played the game with their best hero who was clearly unbalanced and benefited greatly from it. I'm not going to blame them. That's blizzards fault. They deserve GM because they didn't hack or cheat or game the system. They just used their best hero and managed to make a monumental climb due to a lack of game balance.

I'd be more likely to believe someone made this incredible improvement if they had mained anyone that wasn't Dva or Roadhog this season. Like I said, I'd like to see even an Ana that's gone from gold to GM since I feel like that character has a far higher skill ceiling even if she was unbalanced.

I don't know why my statements rub you the wrong way lol. And I don't even hate Roadhog. I play him sometimes but I just found it funny that this is another case of someone going from gold/plat this season by being a Roadhog main.

I think this is spot-on. D.Va and Roadhog were both monumentally broken this season and made climbing with those heroes much less of a matter of skill than other, properly balanced heroes.

AbaFadi

Banned
Remember watching a GM reinhardt main stream who had a hog main on his team who rose from 2200 within a week of season 3 starting. His game sense and positioning kept triggering the reinhardt main which was funny. Kept saying he didn't belong there and he was inflated. He got pretty tilted.

A lot of games in GM are filled with people like that. Maybe not 2200 low, but around low 3000. Most of the top players from season 2 hate this season's matchmaking for that reason.

I've never really had a problem with Roadhog, and I don't really mind what they do with him. I don't think he was ever an issue, and I think the usage rates among tanks backs that up. I don't find him overpowered pre-PTR, nor do I think he'll be underpowered post-PTR, so they can really do whatever they want with him and it's not really a concern of mine because hey I guess it means less teammates being lemmings to him. But if Roadhog was some perpetually "overpowered" character and yet only had people climb with him in season 3, it doesn't really check out.

He's good at carrying in an uncoordinated scenario though that's for sure, so he really is the solo queue star.

I think Roadhog could be toned down a bit, but I think Soldier, Reinhardt, and Ana all need it more. I'm not upset about Roadhog nerfs, but I really hope I see fixes for those other characters as well. My team almost never loses if we pick a full "top tier" composition.

I think Roadhog is often underwhelming outside of his hook combo, so if his new shotgun spread helps him be relevant outside of that cooldown period, I'm okay with the change.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Thing is Roadhog being a hybrid Tank + DPS kind of Hero, the thing that arises is he's way to powerful 1 vs 1, hell sometimes 3 vs 1

Team focus priority shifts if he is in play, but most teams forget how to team play

Say there's a Rein, Roadhog, Tracer, Soldier, Ana, Lucio as Defend
Your team is say Rein, Zarya, Soldier, Pharah, Mercy, Lucio on Attack

Rein cancels each other out
Soldiers same thing
Tracer has advantage to pick back line, but Pharah being the eye in the sky can keep Tracer humble
Healers are even, push as they

Zarya and Roadhog battle differs now
Zarya can't push up way to hard, she needs a distract or + bubble buddy to reap benefits
Roadhog on the other hand has free Roam to pick squishes at heart every 6 seconds

You need Pharah + Soldier + Zarya (boosted barrier wise) to take him out
So 3 players have to almost DPS him down to negate him
While doing this, healers will be pushing up his health + his CD for getting his health backup, while yours are getting pestered by Tracer

It really requires Team effort to drop a Hog

It sucks so much that you solo a Hog 1 v 1, get him to hook bait, misses, you pump him with damage, see him gulp away restoring Health while your damaging away still, turn, and have his hook back up, grab, insta-gib

That's where the thing pisses people off the most
If you get the drop on most Heroes you have a great % of getting the win, but with Hog its mostly a loss

You can burn his health down, only to see him gulp it back up while your blasting away at him
Then your at a disadvantage

I've seen it countless times he's getting hammered and mid battle while getting shot up just Gulp down and survive

With 8 sec hook, those 2 secs will be huge, but I had the thought of, if Road chugs his health back up, if no damage taken during it, 100% intake, but if gulping up health while taking damage, it should only give him back 50-75%
Its fucking stupid a Hero mid battle can re-up that much health, negate your damage and return it back to you because the CD's are super quick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom